• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Psat/sat

Zink

Smash Champion
Well, it looks like it's getting to be that time of year again: PSAT results were just returned, and the SATs/SAT IIs are not far away. Possibly the best example of major flaws in our educational system, the SAT test series will essentially decide how you will spend the four most important years of your life. For some silly reason, they test on stuff up to about freshman year of high school- basic grammar, geometry, and reading... in junior year, when you've had years to forget what you've learned. Enough complaints, though. This is important.
I got my PSATs back today. Total score was 222, which is in the top 1% of the nation (about 14,000), but of course it has no essay, so I'm a bit worried. There's no easy way to practice for the essay. Fortunately my mother's an Eglish teacher, so maybe I'll do decently... how are all you doing? I'm sure I'm not the only junior on SWF. How about the older guys? Any fond memories of the tests?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I think you're missing a digit there

Zink

Smash Champion
The PSAT is graded a decimal point lower than the SAT. It goes from 0-240, because there are a tenth as many questions, iirc.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
There's a lot more than 1/10th of the questions. I always just thought it was that each section is out of 80 rather than 800. Everything's just lowered by a power of 10 for some reason.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Well, I took my SAT in November, I believe. I got a 2280 total.

I got a 1580 if you don't include the writing section. So close to that 1600...

And studying? Pshhh. You don't need that. I didn't study, but I did fine.

222? That's really good. You'll most likely at least get Nation Merit Commended. Probably Semifinalist with that score.
Wait--are you saying that you get awards just for good SAT scores?

Do you think I'd win anything?

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
There is a National Merit Scholarship for those who take the PSAT. If you make semifinalist then there's other qualifications to see if you become a finalist (SAT scores, essays I think, I'm not completely sure, I got Commended).

As far as I know there are no awards for good SAT scores, though yours is pretty **** good.

I took my SAT at the start of the year (February I think) and got 750 Reading, 780 Math, and 660 Reading. I took the SAT II's (Subject Tests) at the start of November and got 680 Literature, 760 Math level 2, and 710 Spanish with Listening.

Now to finish my college apps...

Jammer

Smash Lord
There is a National Merit Scholarship for those who take the PSAT.

As far as I know there are no awards for good SAT scores
Wow, that's pretty dumb, if you ask me. I mean, SATs are way more important than PSATs. I never took a PSAT because I thought they were stupid, but now I wish I had because I probably would have gotten some kind of scholarship. Well, too late for that now, I guess.

tmanneopets

Smash Cadet
I took the actual SAT's in 8th grade and i got a 1640 total. I just took the PSAT's as a freshman, i still didnt get my results yet though.

Schweppes

Smash Ace
The SATs don't really decide everything for you, just gives you a general 'range' of colleges to look at. If you've taken challenging classes and received good grades, you can still get into a very good college (maybe not Ivy League, but they're something completely different).

I don't remember what I got on the PSATs, but with the real deal I got 800 English, 780 Math, 710 Writing (2290).

/brag

Jammer

Smash Lord
I don't remember what I got on the PSATs, but with the real deal I got 800 English, 780 Math, 710 Writing (2290).

/brag
If this is true, then you've gotten the same exact scores as me, except 10 more points in writing.

Which is very impressive, because my guidance counselor said my score was the highest he's ever seen in my school of about 1,750 people.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
For what it's worth, colleges don't care too much about the writing section right now, in general. That doesn't mean they won't look at it, but a number do recognize that it's still new and hasn't really been proven accurate or anything yet.

Agreed on the SATs not really being a determining factor in much of anything, as much as it's a guide. Believe it or not, about half of all students at any college got an SAT score below average for their school. The typical range is usually at least couple hundred points, too.

222 is pretty good, I'd say you have a shot at semifinalist. Osco's basically right that the finalist application is an essay (mine was boring as hell, but I don't think they care as much as colleges will) and, basically, proof that your PSAT wasn't a fluke. After that it's really up to chance as to whether you win anything; about half the finalists get some money, but most of that is corporate money or from the colleges they choose. There are some purely merit scholarships, though, too.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
1,750 isn't very big school [/jerk]

Well, I'll break the mold by posting that I got average scores. 660 in Critical Reading, 620 in Math, and 570 in Writing (which I don't get at all). Ends up at 1850. Without writing, 1280. I was hoping for a 1300 or above in that part, but eh. 1280 is good enough to get me into the colleges I want, so I'm happy enough with it.

Schweppes

Smash Ace
If this is true, then you've gotten the same exact scores as me, except 10 more points in writing.

Which is very impressive, because my guidance counselor said my score was the highest he's ever seen in my school of about 1,750 people.
Yup. Mine was/is the highest also (of about 1300). Yay standardized tests?

