• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Psychology:Stage control.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I have been analysing a lot of videos post and interviews and I think stage control is an issue to talk about.

Stage control is very hard yet rewarding. 80% of the time players win in positional advantage.

This also collaborates with spacing in general. Tech chasing and pressure contributes to this as well. Counter picks. Platform usage. Character advantage on stages.

This is an open discussion for any character main.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
We all know stage control is very important so I'm not sure what else is to say. Stage control in melee reminds me of chess. In chess what's very good is to take center control early on and push forward, pinning down your opponents movement, options, and space. And strengthening yours.

If Falco played chess he would be able to move like twice before you go once, boo.

Bones0

Smash Legend
We all know stage control is very important so I'm not sure what else is to say. Stage control in melee reminds me of chess. In chess what's very good is to take center control early on and push forward, pinning down your opponents movement, options, and space. And strengthening yours.

If Falco played chess he would be able to move like twice before you go once, boo.
Yeah, but then as soon as you take one of his pieces the two nearest pieces also go with it. >_>

Massive

Smash Champion
Stage control correlates almost directly with the current tier list.

The highest tiered characters are also the best ones at stage control; it's pretty obvious when you think about it, but it reinforces how important controlling the stage is for controlling your opponent.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Hm I kind of agree with that. Doesn't Falcon and Samus have good stage control? and they aren't the best? or maybe their stage control is super butt.

Massive

Smash Champion
Hm I kind of agree with that. Doesn't Falcon and Samus have good stage control? and they aren't the best? or maybe their stage control is super butt.
The analogy holds pretty well for the top 7 or so. Past there tier order is more disputed and the correlation is more difficult to justify.

Regardless, going down the 2010 tier list:

Fox: He is very fast and can control every stage, ledge and all, with his huge range on usmash and bair. He can force an approach with lasers and is difficult to punish because of shines and fast recovery.

Falco: DEM LASERS. Also about 80% of the fox stuff.

Jiggs: Has terrifying range and unmatched aerial mobility. Can stop an opponent dead in midair. Controls a circle around itself, but that circle doesn't need to be on the stage at all. Dread Ledge-guards round out the character. Also rest.

Shiek: Fast and possessing decent sized, fast hitboxes. Easy combos and powerful aerials back opponents off or damage them heavily. Ledgeguards effortlessly and safely.

Marth: Reasonably fast with a large grab range. Peerless reach that extends through platforms and off the stage with no deficit.

Peach: Capable of controlling airspace with turnips and large horizontal tracts of airspace with floats. Similar to Jigglypuff in that she takes her portion of the "stage" with her wherever she goes, even if she's off the side.

Falcon: Super fast with effective aerials and small recovery time. Capable of comboing good damage/knockback moves together through pure speed and decent sized hitboxes. Fast enough to chase anyone almost anywhere.

If anything I would say falcon is the best at purely offensive stage control, he just has fewer options to control it defensively than higher tiered characters.

Acryte

Smash Ace
I like massives post. But yea I though this thread was gonna be pretty cool but I thought that about sinjis last thread which failed to deliver so I didn't get my hopes up :(

:phone:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
interestingly, ice climbers are often forced to the ledge but they are still quite strong there.

Top Bottom