• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project SDI (Snake Directional Influence)

I am not sure if anyone was like me, but I came into brawl without any smash experience. I understood the existance of DI and used it primarily for strong knockback attacks that could potientially kill me. I also used it for multi-hitting attacks, but that was the extent of how I used DI.

After really getting into melee, I learned the importance of DI to get out of combos. Since then, it struck me how much I failed to include DI to get out of follow-ups in brawl. I am always relying upon a 2nd jump, airdodge, or an attack to get out of follow-ups.

Since snake has so few options against people when getting hit, knowing how to DI certain moves against common follow-ups can make a huge impace on avoiding taking unecessary damage. The hope I have with this project is to make a list of as many character related combo/follow-ups everyone has on snake. Then, discuss the types of advantages different types of DI would have on the situation.

This would be very similar to generating a list of all the possible scenarios you get placed in and coming up with a solution to them. While I have heard some say those sort of methods do not help because it is impossible to memorize them, I beg to differ. When you spent a time period of months doing something like playing smash, you gradually learn over that period of time making it possible to get accustomed to a large amount of information.

Maybe someone will say this is all theorycrafting and it will amount to nothing. Again, there are correct and incorrect forms of how to think about theory. I think that this method of discussion would prove to be quiet helpful. The same scenarios in brawl get repeated much more often than we realize, and having information to look at ahead of time I believe will be extremely important. Brawl is still pretty new. New players, new mechanics, and new scenarios. So the tactical discussion of DI seems to be lacking in brawl when in melee it's a pretty big concept. How you DI marth's throws in melee could mean the difference between getting hit by a fsmash or not. So its a tad more important in melee than in brawl, but either way, it is something to be discussed.

Anyway, enough for justification. Your thoughts on this idea and anything to contribute?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is DI against sonic's throws. DI his dthrow down, and tech allowing for a jab or ftilt follow-up. If you start doing this, sonic will likely have to resort to his other grabs to avoid getting punished for Dthrow against Snake. Uthrow on snake at high percents allows sonic to follow with his UpB. DI the Uthrow in that case left or right. At lower percents I would say DI left or right, but whatever puts you to the front of sonic. If he is going to try to follow you in the air, Fair is a likely follow-up and if you get hit by Fair, you can DI out of Fair.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
I like this, sounds interesting. There is already of list of getting out of multihit moves, but its not complete. Its at the bottom. Its here: DI Guide by swordgard

But I like this thread, it deals with other kinds or moves that aren't so easy to choose a direction.

Alright, so I guess for throws, you have to memorize what each throw looks like. Don't wanna be DI'ing and get killed cause you expected a different throw.

napZzz

Smash Hero
since combos dont really exist I dont think its necessary to DI throws generally....I just thought that was common sense regardless

Underload

Lazy
Some of these threads lately have some good lessons in them. Don't forget anything you've learned, especially the very simple facts (like Nikita clashing with hitboxes), because it's little advancements like that that lead to good technicals and vast knowledge.

etecoon

Smash Hero
most throws are used as set ups and CAN combo frequently at low %, how you DI definitely impacts what they can do to you after

for instance MK dthrow > fair is a true combo, you can only avoid it by DIing out of range, where he does have other options as well, some of them you need to mix up because anything can be punishable and this is something I think people tend to do more reflexively and don't realize why they're being abused

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Aww boo oh well. The DI away from MK is really for all of his throws. He can psuedo CG you with Fthrows if you're not careful.

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah, as I said, a lot of characters have different options depending on how you DI, it's very much like snake's dthrow really, you can't do the same thing every time and expect to be safe

marth's throws are pretty homo against snake lol

MK's dthrow at lower percents I saw as a mix-up between away or towards. If you keep going away, you will just get CGed a couple of times. If you DI towards, you just got caught in the air a lot.
At higher percents, DI away the dthrow to force MK to tech chase you. Or if you get lucky, the DI away will cause you to slide off the stage and grab the ledge. Either way, it keeps snake on the ground.

Oh, and you can SDI the first hit of tornado. So pretty much double stick-up the tornado's first hit, you will get popped out enough to jump or airdodge out. Otherwise, you push the control stick in a direction to try to get out.

Marth's grabs was DI away I thought. But I am not exactly sure. All the different things he can do at lower percents gets me messed up. At anything higher, DI away seems safe enough to avoid anything really.

Top Bottom