• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
PMS I need your help coming up with an idea for my third person game project. It needs to have some autonomous navigation system like enemies following a player, you moving with point and click, etc. It also needs to incorporate some different lighting system than just the standard world lighting. These are the only restrictions for it. Any ideas? It's due April 8
When you say third person, does it have to be the standard third person (i.e. camera behind player model), or is any third person fine? Cause you could probably make isometric game with funky lighting with enemies chasing you. Or is that too simple?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Just needs pathfinding and dynamic lighting so
Could be anything from RTS to tower-defense to diablo-like hack 'n slash
Actually it could even be a sports game like football or whatever

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I got a job tutoring people taking physics, calculus and digital logic and I go to work again tomorrow and I'm in full panic mode that they're going to ask a question and I don't know the answer and **** up or something AAAAAAAAAAAA
Here's the secret : what you should give people as a tutor isn't answers but a methodology to find them.

Give a man a fish and yada yada.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
A topf-down dating sim bullet hell wherein you're the popular girl in school. "love interests" try to shoot you with rings and roses and crap like you might spam to improve your relationship with a chick in a normal dating sim, and you have to avoid them. Instead of taking damage, getting hit makes you fall for whoever shot you, love is game over. You might shoot them back with whatever mean anime tropes you choose. Maybe shoot the word baka at them for example. Maybe you don't shoot back, idk. Instead of waves, you have to make it from class to class, and they chase you through the mazelike halls.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
When you say third person, does it have to be the standard third person (i.e. camera behind player model), or is any third person fine? Cause you could probably make isometric game with funky lighting with enemies chasing you. Or is that too simple?
any third person is fine

A topf-down dating sim bullet hell wherein you're the popular girl in school. "love interests" try to shoot you with rings and roses and crap like you might spam to improve your relationship with a chick in a normal dating sim, and you have to avoid them. Instead of taking damage, getting hit makes you fall for whoever shot you, love is game over. You might shoot them back with whatever mean anime tropes you choose. Maybe shoot the word baka at them for example. Maybe you don't shoot back, idk. Instead of waves, you have to make it from class to class, and they chase you through the mazelike halls.
i have like a week and a half lmfao

NWRL

Smash Ace
i was like 10 days behind but pms has been dead so it only took me like 40 minutes to skim through it

the spot was a little sad for me w/o you n kev :'<
Kev is coming back to play Melee LMAO

He got cucked so hard in SFV he came back to Smash with his tail between his legs.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Simplify it then, baka. Top down mrs. pacman. You could possibly do light bullets or make your enemies glow or something if you feel like top down isn't good for dynamic lighting on its own. Or change the camera, I just thought top down would be simplest.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
good afternoon, thread. I willingly installed arch linux onto my computer and now I am in a rabbit hole of hell, only god can stop me now

but good god almighty tiling managers can be pretty once set up

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
PMS I need your help coming up with an idea for my third person game project. It needs to have some autonomous navigation system like enemies following a player, you moving with point and click, etc. It also needs to incorporate some different lighting system than just the standard world lighting. These are the only restrictions for it. Any ideas? It's due April 8

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
You are a protagonist who looks really really strong who made the wrong turn to Jabroniville, a town full of jabronis, nerds, weeaboos, anime nerds, and all other unholy things in between. Your car which runs really really strong broke down and you're trapped. The villagers want you unstrong, the outside world doesn't know where you are, and the odds seemed stacked against you. You have two choices: survive or survive while looking really really strong.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
The general world could just be based on the misadventures of PMS.

As for enemies, you could have rando users that show up asking for Wifi matches.

I don't know, just tossing out semi serious ideas out there. No clue on what kind of game it'd be, though.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I like Gray's idea but with some modifications so you can actually finish it. I could think of my own idea but going to add onto this one because I'm liking where this is going.

(backstory first, no gameplay)
Protaganist is Old Man Gray (Henceforth referred to as OMG) and he unleashes all of his strength to rid the world of jabronis, nerds, anime nerds, and whatever else he feels like. A freak accident happens when OMG was too strong. He ends up doing an attitude adjustment so strong that sends him into an anime world. OMG's strength during this floats away into muscle spirit that he has to regain.

(gameplay)
OMG moves around in an isometric (but still 3d) top down view with the mouse. Throughout his journey he walks around different areas (with different lightings, like lava caves, etc).

Two different options for autonomous system movement:
- Anime nerds and stuff (PMS) are randomly saved/they join the party
- As OMG collects his muscle spirit back they glow in different colors and circle/follow OMG (could give lighting effects).

(story)
End of story undecided. There's the meteor/whatever idea I guess though
- OMG destroys the thing to show all the nerds/jabronis/waifu people what true strength is
or
- OMG got affected by his own attitude adjustment and decides to save the nerds/jabronis/waifus

standardtoaster standardtoaster

Last edited:

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Sometimes i need a little beak from my life. But then i look around and realize that I DON'T HAVE A LIFE!!
:(

Last edited:

eideeiit

Smash Ace

It starts out with just you, the darkness and a lit torch lying on the floor.

Once you pick up the torch you notice a crevasse or something like that, filled with some murky liquid. You light the liquid on fire, and it turns out to be oil. The crevasse is some sort of a lighting system that once lit lights up the entire place and reveals your location to be a crypt of some sort.

Now you have a torch in your hand and a maze with it's walls lit to explore. There are barely any sounds, except your silent footsteps. After a small walk through some corridors you come across a larger, open area. It has 3 doors in it, on each an ancient-typish picture, and some grey box-like things. The pictures on the doors depict and eye, a nose and a mouth. Upon closer inspection you notice the door with an eye on it is cracked. By picking up, and throwing one of the grey boxes at it, the door breaks, and you're free venture deeper.

Once again you light the oil ducts by the walls, and notice that you're now in a corridor that has eyes all over its walls. As you carry on you come across a tile that's slightly different in color from the rest. Stepping on it makes a tiny clicking noise. Carrying on you find a seemingly bottomless pit. You go back to place a grey box on the differing tile, and when you come back a bridge has emerged over the pit. Walking across it, you soon face a black chest. You open it, and from within jumps a strange creature pops out. It consists of a black orb that has a pair of eyes and feet. It seems elated you let it out. As you start walking the creature starts following you. The soundscape is expanded by occasional drops of water.

Once you reach the large open space once again, the creature goes to examine the door with a nose on it and somehow opens it. It seems elated again. Going in, the walls are covered in noses and the creature keeps up with you. Suddenly it starts shivering in fear. The road ahead is blocked by a trap of arrows shooting from the walls. You solve the problem by placing a black box there to block them. Deeper you find another black chest. Open it, and you find another strange creature, this time a black ball with a nose and two arms that it uses to walk. The balls seem happy. The sound of distant wind picks up.

Return to the open space again, and the nosed creature somehow opens the third door and motions you to go in. The three of you go in the mouth-painted corridor and soon you come across a classic box pushing puzzle. Solve it, an the balls dance joyously. You find a third black chest ahead. From inside you find a third black ball, this time with a mouth and a tail that it uses o propel itself in a snake-like fashion. The three things dance around you. The sounds of wind and water get stronger

Again you return to open space. The balls take a triangle shaped formation and suddenly a staircase leading upwards appears. The three run into it ahead of you. But then you hear a strange roar. Going up the stairs you come face to face with a massive root-like monster that hangs from the ceiling. It has captured the three. It swings with its roots, but its most massive ones are occupied with strangling the creatures, so it can only push you back. You burn it to cinders with your torch. Another upwards leading set of stairs is found from behind it.

The three pull themselves together after the monster has been slain. They start a happy dance around you, but slowly start dancing around each other more and more. They speed up, until they're indistinguishable from each other. A mighty black poof happens from, and from it appears a huge beast with massive eyes, nose and mouth. It eats you. Black screen. Credits roll.

-The puzzles are a place holder.
-This was kinda fun.
-Never having made a game myself, I can't tell how much work even such a simple piece would be. I'd imagine the root would be quite an undertaking, the balls would too, but the crypt itself would be relatively simple.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I just contacted my college's study abroad program about going to Japan and learning the language (like all the cooool kids) so I have something somewhat impressive on my resume besides (part-time small-city street magician). If possible, I wanna rek some scrubs o'er there fam.

Last edited:

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
I just contacted my college's study abroad program about going to Japan and learning the language (like all the cooool kids) so I have something somewhat impressive on my resume besides (part-time small-city street magician). If possible, I wanna rek some scrubs o'er there fam.
Good for you man. Glad to see some people going out of their way to explore the greater depths of this world. Besides the language learning, what other plans do you have for Japan?

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Good for you man. Glad to see some people going out of their way to explore the greater depths of this world. Besides the language learning, what other plans do you have for Japan?
I dunno. I might play some new games, but I've got this biting urge to learn enough of the language to perform magic tricks without a language barrier. A big part of performance is the patter and pacing you add to it, and I just can't see myself enjoying my time there without my tricks in tow at full force.

As for long term, I'm really curious as to what job opportunities they have for English-fluent expats. There's also the fact that I'm an English major that wants to understand the structure of everyday language in comparison to something so foreign.

