• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Psycological Defeat. [My take]

GreenMarth

Smash Apprentice
Let me begin by saying this is not a B rawl game guide on how to improve your mental state during battles. This is simply an observation on something that i think may have been over looked. Also let me say that this is NOT YOUR ENEMY PSYCHOLOGICALLY DEFEATING YOU... its yourself. =)

And do me a favor and please read the whole thing =)

Well, no doubt you've lost to a player thats worse than you before. Now they're going off about how they beat you when you were your best character. Of course, you ask for a rematch. Well if they accept, you go into the game somewhat nervous and angry. Well...i dunno about you but i think this is the ABSOLUTE WORST way to enter a match.

This applies to any match at all, even with those better than you and I think its because of this:
1. When playing a match you think you will WIN, there is a certain obligation to win, almost like it HAS to happen this way. When you comes to accept this you start to get overconfident [in mindset and play style]. Needless to say this will cause you to make more ridiculous attempts at spikes, combos, Etc. Doing this could lead to silly mistakes like killing yourself and silly mistakes.

You also could get nervous in such a match when you see your percentage going higher than your opponent's[and although this might not count for much, it can cause a lot of in game stress]. At this point you might feel a bit like there is a possibility that you could lose and you say to yourself in some way "Is this guy gonna seriously beat me?". THis is a big mistake, because in my case anyway, this starts to become truer and truer and you cant rely on the opponent screwing themselves over again. Well in my case, more often than not when this happens I lose.

2. When you go into a match expecting to LOSE (or with a small dream of winning) you believe there is no way you will win. You play more defensively using the same smash attacks over and over when the opponent comes near. This is an easy strategy to beat, especially when the opponent has projectiles. When you get down 1-2 lives you begin to feel there is nothing you can do to win anymore and that you just have to fight until you lose the match. Ever notice that when both players are on the last stock, the one with like 50 higher % almost always takes the victory (mostly in casual players). Well this is only because you accept defeat as inevitable.

Also when you use moves that frequently fail, you tend to associate them with failure and assume that you should not do it anymore. This doesn't necessarily mean that the move you're using is bad, it could simply mean youre not using it right. Leading to loss of maximum potential.

...well these were not suggestions, more like identifying problems. Im not asking for help overcoming these because know why is half the problem (CAUSE KNOWLAGE IS POWER). But any input at all, suggestions, feedback.......compliments:chuckle: anything. is all appreciated....

now maybe im over-analyzing and stating the problem with me specifically but hey i just wanna see how other smashers feel about this and any feeling/thoughts on this at all.

~Bill

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
My worst adversary happens to be random spawn placement when starting a match....I have lost no less than four matches in Sudden Death on Wi-Fi today because I'd respawn as Zelda on Green Hill Zone thinking I was on the left when I was on the right. Din's Fire to nowhere-->easy kill for the other guy. After that, I'd get so frustrated that the whole psychological affair would kick in and I'd struggle the next 2-3 matches. Crazy...

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
I hate when you get someone like pit who just ***** around until the bombs fall in sudden death and when you are going to die he jumps under the stage, hovers, and repeats. Seeing gay tactics makes me psychologically goof and not react the right way.

Vice Lord

Smash Apprentice
Scarborough, Ontario (Scarberian barbarians)
i like this topic topic, and i think everyone has experienced varying degrees of this. Sometimes though this stress can be good, make you more focused if it doesn't overwhelm you, and put you in DA zone. Once a better player than me in a 4 stock match after we exchanged a stock each, proceeded to gimp me on my second, then shortlyafterwards i missed the edge and killed myself on my third at a very low percent (he had very little dmg by now. At this point i focused hard and read his moves much clearer and beat him with less than 50 dmg on my last stock. While this may also of been frustration on his part, it's just an example of how stress can work to your advantage sometimes.

berserker515

Smash Cadet
wow this is what happenes to me a lot. wow i never thought of it before though. well now that i know the problem i guess i could work on fixing it.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
All I do is switch my game up to grabbing constantly, while being evasive to try to get my rhythm back. Works pretty effectively. Also becoming a projectile spammer can help when the tempo isn't right.

Trig417

Smash Rookie
Being confident is an important part of playing Smash though. Sure, don't go in thinking "Oh i'm gonna **** this guy so hard i'm not gonna try" but being confident is very important, especially in Smash.

Against a tough opponent you don't think you can beat, be spontaneous, but you don't want to be defensive. Becoming scared means you become predictable, and predicatbility = losing, and losing is bad, therefore predicability is bad, and playing scared is bad.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I call it "Having a Mindgasm"
fairly apropriate

mango_jones

Smash Rookie
Funny, this exact thing happened to a friend of mine. He won a tourney at my school, and this other guy was talking an enormous amount of smack talk, so they decided to play. So in one corner, we had the person who is the better smash player, expecting to win. And of course, he doesn't. I can blame the entire defeat on his mental state. They played a best of three, and as soon as my friend lost the first match, he couldn't come back. Seeing this thread makes it all make sense.

ZAxel

Smash Cadet
This happens to me all the time. Here's an example:
A couple of days ago my friend got SSBB and he played it for the first time with me. Because I'm nice, I told him Pit would be good for a beginner. My friend basically only used B, Side B, and Up B. Since it was a new copy of the game, my mains (Wolf and ROB) weren't unlocked, so I had to resort to using Fox, Bowser, and Pit.
After our second match, my friend's beginner's luck kicked in and he won a match. During a 10-stock, 4-man brawl w/items is when I really started thinking like this, especially right after being killed by rolling crates twice:mad::mad:. My friend now thinks he's better than me and when I said that I wasn't using my mains, he said that his skill was natural, whereas mine only applied to certain characters.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
Very true. Negative psychological effects in and out of the game contribute greatly to the tide of the match. Gimpy made a video about playing with the right mindset which can be found here: [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9khDedACgY ], this video explains some points that were brought up in the OP's post too.

Oh and also one more thing to add to support the OP's take, psychological studies have proven that when you are emotional your IQ drops by about 70%, leading to often irrational and under thought courses of action.

Great post, I hope that many consider your advice while playing. Thanks

Squirtle_Squad

Smash Rookie
I would totally agree with the OP, I find that if I lose one match to my inferior brother I can soon find myself losing many in a row because losing to someone worse to you messes with your head and makes you play far worse than usual

Top Bottom