• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Princess Zelda is ALttP based not ALBW

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

First I've analyzed the differences and it's pretty much ALttP based with some bit of Smash Bros custom which is typical for the series.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Another thing is people are bringing up a mistranslation in the english version of the direct that states "ALBW". However, when looking at the Japanese direct there is no mention of "2", so this was an mistranslation, Sakurai also doesn't state "2" either. This goes alongside my analysis.

Nice to see ALttP representation.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
i mean, it’s not an entirely accurate analysis, the hair is a much closer match for ALBW than ALTTP. Besides, the designs aren’t different enough for it to be excluding one game over the other.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with her not having a Hilda recolor. The designs aren’t so dissimilar that it wouldn’t be immediately obvious to have one.

I’m still thinking Hilda is likely an Echo character.

D

Deleted member

i mean, it’s not an entirely accurate analysis, the hair is a much closer match for ALBW than ALTTP. Besides, the designs aren’t different enough for it to be excluding one game over the other.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with her not having a Hilda recolor. The designs aren’t so dissimilar that it wouldn’t be immediately obvious to have one.

The hair is the same in both designs, the difference being the bangs are worn over the crown. However, the crown is not from either ALBW nor ALttP and is spiky and completely different from both. I figure this is them more specifically making "sense" of wearing a crown because there's no way they would've had her wear a crown like that in Smash, it would look really off.

And actually, for the Hilda argument, they added a ALttP alt color outfit that is the blue dress she wears so them including that over say a Hilda recolor is telling to me on their focus.

That said, I've noticed one thing from ALBW that is 100% certain. The Triforce location is at the bottom of the dress whereas in ALttP it's in the middle so it's more like 90% ALttP, 5% Smash, and 5% ALBW.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
First I've analyzed the differences and it's pretty much ALttP based with some bit of Smash Bros custom which is typical for the series.

Another thing is people are bringing up a mistranslation in the english version of the direct that states "ALBW". However, when looking at the Japanese direct there is no mention of "2", so this was an mistranslation, Sakurai also doesn't state "2" either. This goes alongside my analysis.

Wow... so we finally get a retro Zelda character and it’s the SNES Zelda. No wonder I fell in love with this Zelda (SNES Zelda was my first Zelda game) and why she reminded me of the 1980s and early 1990s.

CCD23

Smash Cadet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

It's not that it's a mistranslation, it's that in Japan, the game was basically named the equivalent of "A Link to the Past 2"***. But when it was localized in the west it was called A Link Between Worlds. (I never did play A Link Between Worlds, so I don't know if there's any connection in the storyline or not.)

This makes it make a little more sense why Zelda is more inspired by A Link to the Past. Great analysis! :)

The Wikipedia article for A Link Between Worlds links to ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース2 (Literal translation: Legend of Zelda Triforce of the Gods 2)

Also, I can read some Japanese and in the image above it says:

Final Smash is "Triforce of Wisdom"

(The Legend of Zelda Triforce of the Gods)

(The Legend of Zelda Triforce of the Gods 2)

Triforce of the Gods was localized as "A Link to the Past" back in 1993 (I think) so that Nintendo didn't have any issues with Christians in the US. (Not that I blame Nintendo for it, but I never did understand what past Link was trying to connect to as he braved in and out of the Dark World...)

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx

Hilde is not comparable to Lucinda dark pit or daisy. Hilde isn’t as popular than per say, idk revali

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
This is some nice work! However, I would like to make some points/observations/clarifications:

1) The Japanese text you screenshotted says that her Final Smash is the Triforce of Wisdom. That line is not talking about what game her design came from. The line you screenshotted is the line that is displayed when they are talking about her new Final Smash.

2) When talking about her design, Sakurai said in Japanese, "this time, her design is from Triforce of the Gods". This is ambigious because it could mean just the original game, LttP. However, I think it would be a more reasonable assumption that he's talking about the series "Triforce of the Gods" in general and not necessarily specifying LttP over ALbW, since in JP they are both the same name, except one just has a "2" on it.

3) The English translation of the Direct is definitely a mistranslation, as explained in point 2. There isn't reason to interpret what Sakurai said to mean that he was specifying one game over the other, or at least definitely not the second game over the first.

4) I agree that, as you have pointed out in your analysis picture, there are quite many elements that are closer or matching the design of LttP Zelda over ALbW Zelda.

