• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Powersliding/ sheild walking

Atire0

Smash Cadet
from across the stage you might as well approach and shield as needed... but close up this could play a bit of a mindgame.
That's mad good. I also hate those people. They haven't even tried it and think it sucks....... Thanks to all the people that supports this.

You can slide a perfect sheild.

And Ayaz, I'm glad you used it as an advantage.

Crow!

Smash Lord
wow good find my man, Yesterday I was thinking after experimenting with it that this tech sucked but actaually later that day I tried on wi-fi, and man It worked great in short bursts. like Snakes Ftilt if shielded it moves you back, out of reach to counter making the shield useless, but if slid it counter acts the forward momentum allowing for a quick counter, and sometimes a perfect shield.

as for cancels and whatnot theres nothing there but it's great for approaching spammers and heavy attacks.
I'll retract what I said as far as online play goes, since you can't actually time shielding properly on wifi due to lag, neither can your opponent time the punishment properly (though I'd still suspect it's very weak against grabbing). During ordinary, lagless play, however, I would go so far as to say that simply walking toward your opponent and shielding at the last moment is strictly better, provided you're good enough to actually do it. Ideally you'll deliberately powershield, but even if you shield a bit early, you'll still have the forward momentum from walking - and you get exactly the same effect described in the quote above, only without draining your shield or limiting your own options.

This thread is a very similar case: the technique described is not actually useful (exception: ICs get a nice desynch out of it), instead, the advantages observed simply arose from the fact that people were consciously deciding to walk toward their opponents rather than running. Walking is awesome - you can do anything from a walk, including turning around, using a tilt attack, a smash in any direction or even shielding when you have to.

Walk -> sheild is useful. It's also nothing new. But shielding repetitively does nothing; if you're not under attack, using the shield just ties up your options and drains your shield. If there are projectiles coming at you, time your shields to powershield (or just shield) each one; in short, don't spam the button.

NY-Beast

Smash Apprentice
Just wait people will comment after a while. Can you use this going backwards? Or does it turn around when attempted to use in the other direction?

I'm guessing it turns you around?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Firstly, people here really need to learn what "mindgames" means.

Honestly, I can see no practical use for this whatsoever.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Ok, thanks for your comment but one mans trash is another mans treasure
LOL

This could be useful as a shortrange approach. (how is it with wario) Or it could be used to approach on yoshi's island and cancel the shieldbreak on the ledge XD.

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
thxs to your video i made it in to a run cancel and power shield also it works very great for speedy characters its better then stopping your run by using letting go of the stick.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Yes but this works for every character. This can be useless in some cases but the mindgame is not.
This technique must really be useless if you have to justify it with mindgames. Do you think your opponent is going to all of a sudden kill themselves because you are *gasp* walking and shielding.

Really the only way I could see this being useful by approaching close range with it and hoping you get a powershield.

Atire0

Smash Cadet
Mind games dont have to kill your opponent. Mind game means to trick your opponent. Metaknights b down is even a mind game if you use it and go the opposite way. The person you're playing doesn't expect it. If you powerslide as a mind game, you will approach your opponent and seem like you're an easy target to hit. He dashes towards you and you forward smash or tilt. I used it a lot and so have other people on this thread and it works fine. You just have to practice it if you want it to work better. It's like learning wavedashing for the first time in melee. It's useless at first but when you master it you have better mindgames and techniques.

Atire0

Smash Cadet
I've explained it too many times..... Here goes again, Do this toward your opponent from a far away distance, you look helpless and when they dash toward you f smash them. Preferably with someone who has a fast one such as game and watch or wario.

Top Bottom