• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Troubleshooting Guide 3.5

Eobo

Smash Rookie
I need assistance with getting my Project M to work.
1. I followed the guide.
2. I re downloaded it 4 times
3. i bought two 2 gb sd cards, niether work, one is Duracell and the other transcend
4. deleted everything from stage builder, even deleted the photos i have taken
5. reformatted the sd cards to FAT 32
6.both wii and brawl are ntsc, and disc is fine
At the moment all i get when i enter the stage builder is a the loading circle for like 30 sec than it takes me to my empty stage builder. i read a little about messing with the wii settings but they weren't to specific on how and what they did so i didnt do anything with my wii settings besides making sure its fully updated. playing project M was a huge factor me purchasing a wii so late in the game so any help or assistance is welcome and gratefully appreciated. And thank you all who took the time to read this

delphi116

Smash Rookie
Alright so I got the wii to 4.3 through my home brew. I updated the launcher to 1.11 but when I hit play it just sends me back to the wii menu. I'm currently redone loading project m. Do I have to use gecko os btw? Sorry if these are newb questions, I didn't hack the wii, just trying to make the best with what I have

Last edited:

dannooo28

Smash Rookie
When I go to stage builder it loads like regular Brawl too. It's really pissing me off as I've done everything on the image, a lot of them twice. Please help.

Eobo

Smash Rookie
so i read that i have to be disconnected from the internet but it still won't work when im disconnected from the internet, any thing else i can do??

Eobo

Smash Rookie
so i read that i have to be disconnected from the internet but it still won't work when im disconnected from the internet, any thing else i can do??
*Update*
I re downloaded Project M again but instead of the full set i downloaded the wifi safe to see if that made a difference. As it happens to be, the wifi wsafe download works and i have been playing a ton of project m now. My only concern is that i hope im not missing too much from not being able to access the full set, anyone know why the hackless wifi safe download works and not the Hackless wii ZIP Full set?
like always thank you all for reading this and providing thoughtful advice

JamesK

Smash Rookie
So I downloaded Project M on a 1 Gig SD card. I am able to load the game, but when I press play, the screen goes black and nothing happens. Help?

dannooo28

Smash Rookie
I got it to load now but when I press play it sends me back to the Wii menu. It doesn't work with me or one of my friends' Brawl, but it works on a different friends' Brawl.

MaxThunder

PM Support
So I downloaded Project M on a 1 Gig SD card. I am able to load the game, but when I press play, the screen goes black and nothing happens. Help?
does everything in the pic check out?..

I got it to load now but when I press play it sends me back to the Wii menu. It doesn't work with me or one of my friends' Brawl, but it works on a different friends' Brawl.
is this on the same wii?..

PokemasterTF

Smash Rookie
Hi! I try doing Super Smash Bros. Project M On my wii U. I download the files on the website, and then copy it into my 2GB FAT SD card that is empty before I put in the files. When almost done copying, it gives me this. (I am using a mac. If i should copy with windows instead let me know)
The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “common3.pac” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)
I go to my wii u, press the wii menu with TV only. Then i insert the SD card with the files. I play brawl, click on stage builder without any stages in it. I proceed to the launcher of version 3.5. When I click "Play" the start menu shows up. I wait two seconds and the game freezes and I have to unplug my Wii U to turn it off. Holding down power on the remote, gamepad, and console doesn't work.

This is the farthest i've gotten when attempting to play Project M. Thanks!

EDIT!!!! I found out it can't put in common3.pac, common4.pac, AND common5.pac because there actually isn't enough space in my sd card. Which is what it said, but I don't believe.

Last edited:

Phans

Smash Cadet
@ 9bit 9bit : You should distinguish between deleting all visible files on an SD card and reformatting said SD card. It can make a world of difference, but the OP makes it seem as if the processes are interchangeable.

PokemasterTF

Smash Rookie
I have a problem. My other problem was fixed, simply because i needed to clear the files that could be recovered using disk utility. But now I have a new problem. I have a FAT SD Card 2GB, with the files from "nohomebrew" inside the card. I then insert the card after being on the wii menu on my wii u console. I then launch brawl and then click on Stage Builder when i know there are no stages in the wii or the sd card. It then runs the codes. I make it to the launcher. The words on the top lag a little, and this is where i get suspicious. i click the play button and it literally just relaunches brawl without being able to play a stage or have the new characters included in project m. I NEED HELP!!!

_Rhino

Smash Rookie
I have downloaded both the hackless wifi and the normal and it still wont load it just takes me to the stage builder menu

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I have downloaded both the hackless wifi and the normal and it still wont load it just takes me to the stage builder menu
What region are you? PM is currently only compatible with NTSC-U Brawl (North America).

Is the SD card unlocked? (the slider switch on the left of the card should be pushed up)

Did you delete all existing custom stages (including the examples)?

Does the Wii recognise the SD card? (i.e. can you save replays, snapshots, etc. to it)

_Rhino

Smash Rookie
What region are you? PM is currently only compatible with NTSC-U Brawl (North America).

Is the SD card unlocked? (the slider switch on the left of the card should be pushed up)

Did you delete all existing custom stages (including the examples)?

