• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Online Matchmaking Thread (Wii)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
GGs. I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not being able to beat your Zelda, I'll have to work on that matchup. I don't really know how to approach her, with any of my mains (ZSS isn't really a main but I'm trying to see if I can make it work, since I love that Justin Bailey costume).

EDIT: I need to clean my keyboard, that was a lot of missed letters from sticky keys.

Last edited:

Diagh

Smash Journeyman
GGs. I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not being able o beat your Zelda, I'll hav to work on that matchup. I don't really know how to approach her, with any of my mains (ZSS isn't rally a main but I'm trying to see if I can make it work, since I love that Justin Bailey costume).
Your agressiveness was your downfall. With ZSS you always tried to approach me in close quarters with a grab or your sideB. I picked up your pattern and punished you for it. ZSS and Wolf outspeed Zelda by a long shot. Use that to your advantage, and apply some L-Cancel to your play. You hardly did them or unsuccessfully executed the technique. I noticed this when I was looking at your percentages.

Last edited:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
I can understand that, but I'm not really sure what to do if I'm not approaching. Between your side-B being able to hit me from anywhere and your neutral-B cutting off my projectile I don't really see any options. I mean I'm certainly not calling Zelda cheap or OP or anything, I'm just at a loss on how to progress.

EDIT: Yeah, you're right about the L-cancelling, I'm pretty bad at tech. It's something that I know I need to practice but I find it tiring to do it for hours at a time, and I'm not confident enough to try to wavedash or L-cancel yet when I'm likely enough to just airdash or shield.

Last edited:

Diagh

Smash Journeyman
I can understand that, but I'm not really sure what to do if I'm not approaching. Between your side-B being able to hit me from anywhere and your neutral-B cutting off my projectile I don't really see any options. I mean I'm certainly not calling Zelda cheap or OP or anything, I'm just at a loss on how to progress.
Zelda is a defensive character; your approach must be non-linear and quick along with some baiting. The only reason I was able to use Din's fire to remove your options was due to your drifting choices in the air. You didn't really change it, and if you did, I could see it very early. Movement should be something you work on. I was dancing around you a couple of times with Farore's Wind and crossups. You shouldn't let that happen.

Last edited:

Diagh

Smash Journeyman

EDIT: Yeah, you're right about the L-cancelling, I'm pretty bad at tech. It's something that I know I need to practice but I find it tiring to do it for hours at a time, and I'm not confident enough to try to wavedash or L-cancel yet when I'm likely enough to just airdash or shield.
Very well. Get those down. It takes muscle memory to execute the techniques. It'll increase your approach options and make you quicker.

krushingrip

Smash Journeyman
Zelda is a defensive character; your approach must be non-linear and quick along with some baiting. The only reason I was able to use Din's fire to remove your options was due to your drifting choices in the air. You didn't really change it, and if you did, I could see it very early. Movement should be something you work on. I was dancing around you a couple of times with Farore's Wind and crossups. You shouldn't let that happen.
Sorry to butt in, but i also struggle against defensive characters/players... What do you mean by non-linear
And got any other advice to counter defensive play?

Diagh

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to butt in, but i also struggle against defensive characters/players... What do you mean by non-linear
And got any other advice to counter defensive play?
By non-linear I am talking about your options of approach. When approaching your opponent you must utilize your character's toolkit to engage your opponent in more than one dimension of play (Examples are baiting, movement, punishing, etc.) and in space (horizontal and vertical).
For example, Zelda's "Nayru's Love" is a horizontal type move with some end lag. If you baited Zelda into committing to that move (which usually means your opponent has guessed that you will engage in this horizontal plane) her vertical axis is quite vulnerable. Which leads Zelda to being punished, if the opponent comes at her vertically or waits for the attack to end. Defensive characters have a tool kit that rewards punishment, baiting, and speculation. You essentially have to outsmart your opponent in more ways than one. Non-linearity in space and in mind.

Last edited:

Diagh

Smash Journeyman
nah just learning the match up give me three more games and it's over for you
It has nothing to do with matchup. Your play style is stagnant and unrewarding for you. You play like you're scared. Just tryin' to help you out.

Edit: And why three? That is so specific.

Last edited:

ThatLinkDude

Smash Journeyman
It has nothing to do with matchup. Your play style is stagnant and unrewarding for you. You play like you're scared. Just tryin' to help you out.
Nah Zeldas just a bad matchup for me, but like I said 3 more matches and it's over
I just got off work need to warm my brain up

Last edited:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
Sounds like a plan. I didn't practice my tech skill that much between now and the last time we played (I got some hand pain so i took a break) but hopefully I'll do better.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
K that was kinda fun

GGs Link guy

P.S: AGT more; it adds versatility your recovery and can offer stage control when you're in neutral.

P.P.S: Try to gain control the center of the stage. If you can cover that much space, then you're at a huge advantage. Link can do this via boxing ppl out with Nair / projectiles (shoot less arrows, pull more bombs btw) / Zair (don't airdodge before Zairing when you're not using it for recovering; the second hit is really good and you don't wanna land before it comes out), and if you can do that much, you'll be really scary.

Last edited:

ThatLinkDude

Smash Journeyman
K that was kinda fun

GGs Link guy

P.S: AGT more; it adds versatility your recovery and can offer stage control when you're in neutral.
What's agt? How did you find the time to get good at smash and solve all of those cases Richard?

Top Bottom