• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Showdown 3.02 Results

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
This past weekend, Xanadu was host to Project M Showdown 3.02. It was a tournament to remember - talented players from across the country showed up and put on quite a show. Upsets, double 9 hammers, sub hype and excellent Project M play were all on display.

Sub Hype!

Throughout the tournament, new VGBootCamp subscriptions were rolling in by the boatload. At the time of the tournament, the #FreeGimR campaign for 500 subs had already been completed. Over the course of the Project M 3.02 stream, however, several new subscribers also joined in on the fun, surpassing the stretch goal of 700 new subs. Every new subscriber was met with a 'sub HYYPPEEE' chant from commentators TKBreezy and ThePhenomenalEE. This solidified GimR and VGBootCamp's ability to stay afloat, and all eyes will continue to be on them as they begin to roll out new content on a more regular basis.

Proportions be damned - the stretch goal was reached.

Bracket Upsets

There were several high-profile players at this event, but not every top player can win. Several well-known names were ejected from the tournament earlier than expected - Crs.Chillin lost to MD/VA regular Junebug's Diddy Kong and VGBC | Redd for an uncharacteristic 9th place finish, while ChuDat was felled by APEX | Nintendude and Boss to come in 7th. Zelda ace Zhime also fell to 9th place at the hands of ChuDat.

To see the full bracket results, click here!

MD/VA largely failed to protect their turf from visiting regions - no local players made their way to Top 3. Instead, Smash nomad CT Zero took first, followed by Arizona's K9 and New York smasher FS Frozen. While the competition was fierce, CT Zero played a perfect tournament, winning without dropping a single game in bracket. With this win and several other strong performances recently, CT Zero is quickly becoming the player to watch in the Project M circuit.

TKBreezy's interview with champion CT Zero

Doubles also ran smoothly - CT Zero and ChuDat took first, with Junebug and Pink Fresh in second and Apex | Nintendude and Seagull Joe coming in third.

One-Game Tournament

Project M Showdown 3.02 was the first large tournament to host Project M exclusively. Many people around the event felt this created an excellent atmosphere that fostered excitement and next-level play from competitors. APEX | Nintendude thought the tournament was "a lot more fun for me when I'm not trying to focus on Melee at the same time. Hoping for more mono game events like this one in the future." The excitement at the tournament was palpable, both in the venue and the stream. Tournament organizer VGBC | Tantalus thought a one-game tournament had interesting repercussions: "For some people, I think it improved them drastically. Others had less spark than usual, I think... those training for MLG and not for Project M were at a disadvantage here."

For videos of the event, head over to VGBootCamp's YouTube channel. As always, stay tuned to Smashboards for any and all Smash-related content.

The Derrit had a blast watching this tournament, and is still scared of 9 hammers. Follow him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Glad GIMR can work solely on smash now. Now we wait till E3.

D

Deleted member

when they announced this I mistakenly read it as Project M 3.2 being announced. Oh wells maybe sometime this year.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Being there was something else.
In the chat I mean...
Yeah Illinois sux doe

Project M 3.2 is already out dude. It's been out for a long time actually.
No, Project M 3.02 is already out. :p

Last edited:

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
I think this bracket is a great indicator maining a single character is not a great idea in PM. Everyone has bad matchups. At least, there are certain strengths that each characters has problems with which is what it seems to me. Many melee players have opted for 2 characters and some how I feel PM may actually require 3 after the dust is settled and the meta is grounded.

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Not bad Seagull Joe. :D Happy that Diddy Kong got a rep at the higher tiers.
Oh and that double 9 hammer LOL. Chudat gonna prep for 9 hours for G&W now.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I watched most of these. Some really great battles! Boss, Smash God, Z-Hime, Zero, K9, Junebug... everyone put up a great fight. Some extremely hype battles. Some of the matches had excellent commentary, too (but not all of them).

Thanks for putting on a great show, fellas. The skill and dedication is real.

Top Bottom