• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M on Wii U controller options(Mayflash adapter)?

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
So I'm a Project M player and also an owner of a Wii U. Project M works perfectly fine on my Wii U and it's great. I have one issue though. I'm ordering a Mayflash adapter so I can use my GameCube controller on my Wii U. I do not own a Wii. I already have my GameCube controller. I'm waiting for the adapter. I've been all over the place online looking for opinions. It's really mixed. I play competitively. I wavedash,moonwalk, L-cancel, etc. I'm aware of the lack of analog triggers and rumble. I want to ask this. Does anyone know if there really is button input lag at all? Also what should I do? Should I try the adapter? Or am I better off buying a Wii to practice/play Project M on there? If anyone could help or give an opinion I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I use a mayflash GC to pc adapter and I do not notice any input delay. Of course we're not talking about the same product, but it is mayflash nonetheless. A Wii would be nice to have though as you can play with other people as opposed to just CPU's unless you were planning on buying multiple adapters. A Wii might cost about the same price though considering how cheap they are nowadays.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
So I'm a Project M player and also an owner of a Wii U. Project M works perfectly fine on my Wii U and it's great. I have one issue though. I'm ordering a Mayflash adapter so I can use my GameCube controller on my Wii U. I do not own a Wii. I already have my GameCube controller. I'm waiting for the adapter. I've been all over the place online looking for opinions. It's really mixed. I play competitively. I wavedash,moonwalk, L-cancel, etc. I'm aware of the lack of analog triggers and rumble. I want to ask this. Does anyone know if there really is button input lag at all? Also what should I do? Should I try the adapter? Or am I better off buying a Wii to practice/play Project M on there? If anyone could help or give an opinion I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
If you play competitively you need to get a wii with Gc ports and a CRT TV, there is no way around it. I'v tried the wiiU, P:M mayflash combo and its not that great. Fine for casual, but blah if you're serious about getting better.

EDIT: Tried meaning i own a Wii U and a mayflash adapter.

Last edited:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
If you play competitively you need to get a wii with Gc ports and a CRT TV, there is no way around it. I'v tried the wiiU, P:M mayflash combo and its not that great. Fine for casual, but blah if you're serious about getting better.

EDIT: Tried meaning i own a Wii U and a mayflash adapter.
Thanks dude. It's such a pain though. All my memory is going to be on the Wii now and lost because it'll stay on the Wii U -_-

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Thanks dude. It's such a pain though. All my memory is going to be on the Wii now and lost because it'll stay on the Wii U -_-
hah the same exact thing happened to me! But the wii U is great for everything else wii related. I keep the wii around just for smash. Everything else is played on the wiiU

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
hah the same exact thing happened to me! But the wii U is great for everything else wii related. I keep the wii around just for smash. Everything else is played on the wiiU
That's exactly what I intend to do. Thank you for the advice man! You would think someone would have made a device by now that hooks into the front end of the Wii U USB ports and sd slot and gives you 4 GameCube controller ports and an sd slot. That would rake in easy cash. I hope Nintendo enjoys my money. Because surely I'm running out of it lol.

Last edited:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I use a mayflash GC to pc adapter and I do not notice any input delay. Of course we're not talking about the same product, but it is mayflash nonetheless. A Wii would be nice to have though as you can play with other people as opposed to just CPU's unless you were planning on buying multiple adapters. A Wii might cost about the same price though considering how cheap they are nowadays.
It's not the same as a Mayflash adapter for the Wii U as I'm told. PC can function without lag easily with any controller. It's the consoles that bring up controller issues unfortunately.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I already ordered the adapter and I'm waiting for it. I'm going to test it as soon as I get my hands on it. If it has input lag, I'll save it to use the controller on Wii U games compatible with the classic controller but I'll go to a store ASAP or on amazon and get myself a Wii because this is ridiculous and it'd probably be cheaper to just get a Wii for Smash. Plus with the original Wii again(more likely the situation) will have analog support and rumble support as well as the 4 GameCube ports.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Don't mean to spam. But I thought I would update. I got the adapter. It's terrible with non-Wii Motion Plus. I tried it with Wii-Motion plus and have honestly had no problems at all. There's no input delay. The only thing I notice is that the triggers are not seen as analog. I haven't had problems or annoyances with this. I'm fine with it as I think it'll prepare me more in terms of wavedashing, L-canceling, shielding, etc. The port on the adapter where you plug the GameCube controller is very loose when you put the GameCube controller in. What I did was I attached two rubber bands from one side to the other holding the GameCube controller port together more tightly.

I can't afford a Wii right now. I still will play competitively and continue to do so. I'll get a Wii hopefully soon once some income comes my way. Thanks a ton for the feedback though. Much appreciated.

almostdaft

Smash Rookie
NNID
skmaynard
3DS FC
4914-3142-0794
I found that the adapter was terrible with Wii-Motes that were not Nintendo brand.

As for the playing P:M on the Wii U, I don't feel like the difference is all that major opposed to a CRT TV/Wii combo. If you can do that combo, probably your best option, but you can survive competitively by playing on a Wii U/HD TV. Just be ready for the sudden difference of CRT TV, which is rarely a deciding factor in win or lose.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I found that the adapter was terrible with Wii-Motes that were not Nintendo brand.

As for the playing P:M on the Wii U, I don't feel like the difference is all that major opposed to a CRT TV/Wii combo. If you can do that combo, probably your best option, but you can survive competitively by playing on a Wii U/HD TV. Just be ready for the sudden difference of CRT TV, which is rarely a deciding factor in win or lose.
There is no lag on an HDTV on a Wii U. There is no lag on a CRT TV as well. Plus I could always ask for a hand warm up. If it was lagging. I'd be able to tell just by the character selection screen. I'm using Nintendo brand Wii motion plus. Also an official GameCube controller I bought off of amazon for $30. I'm telling you man. There's no lag. None. I played perfectly fine at a recent tournament after I'd been practicing on my Wii U a ton. The transition was seamless. Thanks for the heads up. Just letting you know my experience so far.

Top Bottom