• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Unless Intelligent Systems suddenly stops clinging on to Fire Enblem, I doubt the fairies will see the light of the day in another game that isn't "localized" with different characters.

You see Sega, even people in the West care about Puyo Puyo despite your twisted belief that we only care about Sonic.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You see Nintendo, even people in the West care about Panel de Pon despite your twisted belief that we only care about Yoshi/Pokemon.

See, it works both ways.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Haven't checked in with you guys in a while. What's been going on here?

I got a story if anyone wants to listen. Several years ago I wanted to make a video game webcomic. The premise was that an original character of mine, a little orange-haired catgirl named Kasha, was on an adventure to find her mama, except she is under the impression that any beautiful woman she meets is her mama (because, since she considers herself the cutest girl in the world, naturally that means her mama is the prettiest woman in the world). This quest of hers takes her across the worlds of video games where she meets many famous female game characters, and silly things happen. I had planned that at one point she ran into Lip and became friends with her, but sadly, I never got around to making it. Sucks too because I had a lot of funny gags planned.

In case anyone's wondering, she looks like this: http://tokotiger.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Kasha-71588588

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, I was bored and had nothing better to do, so I decided to do a write-up for a Windy assist trophy. Then the trophy description for said assist trophy. Then another trophy. It's nothing great, but I figure you guys would like to see it anyway.

Intro: When Windy is summoned, she floats up into the air with a little twirl and says "ウィンディー来た!" ("Here comes Windy!") After this, she floats in place using her wind magic. She can fly from platform to platform, either on her own every now and then or if she's attacked.
Exit: After about five attacks total, Windy will disappear on her own, waving energetically and saying "バイバイ!" ("Bye bye!") before flying off into the sky.
Like some other Assist Trophies, Windy can be KO'ed if she takes more than about 35% damage. This causes her to fly backwards some distance with a surprised look, then put her hands on her hips and say "悪いよね" ("You're mean!") before disappearing.

-Skills-
[Wind Blast] Windy's primary effect on the battle. Windy will point in a direction and make a "whoosh!"ing noise, causing the entire stage to be covered with a moderately-sized pushing wind box in the direction she's facing. This wind effect lasts a set amount of time--about five seconds--and affects all fighters, even the summoner. If Windy is attacked early enough (in the first two seconds of the wind blast), the wind effect will be interrupted as she flinches and moves away.
[Thundercloud] Windy uses this attack after every two or three wind blasts. She tenses her body, then splays out her arms and legs, shouting "雷雲!" ("Thundercloud!") and creating a small thundercloud above her. This thundercloud floats to above a random fighter and, after a pause of around two seconds, strikes the ground beneath it twice with bolts of lightning that deal 10% electric damage with some knockback. The second bolt comes about a second after the first, and the cloud vanishes shortly after both strikes. Like all Assist Trophy attacks, the thunderclouds cannot target or even affect the summoner. If Windy is attacked at any point during the "casting animation", the attack will fail and no thundercloud will spawn.

Windy
[Description: Windy points forward. This is identical to both the pose she assumes when using her Wind Blast move and the pose she takes in her two-player backdrop in the original Panel de Pon.]
A wind fairy from the Japan-only puzzle game Panel de Pon and a good friend of Lip's. Like most of the other fairies, she was placed under a diabolical spell that Lip had to save her from. In Smash Bros., she'll blow the fighters around with her wind magic and create tiny thunderstorms to light up your foes' lives! ...No, wait, just their bodies.
[SNES] Panel de Pon (1995 - Japan)

Lip (Captain Rainbow)
[Description: Lip poses with her flower rod. The model, as with the Little Mac (Captain Rainbow) trophy, is ported directly from Captain Rainbow, although the underside of her skirt is blacked out.]
Lip came to Mimin Island from Popples to hone her skills in magic, but the only thing she ended up honing was her immune system. Now she's saddled with a nasty pollen allergy! The irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife... Better give the poor fairy a hand before she has to find a new calling in life.
[Wii] Captain Rainbow (2008 - Japan)
This looks REALLY good! Nice trophy descriptions, and you captured Windy's cute, childish nature pretty well, IMO!

You know, I always had the notion (pre-Smash 4) that either Windy, Thiana, or Seren should be PdP's AT character in the event that Lip were to ever be a playable character in Smash.

Unless Intelligent Systems suddenly stops clinging on to Fire Enblem, I doubt the fairies will see the light of the day in another game that isn't "localized" with different characters.

You see Sega, even people in the West care about Puyo Puyo despite your twisted belief that we only care about Sonic.
You see Nintendo, even people in the West care about Panel de Pon despite your twisted belief that we only care about Yoshi/Pokemon.

See, it works both ways.

