• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

problem vs marth

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
basically - this is what happens whenever i play a marth.

the marth grabs alot, and misses most of the grabs - as a result i get to combo him mercilessly, and rack up lots of damage.

at some point during the stock, the marth gets lucky and get a grab in.

---

uthrow chainthrow + utilt chainthrow to 60, and then tipper, and i die.

it doesnt matter which way i DI, as he can ALWAYS regrab me. this marth NEVER misses a grab.

also, as soon as i am able to begin jumping out, he utilts me, and then grabs again.

then he throws up, utilts, and tippers with fthrow.

---

usually i have no problem with grab combos, as i can get out of them, but im having particular problems with this one.

"dont get grabbed" is not really a viable option. although i very, very rarely get grabbed, it usually ends up i get grabbed about 4 times during the whole match.
this is not alot of times to get grabbed.

however, every single time i DO get grabbed, it equals a stock.

this marth also has good mindgames, which is why he gets in any grabs at all.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
mindgames my friend + you dont even main fox anyway..this might be due to spacing, or you might be too attackive and being open for grabs. So whos marth is this?

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
If he's really a chaingrab freak, I'd suggest not playing him on FD. If you still have a hard time against him on other stages, you may be to predictable and that's the reason why he's able to grab you each time.

SuPeRCuSsIoN

Smash Journeyman
play defensive against him. laser him down. when it is time to execute, shffl drill to waveshine to jc grab up to u air.

Smash Journeyman
switch characters!

naw jkin you need to be less predictable which you probally are, also can you get us a vid of your fights? so we can see what hes doing to you.

dont be so aggressive when fighting marths cuz of their distance game and great grabbing.
try to get aroung his grabs at all costs. use alot laser work on marth seeing as with marth it tends to send most marths on a rampage then you use his blind rushing as his weakness.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Sounds like teh Ken!1!!222

Well, try DIing toward him after the uptilt, it shouldn't be a tipper if you did it right.

Basically, a perfect chaingrabbing marth is the worst match up for Fox(seeing Ken vs Masashi), so only hope that smash DI can get you somewhere. Also, get the quarter turn DI when you're getting fsmashed. It should help you out quite a lot.

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
Stop playing him. He sounds fierce.
the only way to get better is playing people who are better than you.

OT: keep playing him. i find it better to play people better than me than playing people who suck because i learn stuff and get better. but sorry i can't give you any good advice... i'm not good enough to do so.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Around 21% if he is grabbing you DI so that you are barly over his head. he will have to pivot a grab to grab you again and if he uptilts that early then you should be able to DI out of it. best advice I can give you.

Smash Journeyman
none of these plans are gunna work. you just have to play till you can beat him or learn a way to. then your truly be able to say your fox is good.

-MARIO-MASTER

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Not much you can do besides trying to DI right on top of him; there may be some instances where you can shine him before he grabs you again.

Jake13

Smash Lord
DI his upthrow upward after twenty or so percent and that way when he uptilts you will go out of grab range (if he catches on and waits for the re-grab, jump). He should not be able to grab and take an entire stock. DI man, DI

Brookman

Smash Hero
I wish people would stop posting about 'mind games'-.- it's so lame. It seems like no one who posted really knows anything about marth's chain grab on fox >_>

The reason you die at 60% from a tipper is because you are still DIing away from the marth when the tip hits you, which is bad. If you do DI the throw fully away at tip percents you can at least expect the tipper and DI accordingly. Though it would really be best to not DI the tipper at all. If you DI fully away after 27% so that you are in up tilt range DI towards marth before he up tilts so that you don't get suspended in air right in front of him. from 0-28 you should try to slight DI behind the marth, or maybe in front, randomly. If he does miss a grab this is where it gets tricky, because he can tech chase you very easily, so you've really got to make the right choice in which way you tech, or if you missed a tech you have to know what you should do, which is very hard to know. If the marth is dash dance camping just laser camp, or just laser camp in general, it's always good to just laser to get them to the right percents for an easy death I suppose.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Everyone below me for the most part gave good advice..slight DI is the way to go.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I am aware 21% just seems to always work for me XD.

Cort

Apple Head
Brookman knows what he's talking about after I played catch with his cuddly Fox all day on FD.

That match up is soooo fun. For the Marth, I mean. :laugh:

booshk

Smash Lord
Around 21% if he is grabbing you DI so that you are barly over his head. he will have to pivot a grab to grab you again and if he uptilts that early then you should be able to DI out of it. best advice I can give you.
i believe its 25 and around like 26 and 24.
i can't really giveu advice... cuz i dunno anyone that good at chaingrabbing. except myself <3
love them 0-death chain grabs :)
and if u dont di.. the marth will pivot grab u o.o...
its not hard.. lol also at 30 percent if u dont di its pretty hard to grab from experience so i pivot grab then too.. but why do u need to know this isnt marth forum o_Ooo

Brookman

Smash Hero
i believe its 25 and around like 26 and 24.
i can't really giveu advice... cuz i dunno anyone that good at chaingrabbing. except myself <3
love them 0-death chain grabs :)
and if u dont di.. the marth will pivot grab u o.o...
its not hard.. lol also at 30 percent if u dont di its pretty hard to grab from experience so i pivot grab then too.. but why do u need to know this isnt marth forum o_Ooo
Judging by your post you actually don't know anything about Marth's chain grab on fox, or anything about anything for that matter. Where is M2K when you need him -.-

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
well this is the very first time i experienced it <it was a pretty nasty experience at that>

- ive looked into it a bit more - ive found he can just do a regular grab from anywhere to 0-30 without moving, and from 40% i can jump out/shine, so i should slight DI and either DI his utilt or jump out with shine.

---

those of you talking about "lasers" and "play defensively" and "di upwards out of the throw" have no idea what youre talking about.

it was spam-a-lot who did this to me... bear in mind this was the second match <i lose the first one playing shiek, he seems to do really well against shiek using grab combos>

thanks for the help. ive actually decided to start practising the chainthrow myself so i can get more used to it, but the timing has to be really precise. i have no idea how he kept it up for so long >.<

---

yeah, im faring a bit better against chainthrows now, the main problem i have is getting comboed out of it <fair, utilt and fsmash kinda thing> but thats something i can fix.

im actually wondering how many button presses i would require to escape <since these are quite low percents> - if he tries to knee me once, and doesnt go straight for the grab, am i right in saying that if i do 15-20 button presses + stick movements a second i should be able to get out right?

Brookman

Smash Hero
im actually wondering how many button presses i would require to escape <since these are quite low percents> - if he tries to knee me once, and doesnt go straight for the grab, am i right in saying that if i do 15-20 button presses + stick movements a second i should be able to get out right?
If you know you are going to get grabbed spin the control stick as fast as possible while mashing buttons, if he hits you while he's grabbing you you'll get out easily (if you're at a low enough percent). If he throws you you'll do something I like to call 'mystery DI' which can't really be bad if he's only up throwing you.

Peppers

Smash Apprentice
if none if this advice works ther is also the "how do i play..." sticky shuld giv a lil more advice

Top Bottom