• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Programmable A.I.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Don't discuss anything other than an AI editor, there have already been threads for "learning" AI, so don't bring it up.

I'm sure everyone will agree, that pitting yourself against the same patterns of attacks begins to get quite lame after a while. Also, I know that "learning AI" has been a suggestion, but creating such a thing would be very strenuous on the SSBB programmers.

What I am suggesting is that a new feature in SSBB should be a CPU editor, or maybe even an extension that could be downloaded via the Wii Shop. With this feature, the programmers won't have to worry about making smart CPUs, because their would be an abundance of user defined CPU patterns that would make a perfect substitute. Users will be able to download CPUs from other users, and then, using a CPU random selection function, fight a CPU which has patterns that are unfamiliar to the player. This function should also be able to work in real time, to randomly select a CPU pattern set mid-battle (from specified categories, like easy, medium, Hard, Very Hard, and so on).

Although this wouldn't be intelligence, it would be a great simulation and give the difficulty professionals need.

BTW, what I figure the CPU editor should control, is basically just which vicinities and frames, and various circumstances (Death of an opponent, position of an item, stage, etc) that a "virtual button" should be entered.

Please give feedback.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
That sounds like a ***** to code as an add-on. Now if the CPU naturally adapted to your playstyle, that would be different. What I mean is that, regardless of difficuly level, the CPU 'records' what buttons you press, what skills you do, in essence your play style (sans the metagame). Lvl 9 A.I. would take all of this information and act according to your playstyle, if you do Adv Techs, the CPU will also. I could see it being hard coded into the highest CPU levels, but not as any sort of downloabable add-on. At least if it was hardcoded already, there wouldn't be any bug worries. An editor, I just don't see as feasable, at least not in the way described, I do like the underlying idea, though

Sorry,but as I learned from Lunin,this theory is impossible to grasp.Unless the Wii has a secondary storage system specifically made for that purpose,it wouldn't be possible.

AI will always remain stupid.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
What i dont get about melee's AI is why you can beat them just by letting them walk right at you and c-sticking forward smashes. They just walk into smashes casually, every god**** time, even at level 9 except at level 9 theyll powershield everything you throw at them.

SSB's ai was cool, easy but cool, they would do short hops, and l cancels. They just lacked di, and if you even touched them slightly on recovery they just ''give up'' and dont even try using their up b again, even when they can clearly make it back to the stage.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
What i dont get about melee's AI is why you can beat them just by letting them walk right at you and c-sticking forward smashes. They just walk into smashes casually, every god**** time, even at level 9 except at level 9 theyll powershield everything you throw at them.

SSB's ai was cool, easy but cool, they would do short hops, and l cancels. They just lacked di, and if you even touched them slightly on recovery they just ''give up'' and dont even try using their up b again, even when they can clearly make it back to the stage.

I agree with what he said, especially the SSB AI giving up part.

About the programmable AI, isn't there something like that in Virtua Fighter 4, where you can make the AI fight like you did, and save it to your memory card, so if you lend your friends the memory card it's like they are playing you without you being there?

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
I agree with what he said, especially the SSB AI giving up part.

About the programmable AI, isn't there something like that in Virtua Fighter 4, where you can make the AI fight like you did, and save it to your memory card, so if you lend your friends the memory card it's like they are playing you without you being there?
It's the same idea, yeah

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Games have stupid AI because AI is an extremely difficult problem. Having a degree in computer science and having studied AI systems, I can assure you AI is a secondary concern to the Brawl programmers. They will make it as good as they can in the short time they are allowed, but there are so many other important factors with the game that AI will almost always take a back seat (character balancing and bug testing to name the BIG two).

There's a reason VF4 was so unique in its AI system... it was very hard and time consuming to do. It's also hard for there to be "learning AI" when we will no doubt use tricks like wavedashing... things the developers don't know about at the time and can't program into their learning algorithm.

Besides, who here still fights the AI from Melee with any seriousness? It's just not a big concern to them, past getting it "pretty good".

darkshy

Smash Ace
I like that idea especially the part about sending to freinds. But why send via Wii shop? Why not via Wi-Fi? I mean the possibilities could be endless but then how can you choose?

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Many of you seem to forget that AI is very difficult to program. Games that contain enemies with good AI are often praised just for that.

There are more games nowadays that have CPUs going around doing fakeout tactics, which is awesome. However in a fighting game it is different because you both start out equally on the scale. This is different from say Resident Evil, where you don't know where a zombie is about to jump out but the computer knows when you step in his range so that it can attack.

Also, as smart as a cpu becomes, you have to remember what Morpheus said to Neo in the original Matrix about Agents. Sure they can Powershield projectiles all the time, and below a certain percent they always meteor cancel, but they are limited to rules. As humans, we have the ability to bend some of these rules, and break others ^_^

Top Bottom