• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Project M on a PAL Wii *UPDATED*

Squelchyman

Smash Cadet
I have gotten it to work up until the USB Loader part. I have a Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 101 G2 and I have tried it in both slots so far but it says "cannot detect USB Drive" or something like that. When I put it in the inner slot, it says "waiting for HDD" or something like that but when I put it in the outmost slot, it goes past "loading USB" and then comes up with the "cannot detect USB Drive" error thingy even though it has detected it. If it helps, the USB flashes when I start up the app like it's being read.

Narpas_sword

ive had the 'cannot detect usb drive' error on 1 usb i've used. couldn't figure a way around it sorry (formatted it multiple ways and times, just wouldnt take)

do you have another to try?

Squelchyman

Smash Cadet
I'm trying a Kingston 32GB DataTraveler 101 G2 as we speak which I just found, I'll give you the results in a minute, thanks for the very quick replies.

GravityZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
TricksterZorua
3DS FC
4382-2023-3008
Hey guys! I'm going to buy very cheap a NTSC copy of Brawl for my Homebrew Wii. Is it possible, if I disable region lock, to play Project M on my PAL Wii? And if so, how can I install it then, with the Homebrew version?

GravityZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
TricksterZorua
3DS FC
4382-2023-3008
personally id rip the ntsc disk using cleanrip and put the iso on usb. USB loading is so much faster than the wii's disc drive.
I know that's possible, but I don't have a big enough USB flash drive or HDD for it, so can I let it run with Gecko OS, like in the past?

Narpas_sword

im honestly not sure how to do it with the actual disc, i know it's possible, my mate does it, just not sure on his setup.

8gb usb drives are like $10 though...

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
It should be possible to just load the disc via Gecko OS or the PM launcher (from the homebrew channel), since neither of those are region-locked, to my knowledge. No other modifications should be necessary.

GravityZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
TricksterZorua
3DS FC
4382-2023-3008
It should be possible to just load the disc via Gecko OS or the PM launcher (from the homebrew channel), since neither of those are region-locked, to my knowledge. No other modifications should be necessary.
Okay then, thank you! I'll use the Gecko OS method then, since I can change video settings of it then. Do I need to change the settings in Gecko to make it working, then?

AdrianGamer23

Smash Rookie
NNID
3DS FC
3093-8165-0249
Switch FC
7293 6736 6112
Ok, here is my problem: I did it all correctly step by step, the game loads correctly when it's starting but then... THE GAME FREEZES IN A WHITE SCREEN, I seriously don't know what I did wrong! Can someone help me please? :-(

Narpas_sword

i love when people ask for help saying 'they did it all correctly'.

Lol, no, you didn't, somethings gone wrong.
We will do our best to help, but the first step is admitting you have a problem.

You're going to have to be more specific than that.

Can you tell us what you're using? what steps you did? if you had any trouble with them? where it freezes?

fatman.spam

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-1985-1832
I have the same problem im using :
8gb wbfs usbdrive with an brawl iso
usb loader GX
3.5 homebrew

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Oh boy, i'm having hell with my Project M PAL Set-Up experience. I've got the SSBB iso playing but not being able to get Project M to run... uuuurgh... troubleshoot please, i've been trying to get PM working for 2 days already!

GravityZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
TricksterZorua
3DS FC
4382-2023-3008
Oh boy, i'm having hell with my Project M PAL Set-Up experience. I've got the SSBB iso playing but not being able to get Project M to run... uuuurgh... troubleshoot please, i've been trying to get PM working for 2 days already!
I'm not experienced with iso's but which type of loader do you use for it? DON'T force a video signal, and use (if it's possible) NextFrameAX.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
I'm not experienced with iso's but which type of loader do you use for it? DON'T force a video signal, and use (if it's possible) NextFrameAX.
USB loader GX, as usual and i use NextFrameAX as the video type. My sd card has the PM 3.6 Homebrew files but whenever i start up the Brawl ISO, it doesn't load Project M. EVEN if i try to delete stages and re-enter stage builder!

GravityZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
TricksterZorua
3DS FC
4382-2023-3008
USB loader GX, as usual and i use NextFrameAX as the video type. My sd card has the PM 3.6 Homebrew files but whenever i start up the Brawl ISO, it doesn't load Project M. EVEN if i try to delete stages and re-enter stage builder!
Hmmm, which other settings do you have activated? Do you have cheats/Ocarina on?

