• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West Pretty Good Gaming's Monthly Smash Attack! Now with Pokken!

Pretty Good Gaming's Monthly Smash Attack! Now with Pokken!
Posted by Bkomel
Claredon Hills Clubhouse
Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 10:00 AM
Until: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/Los_Angeles)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Los_Angeles

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
700 alquire Parkway. Hayward, Ca. 94544
10am on January 16. for all ages
Submissions start at 12:30 PM, Free play starts 10AM

We will be in a club house towards the top oh the hill on Alquire. (Industrial Blvd is Alquire)
The Club house is just over 1 Block away from mission Blvd, and a bus stop.

Smash 4 tournament Rules:
-Double Elimination
- bring your own controller (We have backups, but they're jankey)
- 2 man stock
- custom moves allowed
- best of 3 rounds
- Loser of round can change character
-Coin toss for first person to choose stage, loser chooses next stage, but winner can choose to ban a stage as well
-Grand Final is best of 3 sets. In other words, the first to win 3 sets of 3 round, 2 stock matches
5$ entry fee

Pokken Tournament rules:
- Single Elimination
- Controllers will be supplied
- Player using pro controller chooses stage first.
- Best of 3 matches wins
5$ entry fee. Money will go towards prizes for Pokken. Amount TBD

Smash 4 Prizes
-Ca$h
-Gift card
-Amiibo! (LITTLE MAC and maybe RYU) (ONLY 1 WILL BE A PRIZE)

Smash 4 neutral stages are:

-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Delfino Plaza
-Lylat cruise
-Castle seige
-Town and City
-Smashville
-Duck Hunt
-Dream Land 64
-Anything Omega

Also any stage that is not on this list, but both parties want to fight on is also acceptable, but both parties must accept

you can find our past smash tournaments on our youtube channel. Here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCffa0xetiRuhO82CLzShCew

Twitter: @ThoseGoodGamers

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PrettyGoodGaming/?ref=hl

Twitch : http://www.twitch.tv/pretty_good_gaming
We stream Twice a week! Our Youtube channel and twitter have release times.

Hope to see you guys there!

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
Hey everybody! I hope this announcement wasn't made too late. If you're thinking of going, please shoot a comment. I'd love to know in advance that this event isn't going to happen in vain.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
l just got Pokken and l'm really excited to see what it's like. l have absolutely no clue which Pokemon to play. Some friends in my high school, including ModernBulbz and Chopper, were telling me that Machamp and Shadow Mewtwo were broken, although Chopper didn't care at all when l was trying it at the gaming club there, when l didn't even know the controls.

l'm starting out with Garchomp, though. No clue how that'll go.

But, with Pokken and Smash rounds happening at what l'm guessing will be at the same time, won't things get incredibly tangled up? We basically capped out at only 30 yesterday and it took forever running just the one game. Do you think you'll be able to run two? Even if you aren't running them at the same time, one of the two divisions will have to be delayed. And oh god, if some tryhard scrub who may or may not be writing this wants to go in both of them, he'll have to consistently switch between the two very different styles. Sounds like a challenge. Not saying that shouldn't be a thing, but sounds hard. And imagine if he gets called up for both games at the same time! Ough, l really don't want to have to make a choice, imo. Good thing it's over a month away.

Bleh13R

Smash Rookie
With both Pokken and Smash running, would we still be running the "alternate winner's" bracket still happen? The fact that its normally a second tournament instead of a normal double elimination makes it a bit longer than it should be.

Either way you decide to run it, if you want help running the bracket, I'd be happy to help out with it so you can concentrate more on commentating or even participating.

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
l just got Pokken and l'm really excited to see what it's like. l have absolutely no clue which Pokemon to play. Some friends in my high school, including ModernBulbz and Chopper, were telling me that Machamp and Shadow Mewtwo were broken, although Chopper didn't care at all when l was trying it at the gaming club there, when l didn't even know the controls.

l'm starting out with Garchomp, though. No clue how that'll go.

But, with Pokken and Smash rounds happening at what l'm guessing will be at the same time, won't things get incredibly tangled up? We basically capped out at only 30 yesterday and it took forever running just the one game. Do you think you'll be able to run two? Even if you aren't running them at the same time, one of the two divisions will have to be delayed. And oh god, if some tryhard scrub who may or may not be writing this wants to go in both of them, he'll have to consistently switch between the two very different styles. Sounds like a challenge. Not saying that shouldn't be a thing, but sounds hard. And imagine if he gets called up for both games at the same time! Ough, l really don't want to have to make a choice, imo. Good thing it's over a month away.
Lol I was joking with my bro saying that you'd choose Garchomp. His counter / grab game is amazing. I use pikachu libre.

Last time I only had 2 systems for tournament and people kept going to the tournament tv for frendlies, so we'll be good this time. But I'm also assuming there won't be a huge pokken crowd

I won't call call the same person up for both, but they will still need to change mentality.