TheDarkMysteryMan TheDarkMysteryMan , I mostly perform visual-heavy card tricks (flourishes, color changes, card spins/flips, all that good ****.) When I'm feeling a bit cocky, I'll bring out some speedy ring tricks that usually revolve around a ring "melting" through the hand or changing between dark black and gold coloration (a fun gimmick that). I gotta get into coin tricks again so I can show off my old-school transpo and vanish tricks, but they aren't regulars as of now.

Last edited:

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
I dunno. I might play some new games, but I've got this biting urge to learn enough of the language to perform magic tricks without a language barrier. A big part of performance is the patter and pacing you add to it, and I just can't see myself enjoying my time there without my tricks in tow at full force.
So you were serious about being a magician? Well i like a good moment of confusion when I'm in the right mood. What sort of tricks are your bread and butter?

CORY

wut
BRoomer

It starts out with just you, the darkness and a lit torch lying on the floor.

Once you pick up the torch you notice a crevasse or something like that, filled with some murky liquid. You light the liquid on fire, and it turns out to be oil. The crevasse is some sort of a lighting system that once lit lights up the entire place and reveals your location to be a crypt of some sort.

Now you have a torch in your hand and a maze with it's walls lit to explore. There are barely any sounds, except your silent footsteps. After a small walk through some corridors you come across a larger, open area. It has 3 doors in it, on each an ancient-typish picture, and some grey box-like things. The pictures on the doors depict and eye, a nose and a mouth. Upon closer inspection you notice the door with an eye on it is cracked. By picking up, and throwing one of the grey boxes at it, the door breaks, and you're free venture deeper.

Once again you light the oil ducts by the walls, and notice that you're now in a corridor that has eyes all over its walls. As you carry on you come across a tile that's slightly different in color from the rest. Stepping on it makes a tiny clicking noise. Carrying on you find a seemingly bottomless pit. You go back to place a grey box on the differing tile, and when you come back a bridge has emerged over the pit. Walking across it, you soon face a black chest. You open it, and from within jumps a strange creature pops out. It consists of a black orb that has a pair of eyes and feet. It seems elated you let it out. As you start walking the creature starts following you. The soundscape is expanded by occasional drops of water.

Once you reach the large open space once again, the creature goes to examine the door with a nose on it and somehow opens it. It seems elated again. Going in, the walls are covered in noses and the creature keeps up with you. Suddenly it starts shivering in fear. The road ahead is blocked by a trap of arrows shooting from the walls. You solve the problem by placing a black box there to block them. Deeper you find another black chest. Open it, and you find another strange creature, this time a black ball with a nose and two arms that it uses to walk. The balls seem happy. The sound of distant wind picks up.

Return to the open space again, and the nosed creature somehow opens the third door and motions you to go in. The three of you go in the mouth-painted corridor and soon you come across a classic box pushing puzzle. Solve it, an the balls dance joyously. You find a third black chest ahead. From inside you find a third black ball, this time with a mouth and a tail that it uses o propel itself in a snake-like fashion. The three things dance around you. The sounds of wind and water get stronger

Again you return to open space. The balls take a triangle shaped formation and suddenly a staircase leading upwards appears. The three run into it ahead of you. But then you hear a strange roar. Going up the stairs you come face to face with a massive root-like monster that hangs from the ceiling. It has captured the three. It swings with its roots, but its most massive ones are occupied with strangling the creatures, so it can only push you back. You burn it to cinders with your torch. Another upwards leading set of stairs is found from behind it.

The three pull themselves together after the monster has been slain. They start a happy dance around you, but slowly start dancing around each other more and more. They speed up, until they're indistinguishable from each other. A mighty black poof happens from, and from it appears a huge beast with massive eyes, nose and mouth. It eats you. Black screen. Credits roll.

-The puzzles are a place holder.
-This was kinda fun.
-Never having made a game myself, I can't tell how much work even such a simple piece would be. I'd imagine the root would be quite an undertaking, the balls would too, but the crypt itself would be relatively simple.
You know.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Just realized I'm watching a youtube video of Hugs watching a youtube video of Sfat watching a youtube video of his own match

Too many playercams up in here

EDIT: Also I just found out about this bidou thing for sm4sh

It makes me sad you need to use a different controller and **** up your control scheme just so you can have movement options comparable to Melee and PM

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Just realized I'm watching a youtube video of Hugs watching a youtube video of Sfat watching a youtube video of his own match

Too many playercams up in here

EDIT: Also I just found out about this bidou thing for sm4sh

It makes me sad you need to use a different controller and **** up your control scheme just so you can have movement options comparable to Melee and PM
That face when you gotta pretend plup doesn't have cooler Samus while having to suffer through the slow corrupting drawl of grief.

