• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Pre-load now live for Super Smash Bros. Wii U in North America and Europe

the8thark

Smash Lord
Pre-load now live for Super Smash Bros. Wii U in North America and Europe

REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– It’s no secret that video game fans are beyond eager to get their hands on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. To help shoppers avoid the day-one rush, Nintendo is offering a few ways for people to get their hands on the game as soon as possible after it launches in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

Starting now, Wii U owners can pre-purchase Super Smash Bros. for Wii U directly from the Nintendo eShop or by purchasing a download code for the game from participating retailers. At the time of pre-purchase, much of the game’s data will be pre-loaded to the purchaser’s Wii U system if it is in Standby mode. As soon as the game releases in the Nintendo eShop at midnight Eastern time on Nov. 21, the final data needed to unlock the full game will automatically download.

Super Smash Bros for Wii U has also been available for pre-order on Nintendo.com. Today Nintendo announces that these pre-orders will also support the same pre-load capability. Within 72 hours of the game’s release date, people who have pre-ordered the digital version of the game on Nintendo.com using their Nintendo Network ID will be emailed a redemption code. Once they redeem the code, they will also be able to pre-load the game.

These pre-purchase and pre-load options offer a tremendous benefit to players, who will be among the first people able to play the game once it arrives on their Wii U systems.

For more information about the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U game, visit http://www.smashbros.com/us.
I hope Australia/Japan can do this as well for the folk who are into this kind of thing.

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/pre-l...smash-bros-wii-u-in-north-america-and-europe/

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Misnomer. The code is sent within 72 hours of release to pre-load.
On they're official website, they state that you can also pre-purchase the game from the e-shop and download the full game, which won't be playable until you download a patch which will be available midnight EST. For me, this means all I have to do is download a small patch at 10pm my time and I can play Super Smash Bros. Wii U without waiting for the full game to download. I'm currently downloading the full game from the e-shop as I type this and it's around 11.9GB.

Last edited:

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
On they're official website, they state that you can also pre-purchase the game from the e-shop and download the full game, which won't be playable until midnight EST. I'm currently downloading the full game from the e-shop as I type this and it's around 11.6GB.
Hm, interesting. They deleted the posts on Facebook that said 72 hours and updated it with the new info. Brilliant move on Nintendo's part.

SpotterX4

Smash Rookie
I'm a little confused. Does this mean people will be playing Sm4sh 3 days prior to retail release? or does this mean you can download the game early and will be allowed to play on midnight release?

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I'm a little confused. Does this mean people will be playing Sm4sh 3 days prior to retail release? or does this mean you can download the game early and will be allowed to play on midnight release?
It means that you can download the game early and will be allowed to play at midnight on the release date rather than waiting to download it at that point.

On a side note, Disc for me, this time. I got the 3DS one from the eShop but I don't trust Smash being stored on my external HDD. I'd hate to have to download it again.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So what is the filesize? One site is reporting it to be 12 GB, other says it is 17GB and yet another one says it is 15GB. Confused I am.

linhgame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Linh-Game
3DS FC
1736-0779-8050
Woah nice gonna download right now! The game will be on my Wii U without being played o.O

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
So what is the filesize? One site is reporting it to be 12 GB, other says it is 17GB and yet another one says it is 15GB. Confused I am.
Yeah, I'm getting conflicting reports myself. The download size for me is 11.9GB. I'm assuming the rest of the data will be downloaded via midnight EST which could very well equal up to 17GB or however much there is for this game. All I know is that this beats having to download a crap ton of data come 10PM my time so that's good.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The eShop file size is 17GB, the size on disc is like 11,900 MB

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Basically, it's telling you how much memory needs to be free on your Wii U console before you can download the software. This includes not just the software itself, but also the game data, shared data, and update data that comes with it.

You basically need to have 15.6 GB of free space on your Wii U or portable hard drive, or else you can't perform the pre-order.

If you've pre-ordered the retail copy, however, then you only have to worry about the game data, shared data, and update data taking up hard drive space.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Welp, I was hoping it was 11GB, so I wouldn't need to delete one my games temporarily. Gomen Monster Hunter, I will download you again someday.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm so happy they got this supported in time. This is like a 4 hour download for me, seems that Nintendo is the bottleneck. (Understandable)

It would be a disaster if NoA's CDN had to transmit a few petabytes of data next Thursday night.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is great, but um, question.

If i pre-ordered BEFORE this went live.... how do I take advantage of this?
If you've pre-ordered the retail version, you could always ask for a refund if you still have the receipt. However, because the digital version will take quite a while to download, you might be better off getting the retail version. It's a preference matter though.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I believe this is done so the servers are not hammered on release way with a million or so people trying to download the entire game of release day. This way you can download 99% of the game now and only have one little patch to download on release day to activate the game so you can play it.
Blizzard do this now also, and it's a good system. Less server stress on release day and t people get into the game much quicker (less to download on release day).

