• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Purchasable characters

Lord DMHowe

Smash Rookie
Simple idea: what if Nintendo made it so you could purchase new characters from the wii shopping channel (not for a lot of money mind, no-one wants a rip-off of xbox 360 live proportions).

If there were characters, for example, enough people wanted, they could become buyable after brawl came out and so all of us who want Marth (such a small minority) could have him.

This could also be applicable to levels and alternate soundtracks for levels.

Views?
PS: Sorry if this has been posted. :| Probably has.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I could see this happening for stages maybe, but entire characters? That's kind of a stretch

Hitzel

Smash Ace
It'd be great to have that, but I don't think the Wii's internal memory is enough to handle the polygons, sounds, animations, etc. that are required to create a new character. We could POSSIBLY have a clone character added, but that's a big stretch.

Lord DMHowe

Smash Rookie
It'd be great to have that, but I don't think the Wii's internal memory is enough to handle the polygons, sounds, animations, etc. that are required to create a new character. We could POSSIBLY have a clone character added, but that's a big stretch.
Possibly. I'm not sure how it's coded. I wouldn't be shocked if the engine worked on physics based on a range of each character, and each move is simply an animation that has a certain effect.

;) But I don't know. I can't code. Nor do I know how complex the characters are on the front of memory usage.

shanus

Smash Hero
how about no thanks. Free download or bust. DOn't feeling like dividing the population of available, players do ya?

Arteen

Smash Lord
I despise the idea of downloadable content for brawl simply because people who don't have online Wii's would be unable to get the stuff.
Then it sucks to be them.

Offline players are still getting a fully-featured game; it's not like Nintendo is holding back content to make extra money. They shouldn't be so selfish and jealous as to deny online players downloadable content. Offline players already can't play on wifi, or share stages; should those features be removed as well, since offline players won't be able to use them?

Lord DMHowe

Smash Rookie
Then it sucks to be them.

Offline players are still getting a fully-featured game; it's not like Nintendo is holding back content to make extra money. They shouldn't be so selfish and jealous as to deny online players downloadable content. Offline players already can't play on wifi, or share stages; should those features be removed as well, since offline players won't be able to use them?
Pretty much what I would say.

If you don't have online wii, you don't get all kinds of neat shizzle. It doesn't mean it should go. I don't have xbox live, but that doesn't mean I hate all the downloadable content for the xbox games. It just means I lose out because I don't bother to get online.

how about no thanks. Free download or bust. DOn't feeling like dividing the population of available, players do ya?
I would LIKE free download, it'd be nice. I just don't know if it's possible.

People like being paid to code.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
The discussion has come up a couple of times, but I totally agree. Nintendo would have nothing to lose by putting things such as this into motion.

As far as customers without Wifi are concerned, Arteen basically explained it as good as anyone can.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I would love this. I have no idea if they can even pull this off but YES, I want this. Got no online? Sucks to be you than. . .
Also, FREE or like $5. . . .nothing higher. (Who am I kidding, I would be willing to pay $15 to pay as Krystal for the next 5-6 years. $15 is actually the going price for the Wii Ware titles)

And looking at the Wii Ware thing I would think they can do it. But I wonder how it works. . . could the character content be writen onto the disc after download to save room?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
And looking at the Wii Ware thing I would think they can do it. But I wonder how it works. . . could the character content be writen onto the disc after download to save room?
Impossible. However... all evidence points to a Wii hard drive before too long. The fact the game can access downloaded content on SD cards is evidence that the game could also access information from a external hard drive as well.

I would love it if this happened, but I know there are a lot of things keeping it from happening. I mean, by the logic in saying "They shouldn't do this because some people can't go online with the Wii" you may as well say adding online features like stage-a-day is unfair as well.

Top Bottom