• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again

CORY CORY

basically he talks about what we already knew, buttons are more efficient and ergonomic than holding a gamecube controller and then he gives a little insight into how the tilt modifiers work

the biggest issue with picking up the controller is probably the ability to figure out how to move all that muscle memory and "game intuition" from a thumbstick to a bunch of buttons

also it looks like you'll run into "the piano problem" a little more than a normal hitbox but with enough practice that might/should fade

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
It'

CORY CORY

basically he talks about what we already knew, buttons are more efficient and ergonomic than holding a gamecube controller and then he gives a little insight into how the tilt modifiers work

the biggest issue with picking up the controller is probably the ability to figure out how to move all that muscle memory and "game intuition" from a thumbstick to a bunch of buttons

also it looks like you'll run into "the piano problem" a little more than a normal hitbox but with enough practice that might/should fade
It's still less efficient than just attaching an arcade joystick with full analog capability. You have to hit a bunch of extra buttons to do a tilt, then more to angle the tilt, or if you want precise wd control, whatever. It's just straight up easier to do that stuff with one stick, instead of 8 buttons.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
It'

It's still less efficient than just attaching an arcade joystick with full analog capability. You have to hit a bunch of extra buttons to do a tilt, then more to angle the tilt, or if you want precise wd control, whatever. It's just straight up easier to do that stuff with one stick, instead of 8 buttons.
I disagree, DDing is crazy hard with a stick. You will always be faster and put less strain on your hand with your controller. When you remap your hotkeys in an RTS, you don't slowly transition a few keys at a time. You switch to the most efficient & ergonomic scheme, learning it all at once. The only thing that is harder is angling recovery & spacies f-tilt, all normal tilts are simpiler (and more importantly pivoting is way ezier). This is so obvious if you are a Marth main, and probably worth picking up if you don't have but want to start working on spacies.

This reminds me that I want to learn emacs.

Watching Lucha underground, what now guys. DAMN THAT SELL
lol, they are literally running at each other and tripping on their opponent. Maybe the first time. The second tho?
WATCH OUT HE HAS A CROWBAR
HE JUST HL3 CONFIRMED THIS MAN
ok this is some fetish **** now. you gonna get acne if you let her lick your face. Is he accusing the polygon of aderall abuse? O ****, he knows u aint boys, waddup. I feel like I just watched the beginning of a Phoenix Wrightvchapter. WTF is Class of Nuke 'Em High at midnight. Is it related to Duke Nuke'em? Is El Rey for real?

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I disagree, DDing is crazy hard with a stick.
A GC stick or with an arcade joystick? I can't really see it being incredibly difficult to move your hand back and forth in the proper speed and timing, along with not having to hit an extra three buttons so you can tilt, angle a wavedash or not fast fall from dropping ledge or something.

Not to mention proper drift control as you're in the air.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Here I am wanting to explore this old city and hunt some beasties and this mofo gets in a hissy fits and starts shooting at me from a roof with a gatling gun. What a ****ing coward. When I get to him imma parry the ******* so hard.

**** this game lmao.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Here I am wanting to explore this old city and hunt some beasties and this mofo gets in a hissy fits and starts shooting at me from a roof with a gatling gun. What a ****ing coward. When I get to him imma parry the ******* so hard.

**** this game lmao.
dont run up to him and immediately hack away at him or you're gonna have a bad time

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Because the Gamecube controller doesn't have 2 Z buttons. That will always be the thing that bothers me when I play PC games with my GC controller. Oh and when the D pad is used for something other than menus/camera angles/etc.

Nintendo really needs to release a Gamcube 2 soon.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
a foot and a half long box with literally twenty buttons is not exactly my idea of either of those things
It is in terms of minimal hand movement, and equally distributing input load between all your hands. Playing smash on a GC controller is like trying to play a piano with 2 fingers. Just wait until someone uses this to pull of consistent pivot tech with Marth. RIP jigs.

edit.
Also worth it for bidou. I mean if you are already changing your controls.
Things in PM that are way easier: B-reverse, turnaround, and wavebouncing, influincing your jump b/c you can more easily do minimal input for atttacks, wavedashing, acting out of CC, uptilt OOS, shield drops, Personally I think that Falco's low and high f-tilt will be easier (no accidental jumps or d-tilt was rare anyway), crawling d-tilt,

