• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Online Matchmaking Thread (Wii)

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
I see, no wonder I kept missing the rest, no idea where the hitbox actually is.

Thanks for the Sheik compliment but as for Fox, I think yours is way better. Pretty much the only games I won in the mirrors were when you suicided. Your Falco is way better too.
lol, it's literally inside her body so it definitely is a bit of a pain to hit.

You did get some crazy comebacks (I remember the 120%+ last stock last hit Shine you pulled off, lol), so I can't tell anyway. xD I'm a pretty aggro player for the most part, so perhaps it was that aspect that made it seem like that. Anyway, good games, hope we can play again ;)

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity would you say you main Puff or Fox? Or is it a 3rd character that I'm too much of a scrub for you to bring out?

Yeah maybe I need to learn better aggression with the spacies. But I think a bigger problem I have is not getting big enough punishes/combos with them. I noticed you'd get in once and take like half my stock. I'd get in once and do maybe 20 damage at most.

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity would you say you main Puff or Fox? Or is it a 3rd character that I'm too much of a scrub for you to bring out?

Yeah maybe I need to learn better aggression with the spacies. But I think a bigger problem I have is not getting big enough punishes/combos with them. I noticed you'd get in once and take like half my stock. I'd get in once and do maybe 20 damage at most.
I'm definitely a Puff main, though it may not have seemed like it for some of those matches xD I actually considered my Falco to be better than both my Fox and Puff since I just kind of improvise stuff with Fox (i.e. spam N-air, Shine, and U-smash in panic, lol), but your Sheik made me second guess everything.

Oh, that's what you mean. I mean, this generally isn't good advice to follow, but if you're going to go in, just do it, lol. If you have the opponent in a defensive position, just keep up the pressure and be confident in your reads. That's about all I do. ;P

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely a Puff main, though it may not have seemed like it for some of those matches xD I actually considered my Falco to be better than both my Fox and Puff since I just kind of improvise stuff with Fox (i.e. spam N-air, Shine, and U-smash in panic, lol), but your Sheik made me second guess everything.

Oh, that's what you mean. I mean, this generally isn't good advice to follow, but if you're going to go in, just do it, lol. If you have the opponent in a defensive position, just keep up the pressure and be confident in your reads. That's about all I do. ;P

I think your Falco would give me much more trouble if you incorporated more lasers into your play. He can lock down people hard with them, but since you didn't use many I was able to move freely. I did see shades of greatness from your Falco. Those platform combos and tech chases O_O, you won't see those from my Falco. That's why I stopped picking Battlefield when you were going Falco.

I do think right now your best character vs my Sheik is Puff but maybe against other players/characters, your Falco/Fox might in fact be better. Really none of your characters were bad at all.

Last edited:

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
I think your Falco would give me much more trouble if you incorporated more lasers into your play. He can lock down people hard with them, but since you didn't use many I was able to move freely. I did see shades of greatness from your Falco. Those platform combos and tech chases O_O, you won't see those from my Falco. That's why I stopped picking Battlefield when you were going Falco.

I do think right now your best character vs my Sheik is Puff but maybe against other players/characters, your Falco/Fox might in fact be better. Really none of your characters were bad at all.
More lasers? Ah, because they have the stun on them while Fox's don't, I get it now... ;P lol, I love the tech chasing with spacie D-throws, so much fun. Even if I do get punished for missing them sometimes. You always managed to punish my shield pressure though, lol.

Thanks for the reassurance, lol. Did you notice any habits of my gameplay (because that stupid roll behind > try to Rest desperation thing, lmao)?

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
More lasers? Ah, because they have the stun on them while Fox's don't, I get it now... ;P lol, I love the tech chasing with spacie D-throws, so much fun. Even if I do get punished for missing them sometimes. You always managed to punish my shield pressure though, lol.

Thanks for the reassurance, lol. Did you notice any habits of my gameplay (because that stupid roll behind > try to Rest desperation thing, lmao)?
Yeah it seems the best Falco players know how to use lasers amazingly well. They'll space them so they'll be in front of their opponent after it while they are trapped in blockstun/hitstun.

Yeah I did notice you going for roll behinds a lot towards the end so I just started waiting and punished them, you probably could have won some of those games I did if you hadn't done that. Jigglypuff's roll doesn't seem that good either lol, you'd probably get away with that more with Falco.

Other advice? Well I guess you could try tech chasing with rest. By that I mean on stages with platforms you might not get up throw to rest but you can up throw fast fallers onto the platform and then try to react to their getup and punish with rest. I actually was very surprised you didn't do that a few times as you were so solid at other methods of landing rest.

I liked your idea of just going for rest out of the blue at times. At first I thought you were trolling me but then I realized what can Sheik really do about it? Regular combos don't work on Puff so the most she'd get is charged up Smash (which still doesn't do much damage unless sweet spotted). So when you are below 80ish it's probably safe to throw out. I'm guessing that's why you went for way more rests against Sheik than Fox?

Speaking of jab resets I tried to do a few myself when tech chasing Fox/Falco with Sheik but I think it only worked like once. You are so consistent at teching even on wifi D: Ground techs, stage techs, platform techs you name it. I miss them all the time as you probably noticed.

Last edited:

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it seems the best Falco players know how to use lasers amazingly well. They'll space them so they'll be in front of their opponent after it while they are trapped in blockstun/hitstun.

Yeah I did notice you going for roll behinds a lot towards the end so I just started waiting and punished them, you probably could have won some of those games I did if you hadn't done that. Jigglypuff's roll doesn't seem that good either lol, you'd probably get away with that more with Falco.

Other advice? Well I guess you could try tech chasing with rest. By that I mean on stages with platforms you might not get up throw to rest but you can up throw fast fallers onto the platform and then try to react to their getup and punish with rest. I actually was very surprised you didn't do that a few times as you were so solid at other methods of landing rest.

I liked your idea of just going for rest out of the blue at times. At first I thought you were trolling me but then I realized what can Sheik really do about it? Regular combos don't work on Puff so the most she'd get is charged up Smash (which still doesn't do much damage unless sweet spotted). So when you are below 80ish it's probably safe to throw out. I'm guessing that's why you went for way more rests against Sheik than Fox?

Speaking of jab resets I tried to do a few myself when tech chasing Fox/Falco with Sheik but I think it only worked like once. You are so consistent at teching even on wifi D: Ground techs, stage techs, platform techs you name it. I miss them all the time as you probably noticed.
Ah, you saw what I was going for all that time then, lol. To be honset, that thought just never occurred to me with tech chasing the platform techs. >.> good idea. When I just walked up after a respawn and walked into you I actually was messing around, but sometimes I was legitimately trying to hit them. xD I actually went for more Rests on Sheik because Fox is way easier to kill at any percent than Sheik is. After a certain point, Sheik just takes the hit and can't be combo'd at all, so that part sucks. Also, I fished for U-throw Rest which hit more often on Fox and Falco, so I didn't go for as many read-based Rests.

I guess that's a sign of wifi being built into my brain? lmao. You certainly got the tech chases though, so that's arguably better.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Ah, you saw what I was going for all that time then, lol. To be honset, that thought just never occurred to me with tech chasing the platform techs. >.> good idea. When I just walked up after a respawn and walked into you I actually was messing around, but sometimes I was legitimately trying to hit them. xD I actually went for more Rests on Sheik because Fox is way easier to kill at any percent than Sheik is. After a certain point, Sheik just takes the hit and can't be combo'd at all, so that part sucks. Also, I fished for U-throw Rest which hit more often on Fox and Falco, so I didn't go for as many read-based Rests.

I guess that's a sign of wifi being built into my brain? lmao. You certainly got the tech chases though, so that's arguably better.

Oh I see, I hadn't considered that. You didn't need to fish for rest vs Fox/Falco because grabbing was an easy confirm into it and you could combo/edge guard them hard even without it. Makes sense. Of course it's also a lot more risky to just throw out when a fully charged Fox up smash kills Puff at like 50 lol.

Yeah Sheik's dash speed is fast so it makes it easier to tech chase with her. Though I think for some of them you could have shined in time before I got the regrab since it's the fastest move. This is because I think I was late on a few of those. But I think you tried to jump or just shielded for some reason so I got them anyway.

Even offline I'm not that good at teching yet and that connection wasn't bad (except for a few instances). I think sometimes I just literally forget to try teching lol. "Let me just do nothing and take 90 percent off one hit" -- JustSomeScrub

Last edited:

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
Oh I see, I hadn't considered that. You didn't need to fish for rest vs Fox/Falco because grabbing was an easy confirm into it and you could combo/edge guard them hard even without it. Makes sense. Of course it's also a lot more risky to just throw out when a fully charged Fox up smash kills Puff at like 50 lol.

Yeah Sheik's dash speed is fast so it makes it easier to tech chase with her. Though I think for some of them you could have shined in time before I got the regrab since it's the fastest move. This is because I think I was late on a few of those. But I think you tried to jump or just shielded for some reason so I got them anyway.

Even offline I'm not that good at teching yet and that connection wasn't bad (except for a few instances). I think sometimes I just literally forget to try teching lol. "Let me just do nothing and take 90 percent off one hit" -- JustSomeScrub
That Fox U-smash is pretty much enough to scare me into not going for any crazy Rests. Oh dang it, I was always trying to jump out of the tech chase after I teched, lol.

Sometimes it's actually a good idea to not tech and try to throw off your opponent in a tech chase position, but never with Puff because the jab reset > Rest is always waiting. Sometimes I forgot which button was to tech and which one was to shield while we were playing. I got pretty lucky with the ledge techs as well. Most of the time I didn't get the chance though because dat Sheik :(

waygu

Smash Lord
That Fox U-smash is pretty much enough to scare me into not going for any crazy Rests. Oh dang it, I was always trying to jump out of the tech chase after I teched, lol.

Sometimes it's actually a good idea to not tech and try to throw off your opponent in a tech chase position, but never with Puff because the jab reset > Rest is always waiting. Sometimes I forgot which button was to tech and which one was to shield while we were playing. I got pretty lucky with the ledge techs as well. Most of the time I didn't get the chance though because dat Sheik :(
tech and shield are the same input jsyk.

Top Bottom