• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Already pre-ordered
It looks so funnnnnn

I'm asking because I got an extra code for the upcoming beta on May 5-9 and I wanted to give it to someone here (if anyone's interested).

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
It looks so funnnnnn

I'm asking because I got an extra code for the upcoming beta on May 5-9 and I wanted to give it to someone here (if anyone's interested).
Aw man would I be game. I played TF2 competitively for a little while before I got into Melee, so I'm almost definitely gonna get Overwatch.

Honestly though that code probably shouldn't go to me. I'll be buying probably near release anyway, and I don't have a huge amount of time for Overwatch because of school and just... other games existing.

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
I'll be getting a new computer mostly for playing Overwatch lol. This toaster could never handle it

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Aw man would I be game. I played TF2 competitively for a little while before I got into Melee, so I'm almost definitely gonna get Overwatch.

Honestly though that code probably shouldn't go to me. I'll be buying probably near release anyway, and I don't have a huge amount of time for Overwatch because of school and just... other games existing.
Fug, well um, if someone doesn't ask for it in the next hour I'll send it your way anyway!

And yo, weren't you working on a G&W guide at one point? Any chance that'll see the light of day?

NWRL

Smash Ace
Boutta catch up on the past two weeks episodes of JoJo's

Other thoughts:

#freeleffen is the absolute most pathetic thing I've seem the Smash community do.

They are petitioning the government (and if they get the 100k sigs the govt has to respond, which takes away from actual issues like the mass amount of voter fraud this election) to consider Melee a sport so Leffen can come play a video game.

I'm all for taking action for things that you feel need to be done but I think there's a line that has to be drawn somewhere.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Infract yourself.

That reminds me that Taco Bell was doing a Overwatch promotion. I had no idea that taco bells are so nice. Honestly one of the nicest fast food chains.

But all the mtn. dew and doritos stuff makes me writhe in pain over my bourgeoisie existence.

The promotion is that you can win dumb razer headphones and the Overwatch beta.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Other thoughts:

#freeleffen is the absolute most pathetic thing I've seem the Smash community do.

They are petitioning the government (and if they get the 100k sigs the govt has to respond, which takes away from actual issues like the mass amount of voter fraud this election) to consider Melee a sport so Leffen can come play a video game.

I'm all for taking action for things that you feel need to be done but I think there's a line that has to be drawn somewhere.
While I don't care for #FreeLeffen myself, I don't think it'd actually take much away from other issues. Humans do have the ability to tackle multiple things at the same time and I don't think this would take too much effort.

Lizalfos

Smash Master

Other thoughts:

This is a completely legitimate issue to bring to people's attention, and it has already happened for bigger esports like leauge.

Also what voter fraud? Actually, with primaries isn't that a state by state thing anyway?
Edit: primaries are totally handled by their respective parties. The parties could just nominate candidates if they so choose correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Fug, well um, if someone doesn't ask for it in the next hour I'll send it your way anyway!

And yo, weren't you working on a G&W guide at one point? Any chance that'll see the light of day?
Thanks a lot! Hopefully I'll have time to really check it out tomorrow/Sunday!

I was, I still have ~4k of text for it, but I never ended up finishing it. I think I stopped working on the character as much and the guide slipped my mind around the time development stopped, and I haven't come back to it. I can probably still answer a good amount of theory-related questions, and I could give you that first half of the guide and give you some relevant links - guide including mostly breakdowns of aerials and normals - but it's not super likely that I finish that guide, I think.

Bleck

Smash Master
maybe the universe wouldn't see fit to spit on leffen were he not such a ****heel

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Big Short is a GlossingOverDodd-Frank/10: I highly recommend (especially if you are a Bernie supporter [but I know that they all have already watched it]).

Hillary 2016.

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Guys, I'm building my first gaming PC with a very cavalier understanding of what I need.
I'm going for something that can play a good portion of the current triple A lineup at high-to-max settings at 60 fps.
(This is mostly so I can hop onto the PC Gaming/Street Fighter V/General Fighters/Moar PC ports hype train.)

Anyway, do you guys have your own builds, and if so, what are they/what are your recommendation for a novice build?