Does the Wii recognise the SD card? (i.e. can you save replays, snapshots, etc. to it)
USA my card isn't locked and its and i have saved snapshots on it, and yes i did delete all the custom stages

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Try re-formatting the SD Card.
In File Explorer, right-click the card, and select "Format..."
Set file system to FAT32, and uncheck "quick format".
This will delete all files on the card, so back up any important files first.

_Rhino

Smash Rookie
Try re-formatting the SD Card.
In File Explorer, right-click the card, and select "Format..."
Set file system to FAT32, and uncheck "quick format".
This will delete all files on the card, so back up any important files first.
Still nothing:(

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
What size is the SD card? It needs to be 2 GB or less.
Check this in the card's properties in File Explorer, as the labels on some cards can be incorrect.

If it still doesn't work, do you have another SD Card you could try?

_Rhino

Smash Rookie
What size is the SD card? It needs to be 2 GB or less.
Check this in the card's properties in File Explorer, as the labels on some cards can be incorrect.

If it still doesn't work, do you have another SD Card you could try?
its a 2 gig and no i dnt have another card

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Okay... Just to make sure, you're putting the files in the right place on the SD card?
The SD card root should look like:

/codes/
/private/
/projectm/
boot.elf
gameconfig.txt

_Rhino

Smash Rookie
Okay... Just to make sure, you're putting the files in the right place on the SD card?
The SD card root should look like:

/codes/
/private/
/projectm/
boot.elf
gameconfig.txt
codes
private
projectm
boot.elf
gameconfig
Should i only transfer the files and not the folder?

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Well, everything checks out alright... The only other thing I can suggest right now is to try and get another SD card from somewhere, and see if that works.

Hullabaloo

Smash Rookie
recently for no reason, as far as i know, project m has stopped working. When i open the stage editor the game recognizes the sd card and all the proper code comes up, valid elf file and such. after that however, the static green and pink image that comes after the code lingers for about 15 seconds and then the screen goes black. the wii doesnt turn off however. when i remove the SD card the start menu for project m comes up, but playing the game sends me back to the wii main menu. this issue started with my old 3.5 copy, which i then replaced with a whole new copy of 3.5 and the issue persists. i can post a video if necessary, and thank you in advance for any help i get.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
recently for no reason, as far as i know, project m has stopped working. When i open the stage editor the game recognizes the sd card and all the proper code comes up, valid elf file and such. after that however, the static green and pink image that comes after the code lingers for about 15 seconds and then the screen goes black. the wii doesnt turn off however. when i remove the SD card the start menu for project m comes up, but playing the game sends me back to the wii main menu. this issue started with my old 3.5 copy, which i then replaced with a whole new copy of 3.5 and the issue persists. i can post a video if necessary, and thank you in advance for any help i get.
It sounds like the launcher isn't working for you. Try using Gecko OS:

• Install GeckoOS to your SD card (download link, copy the boot.elf from /Gecko1931/HBC/Gecko1931/ to your SD card root)
  • Load GeckoOS via the Stage Builder
  • Go to "Loader Config"
  • Change "Hooktype" to AXNextFrame
  • Save your settings
  • Return to GeckoOS main menu
  • Boot game

Genuine_Angus_B33F

Smash Rookie
Yay for issues.
New Card
Proper Update
No Custom Stages
Rewiped 2 gig SD card 3 times
Root is in proper order
Wii is disconnected from WiFi
Nothing happens when I go into the stage builder.
anything I may have missed?

Genuine_Angus_B33F

Smash Rookie
To be clear, even though I've had it work with both after testing, which of exFAT or MsDosFAT crashes less consistently? Just curious

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Every time i press start on the launcher it resets the Wii.
It sounds like the launcher isn't working for you. Try using Gecko OS:

• Install GeckoOS to your SD card (download link, copy the boot.elf from /Gecko1931/HBC/Gecko1931/ to your SD card root)
  • Load GeckoOS via the Stage Builder
  • Go to "Loader Config"
  • Change "Hooktype" to AXNextFrame
  • Save your settings
  • Return to GeckoOS main menu
  • Boot game

Drummer_14

Smash Rookie
Actually we did get it working...

But my sister stepped on the power chord on accident and it wont fire up a gain.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Just not jut.
Easy with the triple posts, those are against the forum rules... This is why the edit button exists. If you want to add to your previous posts, or fix spelling errors, edit them.

Have you tried reformatting the SD card, and reinstalling PM? Reformatting the card deletes everything on it, so make sure to backup anything important. You should also download PM again instead of copying the existing files back and forth, unless you've got any customisations.

Last edited:

Drummer_14

Smash Rookie
Easy with the triple posts, those are against the forum rules... This is why the edit button exists. If you want to add to your previous posts, or fix spelling errors, edit them.

Have you tried reformatting the SD card, and reinstalling PM? Reformatting the card deletes everything on it, so make sure to backup anything important. You should also download PM again instead of copying the existing files back and forth, unless you've got any customisations.
I have tried that and I did not know there was a edit button, sorry O' smash lord.

Top Bottom