It really does. We can only hope Nintendo's willing to be as lenient with PdP as SEGA's (possibly) going to be with Puyo Puyo in the future.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Thanks! I'm not that confident in my writing skills, especially when I try to emulate a style, so it makes me happy you think it sounds good. I could try writing descriptions for more Panepon trophies if anyone's interested.

Haven't checked in with you guys in a while. What's been going on here?

I got a story if anyone wants to listen. Several years ago I wanted to make a video game webcomic. The premise was that an original character of mine, a little orange-haired catgirl named Kasha, was on an adventure to find her mama, except she is under the impression that any beautiful woman she meets is her mama (because, since she considers herself the cutest girl in the world, naturally that means her mama is the prettiest woman in the world). This quest of hers takes her across the worlds of video games where she meets many famous female game characters, and silly things happen. I had planned that at one point she ran into Lip and became friends with her, but sadly, I never got around to making it. Sucks too because I had a lot of funny gags planned.

In case anyone's wondering, she looks like this: http://tokotiger.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Kasha-71588588
Well, not a lot. There was the bombshell of the Lip stuff in the New Leaf update, but besides that, it's been quiet.

That comic idea sounds adorable and I wish you'd gone through with it. Maybe at some point it would have picked up steam and brought Lip and Panepon more into the public eye. Or I'm being overly optimistic.

PsychoJosh

Well, not a lot. There was the bombshell of the Lip stuff in the New Leaf update, but besides that, it's been quiet.

That comic idea sounds adorable and I wish you'd gone through with it. Maybe at some point it would have picked up steam and brought Lip and Panepon more into the public eye. Or I'm being overly optimistic.
Yeah, I guess I would've featured Lip a fair amount. They'd have little get togethers where Kasha would bring her orange-flavored tea and cookies and they'd chat about silly random things. Sometimes Olimar would stow away in Kasha's hair with a bunch of pikmin to try and steal some biscuits and fruits without them noticing.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Just wanted to wish everyone here a merry Christmas! I didn't make anything for the occasion, unfortunately...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Happy new year, guys! I've got an idea for where I want to go with the picture you suggested, and I'll start drawing it ASAP.

Blinzer

Smash Rookie
I play puzzle league because it's the fastest version of this type of game so it trains me to be quicker

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I think for the most part, the biggest difference is just the AI and difficulty of each game. Though I suppose PPL might be the fastest version as well, as it seems to be the most popular one whenever I look up stuff regarding speedruns.

Though I don't really know much myself, so I couldn't say.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
For something topical to discuss, what do you think a Switch Panel de Pon (a real one with the fairies, not more Planet garbage) would be like? I could see the haptic feedback getting put to good use with the garbage blocks.

PsychoJosh

Well, either it's traditional Panel de Pon with optional switch control gimmicks, or it's an entirely new twist on the gameplay style. Unfortunately the only "twist" I see them doing to the gameplay is making it play more like a Bejewelled/Candy Crush clone.

On a side note, how's that pic coming along?

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
There are many twists they could add to the gameplay. At some point in my talks with her, Kapus mentioned an idea that each character could have a unique "special move" that could be activated at a certain point in the game. If they were feeling ambitious, they could try out a puzzle-RPG hybrid. On a related note, have I mentioned my idea for a 3DS Panepon RPG in here? If not, I probably should...

As for the picture: I was working on a computer drawing like I've been doing, but then I remembered that since I have a cell phone now I could just take a picture of a traditional drawing, probably spruced up (lineart cleaned up, color added) with GIMP afterwards. I haven't gotten very far on the computer drawing, so switching over wouldn't take too much effort.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I had a suspicion that Puyo Tetris would be getting localized, because I distinctly remember English trophies being found for the PS4 in december.

Oh, something else I wanted to say is that I used to be strongly opposed to puzzle games that made you use pieces that drop down from above; to me, winning seemed too reliant on conveniently getting the exact piece you needed rather than your own skill, which is why I preferred Puzzle League. But then I started played Spaera on Steam. Apparently in some of these types of puzzle games, players share the Piece Queue, so you do have a bit of control over what piece you get next. I still prefer Puzzle League, but now that I better understand Puyo style games, I can at least tolerate them.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Puzzle Fighter and Puyo games aren't that random. They do have quite an element of skill to them, in fact Puzzle Fighter is actually played at tournaments. They're not as random as you think they are, every character has their own unique drop pattern, and every 25th piece that drops contains a power gem. And they also share the same piece queue.

Previously the only viable character was Ken since every character had somewhat useless drop patterns, but in the updated HD Remix version every character gets viable drop patterns, balancing it out.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Puzzle Fighter and Puyo games aren't that random. They do have quite an element of skill to them, in fact Puzzle Fighter is actually played at tournaments. They're not as random as you think they are, every character has their own unique drop pattern, and every 25th piece that drops contains a power gem. And they also share the same piece queue.