(Sorry if I can't help you, I'm just using an NTSC disc with Priilloader removing region lock, no ISO experience.)

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Oh, this is just perfect. Either the ISO is faultywhich means ANOTHER long-hour download for a better ISO or something went wrong. Or maybe the PM Devs made it difficult to play 3.6 on PAL wiis... intentionally or not...

Last edited:

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
why are you using NextFrameAX? On a wii, VBI works just fine. Also you should try using CFGUsbloader instead of Usb Loader GX. I know that my USB L GX doesn't work for PM and I have to use CFGUsbloader. Make sure to set the video type to Game Default and the turn cheats on every time you load through CFG USB loader though

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
why are you using NextFrameAX? On a wii, VBI works just fine. Also you should try using CFGUsbloader instead of Usb Loader GX. I know that my USB L GX doesn't work for PM and I have to use CFGUsbloader. Make sure to set the video type to Game Default and the turn cheats on every time you load through CFG USB loader though
Did you use an ISO that said NTSC-U when you tried out USB Loader GX?

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
yes
this isn't my first rodeo son
Alright, i just thought it was some other NTSC-U iso that said "USA" instead of NTSC-U. So we've probably got the same iso, i'll take a look at CFGU.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
actually, nevermind. I'll check out CFGU after i've found possible solutions to USBLoader GX and seeing if they succeed.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
why are you using NextFrameAX? On a wii, VBI works just fine.
VBI does work, but from my experiences using AXNextFrame has a much lower chance of intermittent freezing occuring, especially in single player modes. I used to leave it on VBI but have switched to AXNextFrame and it's been better since.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
This is gonna sound like a really dumb question, but would running a copy an NTSC disk of brawl work doing this? Or does it have to be an ISO?

D1RE

Smash Cadet
Just wanted to say thank you to the OP for the good work. This guide made a process I dreaded both quick and pain-free.

FrostyFlakes

Smash Rookie
hi guys i'm in the middle of guide to get PM working but as I was step 8 in 'The Process' which requires the WBFS Manager the link to for it doesn't work or am i tripping balls?

EDIT :
NVM just looked searched up for the website on google and just got it from there cheers for the guide finally works! managed to do it in one go without stuffing up pretty happy :)

Last edited:

Squelchyman

Smash Cadet
I have been sucessful up to the point of turning on ocarina. Whenever I try to turn ocarina on, it comes up with this message:
and it doesn't load Project M. Just incase it's something wrong with my SD Card setup, here's what my SD Card looks like:

Knims11

Smash Rookie
Help me! I'm new here but that's not important. I followed all the steps correctly and the USB Loader GX sees Super Smash Bros. Brawl when I have my USB inserted. It also shows "NTSC U" at the left-upper corner when I'm in list mode. No problems there. Turned Ocarina on, and launched the game. Everything shows up. The Project M logo with "Please tighten your wrist strap". Then the URL of project m shows up, just as it should. And then, a white screen crash kinda like the Kirby's Return to Dreamland white screen freeze, but without sound. Wii doesn't react to anything. I also see a Project M launcher in the Homebrew channel, and I tried that one as well. It shows up a menu with four options: "Start", "Updates", "Addons" and "Exit". when i press start it just takes me back to the home menu. Again, HELP!!!!

EDIT: nvm I downloaded from a different site, use Regionfree and WiiBrickBlocker and downloaded PM again. Everything works great! Thank you for this great tutorial. (It works on CFG USB Loader, not on USB Loader GX)

Last edited:

Knims11

Smash Rookie
I have been sucessful up to the point of turning on ocarina. Whenever I try to turn ocarina on, it comes up with this message:
and it doesn't load Project M. Just incase it's something wrong with my SD Card setup, here's what my SD Card looks like:
I had the same problem, but I fixed that. Now i have another problem though... How I fixed it: DON'T go into Ocarina but go to "Game Load". There should appear a list. The selection most down should say Ocarina. Just click on it with A or 2 until it says On. Once you have done that it SHOULD work. Doesn't for me though...

Last edited:

DoleNath

Smash Rookie
Couldn't get wad to work, but don't really need it and everything else is working fine. Just playing it through homebrew channel. Real nice guide thanks for the help, don't know how much effort this would have been without this. :)

Top Bottom