Edit: :yeahboi:
inspirational.jpg

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277

As for long term, I'm really curious as to what job opportunities they have for English-fluent expats. There's also the fact that I'm an English major that wants to understand the structure of everyday language in comparison to something so foreign.

TheDarkMysteryMan TheDarkMysteryMan , I mostly perform visual-heavy card tricks (flourishes, color changes, card spins/flips, all that good ****.) When I'm feeling a bit cocky, I'll bring out some speedy ring tricks that usually revolve around a ring "melting" through the hand or changing between dark black and gold coloration (a fun gimmick that). I gotta get into coin tricks again so I can show off my old-school transpo and vanish tricks, but they aren't regulars as of now.
How about you ascend from jobber status, visit the Tokyo Dome, and watch a New Japan Pro Wrestling show? You may be lucky to watch BIG MATCH TANAHASHI.

I like Gray's idea but with some modifications so you can actually finish it. I could think of my own idea but going to add onto this one because I'm liking where this is going.

(backstory first, no gameplay)
Protaganist is Old Man Gray (Henceforth referred to as OMG) and he unleashes all of his strength to rid the world of jabronis, nerds, anime nerds, and whatever else he feels like. A freak accident happens when OMG was too strong. He ends up doing an attitude adjustment so strong that sends him into an anime world. OMG's strength during this floats away into muscle spirit that he has to regain.

(gameplay)
OMG moves around in an isometric (but still 3d) top down view with the mouse. Throughout his journey he walks around different areas (with different lightings, like lava caves, etc).

Two different options for autonomous system movement:
- Anime nerds and stuff (PMS) are randomly saved/they join the party
- As OMG collects his muscle spirit back they glow in different colors and circle/follow OMG (could give lighting effects).

(story)
End of story undecided. There's the meteor/whatever idea I guess though
- OMG destroys the thing to show all the nerds/jabronis/waifu people what true strength is
or
- OMG got affected by his own attitude adjustment and decides to save the nerds/jabronis/waifus

100/10 Would play forever.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Oh jeeze, Batman v Superman. Now, I went into that movie with pretty low expectations, but... It was... not good. 4/10 would be kind of generous in my opinion. Mild spoilers ahead.

First off, it feels like nobody has any real motivations for what they're doing. Everyone just decides they'd better kill Superman because, well, he's Superman. Lex Luthor is an insane bumbling Mark Zuckerburg that plays more like Joker Lite TM) than anything else. Batman straight up murders like 20 people. (more major spoilers) When he inevitably beats Superman, he is about to murder him with no hesitation when Superman mutters the name of his mother (their moms are both named Martha) and this, for some inexplicable reason, convinces Batman entirely to not kill Superman, because he has a mom, and that they should team up instead. He then just leaves his kryptonite spear, one of the most potentially powerful weapons in the world, just lying on the ****ing ground.

There are also three entirely pointless dream sequences, and Alfred plays Oracle and Lucius and never does anything butlery in the slightest.

For ****'s sake, Batman brings Alfred tea at one point in the movie.

What the actual ****

Bruce Wayne does not bring Alfred tea

Alfred is the butler

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
rip me seeing that movie now

I heard they screwed over Batman and Luthor's character, but this

...I'm not even gonna bother. It sounds like a goddamn trainwreck. I'll further my comic book moviegoing with either a second viewing of Deadpool or the upcoming X-Men flick (the latter of which I also have zero faith in)

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
It really is a Zach Snyder movie, for better and for worse. I don't know what I was expecting. I guess I was hoping he'd eventually learn from his mistakes.

I'm really not looking forward to seeing the DC universe get absolutely butchered :(

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
rip me seeing that movie now

I heard they screwed over Batman and Luthor's character, but this

...I'm not even gonna bother. It sounds like a goddamn trainwreck. I'll further my comic book moviegoing with either a second viewing of Deadpool or the upcoming X-Men flick (the latter of which I also have zero faith in)

Smooth Criminal
It really is a Zach Snyder movie, for better and for worse. I don't know what I was expecting. I guess I was hoping he'd eventually learn from his mistakes.

I'm really not looking forward to seeing the DC universe get absolutely butchered :(

Yup.

Another issue is that the movie totally has that Hollywood brand of racism, too. The only black people in the movie save two are bad guys, not-so-subtly implied terrorists, who are immediately murdered by the white bad guys, who are more skilled and powerful because they're white. Then the other two black guys also antagonize the white protagonists, or only hesitantly help them after initially refusing to. At least Laurence Fishburne was in it and had some actual dialogue.

Top Bottom