• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punch Out!! Wii

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
As long as Mic Tyson isn't in this Punch Out, he was Uber broken in Mic Tyson Punch Out, I almost thought it was impossible to beat him at first. -.-

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I thought this game had all the original characters, plus 1?

Had that not been confirmed?
That's not quite it. It will have 13 characters, with Disco Kid being one of the new guys. There will be less fights then there were in Punch-Out!! for the NES, but it will have no repeating fights (i.e. you fight Piston Honda, Don Flamenco, and Bald Bull again in the World Circuit in the NES version).

And besides, characters like Bear Hugger are included in this game, even though he wasn't in the NES Punch-Out!!, and for that, I hope Dragon Chan is in this game!

Here's how is stands thus far:

-Glass Joe
-Von Kaiser
-Disco Kid
-King Hippo

-Bear Hugger
-Don Flamenco
-Bald Bull
-Piston Honda

That leaves five more characters left... meaning they could include the rest of the NEW Punch-Out!! cast plus an extra character from another Punch-Out!! game (or alternately a completely new character)

*EDIT*

News from the actual website of all places!

http://punchout.nintendo.com/

A possibly new character:

To me, this means one of the characters I initially thought would be in won't be. I hope Great Tiger gets the boot, because, while I have nothing against the guy, I'd rather see Dragon Chan, Soda Popinski, Mr. Sandman, and Super Macho Man in this game rather than him.

Some say he's a new character, but he looks kind of like Mr. Dream to me.

*Edit*

DISREGARD WHAT I SAID BEFORE! THIS IMAGE ISN'T A NEW CHARACTER!

Yeah, it turns out, the supposed "New character" is really nothing but a placeholder for the next guy in the minor circuit, Von Kaiser. I had a feeling this would be the case, actually, but I didn't feel like admitting it.

In other news, Great Tiger's been confirmed through Nintendo Power's June issue.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I'm glad this game uses the Classic Controller, though I have no idea when it's going to be released in Japan. D: ♥

♣ But regardless, I'm still excited to get this game. ♥

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Thank you, TD mode. I was afraid this was going to be a complete rehash of Punch Out NES+Some Super Punch Out, but I'm glad there's still new material.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
It has just been confirmed that Aran Ryan, from the SNES Super Punch-Out!! will be in the game:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=81860

This was my initial reaction (spoilered for swearing):

GOD ****ING **** IT! I WANTED DRAGON CHAN!!!!!! ARAN RYAN?!?! WHO THE **** CARES ABOUT ****ING ARAN RYAN!!!!!!

Yeah, needless to say I was very upset, but when you think about it, Aran Ryan would add another nationality to the ring, Ireland. It'd be cool to hear his Irish accent and stuff... But really, out of all the characters in Super Punch-Out!!, I found him the most uninteresting, which is why I was very angry that they chose him and not Dragon Chan, a far more popular and intersting character. But I suppose they already have an Asian in there, so...

Aww, who am I kidding, I wanted Dragon Chan no matter what! >:(

To explain why I'm so angry, here's how I see it: 13 characters are going to be in the main career mode. Obviously, by the looks of it, they're going to include every character from the NES Punch-Out!!, namely:

Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Piston Honda (or Hondo)
Don Flamenco
King Hippo
Great Tiger
Bald Bull
Soda Popinski/Vodka Drunkenski
Mr. Sandman
Super Macho Man

That's ten right there. And given that Disco Kid and Bear Hugger are going to be in it, that only leaves one place left. I had hoped for so long it would be Dragon Chan. After all, he's one of the most popular characters in the series. So what do they do?

...They include the blandest character in Super Punch-Out!!...

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
^^ While I agree with you on Aran Ryan being pretty bland in terms of Punch-Out Characters, I personally am not a fan of Dragon-Chan. I dunno it just got riled that he was trying to kick me in the face during a boxing match. I am curious to see what other characters though will be included though, even if they're not in the career mode. Though I kind of question why they wouldn't be but that's neither here nor there.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
*DOUBLE POST BUMP*

I have some big news! Here's the possible final roster for the game... Thought there might be more boxers after the Title Defense mode!

http://gonintendo.com/?p=82462

This may or may not be true, but I'm going to go by it.

*EDIT*

There's a huge update over on the official site! Get this: 4 boxers added at once! No videos of them yet, unfortunately.

http://punchout.nintendo.com

Aran Ryan: Yeah, nice update, but it still feels weird that HE, of all characters, was chosen for this game.

Soda Popinski: Yes! He's perfect!

Bald Bull: Yeesh! What's with his eyes? I prefered his original appearance (in the ad).

Super Macho Man: Yeah, that's an awesome look for him, but he doesn't look as buff as he should. Soda Popinski looks buffer than him, now that I compare the two...

Also, I noticed that under Bald Bull and Super Macho Man, it says "Last Seen: Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream". They were actually last seen in Super Punch-Out!! I wonder if they'll get around to fixing that.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
So far so good when it come's to reviewers for this game. This game is one of the taste of Nintendo rising from it's ashes. Make sure you don't use the Wii Balance board, lol.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I won't just get it, I'll get it the moment it hits shelves! Especially after finding out this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ecgV4tPsY

My first reaction was:

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

Then I proceeded to giggle and dispense jibberish like a little schoolgirl. Yeah, did NOT see that coming. Makes up for Mario not being the ref by a mile, doesn't it?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I won't just get it, I'll get it the moment it hits shelves! Especially after finding out this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ecgV4tPsY

My first reaction was:

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

Then I proceeded to giggle and dispense jibberish like a little schoolgirl. Yeah, did NOT see that coming. Makes up for Mario not being the ref by a mile, doesn't it?
I am always a skeptic of low grade still shots.

If it's not to much of a bother, could someone confirm or disprove this rumor before it becomes as bad as the "Sonic is unlockable in melee" rumor?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
hooooooooleeeeeeee sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

It may not be Captain Falcon, but ****, it's good enough.

So wait, DK is able to be a boxer, but Mario can't be the referee? I call shenanigans.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Looks pretty real to me.
If it was true, then there would probably be a video of the fight. One in which we can see DK's animations.

I tend to believe that screenshots (such as these) are used when someone wants to start a fake rumor, but lacks the hacking ability to make a video of the rumored character in motion, so instead they photoshop up some fake images and put them on youtube.

In other words, I don't want to see Donkey Kong until I see him fighting Little Mac. And I want to see it in the next week - because I know that someone can unlock the game in a week, but to hack up a character with animations for a prank it takes a few months (like the homebrewed Brawl fighter Geno).

I just realized your name is Deception :laugh:. It's to bad though, because putting franchise characters in all Nintendo games is actually a good marketting technique.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Even if they are just pictures, they look way too well-done to be photoshops.
Like, I can imagine it being fake if it was like, another SSB game, but punch out? Nobody really cares that much to put that much effort into a photoshop, let alone 3.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
If it was true, then there would probably be a video of the fight. One in which we can see DK's animations.

I tend to believe that screenshots (such as these) are used when someone wants to start a fake rumor, but lacks the hacking ability to make a video of the rumored character in motion, so instead they photoshop up some fake images and put them on youtube.

In other words, I don't want to see Donkey Kong until I see him fighting Little Mac. And I want to see it in the next week - because I know that someone can unlock the game in a week, but to hack up a character with animations for a prank it takes a few months (like the homebrewed Brawl fighter Geno).

I just realized your name is Deception :laugh:. It's to bad though, because putting franchise characters in all Nintendo games is actually a good marketting technique.
They're called "secret characters"/"unlockables" for a reason; the general public isn't supposed to know about them until they've played it. And since only a few people have actually played the game this far, obviously, they're not going to be able to reveal much about what the game has until the game has been officially released.

*Sees other vide*

Oh, nevermind.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Anyway, I finally got it, and I've been playing it ever since this morning. But I got hungry, and I found a good time to stop.

So far, I'm up to Mr. Sandman, and he's just as tough as he is in the NES game. I lost to him, Great Tiger, and Super Macho Man 2, so that's 4 loses under my belt. But I'll keep practicing!

As for the controls of the game, I decided to try out the motion control, just to see what it's like, and it was okay, but I still prefer the classic NES way. Less tiring, and still satisfying.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Holy ****!?! I didn't even know he can take that much damage if he hit's you when he's mad. Can you even dodge that?
Oh sure. He'll either attack from the left or right, so all you have to do is move in the other direction (i.e., he's attacking form the left, so dodge to the right).

BTW, I made a FaceBook group for everyone who knew Dragon Chan should have been in this game:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=79115472543&ref=mf

Either way, thought, I love this game, it's loads of fun. Sure, it's a challenge to beat everyone and complete all the challenges, but you can still just pick up and play.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ When I come back to the US on June, I'm going to buy this game and love it. I would get this by mail, but I don't want to pay the extra money. XD ♥

Top Bottom