5) There are also, however, many elements that are closer to ALbW, which you have not pointed out in your picture.
Examples are:
-the shape of the pink flap in front of her is more rectangular, where as in LttP it gets wider near the bottom
-the overall coloring is much closer to ALbW
-the cape is shorter like in ALbW, and is not as long as the dress itself
-the cape is not as wide as in LttP, where it "curls" around her such that you can see a bit of the back of the cape from looking at her front; it hangs flat on her back
-the design of the embroidery on the frontal pink flap thing is like several points in favor of ALbW if you are going to list every detail: the gold border being VERY near the edge of the pink thing: the gold details inside of that gold border matches the ALbW design, though is simplified; notice the much lower position of the triforce; notice the LttP design is missing the gold symbol thing below her belt and above the three small triangles; the triforce of wisdom is not red

This is in addition to one of the biggest things that you mentioned, the shape of her hair and her bangs. And it's not just that her bangs are over her crown. First, bangs in LttP go so far back that they reach behind her ear. Second, the "bangs" are swept to the side of her forehead such that they do not rest above her eyes. These are barely bangs by definition of what bangs are, even if the reason is because the crown is holding the bangs off to the side instead of letting them fall across her forehead. Also, the part at which the bangs bend over and hang down is pointy in LttP, but round in ALbW.

6) I disagree with some of the points you brought up, such as the crown. While the Smash U crown does not match either design, it is clearly much closer to the ALbW crown, with it having spiky parts on the side of her head behind her ears, the shape of the jewel at the front is a diamond shape, the jewel and the gold "frame" around it are centered on the "ring" of the crown whereas the gold "frame" around the jewel in LttP's crown is jutting below the rest of the crown and does not stick out above the "ring" of the crown, etc.

Overall, the design is a pretty good balance of both LttP Zelda and ALbW Zelda, which is reflective of my interpretation that Sakurai meant to refer to both games in general, and not one or the other. As an example, note that the blue stripe at the bottom of her dress is thick in LttP, but thin in ALbW, while in Smash U's design, it has TWO stripes, one thick and one thin.

While you may wish to be able to quantify it in such a way to say there are a higher number of details resembling LttP's than ALbW's design and it is thus based on LttP, there is no denying the many aspects taken from ALbW. The hair, the crown, the cape, the coloring, and the golden embroidery design on the front of her pink thingy are big aspects of her design that are based on ALbW. The Smash U design is not solely a LttP Zelda design, nor solely a ALbW design. It mixes many elements from both, with a little Smash originality as usual (mostly the crown, simplifying the details of the gold embroidery on the front, and her eye shape), and as such you cannot make the claim you did in this thread's title. It's most reasonable instead to say that her design is based on the "Triforce of the Gods" series in general.

Note: ALbW Zelda is not "a small child" either. That is just the design and the style. Small childs do not have busts like that. Also, it's obvious from the story that she is not a small child, nor is Link, or any of the adults in the game, who are all drawn in the same semi super-deformed (chibi) style.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
This really doesn't need to be nitpicked, her ALBW design is just a modern interpretation of ALttP, they're the same 'series' of Zelda games so he's taken aspects he's liked from both.

D

Deleted member

This is some nice work! However, I would like to make some points/observations/clarifications:

1) The Japanese text you screenshotted says that her Final Smash is the Triforce of Wisdom. That line is not talking about what game her design came from. The line you screenshotted is the line that is displayed when they are talking about her new Final Smash.

2) When talking about her design, Sakurai said in Japanese, "this time, her design is from Triforce of the Gods". This is ambigious because it could mean just the original game, LttP. However, I think it would be a more reasonable assumption that he's talking about the series "Triforce of the Gods" in general and not necessarily specifying LttP over ALbW, since in JP they are both the same name, except one just has a "2" on it.

3) The English translation of the Direct is definitely a mistranslation, as explained in point 2. There isn't reason to interpret what Sakurai said to mean that he was specifying one game over the other, or at least definitely not the second game over the first.

4) I agree that, as you have pointed out in your analysis picture, there are quite many elements that are closer or matching the design of LttP Zelda over ALbW Zelda.

5) There are also, however, many elements that are closer to ALbW, which you have not pointed out in your picture.
Examples are:
-the shape of the pink flap in front of her is more rectangular, where as in LttP it gets wider near the bottom
-the overall coloring is much closer to ALbW
-the cape is shorter like in ALbW, and is not as long as the dress itself
-the cape is not as wide as in LttP, where it "curls" around her such that you can see a bit of the back of the cape from looking at her front; it hangs flat on her back
-the design of the embroidery on the frontal pink flap thing is like several points in favor of ALbW if you are going to list every detail: the gold border being VERY near the edge of the pink thing: the gold details inside of that gold border matches the ALbW design, though is simplified; notice the much lower position of the triforce; notice the LttP design is missing the gold symbol thing below her belt and above the three small triangles; the triforce of wisdom is not red

This is in addition to one of the biggest things that you mentioned, the shape of her hair and her bangs. And it's not just that her bangs are over her crown. First, bangs in LttP go so far back that they reach behind her ear. Second, the "bangs" are swept to the side of her forehead such that they do not rest above her eyes. These are barely bangs by definition of what bangs are, even if the reason is because the crown is holding the bangs off to the side instead of letting them fall across her forehead. Also, the part at which the bangs bend over and hang down is pointy in LttP, but round in ALbW.

6) I disagree with some of the points you brought up, such as the crown. While the Smash U crown does not match either design, it is clearly much closer to the ALbW crown, with it having spiky parts on the side of her head behind her ears, the shape of the jewel at the front is a diamond shape, the jewel and the gold "frame" around it are centered on the "ring" of the crown whereas the gold "frame" around the jewel in LttP's crown is jutting below the rest of the crown and does not stick out above the "ring" of the crown, etc.

Overall, the design is a pretty good balance of both LttP Zelda and ALbW Zelda, which is reflective of my interpretation that Sakurai meant to refer to both games in general, and not one or the other. As an example, note that the blue stripe at the bottom of her dress is thick in LttP, but thin in ALbW, while in Smash U's design, it has TWO stripes, one thick and one thin.

While you may wish to be able to quantify it in such a way to say there are a higher number of details resembling LttP's than ALbW's design and it is thus based on LttP, there is no denying the many aspects taken from ALbW. The hair, the crown, the cape, the coloring, and the golden embroidery design on the front of her pink thingy are big aspects of her design that are based on ALbW. The Smash U design is not solely a LttP Zelda design, nor solely a ALbW design. It mixes many elements from both, with a little Smash originality as usual (mostly the crown, simplifying the details of the gold embroidery on the front, and her eye shape), and as such you cannot make the claim you did in this thread's title. It's most reasonable instead to say that her design is based on the "Triforce of the Gods" series in general.

Note: ALbW Zelda is not "a small child" either. That is just the design and the style. Small childs do not have busts like that. Also, it's obvious from the story that she is not a small child, nor is Link, or any of the adults in the game, who are all drawn in the same semi super-deformed (chibi) style.

If you were to watch the footage of what is being said, what he mentions (which was mistranslated in the english variant as ALBW) is him saying A Link to the Past (although the Japanese name). He never states 2 via voice which I mentioned above.

No, it is not ambiguous because he clearly would've stated 2 or mentioned specifically it takes from both. He very clearly mentions the first game specifically which makes sense being that this Zelda is mainly based off the one from the original game.

The flap itself is as well as the pink bit from ALBW, but the color usage overall I cannot agree with. Both are drawn in completely different artstyles with ALttP being anime and simple colors and this color scheming is done because the actual model itself is more detailed. If you look at most characters in this game they share a similar shaded artstyle with the colors not being absolute primary with a softness to this. The pink itself (as well as general flap) is closer to ALBW, but the actual white part of the dress I feel is done specifically because the game is more detailed due to it being Smash Bros. For example, this is a picture of Zelda in the actual game and is much more simple in color.

I also can't agree with the cape because if I pull out the absolute original artwork, the cape is the same length and just as flowy as it is in ALttP.

I also am not seeing any difference in the hair, if anything the hair bangs design is more simlar to ALttP in shape.

As for the crown itself, there is no Triforce on it like in ALBW, it is not merely a single plated design, and the shape of the jewel itself is different. The only similarity I can possibly see from this is that the jewel itself is of a similar color, but the crown itself is clearly custom for Smash Bros.

Last edited by a moderator:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I mean, you're straight up ignoring or attempting some of the most insignificant reasons to refute her similarities to ALBW (like, blindly stating that her bangs are more similar to the one that is blatantly not over the crown), whilst over emphasising every similarity with ALttP.

It's kinda obvious that she isn't exactly either of them but instead takes from both. What is the point of taking one side in this so heavily? Like, what is the afront of referring to the overall design concept as it's most recent game instead of the older game from the same series?