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
oh man, im studying right now (well, pseudo-studying) for my sat tmrw. i really hate standardized tests. judging by my practice scores, im not going to do as well as i expect i will. i got 700 math, 730 writing, 640 verbal, which is 2070 total. im trying to go for at least 2200, which wont be possible since i just sleep during the verbal sections, lol.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Agreed on the SATs not really being a determining factor in much of anything, as much as it's a guide. Believe it or not, about half of all students at any college got an SAT score below average for their school. The typical range is usually at least couple hundred points, too.
Yeah, my sister, an educator, says SATs are stupid, because some kids are just better test takers than others. Also, she says they are made for white middle class males. Kids in poverty, she says, are much less likely to do well on the SAT because of something which I forget (possibly life experience of something like that?).

Weid--I think I said that exact thing in another thread.

And Kirby King, that statistical fact about half the students at any college getting below average for the school--it can't possibly be true. It doesn't make any sense. Also, I got a 780 on the math, so you should listen to me.

since i just sleep during the verbal sections, lol.
You're planning on sleeping during the SAT? That didn't even cross my mind, and I hadn't slept at all the night before, due to my stupid insomnia that always gets worse at all the wrong times.

Black Waltz, you are crazier than I thought.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
took a practice this year as sophomore and got 1850 on the SAT sucky as hell, also getting psat back in december i think i aced this one

also took the PLAN test this year which is like the junior ACT all sophomores required to take this thing i aced this one as well

im going to take the real psat and sat in my junior year

EDIT: EORLINGAS I GOT THE SAME EXACT THING AS YOU DID THIS YEAR

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Yeah, my sister, an educator, says SATs are stupid, because some kids are just better test takers than others. Also, she says they are made for white middle class males. Kids in poverty, she says, are much less likely to do well on the SAT because of something which I forget (possibly life experience of something like that?).

And Kirby King, that statistical fact about half the students at any college getting below average for the school--it can't possibly be true. It doesn't make any sense. Also, I got a 780 on the math, so you should listen to me.

You're planning on sleeping during the SAT? That didn't even cross my mind, and I hadn't slept at all the night before, due to my stupid insomnia that always gets worse at all the wrong times.

lulz, i was exaggerating. i dont actually sleep, i just kinda tune out during the long passages and i realize that i only have 5 mins to read through and answer 10 questions.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
I just got my PSATs back today and I wasn't too pleased. I got 1510 on everything, 970 without the writing sentence editing part (the last part). Here's my situation:

I am ranked 8th in my class out of 170 students with a 93 average. I was in the 50th (give or take a few) percentile for the English and Math part. My biggest weakness is that it's a timed test, and I'm a moderately slow test taker. I can tell you now that if it weren't a timed test, I would ace the stupid thing. But instead, I'm stuck with a mediocre score due short time periods. This especially sucks for me because I want into a really good school (1100 - 1350 is the middle 50%)

Now I'm confused about something. Do colleges only look at the math and english part of the SAT when considering admissions, or do they include the essay part too?

Jammer

Smash Lord
Now I'm confused about something. Do colleges only look at the math and english part of the SAT when considering admissions, or do they include the essay part too?
It depends on the college, I believe.

But I don't think you should worry too much about your SAT scores. If the college sees that you're a good student, they will let you in. They actually don't put much emphasis on the SATs, if what I've been told is correct.

It's much more important to have good grades, be involved in extracurriculars, and stuff like that.

peachori

Smash Journeyman
yeah, the SAT is total bull**** but its the only measure colleges have that is standardized across the country. grades are the most important in my experience, and ecs are probably as important or maybe less important than grades..at least for engineering, i wouldnt know much about how admissions in the humanities are considered.

something interesting i found when picking a college: ranking/perception isnt everything. i got into pretty much every elite university in my field, and yet i ended up at a school that i never thought i would go to (mainly because its close to home)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
You guys make me feel old... :p I took the SAT's a long time ago, before they added a third section to it.

If you guys are looking for tips, the biggest I could give is how to outsmart the reading comprehension section of the test (if it hasn't changed much in about 6 years). Look for the most politically correct statement out of all the choices. A standardized test will never have anything extremely negative to say about a black author, woman scientist, native American tribe, etc. If all your choices are positive, choose the one that is the most positive without sounding over the top. If they are all negative, choose the least negative statement. (like a slap on the wrist, as opposed to extreme bashing) My score went up by 90 points, only in the reading section because of this advice.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
I didn't get my PSAT back, but I know I got perfect on the math. The question is how bad I did on the reading/English(Plus I take it again next year, I'm only a sophmore). On the SAT I'm pretty sure I'll get perfect on the math so 600 on the English won't be too hard to get at or above that 1400 for Cooper Union.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I didn't get my PSAT back, but I know I got perfect on the math. The question is how bad I did on the reading/English(Plus I take it again next year, I'm only a sophmore). On the SAT I'm pretty sure I'll get perfect on the math so 600 on the English won't be too hard to get at or above that 1400 for Cooper Union.
Well...don't be too sure of yourself.

I was fully expecting to get perfect on the math, and about 700 on the reading. I ended up getting 780 on the math, and perfect on the reading.

I have always aced every single math exam I've ever taken (as in, 100% for all the final exams and the Math A and Math B in NY State). So I was very surprised to not get a perfect on math on the SAT.

I'm not saying you will do bad--just don't count your eggs before they hatch.

Zink

Smash Champion
It's so funny. There's a few people in my class who aced math but pooped out on the English parts. Me and the class genius(224, he beat me by a HAIR) both got more balanced scores: I got 1 wrong on reading, 1 on writing, and 4 on math lol (even more lol, 3/4 were geometry questions!).
I've really been thinking about test philosophy. I ALWAYS strive to answer every question. So I was analyzing why, and I came up with an idea: consider the scoring system. Correct answers are 1 point. Blank answers are no points. Wrong answers are minus .25 points. This is intended to discourage guessing but... think a little. A wrong answer is actually -1.25 points, and blank is -1 point: you are losing the potential 1 point for getting the answer right. So it's very important to answer as many as you can- eliminate 2 answers and you are free to guess, assuming you don't know the answer.
Thanks for the PC tip, RA. I actually didn't consider that this sort of bias would extend to the SATs as well, but there you go, I guess I'm naive. Oh well, maybe now I can ace reading.
Here's another tip: take the SAT IIs. I already did chem (650 :urg::urg::urg:) and I'm going to do English, history, and probably next year, Spanish. They look delicious on a transcript, and they also help a lot: for example, a good AP English teacher can prep you for the AP test well enough that you can carry it over to the reading/writing portions of the SATs.
PS: Just to brag... my mother is an English teacher who is certified to tutor the SAT essay *woot* of course, this is the section that colleges care less about... :(

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I was in the first group to take the new SATs... in other words, I took the new version (with the writing section and all) the first time it was administered... back in March 2004 I think?

I got a 2220 (740/740/740). While it's true that the SAT doesn't necessarily test (all) types of intelligence, it is a good standardized measure for colleges to use when comparing students from different school systems.

Additionally, virtually every college understands that students from low-income families and poor schools do not have the same opportunities as a middle class student; therefore, lower scores are expected of them. What matters most is how they perform relative to other students at their school.

SAT IIs (SAT subject tests) are a bit better though, because they test you on specific topics. I took the Bio-M (800) and Chem (760). Those were fun.

SHINE FX

Smash Apprentice

Well, the thing is, colleges like to build up their reputation by providing impressive statistics; I heard that they record your highest scores for each of the SAT sections ever and add them up, so your highest single SAT score will likely be lower than what the colleges input.

I'm currently a sophomore in high school right now and haven't really studied extensively for the SATs. I've taken it once before in 8th grade and scored a 1760. Earlier this year, I took a practice PSAT, which my school provided, and scored a 217 or something. I don't think I did nearly as well on the actual PSAT though.

I'm probably going to study all summer for the Junior year PSAT (which counts toward National Merit Scholarships) to get a decent grade.

I do pretty well in class (6th in a class of 817 last year), but in terms of SAT scores, I desperately need to improve. >_>

I think Asians actually struggle with this test more so than the Caucasian population due to their bilingual households. The reading section is like a stab in the face. Math is pretty easy. (PSAT writing=good, SAT writing=good/horrible depending on the essay topic)

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
I took my SAT today, first time ever (I'm a junior).

The math section was easy as crap; even easier than the PSAT. I only had to guess on like one question, and even then I was pretty certain of the answer.

Critical reading was a bit more difficult, but I know I did really well.

Out of 130 students in my class, I'm tied for first. I got the highest PSAT score in my school's history last year (it was a 218), and I really hope I do even better this year (haven't gotten my scores yet, should get them on Monday most likely).

I should be very, very happy come December 29th. By the time I graduate, I'm looking for a perfect math and near-perfect reading, since I'm aiming for some very prestigious schools, and perfect SATs are never a detriment :p

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Nearly everyone who posted their scores in this topic got better scores than me. :(
620 Math/620 Reading/510 Writing (I was so robbed!) =1750

I was really surprised at the math section. If I had taken that section of the test back in Freshman year I would have done much better, and some of the problems I had never encountered. Honestly, when do you ever need to use the cat-wisker box set up? I had no idea what I was looking at. Overall, I really should have done better on this section. I'm shocked I didn't receive a higher score.

Reading was terrible. "Switching which two sentences would create a more coherent essay?" "According to the story, Billy is most likely: A) proud of his race, B) eats too much meat, C) should practice better sleeping habbits, or D) will be voted most likely to succeed by his peers." And I completely failed the vocabulary section. I really need to start reading some good books again.

The essay portion of the test was just lame due to the topic. If I was truely a good writer I'd have been able to make the essay good no matter what, but I just didn't care enough. At least my sentence structure was good. :/

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I consider myself a pretty good writer (at least good enough for school) and I got a terrible grade as well. I don't follow them.

My main problem is the length. At the first two hours, everything is just easy. By the end, at least on the reading part, I'm just confused. I mean, the question could be like

"What of the following is a word?

a. %
b. 4
c. Dog
d. +"

and I'd think "wtf this is god**** impossible". I got a good reading score, though, so eh. I'm just so exhausted by the end of it that everything is three times as hard. I'd agree that studying doesn't do that much, but if you can do several practice tests, do them. It'll at least familiarize you with the work, and maybe give a few tips to help you with it.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I consider myself a pretty good writer (at least good enough for school) and I got a terrible grade as well. I don't follow them.
This was the part that pissed me off the most. I'm not excellent at writing in any way, but I'm at least decent. My friend however, no offense to him, SUCKS at writing. I've peer read his essays, and unless he pulled out some unseen talent out of nowhere there's no way he should have received the same score I did. Or perhaps he offered some great insight on the topic. (but I doubt this from what I've seen over the years)

And the length of the test is way too long especially when they start asking horrible questions which only frustrate you.

Correct this sentence:
"Wisdom is really good when it comes to chosing those hard things in life."

Technically the sentence is fine, but it still fails. >_>
There were way too many of these.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I also hated that part because, since I do write, I couldn't tell if it really needed to be changed, or if I just wanted to change it because it was written terribly.

Schweppes

Smash Ace

Something to note is that the SATs are taken under time restrictions for a reason...they want to see how well you do under pressure, something important for college. You can't really complain about that because fast logic/reasoning > slow logic and reasoning, and that's just part of the test.

Also, the overall length is to test your "stamina," and someone who can continue working their brain for longer periods of time would probably in some way have a stronger mental capacity...

But I'd probably ***** if I didn't get a good score. >_>>>;

Jammer

Smash Lord
Something to note is that the SATs are taken under time restrictions for a reason...they want to see how well you do under pressure, something important for college. You can't really complain about that because fast logic/reasoning > slow logic and reasoning, and that's just part of the test.
Yeah, about that: I don't mean to brag, but I finished every single section, except the essay and the one 10-minute section, in half the time or less than we were given.

I finished the essay in 17 minutes, the 10-minute section in about 6 minutes, all the 25-minute sections in about 10-12 minutes, and the 20-minute sections in 8-10 minutes. That includes skimming over my answers to see if I made a dumb mistake, and proofreading my essay.

I did spend 4 or so minutes after that carefully looking over everything (and adding a very nice "THE END" with lots of curlicues to the essay), but I never changed an answer after doing that. Then I tried to doze off for the last 5 to 10 minutes in each section because I was really tired from not having slept the night before. Either that or I chatted with the proctors to help me relax.

I would have gotten practically the same score if the time restrictions were cut in half, although I would have missed a couple questions on the 10-minute section, and I would have done much worse on the essay.

Just wondering: Did anyone else finish it much faster than the time they were given? There was a kid next to me who consistently finished several minutes before the time limit, so I know that I'm not one-of-a-kind here.

And what does this say about me? I think it's true that, unless I'm pressured, I hardly work at all. But I really surprised myself there.

And by the way, I haven't told anyone this, but I took an Adderall XR pill before taking the test (it's medication for ADD, and yes, I have a prescription). I've been off that for months because of the side effects. I still got my usually stomach ache and shot nerves, but it was amazing to not have the ADD for a day again.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I also finished quickly; I tend to finish tests quickly in general. All it means is that you work fast, which is certainly not bad.

There's nothing wrong with taking the whole time either. It is bad if you need more than the allotted time or if you have trouble finishing before time is called.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer

Also, the overall length is to test your "stamina," and someone who can continue working their brain for longer periods of time would probably in some way have a stronger mental capacity...

But I'd probably ***** if I didn't get a good score. >_>>>;
No one was saying it should be different, we where just saying what gave us problems with it. I was giving a suggestion, how much stamina you have is the same as when you're running, you train for it. If someone doesn't spend that much time studying or doing homework, then the SAT's will wear them out. I wish I had spent more time beforehand working on long tests, it would have helped.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering: Did anyone else finish it much faster than the time they were given? There was a kid next to me who consistently finished several minutes before the time limit, so I know that I'm not one-of-a-kind here
I finished the 25-minute sections in about 15-18 minutes normally, the ten-minute section in 6, the essay in 19 or 20, and the 20-minute section in about 13. Not quite as fast, but still pretty good. Didn't have to change any answers when I looked over, either.

I honestly didn't feel pressed for time at all, which was awesome.

Top Bottom