I'm going to adapt this to keyboard and practice it to I can describe the benefit in more detail, and from first hand experience, and describe which things get harder.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
It is in terms of minimal hand movement, and equally distributing input load between all your hands. Playing smash on a GC controller is like trying to play a piano with 2 fingers. Just wait until someone uses this to pull of consistent pivot tech with Marth. RIP jigs.
>implying melee's scene will ever accept anything other than french vanilla gcc.

edited: they can't stop the new wave of gcc's from smash4, so i adjusted that a bit.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
>implying melee's scene will ever accept anything other than pure vanilla gcc.
It will happen at a local. Then steam monsters will cry. /initiate drama
edit.
Working from home is the ****. Why would I drive to a University when all of my project is computer based, commuting takes 2+ hrs out of the day, and my research mentor is in France.
Even if I needed to use their server to run something I could probably work it out where they would let me access it off campus (ok maybe not, but I haven't run a program that big since the 1st week of this project). I was way more productive, way less stressed, and I can snack and the temperature is nice.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Trying to fix my laptop keyboard problem so I try to get into the BIOS
F8 and the del key do nothing on startup and I don' actually get a BIOS boot splash
a quick google search revealed you need to hold F2 before booting the laptop

Problem: My F2 key doesn't work

Effffffffffffffffffff

Why did I buy an ASUS

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
Playing smash on a GC controller is like trying to play a piano with 2 fingers.
it's really not that bad - even the people where playing fox supposedly destroyed their hands, the problem is likely more to do with their grip than the fact that they're pushing buttons quickly

this whole shebang about the gamecube controller suddenly not being "efficient" or whatever sounds like when people were suddenly especially concerned about "input lag" - a whole lotta johns based on a whole lotta nothing

Lizalfos

Smash Master
it's really not that bad - even the people where playing fox supposedly destroyed their hands, the problem is likely more to do with their grip than the fact that they're pushing buttons quickly

this whole shebang about the gamecube controller suddenly not being "efficient" or whatever sounds like when people were suddenly especially concerned about "input lag" - a whole lotta johns based on a whole lotta nothing
Look. DDing is hard and tiring regardless of grip. Tech isn't the most important thing in Smash, but if I spent a lot of time on this game, had the money, and decided I would like to start from scratch from a tech perspective ( which would probably help me get rid of my bad habits). To me it is obvious that moving your thumb repeatedly side to side, when it is primarily meant to move forward and back to grip things, is very tiring. You would be better off alternating buttons with independent fingers.

If someone says they can't win because they have bad tech with X controller it's a John. If someone say this controller affords me advantages in competition, or my inputs 1/60 sec faster, THAT IS A MEASURABLE QUANTIFIABLE REAL ADVANTAGE.

TRY RACING A BIKE FROM WALMART WITH A STEEL FRAME AND NO GEARS AGAINST CARBON ROAD BIKES. TELL ME THAT YOUR BIKE ISN'T A FACTOR IN YOUR ABILITY TO COMPETE.
A John is an excuse for losing out of your control. Reflecting on improvements you can make in your play or ability to execute, be it adopting claw grip or whatever isn't a john. You are't making an excuse for previous losses, you are taking steps to avoid losing in the future, and Identifying what is going wrong is the first step You are right, a control scheme won't make you good, but you can't say that makes it worthless. Bleck, why are you of all people fighting this? This is the logical conclusion to modding controllers.

This would be an amazing christmas present for kids.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tion_coming_this_november_ships_with_30_games
You can use the controller for Wii VC games! Please make snes controllers too!

The Amazing Life of Pets or whatever is probably the worst movie I have or will watch this year, that came out this year. (I think I've only seen 5 tho? Was Deadpool this or last year.) Verified, no movie I watched in theaters from Deadpool onward was so fundamentally flawed. I guess in a post minions world, this is what this studio wants: marketable, merchandise-able, contrived garbage.

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Look. DDing is hard and tiring regardless of grip. Tech isn't the most important thing in Smash, but if I spent a lot of time on this game, had the money, and decided I would like to start from scratch from a tech perspective ( which would probably help me get rid of my bad habits). To me it is obvious that moving your thumb repeatedly side to side, when it is primarily meant to move forward and back to grip things, you would be better off alternating buttons with independent fingers.

If someone says they can't win because they have bad tech with X controller it's a John. If someone say this controller affords me advantages in competition, or my inputs 1/60 sec faster, THAT IS A MEASURABLE QUANTIFIABLE REAL ADVANTAGE.

TRY RACING A BIKE FROM WALMART WITH A STEEL FRAME AND NO GEARS AGAINST CARBON ROAD BIKES. TELL ME THAT YOUR BIKE ISN'T A FACTOR IN YOUR ABILITY TO COMPETE.

This would be an amazing christmas present for kids.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tion_coming_this_november_ships_with_30_games
You can use the controller for Wii VC games! Please make snes controllers too!
If I had kids, I'd just build them a MAME cabinet with some CPS2 stuff on it. I will mold them into the best SFA3 players on the planet, tho by then they just might be the only SFA3 players on the planet.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Pretty sure you'd get hand problems a lot faster from DDing on the smashbox than on the gcc. Just try it, instant carpal tunnel. Our thumb moves just fine left to right, that's exactly what separates us from other mammals lmfao

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Pretty sure you'd get hand problems a lot faster from DDing on the smashbox than on the gcc. Just try it, instant carpal tunnel. Our thumb moves just fine left to right, that's exactly what separates us from other mammals lmfao
Well apparently I'm a monkey because my thumb doesn't like that. I see what you are saying about carpal tunnel. Def easier tho.
Give me the weekend to get Dolphin, and try to best translate this for keyboard. Then I can give you a more complete subjective opinion for you to disagree with.

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Thanks I love chronically disagreeing with people, it makes me feel better about my perspective on life in general

Unrelated, I found a logitech wireless keyboard still in the box lying around so it felt my keyboard issues were over
Oh but no

For some strange reason, the left shift key does not allow me to capitalize f, u or g(Or make a plus sign as I found out writing this post) but the right shift key works fine.
Also, I can input any of the shift number keys(Like #, %, * etc on the top row)... except for the exclamation and question marks, which is a remarkably odd coincidence if it is one. Shift + 1 and shift + 6 produce nothing at all.
It's like I'm being haunted by ****ty keyboards. On top of that, some keys are super sticky and hard to press, and the h key just stops working randomly for minutes at a time.

I feel this is how life tells me to just give up on writing

Bleck

Smash Master
Look. DDing is hard and tiring regardless of grip.
if you're DDing enough that it's causing your thumb to tire, you're DDing too much

If someone say this controller affords me advantages in competition, or my inputs 1/60 sec faster, THAT IS A MEASURABLE QUANTIFIABLE REAL ADVANTAGE.
something being measurable does not necessarily mean it is applicable

if I played Melee against Mango and he had a 1/60th of a second delay on his controller, I'm pretty sure he would still beat me

A John is an excuse for losing out of your control. Reflecting on improvements you can make in your play or ability to execute, be it adopting claw grip or whatever isn't a john. You are't making an excuse for previous losses, you are taking steps to avoid losing in the future, and Identifying what is going wrong is the first step You are right, a control scheme won't make you good, but you can't say that makes it worthless. Bleck, why are you of all people fighting this? This is the logical conclusion to modding controllers.
the problem with your argument is that the premise is that the melee fightstick or whatever they're calling it is objectively better, and your supporting evidence is that it's better

this comparison is irrelevant, because you haven't really demonstrated that the fightstick is objectively superior in any reasonable capacity

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
it's been 1 year since i started pm highlights with team 9
chekkit dorks

someone tell grey ill destroy him in brawl/smash 4

Lizalfos

Smash Master
if you're DDing enough that it's causing your thumb to tire, you're DDing too much

something being measurable does not necessarily mean it is applicable

if I played Melee against Mango and he had a 1/60th of a second delay on his controller, I'm pretty sure he would still beat me

the problem with your argument is that the premise is that the melee fightstick or whatever they're calling it is objectively better, and your supporting evidence is that it's better

this comparison is irrelevant, because you haven't really demonstrated that the fightstick is objectively superior in any reasonable capacity
fair

Top Bottom