• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Recommended Ruleset

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I can see how Olympus is not a perfect stagelist. But honestly, I would be totally fine with the Olympus stagelist being the
community normal for a while like how the Paragon stagelist is considered the normal right now.
Most tournies in my region run Paragon simply because they are too lazy to implement anything else because
their main focus is the other games. Now with Olympus having run it's stagelist, my scene may just switch to it now. Yay.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
Starters list is great

But what's the perfect CP combination

Ban FD
WL, SW, NF, DS but nobody will ever do it.

I can see how Olympus is not a perfect stagelist. But honestly, I would be totally fine with the Olympus stagelist being the
community normal for a while like how the Paragon stagelist is considered the normal right now.
Most tournies in my region run Paragon simply because they are too lazy to implement anything else because
their main focus is the other games. Now with Olympus having run it's stagelist, my scene may just switch to it now. Yay.
That's the idea. Progress is fine, even one step at a time. It will be much easier to convince people to not despise the Olympus list if they're used to Paragon rather than give them a whole new list. Then make a small change from that list, and so on and so forth.

I'd still like critical feedback from players, too. Its hard to improve on things in ways people want without feedback.

Darth Shard

Dark Lord of the Smash Bros.
Hey all (is there anyone still alive in this thread?)

I'm working on a script for a video project I've been wanting to do for quite a long time called, "Is PS2 Truly Neutral?" I want to produce a data-driven analysis of this stage and how it fits as a starter as well as how it affects the overall symmetry/balance of a stagelist. I also aim to discuss what sorts of characters benefit the most from this stage and argue that the perception that many players have of this stage (perfectly neutral, true medium stage, etc...) may not be entirely accurate.

For anyone interested in critiquing/contributing to this effort, please respond below and I will share the outline I've been working on so you can help me refine and touch up my talking points.

Additionally, I think it would be beneficial to get an updated infograph regarding the dimensions of potentially-tourney legal stages. Here is what I've worked up so far, but it would be awesome to add data for stages like Norfair and DP if someone was willing to help with that. Also, if you think there are more stage measurements that aren't included that would be beneficial to add (i.e. platform height, distance from stage to lower blastzone, etc...) we could look into those as well.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hey all (is there anyone still alive in this thread?)

I'm working on a script for a video project I've been wanting to do for quite a long time called, "Is PS2 Truly Neutral?" I want to produce a data-driven analysis of this stage and how it fits as a starter as well as how it affects the overall symmetry/balance of a stagelist. I also aim to discuss what sorts of characters benefit the most from this stage and argue that the perception that many players have of this stage (perfectly neutral, true medium stage, etc...) may not be entirely accurate.

For anyone interested in critiquing/contributing to this effort, please respond below and I will share the outline I've been working on so you can help me refine and touch up my talking points.

Additionally, I think it would be beneficial to get an updated infograph regarding the dimensions of potentially-tourney legal stages. Here is what I've worked up so far, but it would be awesome to add data for stages like Norfair and DP if someone was willing to help with that. Also, if you think there are more stage measurements that aren't included that would be beneficial to add (i.e. platform height, distance from stage to lower blastzone, etc...) we could look into those as well.

This should be up to date: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LJ2IRbVIcEYajsqt95JMQOPKKpsqfDzo5ZgfJvbdlg4/edit#gid=0

JoshD

Smash Rookie
I think Yoshi's Story and Wario Ware should be legal. Some think that the cloud in Yoshi's is "janky," but actually, it's very predictable. You can tell where it is by looking at the clock. Yoshi's is also very different from Battlefield. First, it's smaller. The platforms are lower and spaced differently. There are small slopes that can aid edge-guarding while the overhanging platforms can aid recoveries. There is a wall on either side allowing Scar jumps and other skills to be used. One could argue that Yoshi's and Wario Ware fill the same niche. However, they are still different, so there is no need to ban one of them. We can have both. I believe that more stages should be included on the list. Diversity is always good for the game. More stages allows for more characters to become viable to play. For example, Ganondorf is strong on Yoshi's, so removing it would hurt his viability. The opposite is also true. If there are few stages, the characters that thrive on them will have an advantage. For example, in melee, Fox is good on all stages. I've seen Fox mains counter pick every stage depending on the match-up. This contributes to Fox being the most viable character in melee. If a stage isn't bad, then it should be legal.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I think Yoshi's Story and Wario Ware should be legal. Some think that the cloud in Yoshi's is "janky," but actually, it's very predictable. You can tell where it is by looking at the clock. Yoshi's is also very different from Battlefield. First, it's smaller. The platforms are lower and spaced differently. There are small slopes that can aid edge-guarding while the overhanging platforms can aid recoveries. There is a wall on either side allowing Scar jumps and other skills to be used. One could argue that Yoshi's and Wario Ware fill the same niche. However, they are still different, so there is no need to ban one of them. We can have both. I believe that more stages should be included on the list. Diversity is always good for the game. More stages allows for more characters to become viable to play. For example, Ganondorf is strong on Yoshi's, so removing it would hurt his viability. The opposite is also true. If there are few stages, the characters that thrive on them will have an advantage. For example, in melee, Fox is good on all stages. I've seen Fox mains counter pick every stage depending on the match-up. This contributes to Fox being the most viable character in melee. If a stage isn't bad, then it should be legal.
I think part of the problem then becomes the sheer amount of stages mixed with the variety bleeding over. For example, WW and Yoshi Story are very small stages. If a list has say, both to make it have 2 tiny stages, then it needs 2 big stages and so on.

Top Bottom