• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pressing up to hover

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
So I actually enjoy Peach's moveset in Smash 4. She has good mobility, nice air moves, and is a solid well-rounded character.

However there's one thing that has prevented me from playing her in every game, and that's the damn "press up to initiate hover" she seems to have. It's like having tap to jump that you can't turn off and for me personally it's infuriating.

Any tips on dealing with this?

Awesomecakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stef-Pie
3DS FC
3093-7191-2175
hold down to hover. Doing this while also pressing jump will cause you to go into float at whatever height you pressed down at. I'm pretty sure holding up only lets you do it at the peak of your jump. You can still move left and right well enough by angling the stick to the side. And using the second stick for aerials lets you do any aerial while moving in float.

hope this answers your question.

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
hold down to hover. Doing this while also pressing jump will cause you to go into float at whatever height you pressed down at. I'm pretty sure holding up only lets you do it at the peak of your jump. You can still move left and right well enough by angling the stick to the side. And using the second stick for aerials lets you do any aerial while moving in float.

hope this answers your question.
Well, I'm embarrassed because for a long time I didn't know about this, only the inferior up to hover. But even now that I'm aware of the better method, I still constantly do the other one by accident.

it's honestly to the point where I don't know if I can play this character due to the amount of concentration it takes to not ever hit up while in the air...

Wondering if there's any good way to train myself against it

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
i personally use z to jump and use cstick for aerials. maybe not z for you, but mapping another shoulder button to jump might help you out a lot. (i grab with x lol)

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
Yup. Hitting Down and Jump (hold) at the same time immeditely puts you in hover at the lowest point which is really useful for you hover players (i personally dont use it too much on the ground)

I can see how it would be super useful for certain setups though. Especially with Forward and Neutral Air.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
ground float nair is actually amazing since it's almost instant and at low %s you can get a grab from it, you can combo out of it and at high %s you can kill with it. it's actually a pretty great punish out of shield as well.

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
This is helpful stuff I guess but it's not really related to my concern... I guess I would only be satisfied if my problem was removed from the game...

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
well, with what i was saying in my first comment, i was trying to get across that you don't have to push up on the control stick much at all if you use that scheme. i really only need to push up when i'm DIing and up b-ing and that will never put me in float because i'm either in hitstun while DIing or if i'm up b-ing i've probably already used my float. my only complaint with float is that i wish we got it back after grabbing the ledge, but that's just too greedy :3

HAMnEGGS

Smash Apprentice
My issue with up-to-float is accidentally floating when all I wanted was an up-b.

Example: I'm edgeguarding and I go for a ledge trump. Fraudulent me misses the trump and start falling. Up-b back to the ledge and now my float is gone because my up-input was read as "float" because Up and B weren't pressed at the exact same time. So now I can't ledge float as an option to get back on stage.

Is there a way around this (besides b-stick)?

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
well, with what i was saying in my first comment, i was trying to get across that you don't have to push up on the control stick much at all if you use that scheme. i really only need to push up when i'm DIing and up b-ing and that will never put me in float because i'm either in hitstun while DIing or if i'm up b-ing i've probably already used my float. my only complaint with float is that i wish we got it back after grabbing the ledge, but that's just too greedy :3
I get what you're saying, my issue is accidental inputs because I guess I hold the controller in a weird way or something. Sadly I don't see this being addressed as it doesn't seem to be a problem for most people I've talked to.

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
it would be great if they just turned it off with "turn tap jump off"... it annoys me too =\
Agreed.

It gets me a lot when I'm DIing upwards... instantly wasting the float as soon as the hitstun ends. Also sometimes I accidentally keep floating during/after an uair when I don't mean to.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
lol, you don't need to keep holding up once you've input the DI, just start holding toward the stage before your hitstun ends.

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
lol, you don't need to keep holding up once you've input the DI, just start holding toward the stage before your hitstun ends.
Meh, bad habits trying to avoid the side blast zone I guess.

Plus I've never actually found a perfect explanation of how exactly to DI lol. You alter the direction of your launch vector by inputting a direction... do you only need to be holding the direction at the moment of being hit or for some number of frames afterwards... or do you have a certain frame window after being struck to input a DI and if so again is this a single flick of the stick or a prolonged hold? How much impact do you actually have, i.e., what percentage of the weighted average between the directions of the impact and input vectors that make up the direction of the actual launch vector is due to each of the two sources? After you're able to let go of the stick (DI input is done), what further impact do you have on your launch before hitstun ends (I ask because you suggest "holding towards the stage before hitstun ends" but I can't tell if this actually does anything or if it's just a sarcastic way to tell me to stop holding up on the stick)?

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
you can only input your DI before or during the hit. any sort of trajectory alteration after the hit and before hitstun ends would be considered vectoring, which was removed from the game. holding toward the stage simply allows you to alter your air speed and shift your momentum as early as possible after hitstun. as a last resort you can simply jump as jumping will negate any sort of aerial momentum you may have, but on several occasions i've witnessed death after a jump anyway, and it's typically not good to waste your jump early unless you have multiple or you think it absolutely necessary for survival.

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
you can only input your DI before or during the hit. any sort of trajectory alteration after the hit and before hitstun ends would be considered vectoring, which was removed from the game. holding toward the stage simply allows you to alter your air speed and shift your momentum as early as possible after hitstun. as a last resort you can simply jump as jumping will negate any sort of aerial momentum you may have, but on several occasions i've witnessed death after a jump anyway, and it's typically not good to waste your jump early unless you have multiple or you think it absolutely necessary for survival.
Didn't vectoring alter the magnitude of the launch vector, not trajectory (direction)? Was vectoring actually doable for the entire duration of hitstun?

So basically you DI on or before hit (does anyone know the frame window to input it, do you input for the entire window or only momentarily, and if the latter what happens if you input multiple directions in the window?), and once actually launched you're basically helpless till hitstun ends, at which point you just begin to recover.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
My issue with up-to-float is accidentally floating when all I wanted was an up-b.

Example: I'm edgeguarding and I go for a ledge trump. Fraudulent me misses the trump and start falling. Up-b back to the ledge and now my float is gone because my up-input was read as "float" because Up and B weren't pressed at the exact same time. So now I can't ledge float as an option to get back on stage.

Is there a way around this (besides b-stick)?
My honest advice is to go into training mode and keep UP B'ing the ledge for 25 minutes and make that UP B timing without floating a muscle memory thing. I gaurantee you this very boring investment will remove your problem forever. I agree with you that I wish it didn't happen, but since it does, its crucial for any peach player for this not to happen to, it can cost you a stock, so it's more important than any approach or combo you can do.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
I've been considering putting jump on a bumper or Trigger since holding Down + Jump puts you into instant float. Could be an wasy way to quickly transition to Floats If i could train myself to do it.

Ive already stopped using the triggers since the Pro Controller ones hurt my hands over time for some damn reason. Bumpers work great

Top Bottom