• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M: Cobalt Legacy

Szion

Smash Journeyman
So, I've been urged by my supporters to make a thread on smashboards for this EX build (and a release on brawlvault..), and..well, here it is.

Hello, and welcome to Cobalt Legacy. This deep, advanced nomenclature comes from my favorite shade of blue + the TE CSS menu aesthetic. I'd feel wrong leaving legacy out of the title seeing how much was used from it. Stages (Many non competitive stages have been replaced with their TE competitive alternates, the character costumes, etc)

What this build aims to be is a balanced version of all these EX characters floating around, with the same general smash ruleset for additions.

"Rules":
characters game must have a nintendo console release
characters must originate from a game, not an anime or comic.
In some cases, even if the 2 above criteria are met, if you dont fit in you dont get in.

alright well uh

"features":
Boot directly to CSS
menu music shuffler
items off default/random stagelist legal only
Smash 4 team color auras
Disable character unlock encounters
Fracture Replay Pack (And Character select screen control toggling!)
Z alternate skins for some characters. While i wont add anime movesets, some Z alts will get yer anime fix, i suppose.
Vanilla PM 3.6 cast (if they're not vPM , yer not playin PM the way i see it..)
For a year I've been working on the balance for this build and we're getting closer and closer to competitive variants of alot of these character mods, bringing unique tech and abilities to the table. It is not finished..there are many characters that require better animating, and further balancing, but in its current state, its extremely fun to play and we have a small community on discord for netplay..its a good time, really.

If im being honest, this thread serves two purposes. A: To show the build and grow a larger community. (I just like playing with people, really..) B: A bit of a call for help. For the past 14 months this build has been a 5-16 hour a day nightmare of balancing by myself and there are two things I need to learn: Animating and Announcer call editing. Until I do, if there's anyone out there willing to contribute animation touchups, this build can re-add characters that have recently been cut due to lack of animation completion (Tails,for example) or put that finishing touch on characters that are currently there (Silver, black knight, gray fox). Ideally though, I'd like to ask to have entirely new characters animated, that I would PSA. Krystal comes to mind. We have a model over zelda and a moveset planned but..no one to do it.
Id compensate any takers for their time but it seems our modding community doesnt wanna take monetary compensation for their time. Noble, but inconvenient for talentless folk like me. ohoho. Anyway, thats enough mouthing, here is the brawlvault link. Do keep in mind that brawlvault has rules on what can and cant be there so not everything in the videos will appear in that build.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2l3YMuWfldNdEc2Tmc2RkpyS0E

Whether you wish to contribute, are another player or just strollin by, thanks for looking at us, and thanks for playing.
we have a discord... https://discord.gg/R9HZSsF

Last edited:

Szion

Smash Journeyman

Roster screen, however, X'd characters do not exist in the build.

Last edited:

Gun.Rugger

Smash Cadet
How does one play this on dolphin? Can I use brawl builder to compile it into a single iso like you can with Project M?

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
Chiming in to say this is a great build! I've been using it for about a month - it has an active discord and constant balance patches. The roster has been consolidated into (many) fair, competitive characters and the quality's on the up and up. Szion's real receptive about feedback and it's good to see this get exposure :D

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Awesome build, Szion. :)

Gabriel Rodriguez

Smash Rookie
Is there a tutorial on how to install on the wii (preferably hackless), whenever I go to open up PM after it loads first screen it sends me back to wii menu

gnfz

Smash Rookie
Gabriel Rodriguez Gabriel Rodriguez I don't think anything special is required as compared to vanilla PM. I'm able to play Cobalt Legacy hackless without issue. Maybe there was an issue transferring it to the memory card?

Szion Szion Great work with this build. My crew has exclusively been playing Legacy TE since its release, but we've mixed in Cobalt Legacy a few times since you made this post. It's been a nice shot of variety and I think compliments Legacy TE well. Thanks for the great work.

Gabriel Rodriguez

Smash Rookie
Gabriel Rodriguez Gabriel Rodriguez I don't think anything special is required as compared to vanilla PM. I'm able to play Cobalt Legacy hackless without issue. Maybe there was an issue transferring it to the memory card?

Szion Szion Great work with this build. My crew has exclusively been playing Legacy TE since its release, but we've mixed in Cobalt Legacy a few times since you made this post. It's been a nice shot of variety and I think compliments Legacy TE well. Thanks for the great work.
Do you have any screenshots and step-by-step instructions of how to install it?, I seem to not be able to get Cobalt Legacy or PMEX to work on my wii, it resets to home after the first PM menu. I have a 2gb SD card, the card isn't an issue because regular PM and Legacy TE work perfectly fine (obviously not trying multiple at once).

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Do you have any screenshots and step-by-step instructions of how to install it?, I seem to not be able to get Cobalt Legacy or PMEX to work on my wii, it resets to home after the first PM menu. I have a 2gb SD card, the card isn't an issue because regular PM and Legacy TE work perfectly fine (obviously not trying multiple at once).
well, if you installed regular pm and TE, this...shouldnt be an issue..

the installation method is identical 100%. extract to the SD card, pop it in. of course make sure its a blank SD. it has the exact same specifications of hackless and homebrew, as both versions are included in the DL as one. either will work.

Awesome build, Szion. :)
Embarrass

Szion

Smash Journeyman

No problem at all :)

I have to ask if this is feedback from the brawlvault version or discord version....if thats feedback for brawlvault version BOIDOIHAVENEWS

Last edited:

Gabriel Rodriguez

Smash Rookie
No problem at all :)

I have to ask if this is feedback from the brawlvault version or discord version....if thats feedback for brawlvault version BOIDOIHAVENEWS
Oh then I take it the brawlvault version is garbage? I found your discord link for the download, hopefully it'll work hackless :)

Last edited:

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Oh then I take it the brawlvault version is garbage? I found your discord link for the download, hopefully it'll work hackless :)
indeed it works on hackless and homebrew. if the filesize is too large, feel free to cut music files but im certain u wont have to

Caterkleffy

Smash Rookie
Sorry for being an idiot but if I already have a modded Wii with Homebrew and PM can I still install PMCL on to the same console? Would I just need a new USB? Do you know?

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Characters are missing from my roster when I try playing in Dolphin with a virtual sd card
https://imgur.com/a/QjZfB
These are the steps I followed to make the sd card:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/6jivt3/how_to_get_project_m_ex_running_on_dolphin/

Also, discord link don't work :(
https://discord.gg/RfsDe7h
this one wont expire.

Also we have instructions in our discord

Also thats because you're using the brawlvault version that doesnt have leaks because rules. discord version will have everything including the hd texure pack

Chillx3

Smash Rookie
So.. to play it , i need to have PM3.6 installed on SD and then put the cobalt on SD?
If you already have Project M installed, delete it and download the mod. Project M Cobalt Legacy already comes with Project M

LaurenzTheZero

Smash Rookie
Does this have Legacy TE stage selections with 4 Alts, or is it vPM with 1 alt. I loving this pack and I cannot wait to play it. Thank you man!

A Generic Weegee Main

Smash Rookie
I Need Help...
I Formatted The SD Card To Fat/Fat 32
I Placed The Contents Of The Folder Into The SD Card's Root.
I deleted every single custom map within Brawl.
I deleted some music files (Excluding A, X, W Files) to allow the 2 GB SD Card to hold Project M: Cobalt Legacy
Everything runs perfectly fine... except for the fact that the screen freezes at the "glitched screen" when attempting to start Project M: Cobalt Legacy.
I've tried almost everything. I have done quite a bit of clean re installs and am willing to do even more clean re installs.
Please Respond A.S.A.P.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Does this have Legacy TE stage selections with 4 Alts, or is it vPM with 1 alt. I loving this pack and I cannot wait to play it. Thank you man!
thank YOU for playing

yes it has stage alts. however we're currently trying to use ISO to reduce filesize for dolphin. alot of stage alts that are noncompetitive were axed. some stages altogether

Szion

Smash Journeyman
I Need Help...
I Formatted The SD Card To Fat/Fat 32
I Placed The Contents Of The Folder Into The SD Card's Root.
I deleted every single custom map within Brawl.
I deleted some music files (Excluding A, X, W Files) to allow the 2 GB SD Card to hold Project M: Cobalt Legacy
Everything runs perfectly fine... except for the fact that the screen freezes at the "glitched screen" when attempting to start Project M: Cobalt Legacy.
I've tried almost everything. I have done quite a bit of clean re installs and am willing to do even more clean re installs.
Please Respond A.S.A.P.
this is painful to watch. I have like 0 idea whats going on here. its been years since ive used wii or had expertise on it..i know other users have it working but i cant troubleshoot why it wont work for you :( i am an amateur

w o a g

Smash Rookie
I can't find the link for the Wii Homebrew version. if you know where it is, link it please.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Late but it has 1-4 alts per stage depending on user popularity and preferences

Whitefright

Smash Rookie
Same here with a few other people, when putting the files on a fresh formatted SD card and loading it up, it kicks me back to the Wii homescreen. I play regular PM and Brawl Infinite, I know how to install them but this one won't work for me. I put all files on a freshly formatted SD card, the channel loads to the PM options, I click play then it kicks me back to the Wii main menu.

Edit: Retried everything and it loads, but has glitches & crashes. I reset the card again, copied EVERY file on to the SD card, restarted my Wii & cleaned the disc. It loads, but some characters are missing and there is a glitch on the character select screen. When I loaded Bomberman vs Geno the game froze & crashed. I noticed my name was already in the name list, maybe previous saved data could effect the mod.

Last edited:

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Same here with a few other people, when putting the files on a fresh formatted SD card and loading it up, it kicks me back to the Wii homescreen. I play regular PM and Brawl Infinite, I know how to install them but this one won't work for me. I put all files on a freshly formatted SD card, the channel loads to the PM options, I click play then it kicks me back to the Wii main menu.

Edit: Retried everything and it loads, but has glitches & crashes. I reset the card again, copied EVERY file on to the SD card, restarted my Wii & cleaned the disc. It loads, but some characters are missing and there is a glitch on the character select screen. When I loaded Bomberman vs Geno the game froze & crashed. I noticed my name was already in the name list, maybe previous saved data could effect the mod.
The game will randomly crash on wii for so many unexplained reasons. The files are identical on wii and on dolphin. the dolphin build has been the wii build + a texture pack forever. cant explain why mine doesnt work compared to like, alm's or someone on wii... but the missing characters are missing because brawlvault and rules etc. to be honest this build on brawlvault is an absolute decoy. cant have lyn or knuckles. anyone else missing is a roster decision based on balance (marisa), moveset quality(gray fox, or otherwise community disliked character (megaman =_=) youll need to join the discord to play the "not-decoy" version.

TitanLink

Smash Rookie
Hi bros I got a problem. I recenly installed PM Cobalt Legacy in Dolphin. I put SD.raw in Wii Folder for Dolphin and i put PMNetplayV3.elf in the same folder to SSBB. in Dolphin I check SD cards and i put SSBB to defaul. The problem is when i open PMNetplayV3.elf and appears the Project M menu, but in character menu I have THE NORMAL CHARACTERS !!! (look the photo). I look all the tutorial to how to install ProjectM and the people have all new characters. How I can install the modded characters (cloud, etc.). Please helllp !!! PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU HAVE THE SOLUTION

Last edited:

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
I see you have in OP that you need an animator for Krystal. If you have image references and the model, I'll gladly animate some moves etc. for you. My Wii U is back up and running, so I don't need compensating for it. I only ask that you code and clean up animations since I animate in Brawlbox and have no clue how to save space/code very well outside of Brawlbox.

Top Bottom