• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Project] Smash Curriculum: The Ultimate Guide to Melee

Would you be interested in a ultimate guide to Melee?

• Total voters

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
No need for a capture device, I can record Dolphin at full speed. I'd say we mostly need people for organizing the huge list of techniques and strategies to go over. The most important part of the project, in my opinion, is having things very neatly sectioned so everything becomes clear and the user can progress at a steady level.
I was wondering should the video cover character specific techniques at all, perhaps not.

Discussion is needed about which techniques should be presented in which order to make learning plausible for new players.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Yo, we need to get back at this people. A wholly new video guide would be more important to the scene than Melee at EVO

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Dead? Looks reborn to me. Let's do this, seriously.
There needs to be something said about breaking casual game habits and such too. I know my biggest problem is tilts, 'cause panic throttling the control stick is kinda just natural in the casual setting where you just wanna hit the guy (and the problem of rushing in without a set plan comes into play there too). Funny thing is I play characters that have awesome Utilts that I never use. Just an example but yeah.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
The project I'm currently working on is pretty much that. I just need to learn a good deal of Avisynth scripting so that I can quickly showcase things like input display.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, melee should remain a sandbox fighter and we should only tell new players about the basics (shffl, sweetspotting, wavedashing) and let them figure out what works for them

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I don't know, melee should remain a sandbox fighter and we should only tell new players about the basics (shffl, sweetspotting, wavedashing) and let them figure out what works for them
I disagree. If we educate people it ends up improving everyone's skill.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Nuttre. As I'm a beginner, I would rather figure out what works for me and just learn the basics of the game like wavedashing, edge gaurding and so on and so forth. Ultimately, this is a sandbox game, so you can do what ever you want and make up your own combos.

Dacka

Smash Rookie
That would be awesome ! I really struggle playing Melee mainly because the game is so fast and completely different from other "fighting games" and when i read guides on smashboards i feel like they are not made for newbies.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
Ive had a look at the site and I changed my mind: great idea, just don't tell people how to play the game :bee:
I would love to see a bank of information on how to do things, without making people rethink their playstyle

Last edited:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Ive had a look at the site and I changed my mind: great idea, just don't tell people how to play the game :bee:
I would love to see a bank of information on how to do things, without making people rethink their playstyle
Please do not misunderstand. That blog of mine is merely an experiment. The relevant point was that I've reserved & paid for the domain name which can be freely used for this project.

brn360

Smash Rookie
NNID
brn360
Please make this a reality guys! As a casual player looking to get into competitive smash, I could really benefit from this a lot!

Kadano

Magical Express
Please make this a reality guys! As a casual player looking to get into competitive smash, I could really benefit from this a lot!
What is the lowest level where you think we should start? Like, listing the controller inputs for all the attacks, explaining movement options etc.
What's the simplest / most basic thing we should still explain?

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I would start with DI since that is the most crucial skill to learn at the beginning when everybody is better than you are you are getting combo'd left and right.

Plus it means that getting wrecked can actually be fun and interesting since you are exploring the game as you are getting 'destroyed'.

Last edited:

brn360

Smash Rookie
NNID
brn360
What is the lowest level where you think we should start? Like, listing the controller inputs for all the attacks, explaining movement options etc.
What's the simplest / most basic thing we should still explain?
I don't think you need to list controller inputs for the basic attacks since you can get that from the tutorial. What I'm looking for is the best way to apply these skills.

Top Bottom