• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Oh **** I passed my post count on kc-mm a few days ago (860+) I never thought that I would get anywhere near that here back then. RIP texture modding nerd.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Dolphin question because idk: is there some additional step I need to take in Dolphin when setting up keybinds? I'm trying to make a bind for frame advance and it's just ignoring my inputs every time I try to add the keybind.

Alternatively just let me know what ctrl+right shows up as in /config/Dolphin.ini and I can just edit it in there. I'd have done that already but it doesn't look like standard input codes at a glance.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Frame advance doesnt work on netplay build, nor through the gecko method of pm 3.5

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Frame advance doesnt work on netplay build, nor through the gecko method of pm 3.5
I'm using a recent build with an iso. It works fine (can't use the Nintendo adapter in TAS mode without it crashing, but my Mayflash works), it's just really ****ing tedious to manually click frame advance over and over and I'd like to expedite the process with a keybind.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Frame advance works fine on netplay build with a trivial workaround. The only problem I've encountered (or heard of people encountering) is that the frame advance (Z) will trigger a grab. Just make a custom control scheme and bind Z to nothing and everything works fine.

Unless there's some other issue, I and a few of my friends have used frame advance on the netplay build without any more problems than that.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Uhhh I was actually talking about Dolphin's frame advance function, not PM's, thought that was obvious but maybe needs pointing out? I suppose I could de-bind Z and do it from within debug mode, but I'd really prefer to get a working keyboard shortcut so I don't have to **** with my controls and use a debug-specific setup.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Frame advance works fine on netplay build with a trivial workaround. The only problem I've encountered (or heard of people encountering) is that the frame advance (Z) will trigger a grab. Just make a custom control scheme and bind Z to nothing and everything works fine.

Unless there's some other issue, I and a few of my friends have used frame advance on the netplay build without any more problems than that.
omg thank you now I can actually use debug again
since my console set-up's harddrive died, I haven't been able to use it well because of that stupid grabbing issue, I hadn't thought to do this tho

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I've asked it before but I'll ask again, can we pleeeese have the ability to put the portrait of the main from our favourite game in the background of our post? I know you can change it between your Smash Wii U/3DS mains but I'm stumped as to why the ability for 64/Melee/Brawl/PM ones haven't been implemented. Pls I want Sonic instead of Pikachu.

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I don't main Lucas in Smash 4 so I don't know. But the option to use Roy, Wolf, or the Pokemons would be nice.

Edit: isn't sanic in Sm4sh anyway?

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
I know, I've read the books. What bothers me is that the only reasons I can think of as to why the producers would choose to write this particular scene into the show are also largely rooted in gross ****-y sexism.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
So, they decided to depict a medieval setting completely accurately?
Why, it's almost like they're doing it for the art, fancy that!

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
Do not click my spoilers if you don't want Game of Thrones spoiled for you

Last warning

This is going to be really hard to discuss, so be patient with me here.

I think the idea of narrative in here is to give reason for Theon/Reek to finally break his mold and betray Ramsay, I feel like the scene with Jeyne Poole in the books gives Theon similar initiative to risk his life (and so much more) by trying to escape with Jeyne. Also for Sansa I think the point is to show that she's still in well over her head, and unfortunately still a victim.

I agree that its so hard to watch, its really rough especially since we've known the character since she was a little girl (she pretty much still is a little girl at this point). I'm not going to defend any acts, especially in reality relating to this touchy subject, however I think this show just shows the absolute worst in humanity, but things like torture, murder and abuse are things commonly and often depicted in cinema, so we're desensitized to them. Something like **** isn't depicted often so it gets under our skin so much more.

I think a lot of the abuse, torture and **** are all really hard things for people to watch. Personally I think what Ramsay did to Theon is absolutely despicable, and what he's now done to Sansa is equally as despicable. I think both these things can be really hard for people who've gone through similar experiences to watch, but again, we're more desensitized to themes of abuse.

While including horrible acts in "entertainment" is a bit questionable, its trying to mirror the real world, where things like this happen. I really don't think Sansa had it in her to ever consent to what was going to happen, even if she tried to play it off as "playing the game" and "consenting" we all know what she's gone through would still be ****.

At least here its displayed as horrible and disgusting. It's meant to be salo-esque and make you want to vomit, I'm sure thats the intention.

Again, this is an absurdly touchy subject. I think they treated the subject appropriately (or at least to the best of their ability to make it seem horrible and reprehensible). There's definitely been very questionable uses of this before in the show (Cersei/Jamie, ESPECIALLY with the Director's comments on the matter), but I feel like this was meant to make us feel disgusted, and I don't think i've ever felt my stomach churn more watching this show.

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I guess my equivalent to reading the Game of Thrones books is reading the Jojo manga.

I'll have spoilers for the next few years of anime if they continue it after part 3. If they don't, I'm flying to Japan to have a Stand battle with David Productions.

Bleck

Smash Master
So, they decided to depict a medieval setting completely accurately?
Why, it's almost like they're doing it for the art, fancy that!
Game of Thrones isn't an historical drama - there are no "rules" for how a fictional setting can be portrayed. Implying that it's okay to bend the rules of "reality" for fantasy elements (i.e this is a show with magic and dragons) but that it's somehow simultaneously unacceptable for the setting to function, in the context of gender, in any capacity that isn't largely reflective of real life, is inherently sexist.

That being said, I'm not a person arguing that there's no place for scenes with forced and/or violent sexual actions in media - I spent a lot of time last year defending...
...the **** scene between Cersei and Jaime...
... because I believed that it was a layered scene featuring two complicated characters, and that the tone wasn't noticeably different from the tone of the same scene as written in the books. In this case, however, the scene doesn't actually serve a purpose unless your perception functions with a lot of problematic assumptions - SunJester is right in that the scene's clearly supposed to motivate the victim-character into wanting revenge on certain other people, but the problem is that one would only assume that that's necessary if all of the other things that happened to this character already weren't enough to motivate the character, because those weren't rapey enough.

There's a longstanding tradition, especially in fantasy as a genre, of sexist men believing that the only way to motivate a woman is to **** her, and being set in a period with castles and swords doesn't magically make that any less patronizingly sexist - the author of the books, as an artist, knows how to wield scenes with **** delicately, in ways that are more layered and meaningful than most, but the writers of the condensed made-for-TV version do not.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Well, yeah, it's heavy-handed(it's the Song of Fire and Ice, that's a given), but the writers and producers/what-have-you are indeed looking kinda suspect (IMO) if it was...THAT bad.
Not that you should expect subtlety all that often from fiction, kek

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
'Nother friendly warning :)

I think you have very valid points that its unnecessary to her character arc, and feels like its in there for shock value. However, I think we'll have to give them a few episodes to see how this pans out, I mean this episode literally ends with this scene. I think they wrote themselves into a corner with this scene (IIRC Sophie Turner said the writer found this really hard to write) because with Sansa marrying Ramsay and the rules they've established, there was no way out of how they were going to do it. Even implication would be hard to swallow.

I would have liked her to have more agency in the scene. I think it would have been more in line with her character arc. I think that's what bothers me most about the scene, is we've had 4 seasons of her being a passive victim, maybe if we could just have a scene where she's at least a more active victim ... I don't know. This **** must be bloody ****ing hard to write, especially in condensed 1 hour TV shows.

I'm not 100% sure how to feel about this scene, other than disgusted. I'm glad at least that the tone of the scene was meant to be horrible and disgusting, so at least it doesn't trivialize it.

Found some quotes from the writer

Cogman seemed to take this question very seriously and took a moment to consider his response. “This is Game of Thrones,” he said soberly. “This isn’t a timid little girl walking into a wedding night with Joffrey. This is a hardened woman making a choice and she sees this as the way to get back her homeland. Sansa has a wedding night in the sense she never thought she would with one of the monsters of the show. It’s pretty intense and awful and the character will have to deal with it.”
Cogman added that the scene is also “an important turning point” for Sansa. “She’s seen Theon and hated him and thinks he killed her brothers and betrayed them but she’s very conflicted by what she’s seeing there,” he said.
Well at least this was a better response than the sept scene where the director insisted it was consensual.

Still not sure what to think, but at least it seems like some thought when into it, and they at least tried to be careful.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
This is him we're talking about. I would be shocked if you didn't hold that mofo in contempt.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
I think that's what bothers me most about the scene, is we've had 4 seasons of her being a passive victim
This is the problem - where we last left her in the books, she's beginning to become more active. That arc is going somewhere, where there'll presumably be a payoff at some point. The showrunners, on the other hand, are rewriting the story so that they can use the character as a tool to motivate other characters, while trying to argue that her previous experiences aren't traumatic enough to function as a character arc because, you know, they aren't rapey enough. It does a disservice to the character, to the story, and to the show itself, all in what just happens to be likely the most offensive manner possible.

SunJester

Smash Ace
More GoT/ASoIaF stuff

Very valid points Bleck. I do find it at least a bit comforting that the writer (at least he feels he did) gave Sansa the choice to marry Ramsay from the previous episodes.

I just want her to do something. Theon feels like he's in a similar situation. Its like, I get it, they're in solidarity of horrible experiences from one ****ty choice they made. I felt like her arc was going somewhere, but it feels like a reset of season 4, where at the end of this season we'll get the payoff that we were promised at season 4.

Its such a shame because so many things in this episode were done so well. Diana Rigg coming back was incredible, the faces in the house of black and white were amazing, the scene with jorah and tyrion talking about papa bear was really good.

I think I kinda have to shake it off like i've done with this crappy dorne plot so far this season, I -know- Sansa will eventually rise up, just stop enforcing it every episode please.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
And now for a less intellectually intense post,

I don't think this meme will ever not be funny.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Just got destroyed on 64 netplay. Dude played all 12 characters and thoroughly stomped me with all of them. After said destruction he just said "lmao" and left.
:shaker:

Top Bottom