• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ProController will not work for SSBB

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/10/1...on-one-charge-doesnt-work-with-any-wii-games/

What do you think about this guys?
I don't know you but I'm hugely pissed off right now. My Wii doesn't read Brawl anymore, so I was looking forward to re-play it on my Wii U with the ProController. I still have two pair of wiimote + nunchucks but I don't really get why this bull****. Now I have no interest whatsoever to buy the controller. This is ****ed up.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
When has a gaming controller EVER been backwards compatible with another console?

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
To be fair, it does last for 80 hours, which is a hell of a long time.

Still, it's a new console, at least they're giving the option of bringing some of the Wii's controllers over. I understand in your case with the whole not being able to read the disc thing, but I don't get why people get so worked up over the newer console not being backwards compatible with games and accessories.

It's still playable with the remote and nunchuck though, right? It's obviously not so great for tourney players/more serious players, but aside from some advanced techniques being harder if not impossible to do the games still playable.

When has a gaming controller EVER been backwards compatible with another console?
I'm sure the original PSOne controller and the Dualshock worked on the PS2, and the GC controller worked on the pre late 2011 Wii's (the ones that removed backwards compatibility).

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
To be fair, it does last for 80 hours, which is a hell of a long time.

Still, it's a new console, at least they're giving the option of bringing some of the Wii's controllers over. I understand in your case with the whole not being able to read the disc thing, but I don't get why people get so worked up over the newer console not being backwards compatible with games and accessories.

It's still playable with the remote and nunchuck though, right? It's obviously not so great for tourney players/more serious players, but aside from some advanced techniques being harder if not impossible to do the games still playable.

I'm sure the original PSOne controller and the Dualshock worked on the PS2, and the GC controller worked on the pre late 2011 Wii's (the ones that removed backwards compatibility).
I mean the other way around, like PS2 to PSX, like this guy wants right now.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Yeah, but remember that the Wii and its controllers cannot be used to play GameCube games (not that someone would use the Wiimote for Melee), so I believe that's the issue Vintage Creep is addressing. Personally, this isn't a surprise, as the Wii U's controllers are made with Wii U games in mind; not the Wii's.

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I really didn't think that the Wii U Controller Pro would ever be backwards compatible, seeing as it's a Wii U accessory. Wii titles can only use Wii accessories (with some exceptions), and GameCube titles can only use GameCube accessories.

Basically, when buying Wii titles, the back of the cover tends to tell you what controllers can be used, and seeing as the Wii U Pro Controller was made after Brawl, there's no way that it would be usable with that game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't think that's necessarily the case here. A Wiimotion+ controller will still be recognized by games that just need the regular version, am I right? This might be a similar case where the Wii U controllers can substitute for the Wii controllers.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
You can still use a classic controller can't you?

Classic controller pro is pretty nice and not too far off from this or the GC

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
OK but then what's the point? It's like admitting that the ProController is made for games that will not use the feautures of the tablet... Not a good sign

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Can't you just use Classic Controller Pro for SSBB? Then again, I don't know if that works on Wii U.

It's not surprising the Wii U Pro Controller wouldn't work for Wii games, anyways. I was expecting that.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Isn't the Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro the same thing? ._.
Edit: The only difference is the buttons switched around, and one is wireless.

Still pretty dumb that it doesn't work with Wii games...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Can't you just use Classic Controller Pro for SSBB? Then again, I don't know if that works on Wii U.
As a matter of fact, all Wii controllers and accessories (including the Classic Controller) will work on the Wii U, so for those who are already used to playing with a Classic Controller (Vermanubis comes to mind), playing Brawl on the Wii U wouldn't be an issue at all.

:phone:

Jonas

Smash Champion
I mean the other way around, like PS2 to PSX, like this guy wants right now.
Are you serious? PS1 games work just fine on PS2 and PS3 with their respective controllers. This is some really basic stuff, and if you can't play Wii games with the Pro controller, it's just Nintendo being ******** again.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't see why this is such a big deal. Most of us that own Wii games probably already own all the accesories we need to play them. Yeah, it would be kinda cool to have just one controller you went to for Wii and Wii U games, but...eh.

I'm much more upset at the lack of Gamecube controller ports, as there were several Wii games that used those, so Nintendo is limiting their backward compatibility.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Exactly, I have a bunch of Gamecube controllers, but obviously I can't use them. If Brawl still worked on my Wii there wouldn't be such a problem, but now I have to buy the Classic Pro Controller, and for each of them I need a Wiimote right? That's ****ed up I need 4 wiimotes and 4 classic controllers... Total 160 $ at least, considering I have already two wiimotes...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Exactly, I have a bunch of Gamecube controllers, but obviously I can't use them. If Brawl still worked on my Wii there wouldn't be such a problem, but now I have to buy the Classic Pro Controller, and for each of them I need a Wiimote right? That's ****ed up I need 4 wiimotes and 4 classic controllers... Total 160 $ at least, considering I have already two wiimotes...
It's not even just the traditional games. My sister owns a few DDR games for the wii, and the dance pad for those uses the GC ports. She wouldn't be able to play those on the Wii U.

jigglover

Smash Lord
And you can't play wii fit either, the balance board won't work! :troll:
Anyway, I don't see the issue TBH, especially for you Vintage, is it that hard to just go and buy SSBB on Ebay or something? Certainly less than 160 bucks...

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
And you can't play wii fit either, the balance board won't work! :troll:
Anyway, I don't see the issue TBH, especially for you Vintage, is it that hard to just go and buy SSBB on Ebay or something? Certainly less than 160 bucks...
The problem is not the disc, is the Wii itself.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
There's not much reason to be too annoyed here. Classic Controllers wouldn't work with Gamecube games. And you can always play Brawl on your Wii U with a Classic Controller. It can do anything the GCN controller does.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
There's always the "use a new playstyle option" I switched immediately at Brawl, and I stand up to everyone else using the gamecube controllers. I win most of the time too. It's like switching from 64 to melee, wasnt that big of a deal. Just put a few days, maybe just 2-3 hours to get used to controls, a little extra to learn ATs. You'll be fine, you can switch the controls around for it still to work. Promise, I did it. So can you

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
dont scare me like that!

when I first glanced at the title I thought it said "WiiU pro controller will not work for SSB4"

but yeah, this still is dumb.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
As long as I have my "GameCube with motion controls (console)," my copy of Brawl, a few GameCube controllers, and the ability to mod all of that, I'm good! awesome:
Are you serious? PS1 games work just fine on PS2 and PS3 with their respective controllers. This is some really basic stuff, and if you can't play Wii games with the Pro controller, it's just Nintendo being ******** again.
It's all about the money. That's also why the PS4 and Xbox spin around twice might have a feature that prevents gamers from playing used games... :urg: :mad: :glare:

...or as I call it, a gametatership! :grin:

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
I think its sort of expected personally as long as it works for ssb4 im fine with that. Although I wish i could still use my GC controller on ssb4 Now that would be nice.

UltimateLoser

Smash Rookie
There's always the "use a new playstyle option" I switched immediately at Brawl, and I stand up to everyone else using the gamecube controllers. I win most of the time too. It's like switching from 64 to melee, wasnt that big of a deal. Just put a few days, maybe just 2-3 hours to get used to controls, a little extra to learn ATs. You'll be fine, you can switch the controls around for it still to work. Promise, I did it. So can you
Agreed with this.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Agreed with this.
64 controllers to GC was an improvement. Wii U/CC/CCP Controller only adds an extra shoulder button to a 7 button controller on a 3 button game for completely ****ing up the way you use your button layout and/or taking out analog shoulder buttons. Don't even get me started on the Wii Remote. Why would I waste my time relearning a game on an inferior controller when I can get better at the game and not have to make drastic adjustments every time I want to play the prequels?

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Wiichucks weren't garbage. They allowed you to have two functions besides mobility handled by your left hand.

grizby2

Smash Lord
for me, the nunchuck was as far from a controller that a controller could ever be.
im used to having my hands being stable and uniform.
i respect nintendo for being inovative, but when i used the nunchuck for the first time, it was like someone took a perfectly good taco, ripped it in half, handed it to me and told me to eat both halves simutaniously with both my hands.:urg:
they are still USEABLE though, unlike dreamcast ones. :smirk:

jackpot brings up a good point. smash bros has a weird tendency to use a new controller for every new game it releases. we've been playing with normal-looking controllers for YEARS, so i dont see the problem with keeping them.
its a conspiracy man. :awesome:

Top Bottom