• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problems...

Game&Watch

Smash Rookie
Who else would a R.O.B. player be good with. character wise. because i play R.O.B. well but i can't seem to take it to the point where i would be able to beat my friends... they play snake and falco well... i was just curious as to if there is possibly a character that is similar to R.O.B. but quicker... or better against camp players ect. Thanks for any answers

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
go MK.

ok seriously. how badly are you losing? just study your opponent so you can punish better. use better counterpicks to take advantage of their weaknesses. if its i have marf he does well but it takes alot of practice to get used to the tippers and swordancing shenanigans.

be patient, ROB has the tools, just dont rush it. use the stickies to ask your questions next time :)

oh and you should have some videos for the other ROBbers to help you out

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
I find a key trait to success with ROB is adopting the correct mentality for each matchup. An example is Lucario, where ROB plays keep-away until 130-40%, and then plays relatively aggressively for a kill with N-Air or F-Smash. For Snake, try to laser the grenades and edgeguard aggressively. For Falco, keep it close to the body and don't let yourself get bogged down by lasers. I'm not really a paragon of ROB advice (I only wrote a bunch of stuff for the guide) when it comes to matchups.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
What these guys have been saying. But in reality, you DO need a secondary unless you main a top tier, and even then you need to be really good. My secondaries are: Fox, Falco, and Snake. I find Snake and Falco covers my weaknesses well as they both do well against my most frustrating opponent, MK.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
I secondary nobody, because ROB and I love butthole so it was meant to be.

In all seriousness, I never really faced serious enough competition to ever have to get off my ROB. It is because I am a big frog in a little pond right now.

Sudai

Stuff here
So I was gonna be lazy and show you a video of me vs a campy falco, but apparently I don't have any..sooo..I'll try to get some recorded tomorrow since I'm already gonna be playing them to show Curlz how to do it.

TEECO

Smash Ace
No, no character is similar to ROB.

If you were decent in this game, you would have a pretty good idea on how every other chracter is played/capable of.

Just keep practicing man, watch some videos (SUDAI said he would post some) and learn the match ups.
You dont need a different character for those two match ups.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Diddy Kong.
It's like having two Gyros that trip. Good stuff there.
Peanut Popgun isn't a good laser replacement though x_x
But his combos are so much fun to do.

And most of it really depends on your personality, you may find you have an awesome Dedede or something. Just mess around with the characters until you find one you have fun with.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Diddy Kong.
It's like having two Gyros that trip. Good stuff there.
Peanut Popgun isn't a good laser replacement though x_x
But his combos are so much fun to do.

And most of it really depends on your personality, you may find you have an awesome Dedede or something. Just mess around with the characters until you find one you have fun with.

This. Sometimes, odd things can just... click. Like, I seriously can do better as like Ness vs some MUs than as ROB. I don't consider Ness a secondary by any means... just mentioning it to show that you may not want to go "by the book" when looking for a secondary.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
MK isn't always the best secondary. Some characters have bigger advantages over ROB's bad matches. Like said before, Diddy is a good option.

Top Bottom