• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problems I need to work on.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
I have a list of things wrong with my Bowser game that I should shape up to some extent before GiGa. These range form Defensive to Offense problems. Mainly dealing with Defensive maneuvering.

Defensive problems I have:

-I cannot stop rolling: I have relapsed into this phase again, where rolling is my main tactic for ground defensive, we all know this one gets old quick, and will end me at GiGa in the first round if I don't shape up at least in some part if not fully.

- I cannot Shield effectively: This has been defensive problem Numero Uno for me. Whenever I shield in play here at home, I usually get grabbed out of it and thrown, or I time it badly and get hit anyway, this will also be my downfall if I don't do something about it.

-I CANNOT Power Shield: Lets face it, anyone whom has played me (or even remembers playing me) will tell you my power shielding skill is nonexistent for the most part, and rarely ever happens for me because it stems from the ineffectiveness with the above.

-My AD is sloppy and horrendously timed: Another killer, I usually AD too early or late for it to be any good.

Offensive Problems I have:

-I want to PG (Pivot Grab)!: Pivot Grabbing, I think, is one of my bigger banes, especially with Lucario more so than Bowser, I have ZERO confidence that it will work because it usually doesn't.

- Too LATE!: I usually attack a little well when offline, but in Online, my timing is messed up by the lag and I have a hard time adjusting to it.

- Priority Numero Uno!: I usually get beat out by higher priority moves, because I don't know which moves would clank/ override with which opponent's attack.

Up-B: When grounded, I almost never use it, I only use it for recovery purposes only.

Anyone have any good advice for me to put into my practicing offline?

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
I have a list of things wrong with my Bowser game that I should shape up to some extent before GiGa. These range form Defensive to Offense problems. Mainly dealing with Defensive maneuvering.

Defensive problems I have:

-I cannot stop rolling: I have relapsed into this phase again, where rolling is my main tactic for ground defensive, we all know this one gets old quick, and will end me at GiGa in the first round if I don't shape up at least in some part if not fully.

- I cannot Shield effectively: This has been defensive problem Numero Uno for me. Whenever I shield in play here at home, I usually get grabbed out of it and thrown, or I time it badly and get hit anyway, this will also be my downfall if I don't do something about it.

-I CANNOT Power Shield: Lets face it, anyone whom has played me (or even remembers playing me) will tell you my power shielding skill is nonexistent for the most part, and rarely ever happens for me because it stems from the ineffectiveness with the above.

-My AD is sloppy and horrendously timed: Another killer, I usually AD too early or late for it to be any good.

Offensive Problems I have:

-I want to PG (Pivot Grab)!: Pivot Grabbing, I think, is one of my bigger banes, especially with Lucario more so than Bowser, I have ZERO confidence that it will work because it usually doesn't.

- Too LATE!: I usually attack a little well when offline, but in Online, my timing is messed up by the lag and I have a hard time adjusting to it.

- Priority Numero Uno!: I usually get beat out by higher priority moves, because I don't know which moves would clank/ override with which opponent's attack.

Up-B: When grounded, I almost never use it, I only use it for recovery purposes only.

Anyone have any good advice for me to put into my practicing offline?

There is no real point-by-point advice anyone can give you that will make you better overnight. Ultimately, the only way you'll get better is by learning from your mistakes, even if it takes a while before you realize what you're doing wrong. Practice practice practice. Eventually you'll realize what you're doing isn't working and it's time to experiment new things. The only advice I can give is you need to use the whirling fortress as more than just a recovery. It's an extremely useful tool.

If all else fails, watch youtube videos of Bowser matches. See what other Bowsers are doing and try to pick up on it.

Riddle

Smash Lord
The only way you will ever improve is practice. Get a bunch of friends over and play A LOT. Don't just play mindlessly though, every time you play have a specific goal in mind. EX) I'm going to use Grounded Forretress effectively out of shield as much as I can. When you have a specific goal in mind you should start seeing more openings and you will steadily improve.

Check out MookieRah's Playing to Learn for more info regarding this playing style.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman

Yeah same here, I tend to get half way through a match and realise I haven't used it then use it at every oppurtunity or spam it which then becomes predictable...

lol, oh well at least we're aware of what we need to work at

MrEh

Smash Hero
The best way to get over your rolling problem is to get punished for doing it.

After you get punished like crazy, you should stop doing it naturally. Remember that shielding is your friend, not rolling.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
the hard thing about practice offline, against CPUs even is that their limited AI causes them to be exploited easily. i would suggest you practice against ONE level 9 CPU and try to stay right on top of him. who ever he is watch his moves and try to spot dodge etc. this will help you will priority and also help you to know what be careful of reguarding whatever class you play against.

i stopped playing online, the lag just messed up my game too much. both online and off.

The Filth

Smash Lord
UpB is pretty amazing for spacing and as an OoS attack.

Try sliding it slightly forwards just so it clips them, then retreat, it's quite difficult to punish.

If one of your friends picks up Diddy or pit for a while, you'll learn to perfect shield pretty quickly, it's one of the main ways I can punish those guys =[

Top Bottom