• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prince of the Underworld - Zagreus for Smash!

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Sup y'all, sign me up as a supporter! I made a moveset video for Zag and would love to know what you think!
Apologies for me taking a while, you've been added! And that moveset video is chef's kiss simply incredible! I love how you went in depth with not only explaining Zagreus' home game and moveset, but also putting effort into the other aspects of his challenger pack. Thus, may I ask for permission to use your video in the intro post? I think it would work well to further inform those who may have not been convinced by the intro text.

On another note, we've hit page 2! Not the craziest milestone, but still cool to see the support so far.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Oooooo Hades? Sign me up. Game was so good it has my full support. I’m very interested to see how Sakurai would decide to represent a roguelite.
Added to the list, welcome to the team! I think the easiest way Sakurai could represent the rogue-like is with the boons, and maybe having them change Zag's moveset but reset upon death.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Apologies for me taking a while, you've been added! And that moveset video is chef's kiss simply incredible! I love how you went in depth with not only explaining Zagreus' home game and moveset, but also putting effort into the other aspects of his challenger pack. Thus, may I ask for permission to use your video in the intro post? I think it would work well to further inform those who may have not been convinced by the intro text.

On another note, we've hit page 2! Not the craziest milestone, but still cool to see the support so far.
Glad you enjoy it! And you absolutely can use it!

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Sign me up for this! Zag is my #1 most wanted Smash character now and I think if Nintendo's next console will get an enhanced Smash Ultimate port with some new characters, he's a real possibility. Nintendo seems to love Hades and I could definetly see Sakurai falling in love with the game like he did with P5. I have my own idea for a Zagreus Moveset, I might post it on here

(also his splash screen should say "ZAGREUS styx the landing!")

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Sign me up for this! Zag is my #1 most wanted Smash character now and I think if Nintendo's next console will get an enhanced Smash Ultimate port with some new characters, he's a real possibility. Nintendo seems to love Hades and I could definetly see Sakurai falling in love with the game like he did with P5. I have my own idea for a Zagreus Moveset, I might post it on here

(also his splash screen should say "ZAGREUS styx the landing!")
Added to the list! I think that if we were to get an Ultimate port with added characters, then I think Hades is looking pretty to get some representation, especially if it comes out in Japan beforehand. I say some representation because Zagreus might get out-prioritized by characters like Shantae or Shovel Knight. And go ahead and post that moveset, we're all ears here.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one, Hades is getting a physical release for the Switch!
Nintendo continues to show this game love and I'm all for it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one, Hades is getting a physical release for the Switch!
Nintendo continues to show this game love and I'm all for it.
Some of my physical purist friends were gnashing their teeth at the game being digital, great news for them

Geno Boost

Smash Master
the game is probably one of the few good things that came out in 2020 that will be remembered on that year i am curious to see how the series would continue growing in the future
also it would be nice if it crossovers with kid icarus i think its very fitting lol

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
the game is probably one of the few good things that came out in 2020 that will be remembered on that year i am curious to see how the series would continue growing in the future
also it would be nice if it crossovers with kid icarus i think its very fitting lol
While I would love to see more Hades content, the developers tend to not do sequels. Though this is their highest rated game, so I guess we'll wait and see.
And I would to see the cast of Hades interact with Kid Icarus'! I could just image seeing Zagreus getting a Boon and then seeing it's from Palutena.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
I wrote down my Zag moveset! I really tried to make it faithful to the Hades and what makes it unique. I also have some ideas on the Stage, an Assist Trophy, Spirits etc. I might post that here if yall would want to see it

Anyway, here it is:
ZAGREUS
styx the landing!

Main Mechanic: Olympian Boons
When Zagreus enters a battle, or respawns after losing a stock, a boon from one of the 8 main olympians from the game appears in front of him. When he takes it, it powers up 2 of his 6 weapons (Blade, Spear, Shield, Bow, Fists and Cast) at random (+his Final Smash) in a similar way to the original game. You can see which god the boon is from and what it effects above Zagreus's character icon. The effects that the boons give are: Zeus - when the attack lands, lightning hits a nearby foe (or the same one in 1v1), Poseidon - the attack deals much more knockback, Athena - the attack can reflect projectiles, Ares - the attack deals more damage after a small delay ("Doom"), Artemis - the attack have a chance to crit, Aphrodite - the attacks inflict "Weak" (attacks temporarily deal a bit less damage) on the enemy, Dionysus - poisons the enemy, Hermes - the attack is much faster. The boons have a different effect on the Cast, those will be described under that move.