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
With both Pokken and Smash running, would we still be running the "alternate winner's" bracket still happen? The fact that its normally a second tournament instead of a normal double elimination makes it a bit longer than it should be.

Either way you decide to run it, if you want help running the bracket, I'd be happy to help out with it so you can concentrate more on commentating or even participating.
I might just ask for your help depending on the crowd, But I think we got it. I'd like to keep the losers bracket though. Would you be able to bring a tv and console though? With your set, We would have 5 secured, and that would help with traffic

Allister

Smash Rookie
I'd be interested in going for Pokken. Coming from San Jose. How do you think the Pokken turnout will be?

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
I'd be interested in going for Pokken. Coming from San Jose. How do you think the Pokken turnout will be?
I do not know, but I know that several of the people who common this tournament play well. I've versed them in another pokken tournament. I'm thinking worst case scenario 8 people. best, low 20's. Regardless I think there will be many smashers, and most of them will be curious at the least

Bleh13R

Smash Rookie
I might just ask for your help depending on the crowd, But I think we got it. I'd like to keep the losers bracket though. Would you be able to bring a tv and console though? With your set, We would have 5 secured, and that would help with traffic
Yeah, no problem. I'll bring my setup again.

GunGuts

Smash Cadet
I couldn't attend your last two tournaments, but I'll try to make it to this one.
So there's no prizes for the Pokken winners? I haven't played it, but I'd like to try it.

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
I couldn't attend your last two tournaments, but I'll try to make it to this one.
So there's no prizes for the Pokken winners? I haven't played it, but I'd like to try it.
Prizes will be cash correlative to the entry fees gained. 1st gets 60% 2nd gets 30% house gets 10%

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
Sorry I forgot to mention. Smash 4 will be DOUBLE elimination, Pokken will be SINGLE elimination

ShadowB13

Smash Cadet
NNID
broski989
3DS FC
5172-2466-6884
Is it ok if I can take a monitor and a wii so we can play melee. If you want we can use the monitor for a wii u if somebody didnt bring a monitor.

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
Is it ok if I can take a monitor and a wii so we can play melee. If you want we can use the monitor for a wii u if somebody didnt bring a monitor.
Absolutely! that'd be great! We currently have 1 melee running, but that gets clogged quick!

UbiPro

Smash Rookie
Really liked the last one. I am happy to bring a full set-up (Smash 4) if it will help with the bandwidth . Hopefully I'll be able to stay this time!

ShadowB13

Smash Cadet
NNID
broski989
3DS FC
5172-2466-6884
Also just to make sure if we bring a wii u we don't have to pay the entry fee? Just trying to find out so that way I can get my friend to bring his wii u. And if we don't have all the dlc would we only be able to use it for friendlies or also for the tourney.

Last edited:

Bleh13R

Smash Rookie
How many setups can the venue support in total? It already seemed pretty crowded last time with 4 (or was it 5?) smash4s and a melee

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
If we want to take a setup do we have to get there early so as to be able to setup
Yes, well before 12:30, but I don't think we will need anymore set ups, as I have 4 set ups and 1 melee set ups secured so far. I'd like 5 wii-u, and I might be able to get a 5th. If I can't, I will ask you 1st.

Also will you have a tv for the wii u as well?

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
How many setups can the venue support in total? It already seemed pretty crowded last time with 4 (or was it 5?) smash4s and a melee
Not many -_- If you're bringing yours and I could get NFA to bring his, I think we're Golden

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
Also, I wanted to clarify, bringing a set up for melee will not waive your smash 4 entree fee, but helping the melee portion of the venue is needed, and I thank you for your help

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
Really liked the last one. I am happy to bring a full set-up (Smash 4) if it will help with the bandwidth . Hopefully I'll be able to stay this time!
I think we will be fine on set ups,as I will be ready for more this time. If I have trouble for any reason, I will definitely ask you. (I might still need it we'll see)

Do you have DLC?

Last edited:

UbiPro

Smash Rookie
I think we will be fine on set ups,as I will be ready for more this time. If I have trouble for any reason, I will definitely ask you. (I might still need it we'll see)

Do you have DLC?
Yep, got all characters and their respective stages plus Dream Land 64.

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
hmmmm I'll let you know in a couple of days if I could use them. I have a friend that has a free set up, but he hasn't responded... still, but regardless, it's missing all dlc

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
How will Pokken run? Like one, in-game set? Which'll lead to matches that last about 2 minutes, favoring speed over dissection. Or are you going to make it so one in-game set is just one match out of 3 or something?

Also, does anyone know if 8Bit M3 will be here this time? l need the salty runback. l've been theorycrafting my head off. Just throw in a bit of combe-specific practice and l think l'm set for the match-up.

Last edited:

Jago421

The Drill Rush that will Pierce the Heavens
NNID
Jago421
3DS FC
0018-1578-4073
I would love to attend this tournament (assuming my work schedule will allow it), but the rule set is not one which I feel entirely comfortable with. I don't understand why custom moves are allowed when they've been phased out of the competitive scene for a long time now, and for good reason. Also, a few of the stages allowed in this tournament (Skyloft, Suzaku Castle, etc) are not legal in today's competitive scene and it makes no sense to add them in when the current rule set used at majors works perfectly well. Here's an example of the rule set used at Genesis 3, a recent major. https://goo.gl/pgkTlI This rule set makes much more sense in today's meta so I hope you consider it for future events because I would love to come out and play with you all.

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
I would love to attend this tournament (assuming my work schedule will allow it), but the rule set is not one which I feel entirely comfortable with. I don't understand why custom moves are allowed when they've been phased out of the competitive scene for a long time now, and for good reason. Also, a few of the stages allowed in this tournament (Skyloft, Suzaku Castle, etc) are not legal in today's competitive scene and it makes no sense to add them in when the current rule set used at majors works perfectly well. Here's an example of the rule set used at Genesis 3, a recent major. https://goo.gl/pgkTlI This rule set makes much more sense in today's meta so I hope you consider it for future events because I would love to come out and play with you all.
Whoops I did not intend for skyloft to still be a choice, kind of went on auto pilot I guess, sorry about that. As for customs, We allow them to be present as it adds a definite element of surprise, but I wouldn't worry too much, as people hardly use them at the tournament, if at all. (Usually it's not at all)

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
How will Pokken run? Like one, in-game set? Which'll lead to matches that last about 2 minutes, favoring speed over dissection. Or are you going to make it so one in-game set is just one match out of 3 or something?

Also, does anyone know if 8Bit M3 will be here this time? l need the salty runback. l've been theorycrafting my head off. Just throw in a bit of combe-specific practice and l think l'm set for the match-up.
Idk if he will be there, but I know that he knows about the date, as we were talking about it the other week.

As for pokken, it'll be best of 3 single elimination, 80 seconds (Meybe its 90, but it'll be that general amount of time) That was the rule set at the gamestop pokken tournament at least. If 800 seconds isn't enough tiime then idk...... who do you play? suicune or chandelure?

GunGuts

Smash Cadet
Darn, I wanted to counterpick to Skyloft. On a serious note, I appreciate you guys allowing customs, despite no one using them. I don't want to see them completely removed in the competitive scene without being thoroughly explored. If I could, I'd like to use customs, but it looks like I can't make it again. Man, this is the third one I'll miss.

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
Darn, I wanted to counterpick to Skyloft. On a serious note, I appreciate you guys allowing customs, despite no one using them. I don't want to see them completely removed in the competitive scene without being thoroughly explored. If I could, I'd like to use customs, but it looks like I can't make it again. Man, this is the third one I'll miss.
oh man, that sucks. If you can you should try to show up to the next one, as it might be the last one we use customs in. I have explored the use of customs, and some are pleasant, but some are arguably like adding items into the game. I just thank the stars that no one has abused them yet

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
So I have not received a clear answer yet from my friend, so if you were certain you could attend, could you bring your set up?

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
oh man, that sucks. If you can you should try to show up to the next one, as it might be the last one we use customs in. I have explored the use of customs, and some are pleasant, but some are arguably like adding items into the game. I just thank the stars that no one has abused them yet
Aw, l didn't even get the guts to try to use Ike's Close Combat or mess around with Tempest. l would be using Ike, but Cloud and Corrin are just........

better.

Rest in piece, lke. You will be remembered.

*How TF do you attach pictures?

Attachments

Last edited:

UbiPro

Smash Rookie
So I have not received a clear answer yet from my friend, so if you were certain you could attend, could you bring your set up?
I can diddly-do. I didn't mention but I also have the GC Controller adapter, figured it was a given but just saying in case it wasn't clear. I'll be there with everything +TV + Power tree. In need of another folding table? I can bring one of those too.

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
Aw, l didn't even get the guts to try to use Ike's Close Combat or mess around with Tempest. l would be using Ike, but Cloud and Corrin are just........

better.

Rest in piece, lke. You will be remembered.

*How TF do you attach pictures?
lol you should give the customs a try while you can!

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
I can diddly-do. I didn't mention but I also have the GC Controller adapter, figured it was a given but just saying in case it wasn't clear. I'll be there with everything +TV + Power tree. In need of another folding table? I can bring one of those too.
That's Awesome! I think we're ok on the table though.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
lol you should give the customs a try while you can!
Not if it means l won't be comfortable with the character. l've played lke for a few months until Cloud came out, and since then, l haven't been able to play him very well. Nothing a few games won't fix, but l don't care about him too much anymore.

Top Bottom