• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pre-tourney rituals?

At the tournament, if there's enough space to walk around and the competition is bad enough for me to place top 4, I'll walk in circles to keep my heart pumping well to help me play better when I get summoned for my next game if there aren't enough setups for friendlies

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
This will sound weird but, I like to cut my nails 3 days before a tourney. So that come tourney day, your nails are clean and short, but the three days gives it time to grow to a comfortable length so that it's not that short

Anyways....... good night sleep and good breakfast is typical

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
I never really thought about this. I think I want to start a routine though, most of the tourneys I go to I have to drive 1+ hours so I try to have a good breakfast before I leave and bring water + healthy snacks to keep me energized, I might have to try the walking thing also, and good night sleep is a must.

<LyKos>

Smash Cadet
Pre-tourney, I don't do any specific, tangible "rituals." Mostly I work on focusing my thoughts like a laser beam and compartmentalizating them, hurling aside any nervousness I have.

At the tourney, especially if I have a big match coming up, I either sit away from crowds or pace around in a fairly large circle in the venue (both instances with my iPod on high volume). All the while, my internal arrogance and pride are skyrocketing, amping me up by telling me no one in the world stands a chance against me lol

JudgeCheerio

Smash Rookie
#Swagalopolis AKA City of Hella-down Brown Homies
Find a straw, get a needle or a similar small metal glaive, attach some fletching materials i.e., colored feathers from Michaels. Look for anywhere where flies like to congregate around the venue; garbage cans and dumpsters are the usual suspects. Shoot down some of those homies and a melee tournament is nothing.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I like to play an inordinate amount to morning of the day before, then none the night before, sleep 9 hours, and then warm up for at least an hour at the tournament. I also find that studying matches the night before is a great way to keep myself thinking about the game and analyzing my play constantly against others' play.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Buy a sandwich at the variety store near my house. I eat half partway through the tourney, and the other half later on. That way I don't have to eat McDonalds or whatever other fast food is around the area, and I'm not hungry either. I also bring some aspirin with me usually too, in case of headaches or the like.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
If I got a tournament I know I'm going to I'll start eating healthier and exercising a bit more than usual. This will start much earlier than a day before though lol. If it's before matches I usually just try to keep my hands warm and drink some water, having a big bottle of water with you at a hot as **** tournament with tons of people is underrated.

Top Bottom