Edit: Also sorry I've been missing for a while. I've been trying to put in more work at college.

MechWarriorNY MechWarriorNY

Thanks Mech, but I've been browsing PCPP like nuts. I'm more or less here to get recommendations for the build I'm working on in the site already. Thanks for the quick pointer in the right direction tho.

Yeah man, I'm probably going to be a nerd and go with windows 10 64 bit so I have access to updates on it. That OS has got progressively less ****ty.

Also, I'm debating on going with a GTX 970 or something from Radeon. Either way a 25 buck cooler should handle them (I don't plan on overclocking anything until I decide to upgrade the MotherBoard and the GPU for next gen. Even then I'd probably have some good time before that would become advantageous)

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Raccoon Chuck Raccoon Chuck http://pcpartpicker.com/ Go nuts.
Bear in mind that many recent games require a 64-bit operating system at the very least. I have a very nice desktop with good hardware and can't play SFV because I have a 32-bit version of Windows 7. Don't be like me; stay modern.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Guys, I'm building my first gaming PC with a very cavalier understanding of what I need.
I'm going for something that can play a good portion of the current triple A lineup at high-to-max settings at 60 fps.
(This is mostly so I can hop onto the PC Gaming/Street Fighter V/General Fighters/Moar PC ports hype train.)

Anyway, do you guys have your own builds, and if so, what are they/what are your recommendation for a novice build?

Edit: Also sorry I've been missing for a while. I've been trying to put in more work at college.

Thanks Mech, but I've been browsing PCPP like nuts. I'm more or less here to get recommendations for the build I'm working on in the site already. Thanks for the quick pointer in the right direction tho.

Yeah man, I'm probably going to be a nerd and go with windows 10 64 bit so I have access to updates on it. That OS has got progressively less ****ty.

Also, I'm debating on going with a GTX 970 or something from Radeon. Either way a 25 buck cooler should handle them (I don't plan on overclocking anything until I decide to upgrade the MotherBoard and the GPU for next gen. Even then I'd probably have some good time before that would become advantageous)
Yeah use PC part picker. Not much I can do to help unless you've got a budget. You don't need/want a third party cooler for your GPU. Your third party cooler should be going on your CPU. I recommend Hyper Evo 212 from Cooler Master. Never use the stock cooler, they suck and they're loud as ****.

GTX 970 is still probably the best performance/dollar value right now. It's what I use currently, and it can also handle any of the 1st gen VR stuff, so you should be safe for a while. I recommend going intel on CPU because AMD has been really falling behind and it's not really worthwhile even on most budget builds.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Gu ys, I'm building my first gaming PC with a very cavalier understanding of what I need.

What's your budget?

What Binary said is good, I'd also vouch for GTX 970 being best bang for buck on gfx cards, it's an extremely powerful card and will comfortably run pretty much any game at 60 fps with maxed settings @ 1080p.

Also absolutely do not skimp out on stuff like the PSU/cooler/case, make sure they are all good quality. Stock cooler = nope nope nope. The Hyper 212 Evo is very good for its price range but it is soooo annoying to install. <__<;

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
One good thing about my japanese literature class is that I get to write my final paper on whatever I want

So I'm going with Nichijou

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
What's your budget?

What Binary said is good, I'd also vouch for GTX 970 being best bang for buck on gfx cards, it's an extremely powerful card and will comfortably run pretty much any game at 60 fps with maxed settings @ 1080p.

Also absolutely do not skimp out on stuff like the PSU/cooler/case, make sure they are all good quality. Stock cooler = nope nope nope. The Hyper 212 Evo is very good for its price range but it is soooo annoying to install. <__<;
Yeah that's the tradeoff. It's huuuge. I've installed it like 3 times and yes, it can be very very annoying. Most mid towers can accommodate it, at least. But you probably need low-profile ram if you intend on having more than 2 sticks (low-profile is nice anyway though) at any point in the future, and you may need to orient it differently depending on where/what your graphics card is. Aaaand you might want to plug some other cables in in advance so you don't need to do it around the cooler. But imo it's worth the trouble - it's a very good, quiet cooler for the price.

And yeah, I'd say especially don't skimp on PSU. That's the backbone of your whole computer. I'd overshoot the niceness of your PSU a bit in case you want to upgrade, because that's a bit you need there. Case you can get away with going a little cheaper, but a nice case can make your life easier by a surprising amount.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
If you can get a PSU that's rated for a kilowatt or more, do it. Even if you don't necessarily need it now, you will eventually.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Another +1 to GTX 970. It's what I use and I've had no issues. I have a quad core Intel i5 3.5ghz processor, can't remember the model number but it's also amazing. Only my motherboard has really given me any issues.
I'm a strong proponent of Windows 7, but maybe they'll make windows 10 less ****ty someday. Not a fan of bloatware and the like, seems a hassle to disable a lot of it in W10.

Last edited:

Jolteon

Yeah that's the tradeoff. It's huuuge. I've installed it like 3 times and yes, it can be very very annoying. Most mid towers can accommodate it, at least. But you probably need low-profile ram if you intend on having more than 2 sticks (low-profile is nice anyway though) at any point in the future, and you may need to orient it differently depending on where/what your graphics card is. Aaaand you might want to plug some other cables in in advance so you don't need to do it around the cooler. But imo it's worth the trouble - it's a very good, quiet cooler for the price.

And yeah, I'd say especially don't skimp on PSU. That's the backbone of your whole computer. I'd overshoot the niceness of your PSU a bit in case you want to upgrade, because that's a bit you need there. Case you can get away with going a little cheaper, but a nice case can make your life easier by a surprising amount.
Nah it's not even that, screwing it in while holding the cpu mount in place and not getting thermal paste smeared is a balancing act and its a pain in the butt, I've never had another cooler that is that annoying to install. xD Would still recommend it though.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
What's your budget?

Optimally I'm aiming for that 800-1000 dollar price range. Granted, I'm gettin good prices on the list I've got going thus far, so I could definitely hit that. As for installation, I'm bookmarking tutorials like an absolute MADMAN. Luckily, I've got a swappable-head screwdriver, zip ties, and a dream.

Edit:
Current Parts List
CPU:
Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MotherBoard:
Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Has Onboard Ethernet)
RAM Cards:
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
SSD (For the OS, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. Tips on that are welcome):
Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Mechanical HardDrive:
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
SoundCard:
Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card

Current Total Without Discounts Etc:
$840.94
With Discounts: $804.45

This list is still a good way from being anything really, but I'd really love it if you guys could throw in recommendations, swaps, or just help me cut the fat on the current list thus far.

Last edited:

Jolteon

Optimally I'm aiming for that 800-1000 dollar price range. Granted, I'm gettin good prices on the list I've got going thus far, so I could definitely hit that. As for installation, I'm bookmarking tutorials like an absolute MADMAN. Luckily, I've got a swappable-head screwdriver, zip ties, and a dream.

Edit:
Current Parts List
CPU:
Cooler:
MotherBoard:
Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM Cards:
SSD (For the OS, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. Tips on that are welcome):
Mechanical HardDrive:
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU
SoundCard:
Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card

Current Total Without Discounts Etc:
$840.94
With Discounts: $804.45

This list is still a good way from being anything really, but I'd really love it if you guys could throw in recommendations, swaps, or just help me cut the fat on the current list thus far.
Looks solid to me. You don't need a sound card though, can just get rid of that tbh. And yeah get a SSD for sure and put your OS and games on there, it's one of the most price efficient upgrades you can get. You may wanna get one larger than 120GB though if you have a lot of games on Steam and you have the cash to spare.

You still need a PSU and a case. For a PSU look at this link: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html and pick any PSU that both a) comfortably meets how many watts your build needs and b) is either tier 1 or 2 (don't go below tier 2). There are like a million calculators out there to see how many watts you will need, but most likely any good quality 550w~ PSU should serve you fine, I'm currently running a 520w and my parts are similar to yours, although I really wouldn't go any lower than that.