Neutrals:
Jab: Stygius slashes

Forward Tilt: Wide S. slash

Down Tilt: Mini Nova Smash

Up Tilt: Overhead S. slash

Dash Attack: S. dash-strike (can also be activated by pressing the attack button while using the special move 'Dash')

Specials:

Neutral B: Aegis throw
Can be charged for more distance, quickly bounces between enemies and objects before returning

Side B: Dash
Can be done twice in quick succession before a short cooldown

Up B: Rising Bull Rush
Can be charged for more damage and distance, puts you into freefall

Down B: Cast
Stays in the enemy for 5 seconds (unless affected by Hermes's boon). You have two of them, small icons above your character icon display how many you have on you atm. Here are the sepcial effects the boons have if they affect the Cast: Zeus - turns it into chain lightning that can bounce between enemies, Poseidon - gives it a wider hitbox and much more knockback, Athena - gives it a wider hitbox and makes it reflect projectiles, Ares - turns it into a slow Blade RIft that dissapears after a couple of seconds, Aphrodite - turns it into a stronger, short range blast that inflicts ''Weak'', Dionysus - turns into an arching projectile that creates poisonous fog on impact, Hermes - makes both throwing the cast and getting it back much faster

Aerials:

Neutral Air: Coronacht spin (similar to Byleth's)

Forward Air: Quick Coronacht shot (short range)

Back Air: Quick backwards Coronacht shot (short range)

Up Air: Upwards volley shot (5 arrows)

Down Air: Downwards C. dash-strike

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Varatha throw and recall

Up Smash: Varatha upwards stab

Down Smash: V. Spin Attack (charging slightly increases hitbox, deals more damage at the exact moment of getting fully charged, when a light flashes)

Throws:

Grab: Malphon Magnetic grab (slight pull that suspends the enemy instead of them being physically held)

Pummel: Malphon Punches

Forward Throw: Stronger forward M. punch

Back Throw: Roundhouse backwards M. punch

Up Throw: M. Uppercut

Down Throw: Downwards M. Punches

Final Smash: Exagryph Calls
Zagreus performs a dash-strike with Exagryph, up to 3 enemies bit by it are put into the FS cutscene, which takes place in Megaera's boss fight room. Zag summons Meg using the "Batty" companion and Calls the god whose boon he has. He then quickly shoots using Exagryph, both its "attack" and "special" moves from the original game, while the artworks of both Megaera and the Olympian god appear and attack the enemies

Taunts:

Forward Taunt: Fishing (small hitbox, like Snake)

Up Taunt: The pose from the "... VANQUISHED" banner

Down Taunt: puts his hand in front of him like when talking, or accepting a boon

Victory Screens:

Zagreus pets Cerberus, who then licks him

Zagreus "accepts" a Smash ball stylised to look like a boon

A fountain and staircase resemling the ones from Hades are added to the regular Victory Screen background, Zagreus drinks from the fountain and runs up the staircase (like inbetween floors in the og game)

Victory Screen if Zagreus wins using his FS: the enemy explodes into sparks (like Lernie, instead of blood) in a black void and an "enemy name VANQUISHED" banner appears

Extra Animations:

Entrance: shows Zagreus falling down from above like at the start of a run

Respawn after losing a stock: shows Zagreus putting his hand through his hair and shaking off river Styx's "red water"

Shield: shows Zag locking using Aegis, perry looks like Aegis bash

Wake up: plays Hypnos's surprised yell

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright so you know how when Terry gets KO'd in a Stamina battle, his hat flies off of his head?

A fun little idea I had in my head if Zagreus were to be in Smash would be for his death animation to occur when he's the last fighter KO'd in Stamina Mode. Death plays an integral role in Hades, so I think this would be a fun little touch to add.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Hades is one of the most addictive games I've played lately. It'd be nice to see Zagreus in Smash one day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom