• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problems with fox

ThAtMoos3Guy

Smash Cadet
I've got a friend who plays as fox, and I've had a very tough time fighting him. My normal approach is a shffled nair. Unfortunately it seems that fox's nair can beat through mine. Then he hits me with a waveshine. Usually ending in an upsmash or a shine spike. I've tried to use more grabs, but it's hard to shield grab fox, and he's just as fast as falcon. He's also pretty good at dodging raptor boosts. If I hang back and dashdance he peppers me with lazer fire. What's a good technique for fighting fox's? Thanks for any help! I'll try and take some videos.

JoyfulDoom

Smash Apprentice
Slightly off topic, but how do you fight a fox that isn't good? I mean.. they roll all the time (no wavedashing skill what-so-ever) which is very annoying and once they finally wear you down on the percentages, they keep you airborne. How do you stop a fox who rolls alot and also takes advantage of his speed, is what I'm really asking.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Slightly off topic, but how do you fight a fox that isn't good? I mean.. they roll all the time (no wavedashing skill what-so-ever) which is very annoying and once they finally wear you down on the percentages, they keep you airborne. How do you stop a fox who rolls alot and also takes advantage of his speed, is what I'm really asking.
Predict where he's going to roll, and then SHFFL a stomp/knee/grab. You can chain grab him a bit since he won't DI, and "tech"chasing is easy, too. If he techs, well then techchase! If he doesn't, then it's even easier.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
video recommendation?

isai vs pc chris
silentspectre vs luninspectra
mach dash (japanese falcon) also has many videos of fast-faller ****.

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
Use Dair a lot
good comboer
being able to gentleman to get away from them is a lot of help
play defensively, not rush with nair
if you make him come to you have more options

JoyfulDoom

Smash Apprentice
I try to play like Mach since he's basically my hero, and I think he is Kansai like me, but I just can't overcome space animals that roll alot for some reason. I mean, its like to the point that they roll instead of dashing and they run around to get away from you.. just like a real fox >_>.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
If they are rolling that much then you should be able to do something about it. They can only roll forwards or backwards so every once in a while do a stomp in one of those place. Pretty much captain falcons game against space animals is tech chasing. It may be hard to get a grab, but usually when captain falcon lands one it is devistating as long as you can tech chase. I can't stress how important it is that you master that in order to stand a chance against space animals.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Grab him when he rolls, you run faster than him, and then just techchase him all over and if he's really bad you can start kneeing out of the techs :)

I've got a friend who plays as fox, and I've had a very tough time fighting him. My normal approach is a shffled nair. Unfortunately it seems that fox's nair can beat through mine. Then he hits me with a waveshine. Usually ending in an upsmash or a shine spike. I've tried to use more grabs, but it's hard to shield grab fox, and he's just as fast as falcon. He's also pretty good at dodging raptor boosts. If I hang back and dashdance he peppers me with lazer fire. What's a good technique for fighting fox's? Thanks for any help! I'll try and take some videos.
The second hit of your nair should stuff Fox up pretty good, work on your timing, and start it while he's in some kind of lag so that he can't immediately respond. In general in if you're having troubles like that you gotta work on your spacing and timing.

It also sounds like you're just throwing stuff at him being all like OMG get the combo. Adopt a more precise style, and go for grabs at low percents, stomps and nairs at medium percents (often will lead to more grabs and sometimes knees), and KO grab combos at high percents. Also, work on your combos and your tech-chasing off of all of your attacks, because you generally want to apply maximum **** when you do get that grab/Nair/stomp in.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
go for stomps and nairs that land behind him so that you cant be shieldgrabbed, at the very least you pressure his shield but yeah as people have said tech chasing is one of falcon's biggest assets... after u-throw, regrab or wd backwards to regrab, dd regrab, mixing in standing stomps and isai stomps, kneeing if he doesnt tech after d-throw, tech chase with raptor boost, sorry im just listing things

SCOTU

Smash Hero
hit a stomp at 75%-80% and follow w/ a FALCON PUNCH.

Oh, and space your nairs so that the tips of the kicks are at the fox, edgeguard w/ dtilt>knee or downward angled ftilt if the try to sweespot, dsmash an illusion just above edge level, knee anything above ground level.

Actually, i'm just saying what i remember falcons doing to me. Although i third falcon, i haven't played the match much.

punisher47

Smash Journeyman
alright bro. many falcons have problems with fox and many have diffrent ways they fight fox. well a really good falcon that does well against fox is darkrain. his falcon is like an anti fox/falco so check out some of his vids along with silent spectre. both are very good when it comes to fox/falco.

go2chutch

Smash Cadet
tech chasing is your most valuable asset against space animals but in order to get to that point you need to land a hit. unlike falco with fox you have some room to work with, you have to go to him because of his lasers but hes not even likely to fire them at you since falcon can punish fox lasers to an absurd degree. your problem with fox is that he out prioritizes your attacks and the solution lies in your spacing. falcons nair when properly spaced is just short of the range of a tipper (ive just barely missed several times to eat tippers so im pretty sure thats a valid claim) and though it doesnt out prioritize foxes nair, if his hitbox doesnt even reach you it does. at low percentages you can nair into a grab and at high you can go into the techchase game. fox is one of falcon's worst matchups so don't be suprised if your losing to your friends if your not playing this right.

edge guard is also an important factor. if you see him charging firefox down below and isnt going to sweetspot under any conditions, charge that elbow up. if hes charging slightly above the stage hit him with a well spaced upair. charging below you can also use non proced knee. if hes going for the ledge your uptilt works wonders. you'll fuc this up at first but once you get the hang of edge guarding foxes and flacos your gimp game goes up alot.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Stomp => knee 60ish.
Stomp => raptor boost => knee 40ish
Uthrow => knee 90ish
dtilt => knee 100ish

Jump off the stage and bair or weak knee him out of his Firefox. Stomp if he tries to sweet spot. On approach stomp is your friend.

I like stomping.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
dair+knee works great in this matchup.Tech punish him if you can.Mindgames can help if your fighting a fast fox player.

Top Bottom