• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing with lev 9 cpu

Liam.m123

Smash Rookie
NNID
liamAutism2
Hi so I have a incredible question. So few days ago and almost everyday, I practice against cpu, Is it really the best way for practice?

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
No, not really, but it's what I do most of the time. If you don't have anyone to practice with, you could always go online. If For Glory isn't challenging enough for you, you may be able to find an opponent on smashladder.com

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Practicing against computers is a horrible thing to do because computers don't adapt, whereas humans do. There's nothing wrong with going to Training Mode to practice combos on an immobile character of your choice, of course.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I think the best way to practice is to be in a Smashcord. It doesn't have to be one of your characters either; just any Smash 4 related Discord that has matchmaking. You should request for games every now and then. If it takes a while for others to respond, join some more Smash 4 Discords until you can find a perfect sparring partner or two.

Mordecai Hazard

Smash Cadet
The best way of practicing for beginners is level 9 CPU's. After getting a lot better, I suggest playing For Glory 1v1 or Tournaments ( tournaments usually have some really good players, whereas For Glory is full of scrubs, camping, and spam).

Crystanium

Smash Hero
What happens if FG is too hard for you?
Simple. You just need to become battle-hardened. Get beatened like iron so that you're malleable, like steel so that you're tempered, like gold so that you may be refined. Thus, when you fight, you will be prepared. Humans adapt, and those who don't lack the tools to be on top.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I can't shake the feeling that FG has nothing left to teach me. Yet if that's the case, why can't I beat those people? Why would I want to fight even harder people if I already can't beat the average FG player nowadays? 6 months ago, I was much more confident. The overall curve seemed to be aimed at 50/50 and I was happy with that.

Nowadays it feels like 10/90 against me. I feel like I want to give up. Fight the cpu, mess with my mods, make stages. The things I find fun about the game. I'm so excited about what modders have been able to do with this game, and even more excited that I have the necessary tools to make use of their work.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I usually play level 8 CPU's because they don't cheat with their frame-perfect inputs. When I go over to my friend's house, I practice 1v1s with him. He's a :4villager: main, which is great, because when do you see a Villager player in the USA? We both learned how to play Villager, and he's a pretty good player, but I always beat him in the ditto, and he beats me when he plays my main :4tlink:. Which is kind of curious, because if I play Villager optimally, I've basically cut Toon Link's options in half. Boom, pocket a bomb. Boom, I have no idea if Villager can use Toon Link's bombs and whatnot for combos. Maybe I can test that with him. That's one thing you can do with humans. Test things. If you were playing against a CPU, you would have to wait for them to pull out a projectile, and there's a chance they won't. If you play against humans, you can test combos, kill moves, and whatnot, then apply your newfound knowledge to actual matches. Plus, humans will do things that CPU's won't do. For example, my Villager-maining friend usually starts a match by using a Lloid Rocket, followed immediately by planting a tree. I've since learned how to counter Timber (pick characters with reflectors like :4mario: or :4pit:), and then hope he cuts down the tree while you're able to reflect. You can learn these things more easily with human players.

:)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I can't shake the feeling that FG has nothing left to teach me. Yet if that's the case, why can't I beat those people? Why would I want to fight even harder people if I already can't beat the average FG player nowadays? 6 months ago, I was much more confident. The overall curve seemed to be aimed at 50/50 and I was happy with that.

Nowadays it feels like 10/90 against me. I feel like I want to give up. Fight the cpu, mess with my mods, make stages. The things I find fun about the game. I'm so excited about what modders have been able to do with this game, and even more excited that I have the necessary tools to make use of their work.
If you're fighting computers, you should stop. That and your attitude will affect you.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I like fighting cpus though, it's so much fun. That and when my brother and sister come over to play. We have a blast and I get to show them what I know. At least then, I can be the teacher.

My attitude has never changed, it's gotten worse as I've played more competitive games. Nothing got better until I just stepped away from it all. I'm getting better fighting the cpu even, I'm learning more about how to be quicker and reading them better. And it's fun when you actually have a good chance to win.

Most people will say to try a few times to make good on something, and then give up when you realize the effort is pointless.

It's a game. What are we really accomplishing here? If I was the best Smash player in the world, it would accomplish nothing but a few extra funds, and that's if I went to tournaments.

A game is supposed to be relaxing fun, not this nerve-wracking act like I'm going to college BS. I don't want to have to learn very much when I play a game. Heck, I don't even want to have to think too much. I just want to sit back, let my fingers react to what I see on the screen, and have fun. If I'm not laughing, the enjoyment is over.

Most of this board are tournament goers as far as I hear, and most of GameFAQs are morons. Most of my friends that play Smash live over half an hour away... there is no happy middle for me. So what I end up doing is playing Mario Kart, Ultra Smash, or a free online MMO where I actually do well in.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I like fighting cpus though, it's so much fun. That and when my brother and sister come over to play. We have a blast and I get to show them what I know. At least then, I can be the teacher.

My attitude has never changed, it's gotten worse as I've played more competitive games. Nothing got better until I just stepped away from it all. I'm getting better fighting the cpu even, I'm learning more about how to be quicker and reading them better. And it's fun when you actually have a good chance to win.

Most people will say to try a few times to make good on something, and then give up when you realize the effort is pointless.

It's a game. What are we really accomplishing here? If I was the best Smash player in the world, it would accomplish nothing but a few extra funds, and that's if I went to tournaments.

A game is supposed to be relaxing fun, not this nerve-wracking act like I'm going to college BS. I don't want to have to learn very much when I play a game. Heck, I don't even want to have to think too much. I just want to sit back, let my fingers react to what I see on the screen, and have fun. If I'm not laughing, the enjoyment is over.

Most of this board are tournament goers as far as I hear, and most of GameFAQs are morons. Most of my friends that play Smash live over half an hour away... there is no happy middle for me. So what I end up doing is playing Mario Kart, Ultra Smash, or a free online MMO where I actually do well in.
So you're complaining about being worse than the average for glory player but you don't care that you lose because fun is more important.

I don't follow what you are saying. Do you want to improve? Then knowledge is essential. Don't want knowledge? Then you won't improve. Wanting to improve without effort is silly.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
It's a conflicting feeling, as it always has been. I don't feel well, I'll deal with all this crap later...

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
it seems to me that the issue you're reporting came from the lack of confidence you built in. If you care about losing and likes "showing off" your skills to friends, while also wanted to win some for glory games you definitely has some competitor's heat on you. Now if you're trying to give up on that because you feel you are not good enough, hiding the urge to win and be aknowledged by the fear of failing on your way, you're just not trying to be honest with yourself.
There is no problem in taking this game casually, really there isn't. But then you have to stop dreaming about winning, about being good. If it's about having fun, remember what having fun means and turn items on, play smash run, have fun with free-for-alls and 1v1's with your casual friends. If that isn't enough, if you feel you need more, you need to get better, you need to win somehow, grow some courage and leave home for a tourney. Get wrecked. Be upset. Cry if you must. Turn the frustration into your fuel. Lab harder, train harder, lose more, get better. Don't try to cut the steps. It IS a demanding and hard path to get somewhere in any competitive scenario. If you can't accept defeat you won't be able to participate, and that is that. If your losses in the game are being too painfull, take a break. A real break. Come back when you miss it, even the losing part.
But you have to decide whether you want to be inside that or not, whether you're into competition or not, and if you are don't drop the boat too soon nor cut it half. Go to tournaments and get wrecked, until you are the one wrecking people. Every top 8 is made of 8 players alone and if you're not one of them constantly you need to improve a lot. When you get there aim for top 4. If you can't beat all of your locals, you're not good enough. But in before, you have to feel if that is your thing or not. If it is, welcome aboard and it is going to be a hell of a painfull ride to your ego. If not, farewell and have fun being casual.
But you've got to make a decision and embrace it, all of it.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I haven't even been to a local friendly tourney in over a year, let alone anything official requiring an entry fee. I don't have much means to travel often and it would be expensive.

There's always going to be that part of me that dreams of winning, that wants to be better, but I don't have the money nor the self control to deal with it. The 7 dents in my wall are proof I've flown way off the edge already.

Perhaps I do embrace being a "good casual player" more. I can turn on items, play on wacky stages, and switch things around for fun. At the end of the day though, I enjoy not only this game, but others as well. I don't have the will to throw away all my other gaming and just hammer away at this one game. But even with this attitude, it's not like I can't get any better.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
if you like getting good at casual play focus on having fun, testing things, building stages, bob-omb wars, and have fun :)
Forget about getting better or anything like that. Play characters you like, the way you like, abuse moves, forget about stall, RaR and all other techniques... Just let the game flow, have fun, enjoy music, custom moves, mii fighters... Have fun and free yourself.
maybe that'll even make you a better player

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
CPUs are really only good for beginners. Once you've become more of an intermediate player and have discovered the formula for beating level 9s they don't help you, and actually hurt you by teaching you bad habits. That's what I've found anyways. The best way to practice alone is practice mode IMO. For Glory is not bad if you can find someone at your skill level although all FD really hurts your experience on other stages. Anther's is the best option if you can't locally play with people. I'd stick with practice mode if your internet is bad.

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
I also prefer the level 8 CPUs to practise, but for the opposite reason to most. Level 9 CPUs are really easy to beat if you know the trick:

They are programmed to always roll/airdodge/sidestep the moment you press an attack button, but they never react to a charged attack unless realeasing it requires pressing the button a second time. In other words, all you need to do to win is spam Smash attacks, especially Up and Down Smashes, over and over. And the less said about what happens if you corner them in a ledge, the better. They are so dumb on this situation it is almost sad to defeat them there.
The easiest way to test it is with a charged projectile that you charge by holding B, like Greninja's or Corrin's. I am not exageratting by saying you can potentially win without even moving, just by releasing the projectile the instant the roll is about to end. Sometimes, they will shield the fully charged Water Shuriken... and they will ALWAYS drop the shield just in time to get hit by the final hitbox. Similarly, they might powershield a fully charged Dragon Fang Shot, and then drop the shield the moment you release the bite. They might even roll INTO the Water Shuriken if they are too far. It is almost like they intentionally designed the level 9 CPUs to suck against a campy fighter.

Instead, level 8 CPUs seem to know that they can't rely on rolls to win. Today, a level 8 CPU even showed me how to do the "go under Final Destination" trick (or uder Omega Gaur Plains to be precise) with Falco while I was trying to edgeguard it. This is much better than the "best" accomplishments I have seen from level 9 CPUs (in other words, their uncanny accuracy to land right in the middle of the Up Smash I was charging a mile away after sending them near the upper blast wall with a Up Throw).

But I might be biased. After all, I own only the 3ds version, and mine in particular comes from second hand, and it might possibily be a tech test version that accindentally got shipped around instead of a full version.

Last edited:

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
You know the one thing holding me back from getting better? The fact that you have to practically bow down and worship one game and suck at every other game. I'm not willing to do that. I'm reasonably good at about 25 different games. It doesn't matter who dominates each individual game, I can beat them at 10 other games they have no skill at. In other words, I'm a jack of all trades but a master of none. And I like that better than only being decent at one game, but not liking/sucking at everything else.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Not true at all. I am quite good at many games. And quickly improving with this one. This s is enough proof that is possible, statistically.

Top Bottom