• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

QUAKFEST 12: OWNERS ARE COMING HOOOME ~*11-15-08*~ (address change)

Status
Not open for further replies.

replicate

Smash Lord
HAHAHAHAHA

it's not choking when you're ****ing around, that's my motto! xD

and andre I can't :( I'm going to socal for thanksgiving
where your reading comprehension at

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
oh oops my bad.

who else wants to mm my ic's

sup ky

is there a player named Sol waiting for u somewhere?

SuperRad

Smash Master
JMT peaked at Violent By Design imo
Visions of Gandhi and Legacy of Blood both had some solid tracks but they weren't as good on the whole.
I didn't care for Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell really. Stoupe still brought the sick beats but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I should give it another listen.

I haven't heard the new one but I can't imagine it being that good. Jus Allah might bring something back that JMT has been missing though.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
JMT peaked on the track Uncommon Valor.

and thats only b/c RA the Rugged Man unleashed the beastliest verse I've heard in a while.

still <3 jmt though.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
JMT peaked at Violent By Design imo
Visions of Gandhi and Legacy of Blood both had some solid tracks but they weren't as good on the whole.
I didn't care for Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell really. Stoupe still brought the sick beats but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I should give it another listen.

I haven't heard the new one but I can't imagine it being that good. Jus Allah might bring something back that JMT has been missing though.
It goes Violent by Design = Servants in Heaven > Legacy of Blood > Visions of Gandhi

I've only listened to the new one once, but it's definitely underwhelming. Jus Allah sucks as much **** as I thought he would, which alone will probably guarantee it being the worst album. God Jus Allah is atrocious, so so so bad.

SuperRad

Smash Master
I listened to the first half of Servants last night before going to bed, it's definitely not that good.
So far nothing on it matches up to some of the tracks from Visions of Gandhi, their second weakest album [Blood In Blood Out, Animal Rap, Nada Cambia].

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
If you think you can determine how good an album is based off of one listen -- or really, anything less than 10 -- then you're not very good at music.

Just sifting through the album, Put Em In The Grave, Suicide, Uncommon Valor... Yeah this album is amazing, it flows so well, you can see how much better Vinnie Paz is on the mic -- he's FINALLY a legitimately good rapper.

SuperRad

Smash Master
If you think you can determine how good an album is based off of one listen -- or really, anything less than 10 -- then you're not very good at music.

Just sifting through the album, Put Em In The Grave, Suicide, Uncommon Valor... Yeah this album is amazing, it flows so well, you can see how much better Vinnie Paz is on the mic -- he's FINALLY a legitimately good rapper.
I can tell how much I like something off of one listen most of the time. Rarely do I listen to an album once, think "well this isn't very good" and then listen to it again and be like "well this is good, what am i thinking!". the vast majority of the music i listen to i liked on first listen and then liked it more as time went on.

And it's not my first listen anyways. It's my first listen in a while. I was giving it a second chance.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Iunno. It takes me longer then one listen to be honest.

I hated Lil Wayne's The Carter 3 on the first listen. and now i only sorta hate it.

Same w/ a few of the Beastie albums. I'd be like WTF is this? then it'd be like 'this is genius'

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
yeah you're doing yourself a huge disfavor if you think you can listen to an album a couple of times and know if it's good or not. of course it's not going to be common, but that's because most albums don't sound different from what you've already heard. i can come up with countless examples that saw me view the album in a much different light after a couple of listens, from needing ~5 listens to ~10 or even ~25.

maybe it works for you and such, but it kind of invalidates your opinion to be anything more than "casual listener."

really, you can think about it logically too. humans reject stuff they're not familiar with, but can easily adapt over time. there's a lot of music that is different or sounds weird to you for whatever reason, and you're going to be inclined to look at it negatively by default. keep listening and you adapt to the sound and can learn the nuances and then form a valid opinion. especially apropos considering servants in heaven... sounds very different from their previous albums.

but yeah i hate talking about music

pockyD

Smash Legend
I personally don't think that an album you'd have to listen to 25 times to enjoy is worth your time. that's like 24 hours of listening time, spent listening to something you don't enjoy while you're doing it. It's far more reasonable to just move on and listen to something you like from the start. At the same time, you would accept that you have nothing to critique that album on other than "I didn't like it"

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
i think great art is worth the time. i also can't think of any greater art than music.

yeah it is more reasonable, but not if you really love music. i do.

pockyD

Smash Legend
but if art A makes you happy right away, while art B makes you happy only after being locked in a room with it for 24 hours (i'm obviously exaggerating), then art A is the rational choice for what someone "likes" (not necessarily what is "better")

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
1. "better" is more important than "like." it's the difference between a casual fan and a hardcore fan.

