• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Box Art (Printable)

Xcissors

Smash Rookie
Here's some cover art based off Melee and Brawl I made.

If you like it, print it out and use it!

I updated the characters from melee with some brawl-looking custom art, and redid the back with a different color scheme but based on the brawl cover. There's also some stuff I added along the bottom.

If you print it at 300 DPI it should fit perfectly and print off on a standard sheet of paper.

Thanks for checking it out! I hope you guys like it. If you have any suggestions on improvements feel free to include them in the thread!

EDIT: Alternate Covers (Previews) (Links to Printable)

No Wifi
M for Manly Wifi
M for Manly No Wifi

Smash Logo On Top:
Wifi
No Wifi
M for Manly Wifi
M for Manly No Wifi

Wallpaper 1920 x 1080

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
No M for manly rating 4/10

But seriously, good job on the box art. I like it.

Xcissors

Smash Rookie
Sure! I started with a Wii Cover Template from DeviantArt, which I edited to look like Brawl's cover art. This basically meant choosing what I wanted from what the template had. I then modified it to be fit better with the dark blue theme I was going for. The lines and text have all been made a nice shade of greyish blue, and what was normally red was changed to a less impactful shade of purple. I also added credits, links, and instructions to the piece. Unfortunately, this also meant that the box art is very English. I hope that's not a problem, but I can always make another version for other languages. The place where barcodes go was replaced with a QR code to my VGBoxArt profile. No shame in self-promotion, right?

After I finished all the base stuff, I started on the front cover. I first was going to try and replicate Brawls 'walking away from light' cover, but it was pretty hard to do. It didn't look good, and I couldn't find any nice renders to go with it. I decided that replicating Melee's cover with Brawl's aesthetic would be better. Renders restricted how good it looked and the angles from which I present the picture, so I used a more artsy, handmade look. The four characters were all mouse-painted using photoshop over the original Melee artwork. Bowser was given a more Brawlish look, and Pikachu's ears were changed to his ears in Brawl's cover. Link was also a major change, as I basically had to repaint Twilight Princess link onto adult link from Oot. Mario basically stayed the same. Every character was then accented with quick brushstrokes to give a sense of movement. I didn't include eyes because artistic license, I guess.

The background is a very blurred Battlefield, and I added a deep shade of blue and a hexagonal patterned texture. The blandness of the background, I find, helps the eyes focus on the characters and went well with the logo. The icons were then added in place of melee's eyes. They're nice and aesthetically pleasing and not very distracting. I added a few more to reflect the entire roster as well as to fill some space. Shadows and dust were also added to give some extra grit and cement the characters onto the background. Otherwise they looked very paper pop-up like. The characters are also smaller than Melee's, but that's only because of my preference.

The back is based heavily on Brawl's back. I found the font Project M used for the menus, and found another font I liked for the rest. I made a color scheme based on light blue and dark blue. It's sort of an opposite of Brawl's Black and White-yellow color scheme. I found some screenshots and put them together with words I think would be used to advertise Project M. For Mewtwo and Roy, I had to find a nice horizontal picture and the official renders. Extracting them from the background was a little bit tiring, but it paid off. You'll notice that Roy's example image is of his yellow alternate color, because that was the best one I could find. Mewtwo's screenshot was taken from his Turbo video.

Alternate costumes were a little harder to pin down. I didn't really know how I wanted to present it. First, I took them and had them with backgrounds, all nice and horrid looking. Scrapped that pretty quickly. In the end I decided the characters with some shadows in some sort of organization would be nicer, and it worked. The rest was just finding the pictures, writing the words, and making small adjustments such as adding backgrounds and such.

That's about it. There are some other small touches here and there, but it's pretty boring. I also had to create a 3D mockup of the cover art using Photoshop, which resulted in the pretty looking thing you see above.
If you want to create your own box art, VG Box Art is a good place to go. You should probably have a good understanding of photoshop or another image editor though.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
No icon in the upper right on the back for GameCube controller compatibility, btw.

Hopefully this doesn't sound blunt, cuz this looks damn rad otherwise. I'd print it but I want paper like the covers use not regular printer paper.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
How did you make the template scale larger? The icons in your boxart are several times larger then the icons in the template.

Xcissors

Smash Rookie
How did you make the template scale larger? The icons in your boxart are several times larger then the icons in the template.
The actual psd you can download off the side is much larger. 300 dpi and completely vector.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
I love this!

Do you have a version / template without any of the extra pictures added? I would like to add custom pictures to the back for my own personal use.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
This is gah-like. Will you ever think about making a version for USB Loaders? If so, I can provide the pictures needed.

Xcissors

Smash Rookie
No icon in the upper right on the back for GameCube controller compatibility, btw.

Hopefully this doesn't sound blunt, cuz this looks damn rad otherwise. I'd print it but I want paper like the covers use not regular printer paper.

I've updated that! Thanks for noticing!

Xcissors

Smash Rookie
This is gah-like. Will you ever think about making a version for USB Loaders? If so, I can provide the pictures needed.

If I'm correct, you need the full, the 3D image, the disk, and the front. The printable has both the front and the full, and I think you'll be able to create the 3D image from that, but I haven't created disk art.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Do you know of a way to replicate 300 DPI with paint.net and a Canon MG3200 Printer?

EDIT: There`s probably no way to "replicate" DPI, I don`t even know what DPI means.

Xcissors

Smash Rookie
Do you know of a way to replicate 300 DPI with paint.net and a Canon MG3200 Printer?

EDIT: There`s probably no way to "replicate" DPI, I don`t even know what DPI means.
300 DPI means Dots Per Inch (I think). It basically means the number of dots you have in an inch, which is the resolution. More DPI is more resolution.
Your printer can print up to 4800 x 1200 DPI2, so you don't have to worry about it. Just download the printable and print it correct size. It should fit a cover perfectly after cutting.

If you want to make your own wii cover you can start with http://vgboxart.com/resource/1861/nintendo-wii-template/
This is a really simple template, but you can still customize what's under it to an extent. There are a whole buncha other templates available on the resources section of that site, so go wild.

Have fun!

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I Hope you don't mind me suggesting that you change the Title to
"Super Smash Brothers Project M"

I mean everyone who plays project M knows what it is, but from an outward view, people might not know that it's a Super Smash Brothers game.

The more I think about it, the more I really want it to say Super Smash Brothers on it.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
300 DPI means Dots Per Inch (I think). It basically means the number of dots you have in an inch, which is the resolution. More DPI is more resolution.
Your printer can print up to 4800 x 1200 DPI2, so you don't have to worry about it. Just download the printable and print it correct size. It should fit a cover perfectly after cutting.

If you want to make your own wii cover you can start with http://vgboxart.com/resource/1861/nintendo-wii-template/
This is a really simple template, but you can still customize what's under it to an extent. There are a whole buncha other templates available on the resources section of that site, so go wild.

Have fun!
Ok, thanks. I thought DPI was a photoshop feature or something.

Xcissors

Smash Rookie
I Hope you don't mind me suggesting that you change the Title to
"Super Smash Brothers Project M"

I mean everyone who plays project M knows what it is, but from an outward view, people might not know that it's a Super Smash Brothers game.

The more I think about it, the more I really want it to say Super Smash Brothers on it.
I've gotten a few requests to do this now. I'm not going to do this today (lazy), but maybe I'll make a version with that tommorrow or later this week.

210stuna

Smash Lord
I approve, I don't have anything fancy, but a printer so I hope it works.

I'll probably be using Word or the default picture viewing software in my laptops

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That Turbo screenshot is outdated. Use the one from the PM release post.

EDIT: Oh god, that credits list is really outdated.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
What do you want in it/ not want?
Just most of the ingame shots removed, and maybe the alternate costumes removed. All the text can stay the same and the Mewtwo / Roy renders in the middle can stay. I just wanna replace those pictures with things I have in my build. :)

210stuna

Smash Lord
Good use of the "Super Smash Bros." into the title/side

Good choice of stages to display, and CSS

Alternate costumes look a bit cluttered and does not accurately represent vP:M 3.0 with having Other: M Samus and Mega Lucario/Mewtwo
Why is there two Jigglypuffs? You could have added Pikachu's pirate hat costume in front/back of her or something

No Manly rating

You got some good and bad, but I still like it.
This is good, if it was made just for you

EDIT: I didn't even notice the Roy swap, very nice.

Xcissors

Smash Rookie
Thank you! :)

This is what I did with the template, it doesn't look like much but it adds a lot to me atleast.

I'm gonna keep updating it as time passes to reflect my build (mainly the alternate costumes). I can't print it out yet, but updating it is really fun.
I'd love it if you could send me that Roy Screenshot. Mine, as you can see, is of an alternate costume. If that screenshot is correct for the standard build of Project M that is.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Thank you! :)

This is what I did with the template, it doesn't look like much but it adds a lot to me atleast.

I'm gonna keep updating it as time passes to reflect my build (mainly the alternate costumes). I can't print it out yet, but updating it is really fun.
I was about to get on you for putting in Mega Lucario and Mega Mewtwo but this is your own personal build.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
Good use of the "Super Smash Bros." into the title/side

Good choice of stages to display, and CSS

Alternate costumes look a bit cluttered and does not accurately represent vP:M 3.0 with having Other: M Samus and Mega Lucario/Mewtwo
Why is there two Jigglypuffs? You could have added Pikachu's pirate hat costume in front/back of her or something

No Manly rating

You got some good and bad, but I still like it.
This is good, if it was made just for you

EDIT: I didn't even notice the Roy swap, very nice.
I was about to get on you for putting in Mega Lucario and Mega Mewtwo but this is your own personal build.
The alternate costume's mainly represent my personal build and stuff. As I said, it's mainly for me personally, just wanted to share it.

I'd love it if you could send me that Roy Screenshot. Mine, as you can see, is of an alternate costume. If that screenshot is correct for the standard build of Project M that is.
That picture is of the real Roy included in Project M.
Here it is:
Here's a different version of the edited boxart that has just the Alternate Costumes included with Project M 3.0.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I know it's yours. But do you think you might be open to the suggestion of making the super smash brothers logo bigger and further down, while making the Project M logo smaller?

Something like....

and

210stuna

Smash Lord
I know it's yours. But do you think you might be open to the suggestion of making the super smash brothers logo bigger and further down, while making the Project M logo smaller?
This is a good suggestion.
(Although I think the OP stated he made the 4 characters smaller in comparison to Melee's
It's a matter of preference. I think a median would of making the characters a tad bigger and the font sizes changed bigger and smaller would balance it out.)

Also the no Wi-Fi icon..Please...

Options are always good...Right?

Xcissors

Smash Rookie

He can't really do it, because he can't use the PSD file. I did this, so if you like this go with it. Printable here

Xcissors

Smash Rookie
This is a good suggestion.
(Although I think the OP stated he made the 4 characters smaller in comparison to Melee's
It's a matter of preference. I think a median would of making the characters a tad bigger and the font sizes changed bigger and smaller would balance it out.)

Also the no Wi-Fi icon..Please...

Options are always good...Right?
I've done a large update with a bunch of alternate covers on the top of the thread. There are a total of 8 ones I've made to choose from so far.
There are options for no more Wi-fi icons and M for manly covers for both Smash Logo and no Smash Logo versions.

Top Bottom