Seriously, why does this need to be nitpicked when it's clear she isn't precisely either of them and definitely takes some designs from both.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I think they basically did like what they did with Roy and just implemented aspects from both ALttP and ALBW for Zelda's design here. There are aspects that call back to either games and isn't really specific to just one of them.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yeah regardless she is a Triforce of the Gods Zelda and let me tell you I am glad for it as TP Zelda is my least favorite in the series.

D

Deleted member

I mean, you're straight up ignoring or attempting some of the most insignificant reasons to refute her similarities to ALBW (like, blindly stating that her bangs are more similar to the one that is blatantly not over the crown), whilst over emphasising every similarity with ALttP.

It's kinda obvious that she isn't exactly either of them but instead takes from both. What is the point of taking one side in this so heavily? Like, what is the afront of referring to the overall design concept as it's most recent game instead of the older game from the same series?

Seriously, why does this need to be nitpicked when it's clear she isn't precisely either of them and definitely takes some designs from both.
Funny cause that seems to be what you're doing yet I've acknowledged everything posted my way and responded to it accordingly.

I'm not denying there are some ALBW elements such as the entire pink cloth and decorations (I even mentioned the triforce location before others) of it and the gem color, but to act like this isn't mainly ALttP? That's being disingenuous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Funny cause that seems to be what you're doing yet I've acknowledged everything posted my way and responded to it accordingly.

I'm not denying there are some ALBW elements such as the entire pink cloth and decorations (I even mentioned the triforce location before others) of it and the gem color, but to act like this isn't mainly ALttP? That's being disingenuous.
It kind of doesn’t matter though, since it’s literally the same Zelda. And the same basic design, so just really call it a combination of both. He probably picked the parts of each he thought were most striking. There’s no denying the LBW wristbands aren’t as interesting as the LTTP ones.

Hilde is not comparable to Lucinda dark pit or daisy. Hilde isn’t as popular than per say, idk revali
Those sound like some ambiguous popularity stats, but all the same, LTTP/LBW Zelda is likely way less popular than BotW Zelda, yet he made the choice to use the former. Reasons aside, it would probably shift his focus toward that content, and a Hilda recolor is an easy decision there, but if not, she’s a very similar character design with a very different personality and access to dark magic, so I could see him thinking of her as different-but-similar enough to include.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It kind of doesn’t matter though, since it’s literally the same Zelda. And the same basic design, so just really call it a combination of both. He probably picked the parts of each he thought were most striking. There’s no denying the LBW wristbands aren’t as interesting as the LTTP ones.
Same design, executed differently. One is a small child, the other is 16ish. ALBW is a homage to ALttP, but I still have Sakurai on my side as he clearly mentioned the first game and a lot of attributes lean more in ALttP's favor than they do ALBW.

ALBW features DO exist though which I think people are thinking I'm saying they don't exist, however I'm saying this is mainly meant to be ALttP which it is. Sakurai said it himself and that's my final post on the matter.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
but to act like this isn't mainly ALttP? That's being disingenuous.
The belt, armlets and necklace are ALttP, The pink cloth, hair styling and X on the gold dangles are ALBW. Everything else is either neither, halfway between each or purely a difference in artstyle (seriously, you point to ear angle and number of lines in the gold dangles like they aren't more characteristic of the differences between heavy linework anime styling and siomplified oil painting imitation?).

I didn't directly argue against you for any of those before because this is an entirely pointless argument. If you're going to be hostile then I'll tell you you're wrong.

Sakurai said it himself and that's my final post on the matter.
Your only post on this matter has been contested, to which you argue that because he didn't say 2 it means the original and doesn't refer to the entire series. Yes, it's a mistranslation to say it came from ALBW and not 'the Triforce of the Gods series'. However 'Triforce of the Gods' doesn't exist in English, so they used the most recent (which, funnily enough, we usually equate to 'relevant) on these forums' name for it. It's clear that it's neither one nor the other. Sakurai isn't on your side, you're just only intepreting what you want from his statement.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Same design, executed differently. One is a small child, the other is 16ish. ALBW is a homage to ALttP, but I still have Sakurai on my side as he clearly mentioned the first game and a lot of attributes lean more in ALttP's favor than they do ALBW.

ALBW features DO exist though which I think people are thinking I'm saying they don't exist, however I'm saying this is mainly meant to be ALttP which it is. Sakurai said it himself and that's my final post on the matter.
I don’t know where you get the idea that LBW Zelda is a small child. It’s literally the same Zelda. Just older. LBW is a sequel, they just chose to make the characters small and cartoony in the artstyle. And Sakurai clearly was being disingenuous if he understated the LBW elements of the design. Because they’re there.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I don’t know where you get the idea that LBW Zelda is a small child. It’s literally the same Zelda. Just older. LBW is a sequel, they just chose to make the characters small and cartoony in the artstyle. And Sakurai clearly was being disingenuous if he understated the LBW elements of the design. Because they’re there.
That is actually untrue. A Link Between Worlds is a sequel game, yes, but not a direct sequel like Majora's Mask and Tri Force Heroes. Thus, the Link and Zelda in ALBW are different from those in ALttP. The story in ALBW mentions this point specifically.

Though I will state that the art style for ALBW implies childlikeness among Link and Zelda, however it does not state how old they are specifically.

But please remember that ALBW Link was then put into TFH with the Toon design, which strongly implies a very young age, approx. 12 years old.

Where as SSBUlt Zelda is clearly grown up, no question about it.

Regardless, making statements like "but her bangs are different" doesn't prove anything.

Take a look at Ganny here:

This is unequivocally the Ocarina of Time design, yes?

If that's true, than why does he have the short hair from the child timeline, but the red cape (and outfit) of the adult timeline? Ganondorf has never had an official appearance that used this blend of features.

The small details do not change the origin or inspiration of the design.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I thought ALBW was a direct sequel to ALttP. Was I wrong in assuming this or are we just really, really nitpicking?

Not to say nitpicking is negative. I love nitpicking. I just figured it was a modern interpretation of the character as a whole, in the same way that Sheik is basically based off nothing besides "what would Sheik look like in better graphics".

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
I thought ALBW was a direct sequel to ALttP. Was I wrong in assuming this or are we just really, really nitpicking?

Not to say nitpicking is negative. I love nitpicking. I just figured it was a modern interpretation of the character as a whole, in the same way that Sheik is basically based off nothing besides "what would Sheik look like in better graphics".
Here, this interview article ought to clear some things up.

The World of A Link to the Past has Changed

Aonuma: It’s not a direct sequel in the sense that it’s the same Link and Zelda. The world is the same and it might be a different generation of Link and Zelda.
There's also the portraits in Hyrule Castle that depict the events of ALttP. It's told in the style of a "legend" passed down by the Royal Family as an important part of history.

Sheik in Brawl & Sm4sh was depicted like this:

This is an unused Twilight Princess concept design that was repurposed for Smash.

The design Sheik has now resembles this:

(Take note of the scarf)
Combined with this:

There's proper inspiration for these character designs. It's not haphazardly rendered into HD with a "let's see what happens" mentality. There's actual forethought here, and it's amazing to see.

And, technically speaking of course, SSBU is now repping 4 different Zelda games through its characters:

1. Breath of the Wild (Link & Sheik)
2. A Link to the Past (Zelda)
3. Ocarina of Time (Ganondorf & Young Link)
4. The Wind Waker (Toon Link)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

It's basically a sequel in a similar sense as say, Wind Waker is a sequel to Ocarina of Time. As in it continues where the previous game left off, but with a different protagonist. Link's Awakening is the true follow up for the Link from A Link to the Past though.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Either way I'm happy we have a more traditional looking Zelda. I like TWP Zelda, but she never looked like Zelda to me.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Let's just say she is Smash Zelda with a Triforce of the Gods series based design and leave it at that.
Quoting because it needs to be stated again.

All that matters is she's taking inspiration from a Zelda series that isn't represented in Smash, a topdown Zelda. ALttP and ALbW both inspire her design. No need to nitpick.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Zelda never looked appealing to me. Both Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess versions of Zelda don't look right. This new design though is something else. She looks like she's having fun and actually wants to be in Smash this time compared to the previous Zelda's who looked like they don't want anything to do with Smash.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Just because this has become the topic of this thread:

I actually prefer TP Zelda's formality, she's like real royalty who contains herself and acts regal and proper as ****. There's elegance and grace whereas this new design reminds me more of a Disney Princess. She's happy and joyous end energetic, and I think it's still a wonderful design as a whole but it's just not the 'kind of princess' I prefer I guess.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I’m fine with her being a Disney princess type. At least they have more motivation than the old Zelda’s have had.

Its no different than me seeing the Disney princesses in 3D in the new wreck it ralph trailer. It’s been long over due, and so has a Zelda, who I feel was made weak purposely. Sheik was the actual representaton of “Zelda” as a fighter, and frankly if we had just gotten Sheik things would be different. I think we’d like her more. Because we didn’t have something to compare Sheik to.

In Smash Sheik has developed a whole new identity and in the process completely upstaged Zelda as a fighter, and that’s what Sheik originally was supposed to do. Zelda was a last minute addition, with her animations Echoed from Peach. Peach was planned for 64, so my bet? Sheik was planned the entire time and Nintendo wanted Zelda actually in the game, so he had to rush her. We all know how fast the game was made, and the cuts on development time.

This is time he’s had rest, he’s happier, supporting the FGC. that’s why he’s taken Zelda, among all the other fighters, very seriously this time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Quoting because it needs to be stated again.

All that matters is she's taking inspiration from a Zelda series that isn't represented in Smash, a topdown Zelda. ALttP and ALbW both inspire her design. No need to nitpick.
This just sounds like people being salty she's mainly ALttP based. ALBW fans it'll be okay, there is still a portion of her that's ALBW based.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
No honey bun, I'm not salty its ALttP based over ALbW. That's a dumb thing to be salty over. I just see its an homage to those two games rather than one ober another.

You don't have to be condescending. I'm just saying there's no need to argue it is one over the other. There are bigger things to worry about.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
That awkward moment where the differences are so minuscule to the point where they don't matter, but they're still correct so you can't make fun of the effort put into finding them.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
This just sounds like people being salty she's mainly ALttP based. ALBW fans it'll be okay, there is still a portion of her that's ALBW based.
If Link Between worlds zelda is largely based on Link to the past, she’s pretty much Link to the past zelda. To me that’s logical.

On on top of that, her arm bangles and several details match the lttp design better.

I believe link between worlds was mentioned because it just happens to be the most recent Zelda game that uses that design for Zelda. Link between worlds has a different art style, sort of whimsical ala wind waker but not as cartoony. Imo it’s obviously like if Link to the past as visually updated. So I think it’s the same Zelda no matter which as you slice it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Imagine if Toon Zelda made it in and people started debating on wether she's based slightly more off the Wind Waker, Minish Cap or Spirit Tracks version because one has slightly longer hair or something.

At the end of the day, the Zelda's from ALttP and ALbW share the same overall designs regardless and I couldn't be happier that they chose my personal favourite design of her this time around.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
It's basically an amalgam of both designs. Simple.

ALBW design is basically a re-imagining of ALTTP anyway. Not much difference.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
I’m fine with her being a Disney princess type. At least they have more motivation than the old Zelda’s have had.

Its no different than me seeing the Disney princesses in 3D in the new wreck it ralph trailer. It’s been long over due, and so has a Zelda, who I feel was made weak purposely. Sheik was the actual representaton of “Zelda” as a fighter, and frankly if we had just gotten Sheik things would be different. I think we’d like her more. Because we didn’t have something to compare Sheik to.

In Smash Sheik has developed a whole new identity and in the process completely upstaged Zelda as a fighter, and that’s what Sheik originally was supposed to do. Zelda was a last minute addition, with her animations Echoed from Peach. Peach was planned for 64, so my bet? Sheik was planned the entire time and Nintendo wanted Zelda actually in the game, so he had to rush her. We all know how fast the game was made, and the cuts on development time.

This is time he’s had rest, he’s happier, supporting the FGC. that’s why he’s taken Zelda, among all the other fighters, very seriously this time.
I felt somewhat bothered by your post, so I double-checked to try and prove you wrong:

16—Sheik
17—Zelda.

It seems like your bet of Sheik being made first was spot on, and you were quite right.

Goodness gracious, Zelda was a Sheik afterthought...

Last edited:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I felt somewhat bothered by your post, so I double-checked to try and prove you wrong:

16—Sheik
17—Zelda.

It seems like your bet of Sheik being made first was spot on, and you were quite right.

Goodness gracious, Zelda was a Sheik afterthought...
Yep. Interestingly enough, Zelda was not revealed as playable, or even hinted at the matter during the 2001 E3 reveal. It wasn’t until afterwards Nintendo probably considered players who had not played the newest Zelda game, OOT, would have no clue who Sheik was. But if they attached them together in the game, players would make the connection who Sheik represented - The fighting side of Zelda, and Zelda’s mate fighter concept wasn’t fully realized, as it was always an after thought.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The design is great regardless of where it comes from. Best Zelda design.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Honestly, the hair was what clued me in to it being LBW even before the line showed up. The way her hair frames her face and fills it out is unique to LBW Zelda, and is one of the most notable parts of the design, IMO. Even if it does pulls elements from both games, it’s not just a question of which one it pulls more from, as they are not all equally important to the design. That hair gives LBW Zelda a distinct look from every other Zelda in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom