• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Purposely SD'ing When losing?

wmo_

Smash Cadet
I'll SD if the guy is playing way too hard to win. For example, a link player that always arrows you and bombs you over and over, zones you out, doesn't approach, and runs away constantly once they take a stock off you

I get For Glory is supposed to be a place to test your skills and win, but there's just very boring/stale ways to play and it's just not fun to play against. It's not fun to sit there and play a campy player who is playing to win and nothing else. If this was a tournament I wouldn't care, but in online ranked mode? It's just lame

anyways I'll SD against a player like that. It usually happens once they kill me, I'll respawn and they will play the campiest, most defensive game possible. Like someone had a gun pointed at their head if they lost a For Glory match. I can sit there and try to take at least one stock, but what's the point when they avoid your every move? When you know you're not going to have a fun exciting match, when you know it's going to be stale, boring, defensive and not fun at all

Yes those people can be beat, but it's not worth replaying them. Would anyone play against someone who said "I'm going play a projectile character, spam you as much as possible, and when you get close I'll run/roll away and repeat."?

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Smash from disadvantage is difficult and more importantly not very fun, because the advantaged player can just camp for the rest of the match. If my opponent takes the first stock from me and I don't do any damage in return, and he or she seems like a competent player, I will SD because the uphill battle isn't worth fighting. Have done it a few times, and have stuck around for a rematch after (since when this happens it's usually because I wasn't prepared for my opponent to be any good--since most players on For Glory are not) where we both start from neutral/no advantage, but if the other guy taunts when I SD-quit then I don't stay for a rematch.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I hate it when people SD because I SD'ed at low damage. It is stupid. If they do that and I own them I always taunt them extra hard with repeated uptilts if I am R.O.B. and with teabagging or something characters specific if I another character.
You must be such a nice person Kappa. Have you read any of the replies in this thread? People SD on purpose to make things fair, meaning they are trying to be nice, it does not mean they assume they are going to destroy you or something so they do it to make you feel like you had a chance or something.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I only SD purposely when the lag is unbearable.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I'll SD if the guy is playing way too hard to win. For example, a link player that always arrows you and bombs you over and over, zones you out, doesn't approach, and runs away constantly once they take a stock off you

I get For Glory is supposed to be a place to test your skills and win, but there's just very boring/stale ways to play and it's just not fun to play against. It's not fun to sit there and play a campy player who is playing to win and nothing else. If this was a tournament I wouldn't care, but in online ranked mode? It's just lame

anyways I'll SD against a player like that. It usually happens once they kill me, I'll respawn and they will play the campiest, most defensive game possible. Like someone had a gun pointed at their head if they lost a For Glory match. I can sit there and try to take at least one stock, but what's the point when they avoid your every move? When you know you're not going to have a fun exciting match, when you know it's going to be stale, boring, defensive and not fun at all

Yes those people can be beat, but it's not worth replaying them. Would anyone play against someone who said "I'm going play a projectile character, spam you as much as possible, and when you get close I'll run/roll away and repeat."?

I also want to point out that if you use a character like Little Mac then you should expect the other player to camp. Against Little Mac or Bowser or people with strong ground games, if you don't camp you are going to lose. As much as camping is boring, if you do not camp certain characters you are at a big disadvantage. So I would think that it depends on your own character choice too.

wmo_

Smash Cadet
I also want to point out that if you use a character like Little Mac then you should expect the other player to camp. Against Little Mac or Bowser or people with strong ground games, if you don't camp you are going to lose. As much as camping is boring, if you do not camp certain characters you are at a big disadvantage. So I would think that it depends on your own character choice too.
im mostly kirby and g&w right now, and some falcon occasionally. I understand there's a range issue at hand but these people flat out barely want to fight and just zone zone zone and play 100% win win win. not a lot of fun in that. im sure i wouldn't be as bugged by it if we had BF in the FG rotation

Gea

Smash Master
People will do this no matter what. Stock up with Rosalina? Time for that Link to not move from his end of FD and just arrow. The silly part is that they are depriving themselves from learning how to play their character more effectively and thus win more matches against characters that can deal with that sort of spam.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
im mostly kirby and g&w right now, and some falcon occasionally. I understand there's a range issue at hand but these people flat out barely want to fight and just zone zone zone and play 100% win win win. not a lot of fun in that. im sure i wouldn't be as bugged by it if we had BF in the FG rotation
Yeah, there's no reason to camp a Kirby or Game and Watch. I have no idea why a Link player wouldn't be going ham all over a Kirby or Game and Watch with all that extra range.

Falcon is very difficult to camp because of his insane dash speed. That dash grab is too strong.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
People who do this are the worst kind of players IMO. Once I did an accidental early SD while opponent was at 0% (and instead of also SDing, he just wanted to be a douche and taunt). I still continued fighting and managed to win.

Generally I NEVER quit or give up a match no matter what. I only do it if it lags so much that it is literally unplayable and the timer would take like half an hour to end (and even then I don't exit until after 5 minutes has passed, so my opponent can quit first if he wants). Even if I'm up against a total douchebag I still never quit (if anything that just makes me want to beat him up even more)

Quitting and SDing is the most cowardly thing you can do (presuming you do it ONLY because you're losing with no lag and fair play). There's a reason you'd get booed and looked down upon if you did that in a real live tourney :p

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I never SD on purpose unless the match is really laggy, i at least try to come back after i'm in a bad position.

Spatman

Smash Ace
sometimes I do an accidental SD, and sometimes my opponent sd himself too. In these cases, I SD again because for me winning this kind of games would be unfair. At the same way I don't sd when my opponent make a mistake and SD. Instead, when my opponent's SD is clearly caused by the lag, I SD to restablish the parity

1FC0

Smash Lord
You must be such a nice person Kappa. Have you read any of the replies in this thread? People SD on purpose to make things fair, meaning they are trying to be nice, it does not mean they assume they are going to destroy you or something so they do it to make you feel like you had a chance or something.
Anyone who wants you to do that is a noob. A real competitive player plays to win and expects nothing less of his opponent. If I do not have the skill to consistently control my character well resulting in me SD'ing and losing because of it then I deserve that loss.

The risks of SD'ing are part of the things that make the game challenging and fun.

I have more honour because I respect my opponent by going all out against him no matter how bad he is. Unless I want to practice something, but even then I am trying to win.

Shog

Smash Ace
I have more honour because I respect my opponent by going all out against him no matter how bad he is. Unless I want to practice something, but even then I am trying to win.
Honous is pretty subjective, you know. One time I also SD'd because someone I had a blast playing with died to lag. Not sure if he/she appreciated it, but I liked the battles with the person.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Honous is pretty subjective, you know. One time I also SD'd because someone I had a blast playing with died to lag. Not sure if he/she appreciated it, but I liked the battles with the person.
Lag is something else because he did not deserve the KO if it was due to lag. I would not mind someone SD'ing if I die to lag. I just think that if I genuinely screw up people should abuse it because trying to not make mistakes and being punished when you do makes the game challenging and fun IMO.

NairWizard

Somewhere
People who do this are the worst kind of players IMO. Once I did an accidental early SD while opponent was at 0% (and instead of also SDing, he just wanted to be a douche and taunt). I still continued fighting and managed to win.

Generally I NEVER quit or give up a match no matter what. I only do it if it lags so much that it is literally unplayable and the timer would take like half an hour to end (and even then I don't exit until after 5 minutes has passed, so my opponent can quit first if he wants). Even if I'm up against a total douchebag I still never quit (if anything that just makes me want to beat him up even more)

Quitting and SDing is the most cowardly thing you can do (presuming you do it ONLY because you're losing with no lag and fair play). There's a reason you'd get booed and looked down upon if you did that in a real live tourney :p
This post is rather vitriolic imo.

Tournament players do do this if the opponent has a big enough lead. Anti is notable for doing it because he wants to keep his motivation up and do better on the next match, rather than try to salvage a match in which he's so far behind that his opponent will be able to camp him out.

Camping is boring, and SD'ing if you're behind because your opponent can now camp you isn't dishonorable. If you know you're too far behind to come back, there's nothing cowardly about quitting. You are saying, "I"ll do better on the following match," not "screw you i dont wanna play waaa." If you interpret your opponent quitting as cowardice, then that's on you, not on your opponent.

It's the same thing as interpreting a taunt as "haha get rekt scrub" when really all it means is "hey that was fun." Some people may be trying to say "haha get rekt scrub" but not all.

Don't make presumptions about people. You don't know their intentions.

1FC0

Smash Lord
It's the same thing as interpreting a taunt as "haha get rekt scrub" when really all it means is "hey that was fun." Some people may be trying to say "haha get rekt scrub" but not all.
Yeah I wish that we could use taunt messages. When I taunt I always fear that my opponent misinterprets me.

After all, I do want them to know how I enjoy owning them like the noobs that they are.

Zaycko

Smash Cadet
I never understood why people SD when i was fighting them, now I do it myself, i just dont like playing against spammy characters like sonic and his dash, and of course Little Sh... oh sorry Little Mac.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I only ever SD when lag becomes a huge issue that makes the matchup otherwise unplayable, or the opponent is so bad I feel the need to emphasize for them. Other than that though, SDing is pretty much setting yourself up to losing your man cards.

Last edited:

backwardinduction

Smash Rookie
I will SD in a few scenarios.

1. When the lag is too much for the match to be at all pleasant or useful in learning this game,
2. When they use annoyingly cheap tactics, such as bowsercide or to a lesser extent, camping enough to force a sudden death.
3. When they literally spam moves and roll from one side of the stage to the other
4. When they're way better than me and they pick the character I've been using after I've used for several games, almost as though to silently insult me for being not as good as my main than they are with it as an alt.

Last edited:

Zatman

Smash Rookie
I hate when people SD on me, it doesn't feel like victory at all. I only rarely SD when opponent screws up at VERY early %.
It's kind of case by case when I decide to do this, but I feel l like I want to win in battle of skill rather than luck.
I have SD:d at low % a few times and still managed to at least make it a decent match again, or even won.

There has only been ONE instance when I have lost on purpose and it was rather unique situation.
It was against Little Mac, he was able to KO me at last stock UP in the air. As kind of dumb taunt he run over the edge, but was bit too fast and managed to kill himself at EXACT same time as I died. So it went't to sudden death.
Now, battling Sudden Death for winning might have been option, but I felt that he still deserved that victory and SD:d.
I doubt I would have feel like I won in that situation, it would have been hilarious thought. But no regrets.

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
Personally I don't try to SD at all, even with unbearable lag. I dunno maybe it's because I'm put in a game and I want to try to get the fullest out of it?

Though now I'm kinda reminded of a scenario one time with a Little Mac one time which it seemed like they SD'd on purpose. I mean I was playing as Lucina at the time and I'm well aware she isn't really highly regarded as a fantastic character but I feel that SD's can also be indirect taunt's which the person would purposefully handicap themselves for a "fair match".

Least I landed her dair meteor tip so kinda helps for getting a feel where the that tip area is.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
Lag will be the reason I SD, if it's unbearable ill just end it and not play.
Move on to the next one :b:

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I always stick with a match even if the lag is unbearable. Just leave when the match ends. The only time I have SD'd on purpose was when I had something urgent come up in real life.

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
I understand when people SD out of respect, but I'll never do it... not that I want to win or anything (in fact I could care less about it... my win rate is garbage.) I'd rather take as much time as possible to learn the MU, get better at mind games, or countering boring/campy/trollish play styles. Can't do that if I'm throwing lives away... What if they're a great player or a character I never see and they leave after one game? I'm not going to throw away a chance to learn just because of some bullcrap honor code that no one will be there to validate or justify. If I'm getting ***** I'll never quit/SD on For Glory.. why? Cause it doesn't friggin' matter. If I'm getting taunted cause I'm getting walled I simply think of it as practice keeping a level head and not making supid mistakes out of rage. Or if I see a stupid dash-attack-happy little mac guess what I'm working on? Shutting down that playstyle with extreme prejudice. If I'm playing someone who sucks more than a... nvm... I work on my pressure game/reading.

Above all there are only two instances where I will SD. Actually, they kinda go hand in hand, but w/e.

1. Is the lag unbearable? If so then SD and quit. If not sack up and play.
2. Am I having any fun/is this helpful in any way shape or form? (after all this is a game... why play if it's not fun?)

Tl;dr - I'll never quit for non-lag reasons because there's always something to learn from every opponent.

Top Bottom