• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M v3.5 Blog on Tethers Released by PM Dev Team

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Earlier this evening, the PM Dev Team published a new blog post on the upcoming Project M 3.5, this time highlighting tether recoveries. Though it sounds that the current idea is not set in stone, it is clear the PM Dev Team is intent on weakening the power of tether recoveries significantly, requiring characters with tether recoveries to approach the ledge more carefully when recovering.

Different types of tethers will be affected in different ways, but all types are being weakened substantially. According to the PM Dev Team's post:

1. Z-tethers only work once per air time. Special tethers (such as Zero Suit Samus's tethers) work twice per airtime. The harsher restriction on Z-tethers is offset by the ability to perform an Air Dodge before tethering as well as the option to use a traditional Up-Special recovery.

2. The forced hop is now quite laggy, a 50 frame animation (that’s fast-fallable to land quicker depending on the character's falling speed) that goes into a 30 frame specialfall-landlag animation upon landing. This hop does allow some horizontal drift control, so the tetherer can attempt to go back to the ledge, but the aerial drift they are allowed is lower than normal.

Read the whole post here.

The PM Dev Team has stressed that this is still in testing phases. At the end of their post, they also noted that a character's recovery will be analyzed in-depth tomorrow, so don't forget to check it out! Do these tether nerfs sound too harsh? Not harsh enough? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

This makes The Derrit a saaaaad Ivysaur main. Lament with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I was expecting something like this. I'm surprised they didn't opt to just allow tethers to be edgehoggable, as from what I've seen, that's the common complaint.

I think the reduction on how many times a tether can grab the ledge per airtime is pretty fair. Not sure how I feel about the superlag though.

But hey, what would I know? I play Roy.

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
Kind of saw this coming. Everyone should have.
This is a much needed change.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
Seeing as I don't play a tether character (yoshi), it doesn't effect me much.
My friend, on the other hand... (occasional Ivy)

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Aww... Now Samus will never be able to make it back to the stage. :troll:

Defile

Smash Apprentice
I think this is a good decision by the PMBR. Tether recoveries as they are now (especially long-range ones like Ivysaur and Samus') seem unfairly safe.

Last edited:

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I think this may be a bit much, but it's definitely justified for Ivysaur and Link. I know these changes were meant to be design-oriented instead of for balance purposes, but I think ZSS and Olimar will be garbage tier, which admittedly is still basically Melee mid-tier.
Tethers aren't as safe as people give them credit for (not that they aren't very safe recoveries in general), and we've seen plenty of players work with and utilize the tether mechanics to edgeguard tethers effectively.
That said, I like the overall direction of this change very much. Partly because it's what the game needs, partly because as a Falco main, I want everyone to suffer as I do offstage.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Changes need to stop happening so people can just learn the counterplay against them. Complaining is getting rewarded too much and the game suffers.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I have a(bad) feeling the character to be discussed is Link, since this tether thing affects him quite a bit, and considering that his Bomb Jump lets him recover from some abysmal places.

Don't nerf my boy.

Strawhat Jiggs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Evolzar89
I dont agree with only 1 tether per air time 3 was a bit much but I think 2 per air time would be better. Also 50 frames thats harsh

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I'm not necessarily against trying this out, but here's an alternative to consider.

When a character tethers the ledge, they automatically start reeling in.

Bam. Grab the ledge, hit them as they come in because there's no mystery about where they're going to be. It'll be the same as interrupting a recovery option with a set trajectory.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Just add stages, characters n costumes!! Friggin mechanics are fine! *rolls eyes*

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
To be fair, yes it's 50 frames and you're highly punishable, but in most cases your probably going to be sent back on stage anyway, which is a lot more than what most characters can ask for.

Plus characters like Lucas and Link can cancel there tethers into up-b so they can mix-up their recovery, so getting back on the stage via z-tethers isn't quite so braindead anymore.

Wouldn't mind if 50 frames gets lessened, but I don't really see it as that bad of a punishment window.

Last edited:

Strawhat Jiggs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Evolzar89
To be fair, yes it's 50 frames and you're highly punishable, but in most cases your probably going to be sent back on stage anyway, which is a lot more than what most characters can ask for.

Plus characters like Lucas and Link can cancel there tethers into up-b so they can mix-up their recovery, so getting back on the stage via z-tethers isn't quite so braindead anymore.

Wouldn't mind if 50 frames gets lessened, but I don't really see it as that bad of a punishment window.
Whats wrong with canceling into either lucas or link's up-b which both are very punishable.

D

Deleted member

"Z-tethers only work once per air time."

I feel like this is too extreme of a nerf from the current amount of 3. It removes the ability to do regrabs with Link with is essential to having a balanced matchup against good edge-guarding characters like Marth.

I'd like to have at least 2 mid-air grabs so I can do one regrab.

Last edited by a moderator:

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
I really hope they go with option one. Honestly, claw shot re grab ledge stalls are just swag points mostly. Not really needed.

I also hope that Ivysaur and Olimar get the same treatment as ZSS. Link, TLink, Samus, and Lucas don't need to be able to tether more then once because they have up B's that act as third jump. Ivy, Olimar, and ZSS don't. With there only recovery option being a tether I see why they would make there limits 2.

Though now that I think about it ZSS does have down B to gain distance. Not sure if she can still wall jump or not.

All that aside I wonder what they have in store for the fly guys and floaters like Mewtwo, Pit, Meta Knight, and Peach? Mario, too. I really don't see why but he gets a lot of complaints for some reason... :/

EDIT: Now that I think about it, kinda seems like people with GREAT tethers (Samus, Lucas, Ivy) ruined for people with decent....and trash tethers. (Link being decent, TLink being trash)

So yeah, THANKS FOR GETTING EVERYONE SO SALTY AND RUINING IT FOR THE REST OF US!

....messed up part is Samus has great recovery not even including a tether option. >.>

Last edited:

Zoma

Smash Journeyman
So, nearly a second of lag from a forced ledgehop? You might as well just remove tethers altogether. This is a bad idea.

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Ughh. Tink. I thought they wouldn't dare make your recovery worse. I thought wrong. :(

Top Bottom