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I'm very glad that I only have to download a patch when the game releases digitally now and I can download 99% of the game, saving me hours to download and wait to actually play Smash Bros. Wii U. The only part I don't like is that the Super Smash Bros. Wii U icon is teasing me on my Home Menu, yet whenever I press it, a notification comes up and tells me the game hasn't released yet so I can't play it. It's like a present you know your getting for Christmas and you know exactly what it looks like, but you can't open it until Christmas Day. Thank goodness the Mario Kart DLC comes out tomorrow. That should keep me occupied until the game comes out next week.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'm very glad that I only have to download a patch when the game releases digitally now and I can download 99% of the game, saving me hours to download and wait to actually play Smash Bros. Wii U. The only part I don't like is that the Super Smash Bros. Wii U icon is teasing me on my Home Menu, yet whenever I press it, a notification comes up and tells me the game hasn't released yet so I can't play it. It's like a present you know your getting for Christmas and you know exactly what it looks like, but you can't open it until Christmas Day. Thank goodness the Mario Kart DLC comes out tomorrow. That should keep me occupied until the game comes out next week.
Would you care to upload a screenshot of this "can't play SSB4 WiiU" notification so we can all see it? I'd like that.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Would you care to upload a screenshot of this "can't play SSB4 WiiU" notification so we can all see it? I'd like that.
So here's the game in question. As you can see it's on the Home Menu teasing me. :c

When I tap on the icon, a message comes up saying "searching for updates" or something like that. I'm assuming it's looking for the patch that will be released when the game launches digitally or 12AM EST. And here is the notification I get when it can't find the update it's looking for.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
So here's the game in question. As you can see it's on the Home Menu teasing me. :c
Thank you so much for this.
And yes it's going to be a long and hard wait for us. Roughly 1 or 2 weeks depending on where you live.
And you have a lot of WIiU games, Nice.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Thank you so much for this.
And yes it's going to be a long and hard wait for us. Roughly 1 or 2 weeks depending on where you live.
Roughly 1 for me since I live in Canada, but it will indeed be a long and difficult wait. At least I have plenty of other games I still need to complete or can play, Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors being two I can think of right now.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer

When I tap on the icon, a message comes up saying "searching for updates" or something like that. I'm assuming it's looking for the patch that will be released when the game launches digitally or 12AM EST. And here is the notification I get when it can't find the update it's looking for.

Hahaha I was about to make a post just like this.

Part of me already regrets preloading it. Maybe I should move the smash icon to the second page.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Hahaha I was about to make a post just like this.

Part of me already regrets preloading it. Maybe I should move the smash icon to the second page.
Well considering Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors have me occupied for the time being, the waiting isn't so bad. I don't see the icon as much anymore either because I usually just use the quick start menu for the Wii U. :p

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Roughly 1 for me since I live in Canada, but it will indeed be a long and difficult wait. At least I have plenty of other games I still need to complete or can play, Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors being two I can think of right now.
Dude. Your glass is half full. I beat the crap out of Hyrule Warriors and just finished Bayonetta2. Though I still have some challenges to take care of

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Dude. Your glass is half full. I beat the crap out of Hyrule Warriors and just finished Bayonetta2. Though I still have some challenges to take care of
Indeed it is half full. I'm not complaining that's for sure, but it's still a long wait all the same. Thankfully, like I said previous, I have the MK8 DLC and Hyrule Warriors to keep me occupied for the time being. Oh and the occasional Smash Bros. 3DS For Glory matches of course. X3

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Indeed it is half full. I'm not complaining that's for sure, but it's still a long wait all the same. Thankfully, like I said previous, I have the MK8 DLC and Hyrule Warriors to keep me occupied for the time being. Oh and the occasional Smash Bros. 3DS For Glory matches of course. X3
The MK8 dlc honestly and sadly has me in great anticipation as to how the smash dlc will be. Also, let me give you some advice. Play the Hyrule Warriors. The mindless fun in that game is similar to being in a drug induced stupor (im probably not selling this well) and 5 days is more than enough time before it starts to feel redundant.
But seriously, the digital releases on eShop should be earlier as added incentive.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
The MK8 dlc honestly and sadly has me in great anticipation as to how the smash dlc will be. Also, let me give you some advice. Play the Hyrule Warriors. The mindless fun in that game is similar to being in a drug induced stupor (im probably not selling this well) and 5 days is more than enough time before it starts to feel redundant.
But seriously, the digital releases on eShop should be earlier as added incentive.
I know all too well how you feel, both in regards to my expectations for Smash Bros. DLC thanks to the MK8 DLC, and also the addiction that is known as Hyrule Warriors. When Hyrule Warriors came out, I couldn't put that game down for a good 5 days straight, minus bathroom breaks, eating, occasional socializing via the internet and outside of it, showering, dressing myself, and just generally taking care of my myself. :p It really is just mindless fun but the best kind of mindless fun. It helps that the music is awesome and the combos rarely get old, along with the specials. Not to mention the insane amount of content and high difficulty when you get through some of the later portions of the Adventure maps.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
I know all too well how you feel, both in regards to my expectations for Smash Bros. DLC thanks to the MK8 DLC, and also the addiction that is known as Hyrule Warriors. When Hyrule Warriors came out, I couldn't put that game down for a good 5 days straight, minus bathroom breaks, eating, occasional socializing via the internet and outside of it, showering, dressing myself, and just generally taking care of my myself. :p It really is just mindless fun but the best kind of mindless fun. It helps that the music is awesome and the combos rarely get old, along with the specials. Not to mention the insane amount of content and high difficulty when you get through some of the later portions of the Adventure maps.
You sir... Are an educated and well cultured man! *1 tear of brotherhood awarded*

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I'm excited for a pre-load, but on the other hand i still can't decide if i want to do that, or purchase the disc.
I've made a pro and con list and all that jazz. I just cant decide.

Top Bottom