• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicality in Technicality

Charls

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cerryx
3DS FC
4983-5396-9144
Quite frankly, I do not find Marth a very technically demanding character (shocker). Just like in Melee, Marth really thrives off a good base of fundamentals and mindgames. Unlike in Melee however, Smash 4's iteration of Marth finds himself grasping for any sort of extra oomph that would possibly make him more than a shadow of his former self. So far, no exclusive tech has been found for the Hero King. On the other hand, Marth may not really have a necessity for any sort of janky, one note technical ability when what we may actually need is right in front of us. I am talking about the broad range of techs already found in Smash 4's engine such as, but more specifically I am talking about Perfect Pivoting and Dance Trotting. What I'm getting at is how Marth's holes in his gameplay could possibly be consolidated through proper, practical, application of these techs.

Perfect Pivoting seemed like a godsend when I first caught note of it. A simple, effective spacing tool for a character like Marth? Yes please! After further examination the community has maintained a skeptical view of Perfect Pivoting, although having appeared during recorded tournament sets does make an argument for itself. In particular, Perfect Pivoting Fsmash does allow for a much more precise - and more technically demanding - way of landing tippers than with an ordinary pivoted smash. Unfortunately Marth does lack moves to use with Perfect Pivots outside of said smash and his jab. On the other hand, Marth's Dance Trot seems to open more opportunities simply by how reliable, easy to control, and fast to pick up it is. He can't capitalize on wiffed attacks as greatly as he could in Melee because of the shorter distance on his dance and how bad his grab game is now (RIP). Still, regularly applying DTs has notably helped me and perhaps added a new layer to my gameplay.

As a question to the boards, do you look at these techs (not just the two mentioned above) like dull gimmicks that only serve for flashy purposes? Perhaps as useful, having their place but not as applicable during an actual tournament match? Or could you see Marth players using these to a greater extent in the near future?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Anything that helps mobility and spacing will NEVER be jank. Thing is this stuff has very little margin for error. You need frame perfect execution and that's no simple task. Pivot is garbage unless you can do it 90% of the time on command. I know I can't. It's really tough.

Charls

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cerryx
3DS FC
4983-5396-9144
Yeah, badly executed Perfect Pivots certainly do create very unfavorable situations. Actually the only way I've found to "consistently" (60%~) execute them was using a GCC with an analog stick whose rubber fell off. And that hurts.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Honestly any of these things really help any character and it definitely should be picked up on Marth if you're really dedicated to this character. I know I went into the lab instantly with perfect pivot and got into the habit of performing it. In the end its greatly improved my game plan with having more tools to mess with and I believe all of these things are a must for Marth.

In my opinion though Marth as a character doesn't have ANYTHING about him that is outstanding or really stands out to what you want in a character. The way I am playing Marth right now just makes me question why I'm not playing a much more better/suited character who benefits my play style more ex: Ike, Ganon, Bowser.

But it simply comes down to that I'm just dedicated to this character and probably always will be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom