• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

practicing

Joeshmoe

Smash Cadet
how did you guys practice teching, powershielding, and the other advanced moves that involves you getting hit? i really need to practice so i can beat event match 49. (call me bad at ssbm but i cannot beat ganon cuz roy gives me heavy damage). thanks to everyone who replies!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :pimp:

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
eh. how bouts you beat all the events and get ur stages and stoff b4 gettin involved in advanced stuff? srry that was mean.

u cant avoid getting hit by a computer...theyre computers and have inhuman timing. if u can shffl well then you shouldnt have a problem against compies. hang around the edge and edgeguard them, computers are often ******** on sweetspotting ledges so charge up that fsmash!

later on if u wanna practice like stoff where people try to hit u and that, get a level 9 samus or fox on FD and powershield her missles or his blasts. teching...usually lvl9s do something like jabjabjab and when u shield they grab and trhow you...so then you can practice teching there when u hit the ground. for spike recoveries...dunno...falcon likes going out for the spike sometimes but it may be hard to set up the scenario to make a coputer do that....are you sure you really cant have a friend over to practice with???

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
As the above poster mentioned, I recommend beating the events and unlocking everything before moving to competitive stuff.

beebee

Smash Apprentice
go to youtube.com
they have people with different techinques ot beat them

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
In the shadows. Or NE Ohio. Whichever sounds bette
When it comes to powersheilding, I just sit on one end of FD and have a lvl 9 Samus or Falco fight me. They fire missiles/lasers half the time, so it really works out well. Plus it's moderately random when they fire, but not enough to prep you for a real match. But against a CP it still works out.

Joeshmoe

Smash Cadet
thanx guy but i havent unlocked fd yet, thats why i want to know how to do these things. im having trouble with mewtwo strikes, trophy tussle 3, number 49 and pikachu and pichu. i'm really trying to get fd so i can practice stuff better. also, ne tips on how not to kill ur thumb while playing? for some reason whenever i play ssbm, my thumb hurts afterward. it may be cuz i use the sides of the control stick to move, but i dont know. btw, how do u unlock the bonus lvls from the original smash game? i forgot how to do it.

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah (duh) of course you haven't. Man, that was stupid of me :psycho:

Umm, do you have any mates that you can recruit? You could go to Hyrule and practice, have someone stand on the pillar and you stand way off to the left, (for powershielding). Just have them shoot stuff at you randomly.

For teching, I just go into versus and have a low level character hit me at a high damage, try screwing around with the handicaps to start off quickly.

You'll also really want to practice DI (directional influence), if you haven't already. That's vital to many situations. Go here for eveything you need to know: Doraki's guide to DI, etc. etc., blah blah blah

I would keep my thumb on top of the Control stick, only use the sides when doing quick C-stick flicks.

Joeshmoe

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah (duh) of course you haven't. Man, that was stupid of me :psycho:

Umm, do you have any mates that you can recruit? You could go to Hyrule and practice, have someone stand on the pillar and you stand way off to the left, (for powershielding). Just have them shoot stuff at you randomly.

For teching, I just go into versus and have a low level character hit me at a high damage, try screwing around with the handicaps to start off quickly.

You'll also really want to practice DI (directional influence), if you haven't already. That's vital to many situations. Go here for eveything you need to know: Doraki's guide to DI, etc. etc., blah blah blah

I would keep my thumb on top of the Control stick, only use the sides when doing quick C-stick flicks.
for some reason, my c-stick doesnt do the smash moves - i always rely on the control stick + a to do them. i dont know if this is bad or not, but it works for me. and none of my friends r really that great at super smash nor would want to help me by shooting me in practice mode...:(

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
Well, the C-stick is also used for other things, like aerials. It allows you to perform an aerial without having to move in that direction, so like doing a retreating fair and dair without fastfalling. Of course, the C-stick only works in VS mode, so don't worry about using it in 1p.

If you don't have any friends who can help you, I guess the only thing I can say is to go to the flattest stage possible and try powersheilding some CP's projectiles.

Rock Lobsta

Smash Journeyman
just dont practice powershielding, computers make it look easy because theyre computers. Go watch a pro match andI bet you'll only see a powershield every 5 videos.

Smash Master
To practice teching, set motion sensor bombs around the bottom of hyrule temple (in training mode.) Then stand on one, get bounced around until you tech, and try not to die.

Joeshmoe

Smash Cadet
thanx guys. i think i might have to change my frequency on my controller (its a wireless microcon) to be able to use the c-stick. i didnt think of using it for fairs/dairs/uairs/bairs. it might help me with my SHFFLing. i only have one more event match till i unlock 51 now^^. i beat the other ones this morning. also, im wondering how to beat pichus break the targets at the platform part, and how to get the target in the box for young link. thanx for all your help, guys!

Joeshmoe

Smash Cadet
whoo!i beat event match 51, so how do u unlock the extra lvls from the first ssb? is it me or is number 44 harder than 51? it took me like 50 tries to beat 44 but only 4 for 51. :pimp:

Joeshmoe

Smash Cadet
Not really I stoled my freind's memory card(ya...I'm pathetic) five mouths into serious play.
FD is realy important. The best way to train is training mode(ohhh... a paradox)
*gasp* why would you steal your friends memory card? are you evil or something? atleast i finally unlocked fd so i can practice now. i wish i could somehow set it so that when my friends and i battle, fd is the only stage that can be used.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
Meh, the easiest way to 'practice' powershielding would have the 2nd controller be Falco, and use your toe on the B button to repeatedly laser you, across FD.
I guess the same could be true for ledge-techs, too. Be Falcon and up+B to a ledge, but have your toe repeatedly do Peach's dsmash.

Anyway, none of the technical stuff won't improve your game as much as practicing the game's many combo possibilities. Play lv. 1 CPUs (or, if you don't use the C-Stick for aerials/smashes, do Training Mode instead; I suggest setting the CPU on 'evade.' It'll make you faster, guarantee it.)

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
yeah, c-stick is disabled in training mode, making it hard to practice shffling dairs and stuff. It only works in multiplayer mode. but in vs mode, you can go to custom rules if you've done enough battles and choose the stages for random select if you only want fd.
Pretty much read the stickys, play level ones to practice comboes, and try to find a human to practice against.

Top Bottom