• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Premium Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
Thinking about becoming a premium member? Not sure if you want to? Please ask questions or discuss the new premium membership system here, described in this post

Just a quick recap of that post with some features of premium membership:
  • Post Attatchments
  • Use Profile Pictures
  • Upload your own custom avatar to our server
  • Change custom title
  • No banners or popups on all styles!
  • Exclusive styles not available to regular members
  • yourname@smashboards.com email forwarder
  • Can now purchase for only one month!

Current premium members are welcome to chime in their two cents too!

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
Yes, it is instant. The only thing that is not instant is an e-check (which takes 3-4 days for paypal to clear).

Actually, bandwidth isn't a problem. Our current server can handle 1500 gigs of bandwidth a month :p

So your 2 clams will help pay for that server :p

Much thanks!

Edit: Moving the last two replied to Announcements Discussion as the Announcement room isn't supposed to have replies.

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
It's a shame that the server is so expensive to run that you have to resort to somthing gay like charging people to post attachments, custom avatars, etc. Never have I heard such a thing before I came here. And what do you people have agenst animated avatars anyway?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
1. Before premium membership, the only way to get a custom Arvitar was to win a contest.

2. There weren't many contests.

3. If you dont wat to pay, DONT. I have and I love it.

4. Before VB3, we couldn't post attachments. This way everyone doesn't post 10 attachments each, filling up the server.

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gnight said:
It's a shame that the server is so expensive to run that you have to resort to somthing gay like charging people to post attachments, custom avatars, etc. Never have I heard such a thing before I came here. And what do you people have agenst animated avatars anyway?
Basically.. SWF is providing a free service to you. You can opt to pay a little money to allow a service you use to continue to run. As a reward for this, you get access to a few privilages that aren't normally open to users. You aren't being charged to use a service, you're being rewarded with extra features on top of the functionality of a normally free service.

I don't see what the big deal is, things like attachments are normally restricted on large message boards anyway.

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
Qwester said:
Basically.. SWF is providing a free service to you. You can opt to pay a little money to allow a service you use to continue to run. As a reward for this, you get access to a few privilages that aren't normally open to users. You aren't being charged to use a service, you're being rewarded with extra features on top of the functionality of a normally free service.

I don't see what the big deal is, things like attachments are normally restricted on large message boards anyway.
I forgot to add that you guys are the only people that charge for little stuff that's usually free on other fourms. I'm not going to bash you guys since ya'll have to resort to somthing this unusuall to pay for an expensive-*** server.

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll say it again. You're not being charged for anything. You're being rewarded for your service to SWF. Yes the server is expensive to run, but you're not being charged for using it. Gideon has fronted up cash so you can enjoy the wonderful world of SWF and isn't asking anything in return for you to use it. Being the generous soul that he is.. you will be rewarded as an incentive to donate. Note: DONATE!

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Gnight said:
I forgot to add that you guys are the only people that charge for little stuff that's usually free on other fourms. I'm not going to bash you guys since ya'll have to resort to somthing this unusuall to pay for an expensive-*** server.
If you prefer I'm sure we can work out a system where everything is free, anyone can have custom anything, and SWF disappears in a few months because there's no real income.

We're not restricting content, we didn't remove features that everyone could use before, and if you ask me there's not a whole lot wrong with the free experience -- now you have the option to get more than was ever available on SWF. We're sorry if you don't like it, but dedicated servers are pricey and the money's coming from somewhere. This helps Gid cut losses, not make extra.

And guys (anyone else), there's no real need to be overly aggressive. Let's just restrict this topic to questions and such about premium membership from those interested in helping out.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Lets say I just bought saphire membership while meaning to purchase emerald (there's three buttons for every option and I was low on sleep). Could I simply upgrade to half a year of saphire and pay the difference, or am I just SOL till the saphire wears out? I don't really care that much about it in the case that there's nothing you can do about it. I purchased mostly just to support smashboards.

Matthew "Demo" Rak

Bad at Smash
Slippi.gg
Demo#0
Against*

The problem with animated avatars is that they take up quite a bit more space than non-animted avatars, plus it slows down pageloads.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I have a question. Can Canadians get Premium? I'm going to guess the prices are american, so IE for 1-Year Diamond, I'd pay $25.00 (USD), translated to $30.59 (CAD)?

Basically, is there regiion restriction to Premium? i've seen a couple sites that were US only, so i decided to ask.

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
Nope, we have premium membership from all over the globe - Canadiens are fine too :)

Yes, prices are USD. I think paypal can do the conversion if you have it, though.

Vinnie275

Smash Master
Xdadepsak's Closet, along with Ender, Mkiller, and
Yeah, and you remember that's what you get for overcharging me for those delicious French croissants, frost cap.

Gideon if you had a super cool ultra-premium account that was like $35 a month but had super privileges I would probably try it. It would have to have cool stuff like making your name glow iridescent colors or two titles.

Lange

Smash Journeyman
Does buying any of the types of premium member get you any rewards on the site as far as anything towards a certain position or priviledges? I was wondering because I might be more interested in buying premium membership once I have done more on these boards and been here a bit longer.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Depending on what one you chose. Diamond membership, for example gives you acess to the Broom/Sbroom. The lower ones also let you do things like custom titles, avatars, ect.

Full details can be found here

Lange

Smash Journeyman
ItalianPlayerBoi said:
What does being able to post attachements mean anyway?
Posting attachments and such means you can post up extra files on your posts. This means you can post up documents, files, and other things.

rezz

Smash Journeyman
i got the dimend for one year cose im going to be hear till the end but i still dont git what the forword e-mail is can some one help me out on that?

Zenith

Smash Ace
So what signs show that you are a premium member?
Is it just the Mushroom?
Cause I am thinking about getting a Emerald membership for a year. Thx on the low costs.

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
rezz said:
i got the dimend for one year cose im going to be hear till the end but i still dont git what the forword e-mail is can some one help me out on that?

please send an email or PM me and I can setup your email forwarder for you. make sure you include what name you want@smashboards.com

-Gid

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
Hey, is there any way I can see when my membership expires, or will I just suddenly not have a purple mushroom one day?

FLCLalex

Smash Apprentice
Somewhere Near Medical Mechanica...err I mean Sout
I had a few Q's about the accounts, i am planning on buying the diamond account soon but i wanted to know a few things about it first. Hokay:
Would i Become a Broomer?
Whats the Difference between the BackRoom and the SmashBackroom.
With the account, will i be able to change my names color, and if so, what colors are available?
How big can the avatar be?
How long can the title be? Would, "Is It Fooly or Cooly?" fit?

I might have some more, but i cant remember them at this moment.

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes. You would become a BRoomer.
The BR is a social thing, while the SBR is for discussing smash.
Name colour shows which group(s) you are an active memeber of; the colours premium members automatically get access to are silver, purple and green.
75x75 pixels.
Yes.

nada

Smash Rookie
i literally just donated for a year of diamond and i really have no regrets. ive lurked smashboards for a while, though ive recently become a member. i like supporting gaming, and this is of no disservice to me.

later

edit: but uhm, while the guy above me has an emrald icon, is there no diamond?

rezz

Smash Journeyman
nada said:
i literally just donated for a year of diamond and i really have no regrets. ive lurked smashboards for a while, though ive recently become a member. i like supporting gaming, and this is of no disservice to me.

later

edit: but uhm, while the guy above me has an emrald icon, is there no diamond?
umm just to let you know you cant have avatars that move its got somthing to do with banthath (sorry dont know how to spell it)

and yes thear is he just isent a dimond mimber

nada

Smash Rookie
didnt know about the moving avatar images.. thanks,will change.

anyway, last night i didnt have the diamond mushroom. guess it just appeared.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Okay.
After purchasing a Diamond or Emerald membership, will the changes you make to your title remain after the membership expires? Also, with the diamond membership, does access to the Broom come to a stop aswell when it expires? I figured I would purchase a Sapphire membership to see how it goes, then purchase an Emerald or a Diamond. This is one of my most visited sites, so I thought I might as well support it.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
especially if you dont use the word get in sentances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom