• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Stage Discussion Thread

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Given the sheer number of posts in the clone engine thread about additional characters, many have begun to speculate stages that may also be added, tweaked or even expanded in future installments.

In addition, a place to discuss existing stages, possible improvements and issues is a good idea, that I was surprised didn't already exist in a general form.

So what changes or additions to stages do YOU want to see in future versions of PM?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Well until they can make a better Stage Expansion code that works with Random, they won`t be "adding" stages.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Well, even if stages aren't added, we could look into overwriting certain stages. For example: do we need both Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story as stages, or would people be willing to give up one, so that characters like Isaac if/when added has a home stage?

What stages do people think should be overwritten?

I think Ice Climbers deserve to KEEP their stage, but I'd vote for changing it as per some of the mods available for it that are out there already. (no movement, no fish, no random icicles)

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Well, even if stages aren't added, we could look into overwriting certain stages. For example: do we need both Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story as stages, or would people be willing to give up one, so that characters like Isaac if/when added has a home stage?

What stages do people think should be overwritten?

I think Ice Climbers deserve to KEEP their stage, but I'd vote for changing it as per some of the mods available for it that are out there already. (no movement, no fish, no random icicles)

I agree. I absolutely hate Summit.

Speaking of mods, this guy has a pretty good selection of stage replacements, IMO (including a better Summit): http://smashboards.com/threads/pwnz0rz-2-6b-custom-pack-3-0-edition-mostly-full-preview.340848/

Many of them keep the source series, but change the stage itself, which is ideal.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I know there's a popular demand for another FE stage or another clone character stage, but no one ever brings up the need for a Wario Land stage. Why not Rice Beach, the S.S. Teacup, Out of the Woods, or maybe Hall of Hieroglyphs? Heck, I'll even take one from Wario World.

@Ginge

One of the F-Zero stages can go if we absolutely have to get rid of one, and then either Brinstar or Frigate Orpheon.

I'd also get rid of WarioWare if a Wario Land stage replaces it.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I know there's a popular demand for another FE stage or another clone character stage, but no one ever brings up the need for a Wario Land stage. Why not Rice Beach, the S.S. Teacup, Out of the Woods, or maybe Hall of Hieroglyphs? Heck, I'll even take one from Wario World.

@Ginge

One of the F-Zero stages can go if we absolutely have to get rid of one, and then either Brinstar or Frigate Orpheon.

I'd also get rid of WarioWare if a Wario Land stage replaces it.
Ugh, Frigate Orpheon please. I hate that stage. It's better in Project M than in vBrawl, but it's always felt off to me.

I'd like to see that Golden Sun stage that was discussed in the other thread, the lighthouse one. Which works, since I'm pretty sure the Golden Sun final boss theme plays on Frigate Orpheon.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Can we also please do something with Shadow Moses Island? I'm all for Snake keeping his stage, but those walls....

Also, even if Donkey Kong gets a third/fourth character in Dixie and/or K. Rool, arguably we don't need three Donkey Kong stages. Would anyone be opposed to Jungle Japes being overwritten if another character/game needs a stage?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Can we also please do something with Shadow Moses Island? I'm all for Snake keeping his stage, but those walls....

Also, even if Donkey Kong gets a third/fourth character in Dixie and/or K. Rool, arguably we don't need three Donkey Kong stages. Would anyone be opposed to Jungle Japes being overwritten if another character/game needs a stage?
I'm not attached to it.

Bazkip

Smash Master
This.

And for reference for people who didn't see it in the Clone Character thread. Golden Sun stage idea:

Which one are you suggesting though, since that's Mercury and Venus lighthouse?
My recommendation would be Venus, since it's the last dungeon in the first game and also because Isaac is a Venus Adept.

I was also thinking Mt. Aleph might be neat, maybe if it was erupting or if it was set after all the beacons were lit.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Two stages I'd like to see the PMBR utilize are the Summit M stage (basically a non-stupid version of Summit with some impressive visuals and nice atmosphere.) and that new Flst Zone Kitchen stage. Because who likes regular flat zone?

I'm surprisedthey haven't used it or at least tweaked it and put it over Summit, because I've never met a single person that enjoyed Summit as it was. Sort of like Orpheon or Big Blue)

Ginge

Smash Ace
I was suggesting one of the light houses (could we do a random thing that choses between the lighthouses?). And was showing both a zoomed in and zoomed out view of one of the Lighthouses. The top picture doesn't really show what the sides of the stage would look like.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Which one are you suggesting though, since that's Mercury and Venus lighthouse?
My recommendation would be Venus, since it's the last dungeon in the first game and also because Isaac is a Venus Adept.

I was also thinking Mt. Aleph might be neat, maybe if it was erupting or if it was set after all the beacons were lit.
I'm partial to Mercury Lighthouse, actually, but maybe they can have Alternate Stage Loader load a random one of the lighthouses.
(Ninja'd by Ginge, on that one.)

Mt. Aleph would be awesome. What if they did like the Elemental Star Chamber where the Wise One first appears?

andalsoandy

Smash Lord

I like the stage, just hate those walls. Can't we just make a floating platform stage and set it in front of the old stage? This way, Snake has a home stage still and I can keep blasting my joyous tunes on there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8UXXEArw4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaRn1WCVIlY

I swear that music is the only reason I don't want to let go of Shadow Moses, but I'm all for fixing it up.

As for DK, I'd be fine if Jungle Japes went. I like Kongo Jungle 64 better in every way.

Bazkip

Smash Master
It'd be awesome if it had all four Lighthouses but that might be a lot of work, I think it's more realistic to just got with one of them.

I'm liking that Star Chamber idea though, that'd be a damn cool stage as well.

Shin F.

Smash Master
It'd be awesome if it had all four Lighthouses but that might be a lot of work, I think it's more realistic to just got with one of them.

I'm liking that Start Chamber idea though, that'd be a damn cool stage as well.
It wouldn't be much more work than making just one of them. It can mostly be done with just a couple of cosmetic changes, like different colors for the statues and beacons.

Ginge

Smash Ace
It wouldn't be much more work than making just one of them. It can mostly be done with just a couple of cosmetic changes, like different colors for the statues and beacons.
It could work like Spear Pillar in vBrawl. Where it could load up different themes / colors.

Bazkip

Smash Master
The differences between the aeries are a bit more than colour schemes though, I'd be worried they'd look too similar like that. I don't really know what goes into making a stage though, so maybe it would be possible to make them different enough without too much effort.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Is there an official stagelist for PM tournaments? I'd like to know which stages are considered legal (unless it's not consistent from one tournament to the next).

Also, that Golden Sun stage would be pretty cool.

Shin F.

Smash Master
The differences between the aeries are a bit more than colour schemes though, I'd be worried they'd look too similar like that. I don't really know what goes into making a stage though, so maybe it would be possible without too much effort.
The whole point is to keep them mostly the same, though, since they would load from the same slot if they use ASL. If they didn't use ASL, we shouldn't have more than one of them anyways. They don't have to look exactly like they did in the game. We have creative license here. I guarantee you won't find a Mario game with Mushroomy Kingdom as dead as it is in Brawl.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Is there an official stagelist for PM tournaments? I'd like to know which stages are considered legal (unless it's not consistent from one tournament to the next).

Also, that Golden Sun stage would be pretty cool.
My understanding is that on the first page of stages in 3.0, the top row is banned (I'm not sure why. (Too big?) the middle row is counter pick and the bottom row with BF, FD and FoD etc. is neutral/starter.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I like the new Green Hill Zone a lot more than vBrawl's version. But shouldn't a Sonic stage, I dunno, be good for Sonic? Maybe just widen the stage a bit more so Sonic can get his sprint on.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Here are a few stages I'd like brought back:

N64 Peach's Castle
Great Bay

I'd also love seeing a balanced / tourney legal:

Summit (I know about the one on Brawl Vault, I just want to see PMBR's personal spin on it)
F-Zero stage
Game & Watch stage
Shadow Moses Island
Zelda stage (unless people consider Skyloft balanced, idk)
EarthBound/Mother stage (this especially!)

Lastly it'd be nice if there was a stage now for R.O.B. since SSE Jungle was reskinned to be Distant Planet again. Another Subspace stage maybe?

I'm very aware that the stage expansion code won't really work for Project M since the random stage feature doesn't work, so I know adding the above stages is wishful thinking~

EDIT: Oh yeah, now that others brought it up I'd love a Wario Land stage. All I ask for is just WarioWare, Inc. reskinned as one, that stage is fun I don't want it to go.

Bazkip

Smash Master
I suppose you're right. I'd just like to see a bit more difference than just colour schemes.

Anywho, we're kinda hogging up all the discussion with Golden Sun, so let's see about some other idea. I think a Paper Mario stage might be neat.

Ginge

Smash Ace
OH. Almost forgot. Another discussion from the other thread:

Castle Siege could deal with cutting out the transformation sequence and having them be two separate stages. You randomly get put into one like the Mario stage with 1-1 and 1-2, or you can start at a specific one by holding down L / R / something when you select the stage.

And I believe a Bowser's Castle stage would be well received. As also discussed in the other thread.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I hate Summit M. So much. My ideal Summit would be to take out the ice chunk, the icicle, make the two platforms at the top on either side of the ice chunk one big platform to make up for the loss of ice chunk, and make the cloud go from side to side instead of straight across and to the blast zone. Maybe take out that one platform that drops, and if kept, make it not do that.
Personally I prefer Jungle Japes to Kongo Jungle, but I still like Kongo Jungle too. Lets keep all the DK stages pls. I love them all.
Get rid of Big Blue. Port Town is a lot less frustrating.
I miss Mario Kart but I'm glad we have Peach Castle now so its eh. Rainbow Cruise needs to die. Its almost as bad as Icicle mountain. Maybe then we can get Mario Kart back :'(
I think we could do without Pictochat but I don't hate it so w/e.
I'm still for Dracula's Castle becoming Luigi's Mansion or Bowser's Castle. Keep the layout though, I dig it.
Someone give New Pork the Skyloft treatment, pretty please.

There ya go. There's ma thoughts.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I hate Summit M. So much. My ideal Summit would be to take out the ice chunk, the icicle, make the two platforms at the top on either side of the ice chunk one big platform to make up for the loss of ice chunk, and make the cloud go from side to side instead of straight across and to the blast zone. Maybe take out that one platform that drops, and if kept, make it not do that.
Personally I prefer Jungle Japes to Kongo Jungle, but I still like Kongo Jungle too. Lets keep all the DK stages pls. I love them all.
Get rid of Big Blue. Port Town is a lot less frustrating.
I miss Mario Kart but I'm glad we have Peach Castle now so its eh. Rainbow Cruise needs to die. Its almost as bad as Icicle mountain. Maybe then we can get Mario Kart back :'(
I think we could do without Pictochat but I don't hate it so w/e.
I'm still for Dracula's Castle becoming Luigi's Mansion or Bowser's Castle. Keep the layout though, I dig it.
Someone give New Pork the Skyloft treatment, pretty please.

There ya go. There's ma thoughts.
If they change New Pork, there's this really well-designed stage based on the Final Needle. It's pretty awesome. Kitty Corp is down right now, but I'll post a link to it when I can.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Given the sheer number of posts in the clone engine thread about additional characters, many have begun to speculate stages that may also be added, tweaked or even expanded in future installments.

In addition, a place to discuss existing stages, possible improvements and issues is a good idea, that I was surprised didn't already exist in a general form.

So what changes or additions to stages do YOU want to see in future versions of PM?
I want some more fun stages.

All the tourney ready stages get bland after so long...

Temple is still a fan favorite since the people I play with don't go camping off in a corner.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I can agree that vBrawl Spear Pillar and 75m are just plain obnoxious messes maps but I'd be really happy if the team fixes those two stages as their aesthetics are really nice.

All the Pokemon stages currently just seem... like generic city locales and I appreciated Spear Pillar for the change of atmosphere - ancient ruins with a legendary watching your every move. It's one of my favorite Smash stages aesthetically next to the Fountain of Dreams. Oh man, if someone could replace Cressilia with an animated Giratina, that'd be awesome.

75m - vBrawl's version is a mess but I enjoy the classic old school Donkey Kong visuals; it's a nice nostalgic reminder of early Nintendo.

If not, I have 1337m and a more balanced Spear Pillar for my builds.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Yeah, there are a few stages I'd really love!

Samus's N64 Stage - I don't actually remember what this was called, but I think it's the most fun iteration of the "acid comes up and burns you" gameplay that smash has ever had. I dunno, brinstar and norfair never really did it for me. Especially now that we've got Norfair as a standard platform set-up, I think it'd be nice to consider bringing back this level.

Something about how big the level was, combined with the way the platforms were set up, just made it so dang fun. This level always felt oddly cozy, because the lava could just bounce you up and save you. So it was kind of...relaxing, somehow? >_>

Great Fox from N64 - This was also just an amazing level. It was soooo big, but not in the way New Pork City was big, where it got annoying. This level always felt so fun with 4 players. I'd be 100% fine with them just replacing the Melee version of this level with its N64 version.

Bowser's Castle - I dunno what form it'd take on exactly, but doesn't Bowser deserve a stage? ; ) Have some thwomps thwomping, some lava on the floor, and if you can get the main platform to be tilty, then that's amazing.

I want some more fun stages.

All the tourney ready stages get bland after so long...

Temple is still a fan favorite since the people I play with don't go camping off in a corner.

This is how I feel, too, haha. I think right now there's an amazing distribution of fair, balanced stages, so I definitely don't want to take it too far in that direction. I think the PMBR has an appreciation for levels that are exciting and fun without being ridiculous. Like, they took out 75 m, but left in Pirate Ship. That kind of shows the kind of levels they do/don't like, I guess. (Also Pirate Ship is one of my all-time favorite levels across all the Smash games, so I'm really glad it's still in.)

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Saturn Valley is all the game needs to be complete. An iconic location shared between both MOTHER reps would be fantastic.
Just hope the pmbr get a decent working expansion thrown out eventually with good stages.

Top Bottom