2. the subjective enjoyment you will experience after persevering through it and finally realizing the greatness of art B is much more than the enjoyment you'll get from art A

watch, we're gonna get into the "omg but music is all subjective" thing

pockyD

Smash Legend
who's claiming to be a "hardcore fan" here?

i'm fairly certain superrad isn't straight thuggin' it, strollin' down the boulevard with his "boom box" (or whatever you kids call it these days) slappin' hos and high-fiving the bros

debaser

Smash Lord
I personally don't think that an album you'd have to listen to 25 times to enjoy is worth your time. that's like 24 hours of listening time, spent listening to something you don't enjoy while you're doing it. It's far more reasonable to just move on and listen to something you like from the start. At the same time, you would accept that you have nothing to critique that album on other than "I didn't like it"
I couldn't disagree more

pockyD

Smash Legend
to anyone else, it's just as likely that, having spent 24 hours listening to the album 25 times, you force yourself to "like" it simply to justify the time spent

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
only for someone who isn't honest with themselves and cares about what other people think way too much

in which case they would never do what you're describing in the first place

try again

pockyD

Smash Legend
who knows whether that's you or not?

I personally barely care about music at all. I enjoy listening to it, but not enough to even be able to regularly identify who I'm listening to, largely because finding "good" music means sifting through "bad" music. I really do listen to just about anything, yet I don't really "like" anything. From your perspective, I'm sure I'm missing out on gaining full enjoyment out of the art form, but to me, it's not worth the effort I'd need to put in.

and back to the point, SuperRad never claimed to be a "hardcore fan", so there is no reason for you to project your expectations of someone under that label onto him

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
daaaaaaaaang TWO threads? you guys should settle this in money match

except during the money match you continue the debate verbally

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
largely because finding "good" music means sifting through "bad" music.
That's why you find someone who has great taste and get recommendations off them. Then after a while you grow up and find your own sounds.

From your perspective, I'm sure I'm missing out on gaining full enjoyment out of the art form, but to me, it's not worth the effort I'd need to put in.
-shrugs- I dun care if people don't listen to music. It's just like when noobs are talking about smash, saying "Oh man Marth totally ***** Falcon, this is an impossible matchup" or something -- it's annoying in the fact that they don't even know enough to have a valid opinion. Same applies to da music.

and back to the point, SuperRad never claimed to be a "hardcore fan", so there is no reason for you to project your expectations of someone under that label onto him
Except I didn't.

SuperRad

Smash Master
I've listened to Dark Side of the Moon probably 30+ times. On the whole, I can say I don't like it. If it was on I probably wouldn't change it and i definitely wouldn't leave the room because of it. But I would never actively seek it out and listen to it.
However, on the other hand I would never refer to it as a bad album or even as anything but good or stronger. The writing and musicianship is impressive, even if it isn't aurally appealing to me.

Obviously this is just one example of an album I've listened to a ton of times.
My point is more that just because I don't "like" an album doesn't mean I think it's the same thing as "bad" and just because i listen to a "good album" a bunch of times doesn't mean i'm going to like it.

Don't get me wrong, I am willing to give albums that I think have potential or are considered great pieces of work a chance. But a lot of times I listen to albums and I just don't see anything in them that appeals to me. I'm a good judge of what I like to listen to.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Meh, if enough respectable sources say [insert album] is great, then I'm going to keep giving it tries until I get "it." You really can't predict when or why you might see the greatness in something; all you can be is open-minded. At the very least, you'll find out why you didn't like it with concrete reasons.

So even though I don't really like De La Soul, I listen to all their albums every once and a while. Over time I've found myself liking some of the albums a little bit, but never loved any individual one. Since it's been five or six years since I've been trying to get into them, it's probably not going to happen.

But I hated Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers when I first heard it, and I hated Wu-Tang as a whole for a while. It took me at least a year to see the greatness of 36 Chambers, and now it's one of my favorite albums ever and it's easy to see why it's a universal fave. Some music transcends boundaries and is just good; exactly how good is another matter, and open to interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom