• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practice is only good if you practice the right things.

SMOE

Smash Rookie
I would strongly recommend against playing online. The lag will only make you worse when you play on a CRT. Assuming you don't have anyone in your area, just practice techskill and comboing level 1 CPUs. M2K has an excellent thread about how he improved in the early days of his smash career, and trying out combos on level 1's was one of the things he did since he didn't have anyone to play against. Also, if there are any tournaments remotely nearby where you live, attend them. You'll get far more out of playing in a couple tournaments, seeing how your playstyle stacks up against other players and going back into the lab to practice your game than you would out of playing in a laggy online environment.

fennel69

Smash Cadet
Comatose said:
Tap jump is really disadvantageous, especially playing a spacie.
Some players use it. I'm jumping with the stick and I'm probably more technical than most of people here. Lovage also uses tap jump.

Angry Drunk Chav

Smash Cadet
I've watched the advanced videos a couple times over now, like honestly it's an issue of my mechanics atm like I just need to practice over and over and over.

Things like L cancel and teching are not hard to learn at all, it's more so using them enough to a point where it becomes a natural thing to do without thinking about it.

How important is wave dash on falco? lol >.<

WumpaWolfy

Smash Cadet
I would strongly recommend against playing online. The lag will only make you worse when you play on a CRT. Assuming you don't have anyone in your area, just practice techskill and comboing level 1 CPUs. M2K has an excellent thread about how he improved in the early days of his smash career, and trying out combos on level 1's was one of the things he did since he didn't have anyone to play against. Also, if there are any tournaments remotely nearby where you live, attend them. You'll get far more out of playing in a couple tournaments, seeing how your playstyle stacks up against other players and going back into the lab to practice your game than you would out of playing in a laggy online environment.
Any chance you can share the link to his thread?

atangerine

Smash Cadet
I've watched the advanced videos a couple times over now, like honestly it's an issue of my mechanics atm like I just need to practice over and over and over.

Things like L cancel and teching are not hard to learn at all, it's more so using them enough to a point where it becomes a natural thing to do without thinking about it.

How important is wave dash on falco? lol >.<

Spacies rely on wavedashing and wavelanding to shine and outmaneuver their opponents. So, it is very important.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Yeah playing with others that are right next to you is part of what makes Melee sooo great. I would not recommend online play.

Also take your time on learning all of the techniques. Personally I would hold off on wavedashing until you feel comfortable with SHFFL.

Angry Drunk Chav

Smash Cadet
Ok guys, thanks a bunch :)

SHFFL isn't too hard to learn, pretty simple stuff it's just doing it without thinkin etc i need to work on which will only come through playing and training.

Another question to avoid making a new thread, With wave dashing and L cancelling etc, what are the reasons behind the slower char like gannon not being played? I figured once you remove a lot of the speed issues these would be rather high tier?

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Melee is a very movement based game, especially now in the current meta. Ganon has slow starting wavedashes that dont go far and slow and short dashdance, with his main form of movement being platform wavelands. Since dashdancing is such a powerful tool he can get baited very easily and characters like fox or sheik can manuever in and out of his attack range. Ganon is the only good heavy hitter(besides falcon sorta) because he has gigantic hitboxes to work with and high damage attacks that lead to effortless yet effective punishes.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
My wave dashing on falco is incredibly short range and right now doesn't seem worth doing too much but working on it still. Probably just messing it up lol.

I need to get out the habit of relying on the my C stick to just constantly smash and need to try work on some reasonable combos.
First of, Falco is one of the harder characters to wavedash with because he gets off the ground so slow when jumping (frame 6 I think), so don't worry about it. I have trouble wavedashing with Falco and I've played this game competitively since 2008. Some characters are very easy to wavedash with like Luigi, other ones are much trickier like Bowser.

Secondly, whenever you are on the forums you'll be bumping into these people who said they learned everything in 15 minutes or so. Trust me, even if they did, they are in the minority (imo). Implementing wavedash to your game is a wholly different thing than learning the input (not to mention the timing is different for every character), basically everything technical you do has to come automatically and to do anything consistently (under pressure etc.) it takes at least tens of thousands of attempts. Needless to say, nobody can do tens of thousands of inputs in a span of 15 minutes, so ignore people who say things like that, they are merely trying to boast. Keep in mind, even top players mess up with their tech skill from time to time. For me, even after all these years I'm still getting better at wavedashing, l-canceling and short-hopping, so I'm still learning. It took me long time before I started learning to l-canceling when I hit my opponents shield for example.
Just aim for consistency and practice like a ************, you'll never be perfect but with practice you'll be hella consistent. This game is HARD

Angry Drunk Chav

Smash Cadet
Yeah **** the claw, i can't do that **** lol.

Thank you Chess for you eye opening post. Just hadn't seen a single Ganon in competitive play from everything i've watched.

_Novi, thank you very much. It helps to know that long term players are still feeling the brunt of this game lol. I think I may of thrown my self into the deep end with the Falco main pick. Consistency will only come with practice though I guess, but if I can hardly do it once then i'm hardly gonna be able to do it consistently lol.

I will get there i'm sure but hey for now I seem to be taking it pretty slowly.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
I'd recommend taking a break, honestly. If wavedashing is too frustrating to get down, just play the game for fun for a while, and practice other things. I don't play all that often, and WDing took me an entire summer to feel comfortable with, because I got bored sitting down to practice it. Eventually it just clicked when I was having fun with the game. Don't get too frustrated.

Angry Drunk Chav

Smash Cadet
Sadly i'm far too competitive to just take a break lol >.<

I've done it so far with every other game i've touched. I'm sure I will get this down soon enough. :)

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Yeah take a break(but I wouldnt play casually) if youre getting frustrated. Trust me, once you learn all of the techniques you will want to play Melee all the time, even if you dont have a partner(thats what happened to me lol). All of your hard work will compile into a thing of beauty eventually, take your time.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Silent Wolf tech skill vid nice, always inspirational. Makes you wanna go balls out all the time.

I can do all that Falcon junk, just sayin lol.

Sooo many ledge cancels. I suck at those. Silent Wolf still in god tier of tech skill.

If you see that the game can be pushed that far, that alone should make you strive to do better, new guys and veterans alike.

Frogman751

Smash Cadet
Could I ask what other games you have played competitively? I too enjoy competitive games much more than I probably should but what are you gonna do? I absolutely love to try and draw analogies from one competitive game to another. My train of though here is if you tell me which games you've played competitively I may be able to offer some incite to help you in your endeavors of becoming a better melee player.

Top Bottom