Check reviews and find a full tower that interests you while staying within your budget. Corsair, Thermaltake and NZXT make good cases. Good cases are important because they have great airflow, stop any nightmares you will have with installation because they are incredibly spacious, have good cable management options and are a great investment because you can keep using a great quality case for new builds that you may have later on down the line.

edit: Also you may want to get a caviar black hard drive over caviar blue, their black range is based around performance, the blue is a 'balanced' drive between power consumption/performance/noise levels. As far as I'm aware though the differences are quite minor and either of the two will perform well, so it won't be a dealbreaker either way.

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
The only use of SSDs atm is as a boot disk, you're better off getting like 64-128gb SSD for your OS and a 2TB hard drive to store all your media. Much more cost efficient. At least, last time I checked, SSDs were still like $1/GB.

Sefthuko

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone!

I made a post last week that organized a bunch of Project M videos by character match-up (http://smashboards.com/threads/pm-3-6-video-search-thread.435592/). Since its a really long post, my browser crashes each time I try to edit it :/ If I wanted to keep it updated on a regular basis, I needed some other way of getting these matches to everyone. So I made a website that holds the same data but splits it up per main character.

http://pmvods.github.io/

I'm definitely not the website master, but it loads much faster than the forum post for my computer, and I'm able to edit it much easier :) I'd update the previous thread to redirect people to this new website, but my web browser crashes when I try to edit it haha... so hopefully people notice my response at the bottom of the page.

If people want their videos added to this site, please message me on smashboards with specific channels or playlists. If you want a detailed list of all the channels I currently track go to http://pmvods.github.io/about.html

Jolteon

The only use of SSDs atm is as a boot disk, you're better off getting like 64-128gb SSD for your OS and a 2TB hard drive to store all your media. Much more cost efficient. At least, last time I checked, SSDs were still like $1/GB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqoKUFGjFR0 it makes a massive difference with games as well and games tend to take up a lot of space nowadays. You are right though that SSDs are still really expensive per GB so it really depends how much you can afford and how many games you play frequently.

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Yeah obv it makes a huge difference, but it seems kind of a waste when you can only fit 3-4 games on your drive, unless you only play these games ever. Plus you're going to need another drive anyway because you're not going to waste precious SSD space on storing music and whatever. I guess if you don't mind transferring games every now and then around your drives it can be worth it, if only to save 10-15 seconds every time your game has to load.

Jolteon

Yeah obv it makes a huge difference, but it seems kind of a waste when you can only fit 3-4 games on your drive, unless you only play these games ever. Plus you're going to need another drive anyway because you're not going to waste precious SSD space on storing music and whatever. I guess if you don't mind transferring games every now and then around your drives it can be worth it, if only to save 10-15 seconds every time your game has to load.
No arguments there, I would highly recommend getting a secondary HDD to use for media and storage. You can fit wayyyyyy more than 3-4 games on a SSD nowadays, though. I got a 500gb samsung 850 Evo for £115 so I'd imagine you can buy something similar for $150 in America and that stores a lot of games.

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Alrighty, I'mma shoot this new and (hopefully) improved parts list.
Main Differences: Got rid of sound card, changed the HDD to 2TB alternative, moar parts (including the potential case and thermal paste for the CPU/Cooler Combo).

CPU:
Cooler:
Thermal Paste:
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
Motherboard:
RAM:
SSD:
HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU:
Tower:
Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply:
Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Disk Reader/Writer:
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)
(Cheap OS, and I have some hope it could become somewhat less ****ty.)
Mouse and Keyboard:
Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse
(Also cheap, but I'm not asking for much at this point.)
Monitor:
Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor

Base Total: $1194.39
(Without Promos/Rebates)
Total: $1107.90
(With Promos/Rebates)

Thar we go. Once again, PLEASE throw in your thoughts and recommendations. I'd really appreciate it, and I'm keen on getting info so I don't run into compatibility dilemmas.

Edit: Also, the current watt Estimation is 347w. Would I run into trouble if I use the 600w PSU?

More Edit: I may remove the thermal paste here since the Cooler Master includes some.

Last edited:

Professor Gravy

I've got a PhD in delicious
Main Differences: Got rid of sound card, changed the HDD to 2TB alternative, moar parts (including the potential case and thermal paste for the CPU/Cooler Combo).

CPU:
Cooler:
Thermal Paste:
Motherboard:
RAM:
SSD:
HDD:
GPU:
Tower:
Power Supply:
Mouse and Keyboard:
Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse
Monitor:

(Without Promos/Rebates)
(With Promos/Rebates)

Thar we go. Once again, PLEASE throw in your thoughts and recommendations. I'd really appreciate it, and I'm keen on getting info so I don't run into compatibility dilemmas.

Edit: Also, the current watt Estimation is 347w. Would I run into trouble if I use the 600w PSU?

More Edit: I may remove the thermal paste here since the Cooler Master includes some.
get windows ten from https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ its so much cheaper.

600-650 watts should be about ideal in terms of efficiency on a 347 watt rig

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
get windows ten from https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ its so much cheaper.

600-650 watts should be about ideal in terms of efficiency on a 347 watt rig
Thanks mang. Also, one more BIG question for anyone. Do you guys have any recommendations as to where I should order this stuff? I went to amazon, but it tends to be more expensive "new" there, but shipping is only displayed in-cart at other sites. So like...where do you guys buy your parts for that bang to buck ratio?

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994

CPU:
Cooler:
Thermal Paste:
Motherboard:
RAM:
SSD:
HDD:
GPU:
Tower:
Power Supply:
Mouse and Keyboard:
Monitor:

(Without Promos/Rebates)
(With Promos/Rebates)

I think i7-4790k wins over 6600k. It's stronger and has hyperthreading without being much more expensive overall, taking into account the price of motherboards and ram. I've heard it also is around on sale more frequently, too, so the price could well be just the same anyway.

And yeah "stock" paste is typically fine. I'm pretty sure the CM cooler comes with good thermal paste, you can just use that.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I think i7-4790k wins over 6600k. It's stronger and has hyperthreading without being much more expensive overall, taking into account the price of motherboards and ram. I've heard it also is around on sale more frequently, too, so the price could well be just the same anyway.

And yeah "stock" paste is typically fine. I'm pretty sure the CM cooler comes with good thermal paste, you can just use that.
Yeah, I just placed orders in for the Motherboard, SSD, HDD, and the Case so I'mma lego those around and get an idea on how I'm going to lay these parts in the finished product. DIS GON B GUD.

Also, I'mm keep that CPU recommendation in mind. Thanks Clone. :3

Edit: *Chuck realizes he used the ":3" emoji."
I feel subhuman.

Last edited:

Johny_Olde

Smash Cadet
Hi there. I don't know how to post a new thread but I've been looking for someone who can mod project M in specific ways for me. It will be a bit tedious and some may be difficult to do but I know it can be done.

I would like to add/replace music in the game. I have a long list so this is the tedious part.
I would like to transfer some songs from stages to other stages. That can be done because I know a guy who can do it. He can tell you how in case you don't know. I know you can't delete songs or add them but you can move them from stage to stage.
I would like to replace sound effects in the game. I prefer the sound effects from 3.5 rather than 3.6, especially the announcer. There are characters like Mr. Game & Watch and Pikachu that I want to replace some of their sounds and voices. For example, my favorite sounds from G&W is from Melee so I would like to add that. And Pikachu, I like two of his voices from Smash 64; the Thunder Shock and Thunderbolt move. I even like it when Pikachu lifts heavy objects and he grunts.
I want to replace some victory themes.
Finally, two movesets I want to fix. Wario's Chomp is only 1 chomp. I want him to chomp the same as he did in Brawl. And when he's Warioman, I would his Should Bash move to have him travel farther and faster like he would in Brawl when I did his Forward A Smash move. I'd be fun if he'd do that in the air.
Snake is the other person I want to edit his moveset but only one; his Down A Smash. I'm no fan of his Claymore move so I want it to be his RPG move that used to be his Forward A Smash in Brawl. Please put that as his Down A Smash.

That's pretty much it so it isn't too advanced. I don't have time to learn, nor the patience to learn on my own. Please, can someone do this for me? And I can pay you.

Top Bottom