• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Calgary, AB

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Heh, GG is such a great game to watch, and is a crazy cool game to play. I can't tell if you're knocking it or not Brad, but you shouldn't be if you are. Especially if you haven't played against good players before.

In Smash, I use "tech" in two senses. Primarily, it's used as pressing L when tumbling (teching the ground, teching the wall, techrolling, etc), so in this sense, it's the same as a recovery maneuver. But "having good tech" usually means having good technical skill, and being able to pull of technically demanding combos that require lots of button presses.

kithkin

Smash Champion
hahaha, king of arguement. (but wheres the arguement here?)

no, i dont play GG anywhere professionally, just at home on my DS. I'm alright at it, i have no clue how i'd rank against anyone good. but i'm definately not knocking it, its a good game.

also, i meant techs as in the recovering from teching a wall or the ground when being knocked back. (if that makes any sense) and guilty gear has techs in the air, which makes me laugh. (its good for guilty egar, but would suck *** for smash)

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Important Note!

Friday Smash @ Alex Cline's has been canceled due to family matters.

Also, the Flames are going out of the playoffs in style, I bet they won't even win a game. ;_;

xpiritflare

Smash Apprentice
Important Note!

Friday Smash @ Alex Cline's has been canceled due to family matters.

Also, the Flames are going out of the playoffs in style, I bet they won't even win a game. ;_;
I never know about these smash days until it's either a) cancelled, b) last minute or c) too late :(

The Flames will one game at home at the very least. Count on it :)

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I use L for all my L-canceling and teching needs, but I use R for wavedashing and blocking/rolling. I also only ever use Y to jump.

Heh, so the Flames lost Game 1. Big deal. We could still easily win the series, just like Pittsburgh could easily beat Ottawa still after getting smoked in Game 1. You guys are such quick doubters. :) I predict Detroit will still win Game 2, but the Flames will take both at home. Detroit could win in 7, but Calgary could steal Game 5 or something. They didn't look good on Thursday, but think about all the circumstances; 4 game losing streak, playing in the toughest building in hockey against the top team in the West on the night they have the most to prove.

Also, Brad: The DS Guilty Gear game is not really true Guilty Gear. It's sort of a hybrid game set in the GG universe, but has nothing else in common with how GG is played. It's kind of like comparing Super Mario World with Mario Kart. Just letting you know. Classic GG (such as XX, Slash, Reload) are all 2D fighting games in the more strict sense.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Ihiau!!!!!!!

The notion that L somehow stands for "Lag" was clearly created by someone who didn't play alot of Smash 64.
I'm not one to make posts of little to no significance, but that just sounds like Smash 64 loyalty bleeding through the rational edges.

Melee is all about lag in a variety of slightly different definitions, as we know, and the lag on the end of an aerial animation is definitely one of them. Cancelling that lag is the sole purpose of L-cancelling....I don't understand why that definition is indicative of inexperience with Smash 64. In fact, I think it's more likely that the term was coined by someone who DID play a lot of 64, but recognized that Z is no longer pressed with the left trigger finger and therefore to minimize confusion for new players and old players alike, the "L" shares a double meaning. But it certainly stands for lag.

Also, there has now officially been enough incorrect usage of the word "acronym" that I feel I must comment....in fact, it's not even the most common incorrect usage:

"L-cancel", wherein 'L' stands for 'lag,' is a single initialism and nothing more. It's not even close to an acronym.

Typically, it's things like "USA," "CRTC" and "FBI" that people get confused for acronyms when in fact they are only sets of initials.

An acronym is a single word formed by pronouncing the initial letters of a series of words, such as: PIC for Pro Impact Coins or NATO for North Atlantic Treaty Organization or AIDS for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.

Good, glad I got that out of the way.... :)

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I'm not one to make posts of little to no significance, but that just sounds like Smash 64 loyalty bleeding through the rational edges.
Dammit, Randall...
Stop being so gosh-darned observant.

However, I still must disagree.

Regardless of the intentions of whoever coined the term, (even tho Z-Canceling was coined far before Melee came out), I just feel like if you've played alot of Smash64, the L = Z theory is the more logical progression of the term "L-Cancel".

Imagine Melee just came out.
There's a new version of Smash. You've played Smash before, you know what Z-Canceling is and what it does about Lag. It still exists in Melee, but since you're using the same finger you've always used to cancel the lag, you're using the L button. It wouldn't make much sence to call it "Z-Canceling" still, so you start calling it "L-Cancelling". It's simply a change in existing terminology.

Whereas if you haven't played Smash64, you wouldn't know about the history of the Z to L transition. You would simply know there's three buttons that can be used to reduce lag, so you assume the "L" in "L-Canceling" refers to "Lag".

Most people that come from a Smash64 history probably use the L button to block, roll, dodge and L-Cancel (at least at first). People new to the game might choose either button, making them wonder why "L-Canceling" directly refers to but one of the three possible buttons.

I will concede that the "Lag" theory is more complete, since it includes all buttons.

However, the Smash64 purist in me says "Dammit! We where here first. Take your L=Lag nonsence and GTFO!"

Yah.... I've given this WAY too much thought.

BKB

Smash Cadet
From a noob.... i just thought "L-cancel" meant "use L to cancel".

Sorry, just trying to be a **** disturber :lol:

INFIL! Call me! My bud is getting pretty good at smash..... he showed me the power of skipper falcon's knee... and I was pwned. :(

I'm way too offensive in this game. Rushdown only works if you're crazy good. :mad:

kithkin

Smash Champion
haha, canceling it very important for most people (i honestly suck at it, unless i'm playing a slower character or someone who has huge differences like link)

and yeah i know GG DS is evry different, its a lot moer moving around, but i still know the game.

edit: lawls offensive i'd say, sometimes defensive, but i usually get owned when i'm defensive.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
If I was going to be picky I would say that the lag isn't actually cancelled in a "Lag cancel" it's really only reduced.

Good thing I'm not picky.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
BKB, call me tomorrow when you're planning on doing stuff. If I don't pick up, leave a message and I'll call you back. Hopefully everyone doesn't bail on you this time, eh? :)

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
If I was going to be picky I would say that the lag isn't actually cancelled in a "Lag cancel" it's really only reduced.

Good thing I'm not picky.
In Smash 64, one could truly call it a complete cancelation of lag, since Z-Cancelling removed ALL lag.

However, one could argue that a "Lag cancel" cancels a PORTION of lag, thereby keeping the definition sound.

Good thing I wouldn't argue that.

BKB

Smash Cadet
Sure thing Infil.

I must say, smash does look rather sweet on a high-def TV being played with a wii.

i think i'm gonna learn DK.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
i don't see any difference on wii/gc still seems the same to me. If the high def tv isn't set to game mode it lags by like 5-10 frames and it kinda throws you off, but when it is on it looks pretty sweet. Along with DK.... dk is too easy to kill, its too hard to miss, and too boring to play against. unless the matchup is dkvsfox then theres something new

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS EVERYTHING ABOUT L CANCELING AND IT'S NOT IMPORTANT TO TALK ABOUT IT FOR 40 POSTS IN A ROW. SO STFU ABOUT IT.

Allan, 50 S PIC my fox vs your dk. best 2/3 only random stages.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
BKB played well, though. Really solid for a guy trying to break 10-year-old SF habits, and only having played Smash for a few weeks. Jumping out of block is a pretty foreign concept to a Streets player. Remember, in most SF games, it costs you meter to cancel your block into an offensive position (Alpha counters, etc), so they make you pay to do it. In Melee, we cancel our shields into jumps or grabs all the time. He's starting to understand the engine and get his mind around how the game is played, and when his fingers can catch up he'll really start to play well.

Definitely the best player I've seen for his level of exposure to the game.

BKB

Smash Cadet
Don't sugercoat my inadequacies! My a$$ was grass, and you came over to mow the lawn!

Crossups are really good in the game eh? Stops that shield-throw stuff anyhow.

I'm loving Ganon's up+B to cancel my shield. :)

mach5

Smash Journeyman
pft neber! i /quit dk after my experience last time haha

how about this levi, if i get first place in tomorrow's badminton tournament you give me 25 pic coins. if i place lower then first i give you 25

xpiritflare

Smash Apprentice
Someone Challenge me! XD
Alright, 20 silver PIC - 1 match, only neutral stages.

Edit: Alex or someone, send me some matches with me in it (pretty please?)... I wanna upload it on my youtube because it seems so empty and useless >.>
plus eLvi has one so I want to at least tie it ;_;

Edit2: Maybe I can find a random smash vid in my folder that hasn't been uploaded... hmmmm

Edit3: Wooo, I found a match no one has uploaded, this is going to be sick.

xpiritflare

Smash Apprentice
I hereby challenge anyone (only once per person), to a PIC money match, 50 or less silver.
1 match, neutral stages. Now, the thing that makes it quite interesting is... my challenger will decide which character I will use. Pick well my friends.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I have a final exam on Friday (I don't remember the time, but it might be 2pm for 2 hours). After that, I may feel the need to unwind, so we'll see. I don't know if I should bring my PS2 and Street Fighter or not.

Top Bottom