Previously the only viable character was Ken since every character had somewhat useless drop patterns, but in the updated HD Remix version every character gets viable drop patterns, balancing it out.
I'm not a fan of activator pieces, but it's not a deal breaker. Like I said for most Puyo style games, it looks tolerable. I'd have to play it to truly judge if I like it or not.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That'd be an idea for a Panepon game to make the characters more unique; have each one have different probabilities for a certain color of panel to spawn. Obviously, Lip would have an even chance for all of them. It might be neat for each character to have some kind of special move too (maybe something to replace the ! panels with). I might have brought that up earlier in the thread actually.

Neat to hear Puyo Tetris is being localized!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Since a certain other group of cute pointy-eared kids made it into Mario Kart recently, and because I'm a huge dork, I've been writing up an idea for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC (assuming there's going to be any, of course) featuring Lip. It's not done yet, but if anyone's interested, I'll post it once it is.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Since a certain other group of cute pointy-eared kids made it into Mario Kart recently, and because I'm a huge dork, I've been writing up an idea for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC (assuming there's going to be any, of course) featuring Lip. It's not done yet, but if anyone's interested, I'll post it once it is.
I'd like to see it.

PsychoJosh

That's a fantastic animation, I hope somebody subs it.

I'd love to hear your idea N. Onymous, but I thought you were making a picture? Without meaning to hassle you, what's taking so long? Every time I see you've replied I get excited because I think "he mightve finished with it!"

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Aaaaaaaaa I'm so sorry this took so longgggg D: I've had artist block lately on top of fairly serious dental problems, so I haven't been in a very "drawing" mood lately, but here I am coming off my lazy butt to finally post this! Hope you guys love it! PsychoJosh PsychoJosh in particular!

Loving the animation by the way!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Aaaaaaaaa I'm so sorry this took so longgggg D: I've had artist block lately on top of fairly serious dental problems, so I haven't been in a very "drawing" mood lately, but here I am coming off my lazy butt to finally post this! Hope you guys love it! PsychoJosh PsychoJosh in particular!

Loving the animation by the way!
If you don't mind me asking, what's going on exactly?

PsychoJosh

They appear to be making pastry bunnies and Kasha is pigging out on them as quick as they can make them.

That is something she would do. Very cute!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
PsychoJosh got it, pretty much! Specifically, they're making these little things. I can't imagine snow being that tasty, but Kasha always seemed to me like kind of a dork.

PsychoJosh

She is rather spacey, and tends to look at things with very warped childish logic. Maybe she got confused by Sherbet's name and thought that she had the ability to create ice cream instead of just ice.

"Nya! Sorry, but I don't like snow flavor. Can you do orange instead?"

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
While activity is kind of slow here, I figured I would inform you Lip fans on this poll. Not that I'm desperate for more votes, but I just want to show you how disappointing the results are so far.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So you're telling me that someone wants The Devil from Devil World over Lip? Like I can understand my followers going with someone more familiar like Takamaru or Mach Rider, but are they serious?

I'm kind of hoping the next one that I run tonight won't be as blasphemous.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
While activity is kind of slow here, I figured I would inform you Lip fans on this poll. Not that I'm desperate for more votes, but I just want to show you how disappointing the results are so far.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So you're telling me that someone wants The Devil from Devil World over Lip? Like I can understand my followers going with someone more familiar like Takamaru or Mach Rider, but are they serious?

I'm kind of hoping the next one that I run tonight won't be as blasphemous.
Is...is this for real? Like, the Devil over Lip? What the heck is this?!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I can't blame people for not hearing of Panel De Pon or Lip herself, but I call bull**** on this.

Her own stick appeared as an item SINCE Melee. How would anyone prefer Devil over Lip?

On the bright side, at least she got one vote in the end (I bet it was TheWolfBunny).

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The joke is that the Devil from Devil World is probably more obscure than Lip, has zero moveset potential, and--oh yeah--is already an Assist Trophy. I think that's the joke anyway. I could at least understand Takamaru.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I can't seem to describe it myself. They do love memes after all.

Won't be surprised if Goku wins this one for the same reason.

The joke is that the Devil from Devil World is probably more obscure than Lip, has zero moveset potential, and--oh yeah--is already an Assist Trophy. I think that's the joke anyway. I could at least understand Takamaru.
Pretty much. At least Lip had more games going for her in comparison to Disco Satan. Not that I expected any Panel De Pon fans other than WolfBunny to follow me to begin with.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Any true Nintendo fan would vote for the crazy Wii Remote flailing stick figure instead of Lip, not Goku.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Any true Nintendo fan would vote for the crazy Wii Remote flailing stick figure instead of Lip, not Goku.
Accurate.

Speaking of which.

He's back teaching people about Switch safety. That dead meme while rear its ugly head again for Smash 5 speculation. :urg:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan Well, technically he's not from a video game, so he can't ever be playable in SSB5. That said, any potential character ballots will still doubtlessly be filled with useless joke votes for him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom