• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Protip #1: Practicing Smash without sound!

OverLade

Smash Hero
Hey Smashboards fam. It's been a while, but I just dropped a new TL;DR video series. I know a lot of people found my previous videos too long and too dense, so I wanted to try something different! This one is a tip on practicing more effectively for tournament and making your game more consistent! Practicing without sound. Check it out!
Please like and subscribe if you enjoyed the video.

Also follow me on Twitter for more updates on Smash related content!

Megamang

Smash Lord
Nah, i like sound. Many inportant cues occur audibly way before visibly, most notably bouncing fish.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I play with my headphones on loud, does that count?

OverLade

Smash Hero
I'm not suggesting sound is a bad thing, I prefer to have sound. But practicing without sound will help you since you won't ALWAYS be able to hear everything.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Nah, i like sound. Many inportant cues occur audibly way before visibly, most notably bouncing fish.

Ideally we always have sound, but as highlighted in the video earlier on and also stated by Lade here, you don't always have the opportunity to play in the same conditions as you would comfortably at home or at a friend's place.
Most of the time we're playing on TVs, but for most tournament venues they're relying on monitors which have terrible sound output, feeble compared to the background sounds of a general tournament or a crowd. As much as I consider myself an audio reactor (my eyesight is terrible), I'd rather listen to music than get put on tilt because of a large unexpected sound going on around me; heck I find it difficult not to listen to what people are saying either and this is honestly a lot more detrimental to one's play than you would expect.

I don't "practice" without sound, but on the day of a tournament where I Intend to be extremely no-chill, I'm practicing and warming up without sound the entire day, no exceptions.

Last edited:

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
I think if you have problems to play without sound, it should be pretty easy to realize. Personally I do not, but if I had, it might be clever to train without sound indeed, since I do not expect to have good sound in a tournament venue.

The people who want to turn up the volume in a tourney so that they can hear the game sound actually annoy me (even though I was until now too polite to tell them).

Last edited:

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
I think if you have problems to play without sound, it should be pretty easy to realize. Personally I do not, but if I had, it might be clever to train without sound indeed, since I do not expect to have good sound in a tournament venue.

The people who want to turn up the volume in a tourney so that they can hear the game sound actually annoy me (even though I was until now too polite to tell them).
the thing is some people need to hear some things to react better, but they should be carrying headphones for that.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Regardless of whether it annoys you, id like to use it and it can hardly be argued to not be a part of the game.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
The thing is that the TVs usually are not set very loudly for a reason. If you got a venue with lots of people and TVs and everyone would turn up the volume it would be like crazy loud, which can be very distracting. Especially, since the sound quality on tournament screens often is pretty bad anyway. It is not like I hate people who do that, but yeah headphones should be the prefered choice imo.

Top Bottom