• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prolly known but id thought id post it incase

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
So Lucario has the AAA combo which can be changed into A>A>Utilt. I was playing today and found out that with the right timing you can also A>A> Grab. This lets u set up for a forward throw off the stage or just a bunch of pummels until they let go then forward smash or shoot a charged shot.

This def works cuz a lot of ppl prolly just accept their fate after the first 2 hits and just try to di or block which allows u to grab or dash grab.

Just thought i'd point that out in case people didn't know.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Yeah, some characters get great use out of their jabs for mixups, Lucario is one of them. It's good to learn to use jabs to pressure shields and force the opponent into very predictable behavior, since from the first or second jabs you can grab, tilt, jump, shield, Aura Sphere, and of course, finish the jab combo.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
So Lucario has the AAA combo which can be changed into A>A>Utilt. I was playing today and found out that with the right timing you can also A>A> Grab. This lets u set up for a forward throw off the stage or just a bunch of pummels until they let go then forward smash or shoot a charged shot.
After the grab, you can start another combo at low enough percents by down throwing, short hopping and D-Air, or B-Air---- but yes, this A-A-Grab is really useful, and many times, lower level players don't expect it at all.

Milln

Smash Champion
I'm tellin' you guys. It Does Not Work against better people. You'll either get DI'd away from and the hit will miss, or you'll get airdodged or even hit, or jumped away from. A > A > Grab doesn't even work against computers, who will jump and make you miss the grab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbFhTlK_Aw
At 3:45, Computer DI's away from utilt enough to where if it was an actual person, they could shield or whatever.
At 3:48, Computer jumps out of A>A>Grab

A>A>Grab is probably the only thing you'll use since you grab them quickly if they shield the first two hits. But that's the only situation you'd use it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It doesn't always work, but there's a lot to be said about mixups and doing the unexpected. You'll catch people offguard every once in a while with it.

With that being said, it's probably not spam worthy, but you can still test it and see what you can do with it. ;)

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
I'm tellin' you guys. It Does Not Work against better people. You'll either get DI'd away from and the hit will miss, or you'll get airdodged or even hit, or jumped away from. A > A > Grab doesn't even work against computers, who will jump and make you miss the grab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbFhTlK_Aw
At 3:45, Computer DI's away from utilt enough to where if it was an actual person, they could shield or whatever.
At 3:48, Computer jumps out of A>A>Grab

A>A>Grab is probably the only thing you'll use since you grab them quickly if they shield the first two hits. But that's the only situation you'd use it.
Nothing works when you're predictable, and computers aren't relevant. I've had level 9's powershield five of Pikachu's jab hits in a row, it doesn't mean humans can do it.

Jabs like Lucario's have speed and little to no ending lag, which is why it is imperative that you find ways to mix those up with other fast attacks, and build a framework around the opponents' reactions to the grabs, with corresponding reactions of your own to follow up. That is what mix-ups are all about, not going in and doing jab->jab->grab every time.

Seriously, this is basic stuff.

xCheeZe

Smash Rookie
no infi is correct, any half awake and not mentaly disabled player can easily get out of an AAgrab, AAutilt AA-anything that isnt A again., its just a matter of spamming either ur jump button, sheild or simply just DIing in the opposite direction.

**NOTE**this tactic does work against players whove only played brawl a maximum of 5 minutes and still think sonic is the coolest guy ever and deserves 7 brownies for his coolness factor.

Milln

Smash Champion
Nothing works when you're predictable, and computers aren't relevant. I've had level 9's powershield five of Pikachu's jab hits in a row, it doesn't mean humans can do it.

Jabs like Lucario's have speed and little to no ending lag, which is why it is imperative that you find ways to mix those up with other fast attacks, and build a framework around the opponents' reactions to the grabs, with corresponding reactions of your own to follow up. That is what mix-ups are all about, not going in and doing jab->jab->grab every time.

Seriously, this is basic stuff.
Humans can powershield Pika jabs as many times as they want as long as they know when it hits. Go watch that one Daigo movie of him parrying Chun-Li's entire Super and then winning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA What i'm talking about starts at 2:44

Luca's Jabs do have speed, and little ending lag (It's not zero.), but they also have very little hitstun to the opponent, allowing them to do whatever if you don't finish it with the third A. I realize it's basic to mix up your attacks, but what else is basic is realizing the opponent has a mind, too, and their own way of playing. They WILL know that you can jab cancel at any time and they also know that the third hit will never KO them, so they'll be DI-ing away from you or jump or -SOMETHING- to get out of something that would be much worse than the last hit. It won't work when you need it to against someone who knows what they're doing.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
the parrying vid is a lil diff.

But saying this doesnt work so dont use it is like saying dont use the foward smash cuz its start up lag makes it easy to avoid. It does work cuz I have done it on people who kno what theyre doing and kno how to play. And im pretty sure not everyone is going to try and jump out of the jabs, and if EVERYONE does, then jsut jab twice into a fair or nair. Its all situational, if ur oppnent blocks the first to jabs, then grab, if they try to di, attack more or grab.

Computers play different and have much differnt reaction than humans do. Humans will rarely be able to perform the same thing exactly the same way every time.

In the end, it does work cuz ive done it on people, not the whole match, but its jsut something else to use.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Humans can powershield Pika jabs as many times as they want as long as they know when it hits. Go watch that one Daigo movie of him parrying Chun-Li's entire Super and then winning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA What i'm talking about starts at 2:44

Luca's Jabs do have speed, and little ending lag (It's not zero.), but they also have very little hitstun to the opponent, allowing them to do whatever if you don't finish it with the third A. I realize it's basic to mix up your attacks, but what else is basic is realizing the opponent has a mind, too, and their own way of playing. They WILL know that you can jab cancel at any time and they also know that the third hit will never KO them, so they'll be DI-ing away from you or jump or -SOMETHING- to get out of something that would be much worse than the last hit. It won't work when you need it to against someone who knows what they're doing.
So then cancel the second jab and chase with fair or maybe something safer. In your scenario, you'd be able to tell that they're going to DI or jump away, so you do have that edge. All I'm saying is that jabs open doors via mixups, and they shouldn't be ignored just because opponents who predict certain tactics can use DI to counter them.

Hestix

Smash Cadet
It isn't a game of chess. People will not move and wait for your reaction, it is much more fluid.

That said, there are occasions where an opponent could be particularly vulnerable to a-a-grab or something of the kind. It depends on to many variables to establish whether or not it simply works. Sometimes it will work if they fail at DIing or decide to block, but those are inconsistent situations.

It is potentially useful strategy against many opponents, but if you are not playing in a dynamic fashion it will achieve nothing whatsoever.

Milln

Smash Champion
I'm not saying "It doesn't work so don't use it". I'm saying "It doesn't work, so don't count on it to." >,>

Also, you can't tell if an opponent is DI-ing away with just the two jabs since they go way too fast for them to get anywhere. The DI comes after the second jab has hit (where they'd realize they are hit and start that, anyway) and would get them away before you can follow up with much.

But do what works for you. Side-B sounds like it would be safe to use... hmm.. ACTUALLY... How about ftilt, guys? Wouldn't that be safe to throw out from the cancel?

Top Bottom