• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

QSM - April 12th

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Greetings all.

Hungry for smash? Well let's get down to business.

All are welcome to participate in

QSM - QUEENSLAND SMASH MATES

A chance to test your smash skill in a friendly environment.

Details

Date: April 12

Schedule :
9-11:30 Doubles
12:30 - 2:30 Singles
2:30 -3:30 Crews

Place: Valley PCYC

Money Stuff

ENTRY COSTS -
Singles ($10 per person)
Doubles ($10 per person)
3-Man Crews - Free
Low Tier Singles ($5 per person)
Low Tier Doubles ($5 per person)

POT DISTRIBUTION -
Singles (1st = 60%, 2nd = 30%, 3rd = 10%)
Doubles (1st = 60%, 2nd = 30%, 3rd = 10%)
Low Tier Singles (Winner takes all)
Low Tier Doubles (Winner takes all)

Rules

Singles will be Double Elimination format with seeding.

Seeding is as follows:

1. Scrubs
2. Syke
3. King Kong
4. Accelerate
5. Tristan
6. GTR
7. Vyse
8. Radiance
9. K-0S
9. Seig
11. Yokai
12. Gosu
13. NG7
14. Sirias
15. Moose
16. Rune

Stage & Character Selection
1. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage. After the stage has been randomly selected each player/team may call for a reset. Each player/team can only call for a reset once during a series. If a reset is called, another stage must be randomly selected. The stage that was first selected can’t be randomly selected again, but is still available for a counter pick.
2. Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium
3. Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, DK64
4. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.
5. Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2
6. Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City
7. Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi’s Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach’s Castle,Kongo Jungle (the one with 6 platforms) and Onett.
8. No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3, Best of 5 or Best of 7 Series.
9. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won’t be used during the series. Random select stages can’t be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can’t be knocked out.
10. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.
11. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.
12. During Championship Bracket competitions, players may ask for a double-blind pick during games four and five of a series. Players must call for the pick after the loser of the previous game has chosen the next game’s stage.
13. If the players/teams meeting in the Finals have not yet faced each other in a series and the team coming from the Losers Bracket wins the first series, another series must be played to break the tie since both players/teams would only have one series loss.

Other Rules & Special Issues

1. Any unnecessary pausing or stalling of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.
2. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
3. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.
4. Players/teams may designate a coach when they register for a competition, however, this coach may not be registered as a player for either a Singles or Doubles competition. Coaches may not instruct players during games, but may consult with players for a maximum of 1 minute between games. Once the stage for the next game has been selected, players may not talk to their coach.
5. For Doubles matches, Team Attack is ON.
6. For Doubles matches, life stealing is allowed.
7. Throughout the tournament, sets will be best of three, and championship finals best of five.
8. The tournament will use a double elimination seeded bracket.

Crew Battle Rules:
1. Players must have their chosen character written down before crew battle begins.
2. Stages are always selected by random.
3. Players may chose to ban 1 stage per match.
4. You must choose either Sheik or Zelda for the crew battle.
5. Coaching is allowed.

3-Man Crew Special Rules:
1. 4 stock per player
2. Counter picking stages allowed
3. 6 minute time limit

Extra stuff:
1. Winners finals are best of 5 and Grand Final is best of 7. Losers finl is still best of 3.
2. Counterpick stages: Any neutral stage, plus Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens, Corneria, Brinstar, Mute City, Poke Floats, Donkey Kong 64.

Current cube and Tv supply:

TV - 4
Cube - 4
Wii - 1

Me - 2 tv's and 1 cube
artard - 1 cube
vyse - 1 cube
josh - 1 tv, 1 wii
ben - 1 tv, 1 cube

We need to set a date this week. I was going for the 6th of april. When do the schooling people start holidays? If we have it on a friday then we can run till 5pm instead of 3:30.

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
Wewt 1st post!

Also, we should seed from the last tournament. Just so Sieg feels superior for once :3.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Cao mentioned this in the Vic thread and I agree with him. The seeding causes the brackets to be a bit static. For example the bracket for this tourney will be pretty much exactly the same as QSB. That list is good for power rankings but I don't think it should be used to seed tournaments here are some of the problems I see with it:

- Static brackets(same players play each other at every tourney)
- No reward for your performance in the last tournament for example Michael placed well at QSB however he is not rewarded for his performance by moving up in the seeds therefore getting an easier bracket.

Solutions:

Juggy's solution of using the QSB results as seeding is half way there. However that system gives you no credit for past tournament results. Say at QSB I performed really badly, which can sometimes happen for a plethora of reasons. Sick, not playing at your peak, just having a bad day...etc. Then for the QSM I would be seeded very low compared with where I would normally.

The easiest way to fix this is a point system like I have tried to implement previously.

This is what it would look like at the moment using results from SQUAT 2,3 and QSB.

Note I changed the point system to this:

1 - 100
2 - 90
3 - 80
4 - 70
5 - 60
7 - 40
9 - 20
13 - 10
13+ - 0
Not attending - 0 - I didn't think it was fair to give people who do not attend anything but 0. Because it is impossible to predict how well someone will do in a tournament. Also people should come to the frickin' things.

Note missing numbers are because you cna't come 6th,8th,11th etc. In a double elimination tourney. This is how it turned out.

1. Scrubs - 270
2. Syke - 260
3. King Kong - 250
4. Accelerate - 190
5. Tristan - 180
6. GTR - 130
7. Vyse - 120
8. Radiance - 90
9. K-0S - 80
9. Seig - 80
11. Yokai - 70
12. Gosu - 60
13. NG7 - 50
14. Moose - 30
15. DJ Cat - 10
16. Sirias - 0

Anomalies:

Myself at 1. I didn't expect this. I thought Zac would be number 1 however that 5th at SQUAT 3 really hurt him. I am willing to give Zac first seed if he has a winge. Get ready with the tissues could be a big one!!

Tristan at 5th. Whilst he has performed well recently his position is low because at SQUAT 2 he came 9th.

Radiance at 8th. Although we all know Aaron is very good he is yet to prove himself at tourney level. He came equal last at SQUAT 2 and 9th at SQUAT 3.

Gosu at 12th. While we know Matt is a good player he also hasn't proved himself at tourney level. Attending one tournament and placing 5th. It isn't fair to seed someone higher based on how we think they will do.

Other than that I think it adheres to the power rankings reasonably well.

Advantages of this system -

Rewards - Consistency, Attendance

People can move up the seeds based on good performances.

NOTE: This is just for seeding the tournaments. This has nothing to do with power rankings.

========================================================

Solution 2 - Pools

Basically we will split up the seeds into 4 groups of 4 and then run pools with the top 8 going through to a double elimination bracket.

The 4 top seeds will be in different pools. And will be in charge of making sure their pool runs smoothly as well as recording results. You can refuse this responsibility if you think it will distract you from smash.

Each player will play the other members of their pools twice. You receive 1 point for a win. The player with the most wins therefore points will come first in the pool.

Advantages of this system -

More smash!!!

Fair

Get to play more people

Disadvantages -

May take a little more time.

That is all....

Tell me what you all think.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
I dont care were I start, I'll always finish on top. Pools = fail.

I just ran a quick tourney with those placings, it turned out the same as last time, semi's were ben/triss and josh/me. Just upside down.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I was just joking about the winge thing Zac. I'm in a mean mood. You know I love.....I mean like you as a friend, just,friends, nothing else. *Phew wipes forhead*

Why do pools fail? I think it would work pretty well.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Poor simulations on who you think will win don't count Syke.

That looks good Scrubs, we must all hail the points system. For it is god.

(Poor man's quote) Juggy says:

Also, we should seed from the last tournament. Just so Sieg feels superior for once :3.

Yar har har.

My ego is over 9000!!!

I don't care where I am seeded. Unless it's like Syke or KK or Scrubs stright away then another match involving Syke/KK/Scrubs/Tristan.

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Pools worked really well for BOO, we had...14 people or so and we knocked doubles and singles over within 5 hours (with lunch/ football break included).

But either plan sounds alright.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Pools is good, but I'm just worried about time.
My dad won't let me play in the valley past 5 o'clock.

What I mean is, I'd have to leave at 3:30 or so.

But just do whatever works best for everyone.

Also, I highly support the tournament being scheduled for the 6th of April. Very little chance of work being homosexual (sorry Juggy...crotch grab lol) and working me that day.

Edit:
Unless we start REALLY early. We would've been there 45 minutes early, but Ryan and moose slept in the *******s.

Edit2:
I'm with Zac on this one. We have double elimination, and I think that works. If you want to play more people, then play them when the field of players has thinned out. Bring more TV's and if worst comes to worst and they don't want to play you, money match them.

Edit3:
Put me down for 1 cube. Our school holidays start right on the 6th, so that's why I'm pretty sure work won't gay me. So definitely set for the 6th of april.

If anyone from the gold coast region wants to drive, or has some sort of vehicular (non-train) transport, we can get a few TVs going too. If we can get like, 8 or 9 TVs, I'd agree to pools. 3 stock, 6 minutes.

King Kong

Smash Lord
Yay! This is cool!

Can I run the brackets this time? Pleeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Ben. can we team for this one?

I'll bring a Wii and a T.V.

peace out

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Can you and everyone else turn up on time? Pleeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben is my team mate, he has to help me ***** the money so i can get back to melbourne.

p.s. I'm selling my marth, $5 for 3 matches. Thats not a mm btw, just a entry fee.

King Kong

Smash Lord
Can you and everyone else turn up on time? Pleeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben is my team mate, he has to help me ***** the money so i can get back to melbourne.

p.s. I'm selling my marth, $5 for 3 matches. Thats not a mm btw, just a entry fee.
Lets let Ben decide that one shall we? - Ben......... DONT LEAVE ME!!!!!!!

And I will be there on time. I just want to run the brackets again, thats all, i missed it last time.

peace out

Triss

Smash Journeyman
well, i thought zac and ben were planning to take me and my bro out in the doubles? because remember... coa was a fluke...

and yer me and aaron are teaming in the doubles.

Triss

Smash Journeyman
so we gunna have pools? because that would be awsome, we can actully let everyone stay in the tournament for a longer period of time. umm and also zac, we finish school at about march 10-20 (first page you asked at end of post when do we finish school).

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
What if Matt isn't coming? Like the other 50% of the tournaments.

Mitch might be re-joining the scene again as well. >_>

K-0S

Smash Apprentice
I swim in the space between panels, what I call 't
I'm so seriously about the date you guys. I can't make it on the 6th. I've already lied my arse off to be at the last 2 tourneys and I'd hate to miss this one. Even if I do come I'd have to leave at 1:00pm to be back on time which is a serious pain in the ***. Only 3 hours for $20 entry + Transport $12 + Food $15.

We can't have a tourney without me can we?[/arrogence] Syke, if you could make this to say a monday I would seriously pay you for the trouble. I'm working everyday these holidays except Monday's.

Please consider my request. My smash game depends on it.
P.S. Don't get caught by the guards.
P.S.S. Seriously
P.S.S.S. I'm not joking man, they have mallets.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Seriously? Like no gag reflex?
lol j/k.

Anyway, I guess that's just the way it goes, not working in retail like me. (I love Big W)

EDIT: You mean you've already gone and got the day off? I suppose that's the way you've gotta do it though, with a full time apprenticeship like that.

What's Chrome paying you?

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap .

We could postpone or make the tournament earlier on a day where both of you aren't getting slave driven.

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
How about just be honest and say I can't attend work on that day?

Why lie...?

Worst case scenario, you ring as soon as the office (or whatever) is open and say you are sick.
Its the Australian way....
(I can't think of a funny kiwi joke...i'll get back to you on that one)

Yes Rune, and bring that Yoshi, should be fun. :)

Sirias

Smash Champion
Kiwi Joke? Like what?!?~!

I totally didn't realise this was here until I saw Zac say something about it. =/

Well... I don't think I can trust myself with saying: "I might not come." Since really... I've been to almost every meet and thing happening, lmao. Ahhh but if I say I WILL come and then don't show up, it'll be worse than if I say I might not come and then show up. Or something.

Anyway. Ben's thing looks good, I think, I don't really know, but who cares, as long as you guys're having fun smashing all day, which would most likely be with anyone (except Zac, or maybe that's just me, but really, he scares me).

I really do hope I'm not in Aaron's pool. Lol. Dammit. So far him and Zac are the two that own me the most. Well... Aaron 'has', but Zac 'does'.

Do you really even need to include me? Still wondering if I'll be able to pay. Unlike last time... where I didn't. Lol~! And even if I didn't, you all know I wouldn't want you to pay for me. ;D

Well if I have no money then I won't go. Sounds good enough, heh.

Top Bottom