• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Falco to Melee Falco

Jackson

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I was originally a Brawl player who switched to Project M. I've been maining Falco in there and doing alright. But, after watching the Melee documentary and Melee matches in general, Melee seems a bit more interesting to me. Since I have access to it, I'm gonna pick up Melee and main Falco. What are his differences between Melee and PM, and what are the most important things I'll have to get down to have success with him?

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
IMO PM falco and Melee falco have similar if not identical playstyles. The only difference that I've seen is that PM falco feels klunky to me. Melee falco is much smoother

Jackson

Smash Lord
IMO PM falco and Melee falco have similar if not identical playstyles. The only difference that I've seen is that PM falco feels klunky to me. Melee falco is much smoother
Honestly, I've heard that too and that's the main reason I want to switch. Melee Falco matches seem to have much longer combos compared to PM. It's relieving to hear its similar though.

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
I haven't played much but I'm able to play both versions of Falco pretty much exactly the same. PM Falco just feels like he moves a bit differently, but everything I know about the character carries over.

Jackson

Smash Lord
I haven't played much but I'm able to play both versions of Falco pretty much exactly the same. PM Falco just feels like he moves a bit differently, but everything I know about the character carries over.
Yeah, seems like it. I'm just gonna play him in both like you. But I have to say: Melee Falco feels a bit more fluid and easy to combo with. Just my opinion though.

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
Yeah, seems like it. I'm just gonna play him in both like you. But I have to say: Melee Falco feels a bit more fluid and easy to combo with. Just my opinion though.
Yeah he definitely feels better, and does better, in melee, but I don't think there is any difference to how you actually play him.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Yeah he definitely feels better, and does better, in melee, but I don't think there is any difference to how you actually play him.
Agreed. I still use the same moves and all that. (Although in PM I think his Jab is a lot better, and you have access to techs like RAR and Gatling Combo)

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
Agreed. I still use the same moves and all that. (Although in PM I think his Jab is a lot better, and you have access to techs like RAR and Gatling Combo)
Oh I did forgot about some of the brawl engine stuff, I don't think there are any melee specific techniques. Good luck transitioning :p

TunNel

Smash Rookie
I feel like the actual movement of Falco is different in PM. Try dash dancing in Melee then trying the same thing with PM Falco - you'll see what I mean.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Easier to Multishine lol
That's an untrue myth. It's probably actually very very slightly harder in pm if landing after shine after jumpsquat takes longer. That would mean there would be a longer window for falco to mess up multishine by double jumping out of shine. I'm not sure about that though, since the pm has different landing detection, but it's very likely thanks to the momentum delay.

However a significant difference is that shine turnaround in pm is 1 frame instead of the 3 in melee, which makes getting stuck in shine because of accidentally turning not happen in pm. Also you can of course do faster shine turn aerials.

Last edited:

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
It also has a lot to do with context. If you want to fight PM characters, you should continue with PM Falco and if you want to play a game that rewards offensive play a little more you should try more melee. Ultimately it's whatever's more fun and there's no reason you can't play both.

Jackson

Smash Lord
It also has a lot to do with context. If you want to fight PM characters, you should continue with PM Falco and if you want to play a game that rewards offensive play a little more you should try more melee. Ultimately it's whatever's more fun and there's no reason you can't play both.
Yeah I plan to play both. But to be honest, i'm liking melee at bit more as of late.

FriendGuy

Smash Cadet
I like to play Marth in PM. He transitions more smoothly from game to game for me and I don't have to mess up my melee falco.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, you may want to SHL in Melee a bit to get more used to it. When I played some PM Falco, it felt like the timing is a little different from Melee.

SomethingRaven

Smash Cadet
The fact that pm is a mod of brawl means that the pm and melee falco cant be the same. While I'd agree with most people on this thread I wouldn't advise playing pm falco and expecting to do well as melee falco (and vise versa). Skill will carry over but it won't be 1 to 1.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
If you don't have Netplay or anyone to train with PM Wifi could work but it does take a little time taking use to though

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
I have to agree with you there, I tried both worlds and PM :falco: is just slower and a little wierder to play with.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I feel like PM Falco's jab might be better because of the overall system, but I dunno.
I'm usually able to get more mileage out of it than Melee jab, but outside of that, the only difference is that PM Falco feels a bit more "slippery" and everything feels a lot less strict.
Seems like it's a bit harder to combo, but movement in general comes off as smoother in PM.

Top Bottom