• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Who placed top 5 and what characters did they use? There's no info on the tournament thread =/.

EDIT: Congratulations on winning, Eli. I'll be sure to watch the videos when they come out.

EDIT2:
bah... hey metroid, i noticed you live in buffalo grove. i just got 2 seat belt tickets in 1 week there! i live in arlington heights. lemme power level off you sometime.
Hey, I've seen you around AiB before! I'm in California until August 18th, but I'd be down for playing sometime when I get back.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So...Dk is kind of insane >_> lol. Especially his down b.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's not like his down B has ******** range and combos into every single one of his moves at any % >_>.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Oh look, a Brawl backroomer wants slow falling and better recoveries.
Let's pretend to be surprised

But enough jokes. He needs set knockback on the tippers. It would make for good comboing.
You gotta admit, Roy's recovery was pretty balls lol. I don't want everyone to be MK or old Wario recovery wise, but cmon it's pitiful. Knockback or more hitstun on tippers or something to make his sword look like it hits harder than a limp noodle.

Roy should probably fall faster and have more initial dash speed to better emphasise his "faster, weaker Marth" status. Safer Fair and Nair on block (Lower hitlag?) would be good tools to create a character that gets easy lead-ins, but less rewards compared to Marth's slow, punishment-heavy style, or Ike's slow, slow slow slow slow slow
Fall faster? Nooooo. Yes on moving faster though big yes that's a good idea.

It's not like his down B has ******** range and combos into every single one of his moves at any % >_>.
Does it not scale with knockback/poorly? I gotta try it cause I don't think I used it much when I was playing him, too focused on Upward combos into punch lol. He's SO fun if you grab someone, more fun than boring chain grabs.

Oh yeah DK stuff: his JC Dash Grab seems REALLY good. Like idk the hitbox size but it seems really quick and a strong punish vs a lot of the cast if it leads into Cargo Uthrow/Uair string or Punch. I don't remember it being crazy in Melee (although didn't play him much there) but he seems like something key is off. Slides too far, grab hitbox a bit big, somethin. Idk that was the main thing I noticed with him, along with Cargo Uthrow into whatever being the same glorious Melee style.

leelue

Smash Lord
Eli was first, mainly snake and ike through the harder stretch. I was sonic, almost 100% of the time and got second. Chillin went mainly wolf and got third.

Uh... I also beat plank in losers semis, so I guess he's 4/5th. I don't know who his counterpart was.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Does it not scale with knockback/poorly? I gotta try it cause I don't think I used it much when I was playing him, too focused on Upward combos into punch lol. He's SO fun if you grab someone, more fun than boring chain grabs.
I think he's awesome as is, I just think his down b is a little op lol.

I mean, I was playing earlier and my friend used down b when I was sitting right in front of him and I shielded it. I then took my finger off the should button to let down my shield, and instead his down b kept me in my shield because of the hitlag and broke it >_>. Many laughs and wtfs were had.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Eli was first, mainly snake and ike through the harder stretch. I was sonic, almost 100% of the time and got second. Chillin went mainly wolf and got third.

Uh... I also beat plank in losers semis, so I guess he's 4/5th. I don't know who his counterpart was.
If you beat Plank in Loser Semis, then that means he got 4th; the people he and you beat in the previous round tied for 5th.

Great stuff guys, I'm genuinely impressed that you guys took out Melee vets Chilin and Plank. When will the videos be uploaded?

9Kplus1

Smash Master
"Troll" better represents Hate Bad's cmart impression. Anyway, I'm 100% certain now that Sonic has amazing potential (was only 60% sure), bar a few tweaks that need to be made here and there. Any thoughts?

:phone:

leelue

Smash Lord
9k I'm 100% sure that sonic loses when people stop fighting him as though he is a regular character.

I have thoughts on sonic but honestly, I'd rather just have a real say in his development. Like I've been trying to acheive for 14 months now.

Revven

FrankerZ
Maybe if you're a space animal or fast-faller (at least in my experience that's generally who the move works on best).

Besides, it's not like it's a frame 1 move, can be jump canceled, reflects projectiles, can be used to edgeguard with, and can be used in the air. It's a ground only move, it's pretty avoidable tbh. Don't sit there and let DK do what he does best on the ground :V.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
JCz's crew, "The Imperial Legion" ("Legion" for short) is located in MD/VA. Our hidden base (JCz's / cmart's apartment) is where notable Smashers come together -- Smashers such as the legendary 9kplus1 himself -- and do stuff. If you can find a reliable method of getting here and back from RI, there's a pretty good chance that housing will be available.
Well I've got a car lol, but I lack the funding to make such a trip with my school tuition right now, maybe next summer when I'm all done with school

I'll help change this too, although there isn't much of a PM scene yet in my area, I'm getting some players interested in South Texas.
Nice

There's a Melee tournament at Game Underground on August 4th... No word about P:M there, and I don't even know if I'm going so idk about friendlies, but it's a start I guess if you want to get something going.
Well if you're going I'll probably go so we have 2 setups, it would be sick if we could get an actual P:M tournament going on there

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I was just about to say DK's down B is dumb, but apparently that's what this conversation is about already.

Well **** all y'all I'll say it anyway

DK's down B is dumb. It isn't so much dumb on its own, but it's really stupid good to have a move that completely stops any ground approaches, hits like halfway across battlefield, combos into any thing at any percent that matters, and hits opponents standing below you if you're on a platform.

Keep it in please.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Okay, I know it is a little early for tier list speculation, but I want to know what peoples opinions on Sonic are. My crew likes to use the excuse that Sonic is "High tier" when they lose.

I've always read that he isn't too great. So opinions on how good Sonic is would be appreciated.

:phone:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I don't like playing as Sonic, and I've never played against him.

However, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Leelue is absolutely terrible at this game, and the only reason he didn't place last is that Sonic is super mega ultra broken. He's better than Fox, Zelda, Ike, and Lucario all rolled into one. Like sushi.

metroid1117

Smash Master
With regards to Sonic, I have only played two sets against them and neither were in tournament, so I have nothing to add here. Not to take away from Sethlon or Leelue's skill or anything, but I feel like Sonic's successes are partially attributed to how players just don't know what Sonic can do and how to deal with it.

I really hope this doesn't take away too much attention from PMS, but Jiang, Ish, and I played with the developer's build on Friday night and the matches are now up.

This is the playlist of the entire event, but below are the videos sorted by character. Keep in mind that we were tired and just messing around with random characters (ex. Jiang's Ness/DK, Ish's Bowser, and my Snake).

Jiang (Bowser) vs metroid (Chariard) 1-5
Jiang (Snake) vs metroid (Wolf) 1-3
Jiang (Snake) vs Ish (Lucas) 1-4
Jiang (Ness) vs metroid (Wolf)
Jiang (DK) vs Ish (Lucas) 1-3
metroid (Charizard) vs Ish (Lucas) 1-5
metroid (Wolf) vs Ish (Lucas) 1-3
metroid (Falco) vs Ish (Lucas) <- Scarjumping, anyone? IMO this match has some cool moments in it.
metroid (Wolf) vs Ish (Bowser)
metroid (Snake) vs Ish (Lucas) 1-3

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
If you played the developer's build, where's all the Kirby footage? And where's the Nana soul stare? It's like you missed the most important part.

metroid1117

Smash Master
If you played the developer's build, where's all the Kirby footage? And where's the Nana soul stare? It's like you missed the most important part.
We played the developer's build, but the character select screen as Demo 2.1. But dang it, I wish Jiang showed us the Nana soul stare.

Just as a note, the character who I feel is most the different in the developer's build is Charizard.

leelue

Smash Lord
I don't like playing as Sonic, and I've never played against him.

However, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Leelue is absolutely terrible at this game, and the only reason he didn't place last is that Sonic is super mega ultra broken. He's better than Fox, Zelda, Ike, and Lucario all rolled into one. Like sushi.

Funny, because I played ganon too
That's how I knocked out cmart, and either vist or plank
I know that Haters gonna hate
But damn

Edit: realized he may be trolling

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Maybe if you're a space animal or fast-faller (at least in my experience that's generally who the move works on best).

Besides, it's not like it's a frame 1 move, can be jump canceled, reflects projectiles, can be used to edgeguard with, and can be used in the air. It's a ground only move, it's pretty avoidable tbh. Don't sit there and let DK do what he does best on the ground :V.
No, it combos pretty much every character at any %. I don't know why you would compare it to shine, I never said it was the best move in the game I just think it's a little silly with dk's moveset. Dk lives to very high %'s and kills at very low %s, he's not nearly as easy to gimp/juggle as spacies are. Him having that move with how is is means he can afford to miss it quite a few times compared to a spacie missing a shine.

I mean I don't think links grab is broken, but I think it needs to be fixed because it grabs really far behind him and people above it that it doesn't look like it should grab period. Dk's downb comes out about as fast as snakes utilt in brawl, and has more range and combos -.- it completely snuffs any ground approach. You get hit with it once and you die at around 60% from dk's B, dsmash, uair strings, ect.

All that needs to happen is to apply better scaling to the move or to keep the scaling and reduce the range.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Funny, because I played ganon too
That's how I knocked out cmart, and either vist or plank
I know that Haters gonna hate
But damn

Edit: realized he may be trolling
Ganon's broken too, then.

To be serious, I haven't really payed much attention to Sonic, other than knowing that you play him. Once the videos for the tournament go up, I'm going to be very interested in them.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
No, that's Brawl-

Speaking of Kirby, what's the current status on the missing characters? Who's being worked on most right now? How many are done and waiting for Demo 2.2/Demo 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom