• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predictability: can it be practiced?

RIT Monkey

Smash Rookie
HI, I'm new to Sonic and have been reading and watching as much as I can (very informative guides and data on this forum) and the thing that was made most obvious was that I can't be predictable with sonic and I need to learn how to predict what my opponent will do with sonic. I'm not very good at this and since I want to master this character I need a way to practice this. If there is no way to practice it then I assume that it comes with experience. Any help is appreciated. :)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Like Chis said, and yes, it comes frome experience.

As you play the game more against real people, picking up on player habits and reactions becomes much easier and also very necessary, especially with a character like Sonic who feeds on such baiting and reacting gameplay.

:093:

Umby

Smash Master
You don't necessarily have to predict the opponent's movements, but move at them in a way that normally spurs an action from them. After that, use your instinct and situational knowledge to try and punish them for taking that action or fall back into defense.

edit: to answer the thread title's question, to some extent unpredictability can be practiced. Fiddle around in training mode with movement tricks (Not necessarily DDP). Try to use a temporary mindset that says "I'm in the middle of a maneuver, but this isn't going to work, let's try and switch it up last second." Instead of using common follow-ups, neglect that follow up to run around and come back with something else. It's all about experimenting. Though make sure you use common sense as well. Otherwise you'll end up like me.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
To give an example of what Umby is talking about, let's just say after every Dthrow you immediatley start to charge DownB.

Instead of doing that, look into other options you can do, like run past them and punish their getup with a Bair, or run around and grab wherever they get up. Practice things like that, and before you know it you'll have 10 different options for every Dthrow xD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Unless your opponent knows how to tech D-Throw and plays a character that can abuse it (A.K.A. anybody but MK and Jigglypuff that we know to this point in time), then you'll probably want to switch it up to mindf*** them with F-Throw.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I was just making an example Kinzer, no need to break his heart yet about Dthrow ):<

Also, I proved that Marth has no options out of Dthrow tech.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Also like I said, say everytime you spin dash they side step the expected roll. Now charge it, bait the side step, shield cancel and punish.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Dancing Blade is an option for EVERYTHING.

Are you sure DB doesn't work?
I tested it with my friend and it didn't work.

However, there always is a possibility that we were off in the timing, so if you'd like to test, go ahead. I'll probably try it the next time I have the chance too.

I'm pretty sure Marth's tech is too long though.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Camalange, he might as well get learned right now before my mistake/backstab on Sonic/discovery hurts him on the battlefield. :(

But yeah, just learning what options you have when and where I believe is enough to be unpredictable... you don't even need to know you have the options if you're good enough to just adapt to the Brawl.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
DB is the same frame as jab for Marth, right? If so then Sonic is at an advantage in the situation where a Marth techs the Dthrow.
Also like I said, say everytime you spin dash they side step the expected roll. Now charge it, bait the side step, shield cancel and punish.
This is the most common one I experience, not that I spam it or anything. On the reading your opponent thing, common sense / noticing opponent's habits are both highly important.

RIT Monkey

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the help, it all makes a lot of sense
@chis: sorry for the mess up in my post, thought the two phrases were basically the same

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Sonic has so many ways to approach but once ppl learn all the ways ur screwed. What I typically start with is a spin dash. I charge it up to wait and see what my opponent does. They may start jumping around or spot dodging or shielding. Then you can release when they r in a vulnerable position. There are like 20 ways to come out of a spin dash like, up-air, or HA, or just jumping out b4 releasing and more. Make sure u use all known ways to approach an opponent. If u cant end the fight b4 then...then u may be screwed.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You're not necessarily screwed once people figure out Sonic.

They still have to correctly guess which one you're going to do next.

Sonic has many options, what gets you punished, is you.

Top Bottom